It all started in a little Café in Stalliongrad ... [OPEN]

Klutz was beaming at the three, glad to have made even more new friends! Just as she was about to open her mouth, she felt a hoof bump against hers. Moving her hooves out of the way to give whichever ponies hoof it was more room, she realised that it was Syd's hoof, and he was trying to hand her something.

She took it, and glanced discreetly under the table to see a ticket. Klutz raised her head. "What's th-" but stopped mid-question when she saw Syd shaking his head and zipping his lips. She tilted her head. Ehh?

Klutz suddenly noticed that Newsworthy was holding two of the same tickets, and grinning from ear to ear. Her eyes widened when she looked from Persnickety to Newsworthy. She glanced incredulously to Syd, and he nodded. She made hasty conversation with Persnickety to give Newsworthy time to hide the tickets. "So, um, Persnickety. A playwright huh? You must be super smart!"

Wow, Klutz. You're so smooth. She facehoofed mentally for the second time today. She had never had a way with words.

*a strange distortion of time and space occurs somewhere just out of view as something emerges into manifestation. The form that appears before it came into reality soon quickly shifted into a much smaller shape, until it was finally a pony. The pony was an odd one, mostly grey that in most light appeared to be faded white, yellow eyes with red pupils, black mane. Charcoal hoofs with a silvery tint to them, the pony was pretty buff, and sizable. But old looking at the same time. Around his body was a black version of a van helsing like outfit, the lenses to the round glasses a strange pink, blue, red, hue all depending on the angle of the light bouncing off of it.

After his manifestation was sorted all out he then made his way over to the other ponys after tilting the wide brim of the hat to cover his face.

The benefits of being enraptured within the depths of your creative little mind half the time is that you end up being completely oblivious to the world around you. Such was the case for the bespectacled mare. Syd had picked a lovely time for ticket shuffling - just as Persnickety had been double-checking and adjusting the scrolls and parchment within her saddlebag. She only looked up at Klutz's remark, grinning and waving a dismissive hoof.

"It's not truly a matter of intelligence, per se, although sometimes it can help. There is a formula to it all, but it's really more of a matter of what you feel more than what you think." She paused, clearing her throat. "I would've liked to be an actor, really...but, some things do not work out. I digress, though. What about you, Miss Klutz? What do you do for a living?"

She intended to listen attentively to whatever the other mare might say, but her gaze turned sidelong upon the approach of another pony. Well, she'd never seen him before. He certainly seemed the mysterious type...or rather, ominous. Persnickety straightened a bit.

"...Another new face, then? Or...lack thereof," she said, pantomiming fixing the brim of an invisible hat over her head.

Syd played it cool after the passing of the tickets was finished. He took another sip of his now lukewarm tea, as he had left it sitting with all this talking. Syd always enjoyed making new aquaintances and had a smile on his face. Syd took out a picture from the pocket of his now ruined coat, and stared at it for a good while. On closer inspection, it was a picture of him and a yellow mare on a bench in what looked like Canterlot where they were enjoying a beautiful day. Syd and the mare had each other in an embrace and Syd thought about his special somepony, and how she was doing with him on tour.

Syd's mental focus broke when he saw the creepy looking pony walk in. He looked quite odd, and like nothing he had seen before. Syd kept his eyes on him, as an aura of unease seeped into the bar wherever he walked.

As the strange pony entered, Newsworthy felt an unaccustomed feeling of dread. He couldn't place a hoof on what disturbed him about the grey stallion, but he certainly was not someone whom he wanted to be associated with.

Maybe he's just here for some cider and will be on his way.

He decided to try to draw the attention of his new friends away from the stranger. Besides, Persnickety had mentioned that she wished to become an actor. Nopony knew this, but Newsworthy harbored a secret desire to play a star role in one of the great plays produced in Canterlot. He had been in a few school plays, and loved the experience of the stage lights, the enraptured crowd, and most of all, the thunderous applause. Here was another something that they shared in common: love of the theater. After a little hesitation, he decided to breach the subject.

"So... Miss Persnickety, you say that you are interested in becoming an actor? I'm sure you have many interesting stories about productions you've been in."

*the pony looked around as his large round glasses glinted with reflected light under the black looking hat. His creepy gaze befalling upon each and everyone in the room before he gazed over to the female speaking in his direction. He would only give a slow wordless nod before starting to making his way further in there midst. He then took a seat just over to the side with some empty space on either side and make an order, a sort of very strong vodka as he pulled out from under his trench coat a ticket double checking before tucking it back away. His form did give off a strange feal around him as he sipped the vodka, pouring something red into it from a vial in his coat.

For the most part he kept to himself as he assessed those around, looking briefly at syd.*

Not receiving a response from the unsettling newcomer disturbed her, somewhat. Way to put your hoof in your mouth, Persnick'. Thank goodness Newsworthy piped up to try and prod some more life into the conversation. Even though the topic was a bit like prodding at a sore spot, for her.

"Not-...not really, actually. Uhm...I haven't been in a play in quite some time, you see. More time than I'd like." Her nose crinkled, briefly. "I suppose my acting is still mediocre in comparison to my writings. Even though they're not truly the best, either. I have a lot of work ahead of me...!" She forced a chuckle, giving a small sidelong glance towards the mysterious stallion, who seemed to have situated himself comfortably near their table. Something about him still felt amiss...

Windy Daze entered the cafe sleepily, he had a long night getting to his former hometown via his hot air balloon and was i need of a nice hot drink to rejuvenate himself. he sat down at a table next to where a mysterious grey pony sat and ordered a cider. while waiting Wind accidentally drifted off to sleep when he awoke the pegasus found himself on the floor with everyone else staring down at him. feeling only slightly embarrassed gave a weak smile chuckled a bit and said

"oops?"

Newsworthy noticed with dismay that Persnickety's attention was still being diverted by the vodka-sipping newcomer. He had to find some topic that wouldn't make her uncomfortable. He was quite frustrated that his attempts to impress her, involve her in the conversation, and generally make a good impression had been falling flat. Not that she was doing anything wrong, he just really wanted to get to know her better, but felt that his attempts were failing miserably.

Perhaps, he thought, I need to earn her trust before she will open up. Some ponies are like that, especially shy mares that I've known.

Out loud, he replied, "We all have ways in which we can improve, but I've felt much the same way about my work, even when it is some of the best I've ever done. That article of mine that won the Ponylitzer a while back was one that I was completely in angst over for a month. I wonder if you might have heard of it, it was that one investigative piece about the Discord incident. Even though I knew that I had done my best work, it felt so inadequate. I thought that it couldn't even compare to the work by the other pressponies at Canterlot Daily. You can imagine my surprise when the editor insisted it should be the lead story for the day. And then just hours after publication I was getting letters from all over Equestria from ponies who were moved by it, saying that it really helped them understand the plight of the ponies affected by the disaster. All I'm trying to say is that sometimes we have to take a step back, and realize that all we can do is our best, while constantly working to improve, and you never know what will be your big break."

He began to blush, realizing that he had probably offended her by talking so much about himself. Oh hayseed. Now she'll think I'm nothing but a braggart. Nice going.

Suddenly, he heard a thud from across the room, and craned his neck to see what was going on. A pegasus was lying on the floor next to the mysterious pony? What had the stranger done to him?

Meanwhile, across the cafe, the sound of a loud thud could be heard, as Deep Bass slammed his head on the table. He looked back up to the waiter pony, rubbing his forehead with his hoof, setting his amber aviators on the table, letting his silver-flecked, midnight blue eyes sparkle lightly in the dim lighting.

"How could you be out of Black Tea? That's like... the most common kind of tea in the world."

The waiter pony quickly apologized, and made a recommendation.

"My apologies, sir... We've never really had much order for it. I could get you a nice glass of Trottingham Select tea, if you'd like."

Bass groaned, and rolled his eyes.

"No thanks. I'll just take a nice, hot glass of coffee... If you have it."

The waiter pony nodded, and took off to fetch the coffee. It had been a while since Bass had been to Stalliongrad, and honestly, this visit was playing itself out to be his last. Bass looked over at his guitar case, which was leaning against the end of the booth, admiring the craftsmanship behind the case. It wasn't very often that Bass could find a decent case shaped to fit his V-shaped guitar AND didn't hinder his flight. Another thing that continuously caught his eye about the case was the material. It was a stunning matte black leather with a silver placement of his cutie mark on the body part of the case. Yeah, it was kind of easy to find things with a Bass Clef on them, but this one was hoof-made, and that's the only reason Bass came all the way to Stalliongrad to purchase it. Bass heard a small conversation on the other side of the cafe, and shot a glance over to a table filled with other ponies, observing each pony's appearance, all the while not being very stealthy about it.

*would slowly sip at the red looking vodka straight from the bottle as he silently just.... stat there. His aura permeating throughout the room like a barely noticeable whisper. As the Pegasus fell backwards onto teh floor he slowly shifted to look down at him with a canted head. His glasses reflecting orange down at the man as his lips curled into a smile. He spoke in a strange ghostly whisper down at the pony." Be more careful. "he then went back to sipping his drink savorings the burn.

As far as truly being social went, if she were any more aloof, Persnickety could probably pass as a veritable alley cat - scrawny appearance and all. Speaking of felines, the little game of "cat-and-mouse" that she and the reporter were currently playing would no doubt be an arduous one. Aloof as a cat and evasive as a mouse. Phew.

When N.W. made his small speech, though, she did listen. The mention of Discord earned him a roll of her eyes and a small, scoffed "tch." She removed her glasses for a moment, rubbing gently at her tired eyes. "Indeed, I believe I'd read the article. Miserable monster of a draconequus... I recall that it was quite eloquently written, indeed." Glasses replaced along her muzzle, she folded her arms upon the edge of the table. "To address the point, though, because you do have one...it is very had to believe that your best is the best you can do when it is met time and time again with rejection." Her expression had soured, and she must've noticed such, because it quickly softened amongst her pause in talking. "...Your attempt at consolation is appreciated, Sir Newsworthy, and I apologize if I sound so bitter over the whole thing. I suppose I just have a ways to go until I--"

Her ramblings had been cut short by the thunk of yet another of the newer customers, landing on the floor. Wonderful. At least it had just been his own drowsiness and not whatever that gray stallion might have done. Now, that's no way to think. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Her attention turning back to the group at her own table, she caught sight of the white-pelted pegasus across the room, eyeing them over. Blinking, she managed another smile - forced though it was. Perhaps her snippy bout had drawn attention. Oh, Celestia. Too many ponies. Too much going on. Must...resist...urge...to find an excuse...to go back home...and hide amidst all the bad plays...and poorly-dabbled-in musicals...

*Would raise a brow under the cover of his large hat, his ear flicking at the mention of discord. His lips part offering a toothy smile at all the distraught going on around him. A strange mental whispering teases the brown female with blue hair as she mumbles the word miserable monster.~ Leave so soon? ~The mental whisper returns to the brown female. The grey pony looks over to her for a moment more as he then goes back to sipping at his vodka glancing over to the clumbsy pony called wind.

It appeared that the fall might have been an accident, but Newsworthy decided to keep an eye on the grey stallion anyway. Bringing his attention back to Persnickety, he looked pensive for a moment before replying in his lilting English accent,

"My first attempts at writing went, I dare say, at least as badly. When I was a colt, I had aspirations to be an adventure novelist. Every time I tried to get something published, though, I received nothing but sneers. One editor literally threw me out of his office, yelling that I was good for nothing. When I look back at it now I can see why ... " He chuckled. "My books were absolute drivel. But I digress. At the time I felt awful, thinking that the world was so unfair. Then, when I was at university, I discovered my talent for reporting. I found that all my years of writing bad fiction hadn't made me a novelist, but had trained me to research and craft a compelling article. Again, I don't know if this story will be helpful to you, but perhaps you are still looking for your niche."

He smiled his most winsome smile.

...What...was that...?

Persnickety's ears folded back, brow furrowing in mild befuddlement. Had that been a whisper? But, from where...? Maybe the claustrophobia was getting to her, making her hear things. She gently gave a shake of her head and glanced back to Newsworthy, "Er...no, no. You're still making quite valid points. It's all just terribly dizzying, sometimes. I get like this when I have a million hazy ideas in my head..." She rubbed at the side of her head with her hoof, as if she could feel each and every one of them jumbling about in there.

"They say that the pursuit of happiness is almost the best part of it all. I just feel like I'm galloping about in circles. When I got my cutie mark that long while ago, it was the night in which I'd played the lead role in my school's spring recital. I'd never been happier." She glanced up at the trio sitting at the table, her gaze quickly dipping back downward and the volume of her voice lowering to naught but a mumble. "...I don't think I've been as happy, since." What a downer she was starting to feel like. This was no place and no company in which to feel so heavy-hearted. "Perhaps I need to find a new direction to take...I don't know. Mmh...I feel so very silly for blathering on and on about this, though. I'm being a rather gloomy conversationalist. Again, I apologize."

Her? Apologize? He thought. There's certainly no reason... GAH! I'm getting nowhere fast! I've got to think of something that she will actually enjoy talking about. As much as I like to hear the sound of my own voice *partial sarcasm*, it's her I really want to hear. Hmm. Maybe a little encouragement.

"No need to apologize for the way you feel. Whenever I am going through a rough patch in my life I find that talking through it with other ponies helps brighten my spirit and help me find solutions. If you need a sympathetic listening ear, I'm here."

He sincerely hoped that she would take it as he intended, as a sincere offer of help. As soon as the words left his mouth, though, he realized she would probably think he was just trying to woo her. Which he was. But that certainly wasn't his main concern at the moment. He always had a soft spot in his heart for ponies in need, and he felt himself identifying with the situation she was going through. He began wondering if anypony he knew would be able to assist her in her career...

*watches the two that seemed to be the most lively ponies in the room. He glanced over to the musical pony that came in and, perhaps passed out on the counter. He lets out a faint barely hear able raspy chuckle under his breath as he sipped his drink again, finding the brown pony's reaction outwardly and inwardly amusing. It did take some self restraint, oh god painful self restraint not to make a sound of boorishness to there thoughts of the two going back and forth. Though hed have fun poking at there minds while he was there, sifting through as he just stared off at the direction ahead of him*

Well, at least they both enjoyed the sound of each other's voices, for as gloomy as she might have been feeling, she did like hearing him talk, and listening to what he had to say. He spoke with conviction, as if he truly did know and understand the situation. It was...admirable, in its own way.

"You are most kind, sir. And I believe I am grateful to have such good company, rather than lurking back off to my flat for the rest of the afternoon." Indeed - dull though conversation may get, it was always better than being alone, stewing in one's own misery. "I am trying not to force things to come to me, be they inspiration or anything involving my motivation. I take it as it...comes to me..."

The dull rumble of something that sounded like a chuckle (and a rather unfriendly one, at that) caused her to swallow the antisocial lump in her throat. Eugh. "A-Anyway. As it is said - good things come to those who wait." I suppose I just have to keep on waiting. Just a little longer...right...?

Bass was now sipping on his coffee, sitting silently, and tapping one hoof to the rhythm of an inaudible tune. He was beginning to space out, when out of nowhere, a high pitched shrill came from nowhere, causing Bass to nearly jump out of his skin.

"HI, BASS!"

Bass jumped a bit, spilling his nearly impossibly acquired coffee all over the counter, as the bubbly yellow unicorn suddenly appeared behind him. Once more, a loud thud could be heard throughout the cafe, as Bass slammed his head on the counter again, raising it, and looking back at his friend.

"Darnit, Midsy! You have got to stop doing that! Do you know how hard it was for me to even get this coffee?"

The yellow mare smiled, innocently.

"Sorry, Bass. I didn't mean to scare you. It's just soooooo FUNNY!"

This comment was met by an angry glare from the white pegasus.

Hearing another pony enter and strike up a conversation behind him, Newsworthy thought, This little bar is really beginning to fill up. Must be the lunch rush.

"Interesting perspective you have on inspiration. Perhaps it's because I've been working in news for some time now, but I find that for me, inspiration doesn't come to those who wait, but to those who work."

He blushed a deep, crimson shade, realizing the obvious error in his statement.

"Not at all implying that you're not a hard worker. But ... I personally am most inspired when I am in the middle of the action." As he spoke, his eyes shone with pride and happiness. "When I'm there at the scene of the crime, the story just comes to me. I don't have to wait for the right words. They flow from me like blood from an open wound. I can't staunch the tide. It's much the same when I'm writing my books on science. As I read the research articles written by professors for professors, all I do is consider how to explain the topic to my nieces. If they could understand it and find it interesting, I know that thousands of ponies, large and small, will too. And besides," he chuckled again, "It's much more fun to imagine their giggling faces as I liken the lever to a seesaw than to force myself to 'write what the ponies want,' as my publisher is constantly admonishing."

He realized he had been rambling again. Why can't you stop talking about yourself for two seconds?

"Anyway," he finished hastily, "Perhaps a change of pace would do your creative juices some good. You never know where you're going to find inspiration, but for me, it's hardly ever from my daily routine."

He suddenly noticed that she was holding her head with a hoof. "Are you alright? I think I have some headache medicine in my briefcase, somewhere." He began digging through his stacks of papers, ink bottles and quills. As he did so, a picture accidentally fell onto the table. It was a picture of him, looking only slightly younger, with a stunningly beautiful unicorn beside him. They were looking into each other's eyes, and smiling knowingly.

*keeps observing the others as he silently sipping his drink appearing all innocent while at the same time very eary and creepy. His meer presence causing a bit of discontent and disorder in the most small and subtly un noticeably ways it seems. He smirked watching the photo fall to the table, his gaze shifting to face them for a brief moment as the glasses reflected a bit as he adjusted his hat to block some of the light. Then thats when hed try and steer midsy to do something annoying to the one she was talking to. ~ Yes, Longer. Teee heee heeeee~ trys to make her think something pervy with a whispering mental suggestion. Simply to make her blush twords the other pony.

The Unicorn patted Bass on the back, and sat next to him. "You know, Bass, you really should stop being so.... Uhm... What's a good word to describe you, right now?" The mare tapped her chin, for a moment, pondering the word that could describe Bass's attitude at the moment. She found it slightly odd that her usually calm, and laid back best friend was being so fussy. Then, the word finally came to her. "Persnickety! That's what you're being, Bass! Hah! I told you I'd come up with the right word!"

Bass raised an eyebrow at his newly arrived friend. "Uh... What? What does that even mean?"

"Well.... It means you're being fussy. Is it because you have that show tonight, and you haven't written any new music since... you know... THAT happened?"

Bass sighed, and rubbed his forehead.

"You know full well why I haven't written anything, Midsy."

"Yeah, I know, Bass. Say... that pegasus over there is kinda cute. Why don't you go ta- Huh? You say something, Bass?"

Bass raised an eyebrow at Midsy, and shook his head.

"Nope. Not a thing."

"Hmmm.... Didn't think so."

It would seem that the mysterious entity's attempt at a mind trick had no effect on the ditzy mare, what with her Pinkie Pie-esque demeanor.

"Now, as I was saying, you should go talk to her, Bass."

Bass shook his head.

"Sorry, but no."

Then, Midsy grinned mischeviously.

"Fine. Then I will."

And with that, Midsy pranced off toward the table with the other ponies, humming happily as she did so, not even giving Bass a moment to argue.

Uh, yeah. Persnickety was smart. "What about you, Miss Klutz? What do you do for a living?"

"I'm just a singing teacher. I teach foals mostly. I'd love to sing profes ... sionally," she struggled with the long word, and giggled. "but I'm not good enough for that .. yet!"

Klutz zoned out for a while, every now and then noticing the fact that a new pony would pop up. Hey, he looks creepy.. Eesh, why is it so busy today?

Klutz leaned back in her seat, listening to the others, yet not really paying much attention. She looked up when she heard a dull thud from another white-coated pegasus pony across the café. Suddenly, she shot up into the air and zoomed towards the pegasus, only to crash into a chair in her haste. She looked up to the pegasus, just as a yellow mare passed her by, once more grinning sheepishly at him. She seemed to be doing a lot of that lately. Her smile faltered when she realised that she did not, in fact, recognize this pony

"Oh, oops, sorry, I thought you were somepony I knew."