Barley [Final]

AllThatChaz

I know I have another pending application here but I had a great idea that I didn't want to forget :U. I'm going to leave it in WIP status until after my application with Airheart is dealt with. This application is otherwise finished. I welcome all criticism :D

EDIT: Now that Airheart is was accepted, I've changed the title to Final.

Roleplay Type:

World of Equestria

Name:

Barley

Sex:

Male

Stallion

Species:

Earth Pony

Eye Color:

Dark blue

Coat Color:

Tan

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style:

Gray mane at a short length, full beard that's well-kept at a short length, the ends being slightly longer than at the middle (think of a kind of wide "W" shape).

Physique:

Corpulent, he's a jolly old stallion =p

Cutie Mark:

A large metallic looking beverage mug.

Origin/Residence:

Barley has spent his entire life in Fillydelphia.

Owner of his pub/restaurant, "The Colt's Canter."

Motivation:

Barley loves his neighborhood in Fillydelphia and always wanted to open a pub of his own there. He recently gathered enough bits to open his own place up. He wants to create one of those "everybody knows your name" kind of atmospheres where the locals can come and relax, enjoy a sarsaparilla soda or an apple cider, and gab it up with your friends and relatives.

Eating, drinking, being merry, spending time with new and old friends

Dislikes:

Anything formal.

Character Summary:

History – Barley was born and raised in Fillydelphia in a tight-knit neighborhood. He was never particularly smart growing up but he had an uncanny ability to find joy in everything he did and usually was able to pass that joy on to those around him.

Parents – His father and mother both worked in the food service industry and got him his first job when he was a young pony fresh out of school. He's worked in the kitchen on the line, ran tables, taken orders, served drinks, and run the front of the house.

Cutie Mark Story – When Barley was a young colt, his class held a "coffee house" type event to raise money for some cause, we'll say hunger. Barley was in charge of serving sodas and ciders. He was very nervous since he had never held that kind of responsibility before and he was all on his own. However, something about pouring a drink for his first customer calmed his nerves and he made small talk with the pony. After a number of drinks, the pony decided to donate a large sum of money towards the cause. A crowd of nearby ponies cheered and ordered drinks to celebrate. His cutie mark appeared as he poured drinks and laughed with the customers.

Flaws – Barley has had to put off his dream for a long time because of various issues. First off, he was never the brightest pony. He's certainly not stupid, but he wasn't cut out for the types of jobs that would help him finance a new business. Besides, Barley was happier working in food service anyway. Second, Barley has a daughter. The mother is no longer around and the young pony was born with an expensive medical condition. He had to spend a lot of time taking care of her as his parents weren't around anymore to help so he lost time that could have been spent working and he lost money paying the medical bills. Once his daughter grew, she became more and more self-reliant, so Barley could spend more time working and making money. This isn't so much a flaw as hardship that Barley has faced in his life. He is much stronger for it and he appreciates all of the joy he can get out of life now. His daughter's problems brought about a lot of stress, but hearing her laugh always made him feel better. He doesn't talk about his life very much, often preferring to talk to his customers about their lives. Anybody who knows the truth, which is just about nobody, knows that Barley had a rough time and suffered a lot of heartache, but you'd never know it talking to him.

Personality - I've hit points about his personality already. He's a jolly stallion who loves his family, his friends, and his neighborhood very deeply. He loves to laugh (and a hearty laugh it is!) and make merry. To him there is no greater joy than a pub full of happy patrons. He's had a fair amount of hardship in his life, but he is more free now to enjoy himself and is finally able to open his business. His daughter is the light of his life and seeing her happy brings tears to his eyes. He has a great sense of humor, but his jokes tend to be centered around groan-inducing puns. Those groans cause him to roar with laughter.

Edited by AllThatChaz

Hey there!

Love this character! App is well done, however there is ONE change I'd like to see.

Concerning his daughter and her disability, we'll say, I think it would be best if you keep the medical condition vague. Autism can be a sensitive subject for some. The concept itself is fine for his history, so long as it doesn't define him, but having the condition be vague would be best.

If you can do that for me, I'll stamp this in an instant! :D

Hey there!

Love this character! App is well done, however there is ONE change I'd like to see.

Concerning his daughter and her disability, we'll say, I think it would be best if you keep the medical condition vague. Autism can be a sensitive subject for some. The concept itself is fine for his history, so long as it doesn't define him, but having the condition be vague would be best.

If you can do that for me, I'll stamp this in an instant! :D

Thank you! I love this character too. I went ahead and changed the post to keep her condition more vague.