is it at all hard to be friends with a moderator?

Armony

You know, staff are people too, and we (or at least, I, I can't really speak for the other staff members) like to make friends just as much as everyone else does. :P Just because we bear the responsibility of keeping this site running as smoothly as possible, and occasionally bringing the hammer down, doesn't mean that we aren't just as human as you.

On another forum (years ago) I was friend, both behind the screen and IRL with the administrator, one day after me getting chewed by an user, the administrator suggested me he could ban the user if I wanted... Wasn't an infraction deserving it, but he being he, and me being his 'friend' ... I felt dirty, not like throwing up, but deeply deceived. Wrote him an answer, erased it,was nothing to talk, no 'way back', I left that forum, erased my user account and never turn back.

This site is a dozzie, mod's are great and genuine easy going, like Big Mac. But on another places, it's risky and easily an all '0' roulette, everypony loses.

Theres one thing we're overlooking: When you're friends with a moderator, there's that sense that you're being "watched." What if you say something that upsets them, does that mean you have to worry about being modded? When you're in personal conversations with them, can you swear and make bawdy jokes? On the flip side, there are some places where mods will let their friends get away with more than non-friends. Being friends with a mod DOES involve factors that just arent there with peers.

As mods here at Canterlot, we stress professionalism. We avoid playing favorites, or picking on folks. Friendships should be seperate from duties after all. Nonetheless, being fronds with someone who isn't your peer has its own difficulties, and its own upsides too. It's just something you have to explore and negotiate. Every friendship has its own quirks that must be navigated, but ultimately, friendship is friendship.

If you're tip-toeing around a mod because you're worried that they might take a board-related action against you because of a personal disagreement, then you're not friends.

This thread is now locked.

It is not a question or suggestion directly relating to this board.

If a user has a concern about about the above, please don't be shy about contacting Manestream and/or myself.