Fanfiction brainstorming

Tamerlane

I've been contemplating a story set in Marabia for quite awhile now. Basically, the story would revolve around a Pegasus named Autumn Breeze, who becomes obsessed with the Daring Do books as a colt, and subsequently decides to become an archaeologist. After going to study in Canterlot, Autumn (who calls himself Monsoon, after his childhood alter-ego) goes an joins an archaeological dig that will go to Marabia to investigate a recently uncovered settlement. However, when Monsoon realises that being an archaeologist isn't as glamourous as he thought, he begins to wander off and subsequently discovers that the settlement was actually a spell-testing site for the cruel dictator Sultan Hazred, and ends up in a dangerous complex with real traps. After nearly getting killed nearly a dozen times, Monsoon eventually comes to have some sort of epiphany about fantasy and reality (or something like that). Any thoughts on my story idea? Any ways to improve it, or maybe contribute on what the nature of Monsoon's epiphany is?

The moment of epiphany will be when he's in a hopeless situation, 'doomed' with no chance of escape he relizes "oh crap this isnt like in the books, I'm really going to die!" of course you dont let him, but...

very troperific, but still... Otherwise, good story... Though you need a giant squid monster. After all, if Abdul Alhazred tested spells, there Cthulhu must be nearby ;)