[Sky Dragon] Shard Talyn

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Shard Talyn

Sex: Female

Species: Sky Dragon

Eye Color: Red with slit pupils

Scale Color: Green over most of her body, with iridescent blue scales on her belly and wings.

Spines/Horns/Markings Color & Style: Shard has a plethora of thin, blue spines that hang down along her head, as if they were a messy head of hair. A pair of long, thin horns jut forward from her brow, curving downward about halfway along their length. Her tail is barbed, and she often curls the tip when not using it.

Physique: Lean, but strong and tough

Flame Color: White

Origin/Residence: Painted Pinto Desert

Motivation: Become a legendary hero

Likes: Gold, heroism, lava baths, buffalo, diamond dogs, fizzy water

Dislikes: Her hoarding instinct, villainy, the ocean

Character Summary:

Shard was hatched in the mountains near the Painted Pinto desert, and spent her early childhood with a few other dragons. She never really seemed to fit in, though her laid-back attitude meant that she was never really picked on either. Her mother paid little attention to her, and she didn't even know her father. She was left to fend for herself most of the time, which suited her. It meant that she was free to do as she pleased, and she took to exploring the countryside.

It was while exploring that she first encountered a tribe of buffalo. While most animals had the good sense to be terrified of a dragon, even a young one such as her, the buffalo had good relations with many dragons, and they treated her to delicious gemstones and told stories over a roaring fire.

Shard enjoyed their company so much more than her own kind that she took to meeting with any tribes that came into the area, trading stories and trinkets. One day she flew forth to meet one such group of buffalo, only to discover that it was being pursued by a desert hydra. Though still young enough that she was dwarfed by the monster, she took a deep breath and belched out a dazzling ball of flame, sending the creature's heads into a confused panic and sending it packing.

The grateful buffalo showered her with praise and gifts, briefly sending her hoarding instincts into overdrive. She nearly turned on them, until she remembered the stories she had learned. She knew in her heart that she wanted to be the hero of one of those stories, not the villain, and she retook control of herself.

She returned home and dedicated herself to training. The other dragons didn't know what to think, seeing such a dramatic change in young Shard. She quickly changed from one of the laziest young dragons in the mountains into one tough enough to rival any of her peers. She trained and sparred with the aggressive young males in her area until she was agile and strong, though she was generally aloof enough that she still failed to really fit in with them.

Then came the day of the Great Migration. Every dragon in the mountains had been planning it for years, so it was hardly a surprise, but Shard realized that she didn't want to go. The Migration would take her to the Badlands, far away from everything she knew, from everything she dreamed of being. So it was that when all the other dragons set flight for parts unknown, Shard slipped away and made for a local Diamond Dog settlement, where she knew she could find work.

I think this app looks great so far, but the only question I have is what she actually does as a Mercenary.

In the world that we know, Mercenaries are not bound by any ethical code or guidelines and are able to use any means necessary to fulfill their contract. I'd imagine in Equestria they're not quite so ruthless, but still a bit frowned upon.

With this in mind, what kind of work does an Equestrian Mercenary do?

This isn't a huge, pressing matter, just a question I, personally, have about this app. If you can clarify I think that'd be great, though if not I'll probably stamp this within a couple days anyway and see what happens. :)

She doesn't really know much about mercenary work herself, but mostly she presumes she'll be hired to protect weaker creatures who need to travel through dangerous areas, such as the Everfree Forest, track down criminals, protect the weak, etc. She's only a mercenary in occupation, not in mindset. She certainly wouldn't take any jobs that would put her on the wrong side of her moral compass, even if she doesn't actually have a code of conduct that's set in stone. On the other hand, her tastes are rather expensive, as she is a dragon, so better pay means better eating.