Gem Hunt (FINISHED)

SteelEagle

ValenOrange1withtext.png

He knew all about Rarity's excellence in her business affairs as well as the long reach of her high-quality fashions. Still, it was amazing to think that the very gems he was collecting were not only going to be made into her fashions, but were destined to go all the way around Equestria! It filled his heart with a sliver of pride to know that he was part of this. Maybe Applejack wouldn't have looked at it that way but then again Valen believed she looked at any sort of clothing with the same amount of distaste.

Valen smiled as he hitched the wagon back to himself, wiggling until he felt the wagon snug against him. He could feel small beads of sweat forming, which was something he had grown accustomed to on the farm. If anything, he was feeling much better than he had any reason to feel, mostly because gems were always mighty pretty and he was around someone who knew how to use them.

"Miss Rarity, I believe we are ready to move on. I also have a question about fashion, if you wouldn't mind," Valen said as he grunted and got behind Rarity.

"Well, two. First off, how do you decide what stitch to use? I'm always at a loss when i try to imitate your work and I find it highly frustrating. Your stitches are simply sublime. Also, how did you first meet Applejack?" Valen asked, mind trying to compute how a farm gal and a fashionista could mix.

"Miss Rarity, I believe we are ready to move on. I also have a question about fashion, if you wouldn't mind."

Rarity smiled and nodded. "Indeed," she said as her horn lit up again and she started to trot toward another bunch of buried gems, this one slightly deeper than the last. "And sure. Feel free to ask whatever you wish."

"Well, two. First off, how do you decide what stitch to use? I'm always at a loss when i try to imitate your work and I find it highly frustrating. Your stitches are simply sublime. Also, how did you first meet Applejack?"

Rarity considered the first question a moment before giving a slight nod. "While, it's quite... complicated really. There are many types of stitches, and really it depends on exactly what effect you want in the finished product. Some stitches are nicely decorative, others are hardly visible at all. Some are very strong and durable, others simple and straightforward. Most all of them have their place, it simply depends on what you as the designer are looking to do at that spot on the dress."

The unicorn giggled slightly before moving to the other question. "As for your cousin, I don't really know. We're both Ponyville born and raised. I don't really know when I first ran into her as a filly, but we were simple acquaintances." She smiled before continuing. "You see, we weren't really friends until just recently. When Twilight Sparkle moved to Ponyville, the six of us, Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Pinkie your cousin and I, we were sort of forced to come together. Friendships formed and deepened after that." Rarity laughed and shook her head. "In the case of your cousin it was hardly immediate between the two of us. It took a while for it to build up to where it is now, but it probably started with a sleepover the two of us had with Twilight this one stormy night not too long ago."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

The next patch of gems glowed, the action still somewhat of a shock to Valen. It was unnerving to see something below the surface glow with such perfect and precise clarity, the gems underneath as clear as if they were sitting behind a window. He unhooked the wagon and trotted over, digging the shovel in and with a grunt forcing it down into the dirt. He repeated the motion a few times and then with another grunt, plied the shovel upwards and fell on his flank, the dirt being tossed every which way. The gems were lazily pulled up from their spots and after a moment, Valen got up, dusted them off, and placed them in the wagon.

He took a huge breath, this gem unit being of a greater difficulty than the last, Luckily, he had been listening to Rarity speak, which made the entire experience far more rewarding.

"Yes, that sleepover! Applejack told me all bout that incident when I told her I was to spend the day with you, Miss Rarity. I can...see how both of you could have had such difficulty getting along, truth be told," Valen said, his voice trailing off a little as he decided to not open the can of worms any further. He looked back the gems and with a dumb realization, gave a strange and confused look.

"And Miss Rarity, how many gems do you usually try to collect in any given hunt?"

"Yes, that sleepover! Applejack told me all bout that incident when I told her I was to spend the day with you, Miss Rarity. I can...see how both of you could have had such difficulty getting along, truth be told."

Rarity smiled, wondering for a moment how Applejack might have told the story of that little incident. She laughed as she thought about it. "We really couldn't find much in the way of common ground in those early days, but things came around pretty quickly after that. I now count her as one of my greatest friends," she said with a warm, reflective smile.

"And Miss Rarity, how many gems do you usually try to collect in any given hunt?"

The unicorn nodded at this question. She spoke, "It's not a task I like to repeat regularly, so I try and get enough to last me a long while." She indicated the wagon where she had placed the first bunch of gems. "Enough to fill that wagon to the brim and more. It's a full days work to gather so many."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen wasn't prone to moments of indecisiveness and discomfort when he had knowledge of how to complete a task. It just wasn't his nature; once a problem could be solved, he would have no reason to fear it. But this was slightly different, as the sheer number of gems he had to collect in order to please Miss Rarity was quite high. He took a large gulp and tried to steel himself, yet that failed. He would have to try something else.

"How many times have you done it this year? Who usually comes with you? I mean, I've heard of this baby dragon named Spike but that's all I know of him. And what of your other friends? I've only been here so long and, well, I'm not the greatest at socializing, Miss Rarity," He said, trotting up the hill with only the starting hint of strain. He wasn't a physical specimen by any stretch and it would show sooner or later.

"I'm sorry if I seem nosy, Miss Rarity. I just find it fascinating, is all."

"How many times have you done it this year? Who usually comes with you? I mean, I've heard of this baby dragon named Spike but that's all I know of him. And what of your other friends? I've only been here so long and, well, I'm not the greatest at socializing, Miss Rarity,"

Rarity giggled. Her young friend really could be excitable. It was quite cute.

"I've done it less this year than most. That diamond dog ordeal I mentioned gave me gems enough for quite a long time," she said with a steady nod. "In a normal year that might have lasted me the entire year, but this has been my busiest year ever. I've gone gem hunting a number of times since then."

"As for my friends, yes Spike is my typical companion. He's the sweetest little dragon, willing to go to any lengths for me. I'm a little surprised Applejack hasn't told you more about him," she said with a giggle. "I'm not sure the rest of my friends are the best for the job. Well, your cousin would be perfect for it, but she's always so busy around the farm, and Twilight could probably excavate these hills on her own quicker than I could ever hope to match if she really wanted to, I suppose. The other three, however, are overly timid, quick to complain and Pinkie Pie. They wouldn't be very productive for those reasons."

"I'm sorry if I seem nosy, Miss Rarity. I just find it fascinating, is all."

"It's quite alright, dear. Ask all the questions you have. Believe me, some pleasant conversation will make this more fun for us both," she said with a laugh. "Especially with how much work we still have to do." Her horn lit, up pointing the way to the next nearest bunch of gems. "Speaking of which, let's continue."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

He was honored to be helping Rarity out, but the thought that this was a common occurrence despite all the of the work being put into just one trip boggled the colt's mind. How many gems could she go through in a single dress? If the requirement was for so many, then it had to be a somewhat obscene amount. While he once believed there were never enough gems on something, he personally resolved to not attach such significance to them in normal attire.

He knew of the other ponies well enough, not having meet any of the others but Applejack's descriptions being detailed enough to get the image across. That was except for Spike, partially because the thought of a baby dragon was foreign to him. From what he knew it was no big threat but something still seemed off about the idea. Still, he trusted Rarity's instincts and if she said he was sweet, Valen could trust he was a sugary delight. And knowing about dragons and their claws, Valen knew he was a mite more helpful than Valen could possibly be.

The two continued for some time, finding gems and digging them out. The pace started off fast but gently started to slow down, as the mix of Valen's exhaustion and the increasingly rough terrain worked to grind the pair down to a halt. For all of his starting bluster, he was still a very young colt whose mannerisms and physique were developed in the city of Manehattan. Despite his willingness to help, there was only so much he could do. The sun rose high above the path they found themselves on, his shovel weakly pulling out another set of gems and dropping them into the wagon. He hitched the wagon back on.

"Ah...oooh...ahhh...ooohhh...ahhh...oh, okay, ahhh, where to, ohhh, next?" Valen asked, breathing heavily and cursing the existence of fashion.

"Ah...oooh...ahhh...ooohhh...ahhh...oh, okay, ahhh, where to, ohhh, next?"

Valen groaned and panted, clearly exhausted. As he should be, Rarity supposed. They had been hard at work for hours now. Through the colt's efforts, the wagon was now over half full with an abundance of beautiful gems. Rarity supposed it was time to lighten up though. At this rate Valen would collapse pretty soon.

"I think it's about time we take a little break for a while, Valen, dear," Rarity suggested with a steady nod. "Let's stop a while and enjoy some of the food you packed."

Rarity smiled at the colt. She was less tired than he, obviously, but a break would do them both some good, she figured."We'll return back to work once our energy is recharged."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen unhitched the wagon and almost immediately fell to his front hooves, taking in about a dozen deep breaths of air as he allowed himself to settle for a moment. He was exhausted, but he wasn't going to let others suffers the indignity of a clothless picnic outing in such an environment. He pulled the tablecloth from his saddlebag and laid it out on a patch of ground nearby, as even as he could find. He then placed his saddlebag on the ground and pulled out the food he had brought, such as some basic sandwiches of various types, apples, and some drinks. He ordered them appropriately and then fell down.

"Ahh...oohhh...well, it's certainly a fair bit of work, Miss Rarity. How...did you manage to do this all by yourself alone before your friends and Spike came along? I...don't mean to say that I don't believe you couldn't, but, ahh, it seems a rather hard job to do...I'm just surprised...that there aren't companies who do this...there are in Manehattan. My friend Cobblestone's mother works for one," he rambled on as he dug through the sandwiches, picking two. He then weakly trotted up to Rarity.

"Dandilion for me, and a daisy for the lady," Valen said softly, hoofing her the sandwich before laying down on the cloth.

"Ahh...oohhh...well, it's certainly a fair bit of work, Miss Rarity. How...did you manage to do this all by yourself alone before your friends and Spike came along? I...don't mean to say that I don't believe you couldn't, but, ahh, it seems a rather hard job to do...I'm just surprised...that there aren't companies who do this...there are in Manehattan. My friend Cobblestone's mother works for one."

Rarity smiled at this question. Giving a nod, she started to speak. "Well, truth be told, I'm not so delicate a flower to be unable to lift a shovel on my own. I do detest getting my hooves dirty if I can avoid it, but in those early days when I was fighting my hardest to get the Boutique off the ground, I was willing to push myself through a little more unpleasantness if it would make the important difference." Rarity gave a laugh and nodded again before adding, "That and it's never really been so difficult to convince some of the local stallions to help me with little things when I need it."

"Oh, and Ponyville's too small a community to need companies like that as Manehatten does," Rarity said in a steady voice. "I don't imagine such a company would have many customers here...."

"Dandilion for me, and a daisy for the lady."

Rarity took the daisy sandwich and smiled. "Thank you very much, Valen," she said before taking a bite.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

It was a calming thought to know that a mare of such refinement and class was able to adapt and push through such a rather ungratefully dirty and rough job. If she could then he had every confidence that he would get a second wind, possibly a third wind, before this day was over. Though at this intersection in space and time he took deep and concrete breaths without really thinking about the future. At least he had a dandelion sandwich, though it was the first of its kind he had ever made. Dandelions were harder to work with daisies, which weren't any sturdier but had more flavor. He had given it to Rarity with the unwritten justification that being the one in charge of this expedition, she deserved the best. Such was Manehattan law.

"I can see how...this town wouldn't have a business like that, Miss Rarity. And no need to thank me. I'm indebted to you for taking me...out on...this expedition," The colt said softly as he took the first bite of his dandelion sandwich and swallowed it slowly. Had he cooked it all the wa- oh, there it was, the delayed taste. He took a big gulp; not bad for a first try.

"How is your sandwich, Miss Rarity? Is it good? I'm sure it has nothing on what you could make or what you may order at an eater but I figured it was good travel food," Valen asked, desperately seeking her approval.

"I can see how...this town wouldn't have a business like that, Miss Rarity. And no need to thank me. I'm indebted to you for taking me...out on...this expedition."

Rarity gave a mild laugh. As she saw it, gem hunting wasn't exactly a treat considering the work it entailed. She supposed that, compared to what Applejack might have put the colt through this might actually be slightly less work though. Still, calling it a debt was a little silly to her.

"How is your sandwich, Miss Rarity? Is it good? I'm sure it has nothing on what you could make or what you may order at an eater but I figured it was good travel food."

The unicorn grinned softly before replying. "It's quite delectable, dear. The taste is just perfect. You've outdone yourself really." She giggled. "And I do like to cook on occasion, but it's hardly what I'd call a specialty of mine. I have nothing on your cousin really. I'm really not sure I could do any better than this."

Rarity ate a little more of her sandwich and nodded. It was really quite tasty. A young pony who could actually cook? It somehow made Sweetie Belle's negative culinary skill even sadder.

"So, Valen. How are things for you back in Manehattan?" Rarity asked after a few moments. Valen was usually so eager to ask her about every little thing Rarity was left with few chances to turn it around and inquire about the colt. It felt right for her to give Valen a chance talk. Besides, she had to say she was pretty curious to learn more about her young friend.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"It's quite delectable, dear. The taste is just perfect. You've outdone yourself really. And I do like to cook on occasion, but it's hardly what I'd call a specialty of mine. I have nothing on your cousin really. I'm really not sure I could do any better than this."

Her words certainly put the colt at ease. He had been viciously worried that he would have messed something up and she would have found ample cause to render moot his effort at having made it. He didn't know why the prospect had filled him with such dread but it had and its passing had left him feeling more than a little relieved, and the fact she could claim no better certainly gave him a small measure of pride. He might now be a cook, but he wasn't a negative factor in that department, if nothing else could be said for him.

"So, Valen. How are things for you back in Manehattan?"

Valen was caught off guard visibly by her interest, shaking his head as if trying to scramble himself into a state of awareness.

"Well, uhh, I've been in Ponyville a while now so I haven't been too keen on keeping up, but it's good...was when I left, I mean. My school is very good, I learn a lot, and my parents are doing very well. And there's plenty of really good shops, too! But I mean, I haven't been there and my parents have only written me once since I came here. They've been really busy, you know, with the oranges they sell and everything of course," Valen said quickly, as if searching for something about himself to talk about and then beating around the real issue.

"Well, uhh, I've been in Ponyville a while now so I haven't been too keen on keeping up, but it's good...was when I left, I mean. My school is very good, I learn a lot, and my parents are doing very well. And there's plenty of really good shops, too! But I mean, I haven't been there and my parents have only written me once since I came here. They've been really busy, you know, with the oranges they sell and everything of course."

Something about Valen's reply seemed unsteady and unsure. Rarity wondered if he wasn't avoiding certain things. Did Valen not have a fulfilling home life back in the city? She wondered how she should proceed. She didn't want to press any uncomfortable issues on the young pony.

"I see, darling. Well, I'm sure your parents still have you in their thoughts even if they don't write," Rarity said, less sure than she actually said.

She figured it best to quickly change the conversation to something perhaps a little easier to talk about. She nodded and started to speak, smiling a little as she did, "What about here in Ponyville? Have you made a lot of friends? How are you and little Apple Bloom getting along?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"I see, darling. Well, I'm sure your parents still have you in their thoughts even if they don't write,"

Valen agreed with this sentiment, even if his parents sometimes couldn't show it very well. They only ever had his best intentions in mind and loved him for sure, though how they chose to show it always irked him. Instead of supporting his choice, they were quick with concern if it deviated from their plan. Hoof wringing and gently spoken concern over some of his basic characteristics were common, which did enough to deter him from acting out that he never had nearly enough fun under their watchful eye. They loved him so much they crushed his fun.

"What about here in Ponyville? Have you made a lot of friends? How are you and little Apple Bloom getting along?"

Valen gave this some thought, seeing as it was a small town yet he had seen little or done little in it thus far.

"Oh, I've been doing fine in town so far, I gather. It's really very strange, compared to Manehattan. There are plenty of characters in Manehattan but it seems as though this town is full of them. I wouldn't say I've made a lot of friends, truthfully- except maybe you- but I think I'm on good terms with most ponies. I haven't really gone out too much, you see- Applejack does a lot of work and therefore I do a lot of work. I'd like to get out more but even if I did, I don't think I'd make too many friends. I can be a bit weird, I think. As for Apple Bloom, she's a good little filly but is just too much energy for me to handle. Nice, though," The colt said as he started to attack his sandwich with all the ferocity of a griffin.

"Oh, I've been doing fine in town so far, I gather. It's really very strange, compared to Manehattan. There are plenty of characters in Manehattan but it seems as though this town is full of them. I wouldn't say I've made a lot of friends, truthfully- except maybe you- but I think I'm on good terms with most ponies. I haven't really gone out too much, you see- Applejack does a lot of work and therefore I do a lot of work. I'd like to get out more but even if I did, I don't think I'd make too many friends. I can be a bit weird, I think. As for Apple Bloom, she's a good little filly but is just too much energy for me to handle. Nice, though."

It was kind of sad to think Valen wasn't making many friends, especially his own age but Rarity supposed she could understand. He didn't really fit in with Apple Bloom's group exactly. At his age, Rarity would have been able to make friends with somepony so different from herself either, so she couldn't blame him for it. Still, it was a little sad if Rarity herself was the only one he could call a friend here.

"I don't know about that. With your amiable personality I'm positive you could make plenty of friends if you tried," Rarity said with a nod.

The unicorn gave a small laugh and then nodded once more. "But you're right in saying this is a town of characters." She gave a sigh. This was almost an understatement. "Do you have any interesting stories to tell since coming here?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"I don't know about that. With your amiable personality I'm positive you could make plenty of friends if you tried,"

Valen sheepishly looked away.

"Well, I'm sure I could, but...I hate having to say goodbye to ponies. I never had to before I left Manehattan and even though I knew I was coming back, I felt awful about it. It's one thing to meet a mare like you, since I in an...obtuse manner...knew you, and it's easier to contact a mare or stallion than a filly or colt so I'm less reticent to befriend one. It hurts more saying goodbye to somepony my age. Besides, even if I made a friend, I'd be afraid to let them know too much about me. You know how some ponies can be with anything non-standard, Miss Rarity," Valen completely inhaled his sandwich as his attention turned more towards that, letting out some insecurity as he did so.

"But you're right in saying this is a town of characters. Do you have any interesting stories to tell since coming here?"

Valen laughed.

"Oh my, you've lived here long enough to know all of them. I observe, mostly, or just try to. It's hard not to notice somepony like Pinkie or Rainbow Dash, and I dealt with Fluttershy during the winter wrap up 'fun'. And that's just the start! But really, as for stories...I can be a bit shy. Especially since I'm often so overworked at the farm, and by the time I make myself appropriate for public consumption it is time for dinner and after that, I usually just want to sleep! Really, the best story is when I first came to town. I ended up with a chipped tooth, slept in a crib, filled up with drugs on accident, nearly eaten by Winona, and that was before the really crazy stuff happened!" Valen said, laughing as he shook his head. The memory was still fresh and horrifying, but imbued with enough comedy. Besides, it had just been a few days before he had met Rarity, which made the whole thing a bit more enticing. Speaking of...

Valen bounced up and checked his saddlebag before withdrawing the dress Rarity had made him early on in his stay. After a few seconds, he had it on and turned to face the dressmaker.

"I know you made it but we've both been too busy, what do you think? It looks stunning, if I say so myself, though I might be biased because I'm in it, hehe," Valen said, not really nervous but a little bit on the expectant side.

"Well, I'm sure I could, but...I hate having to say goodbye to ponies. I never had to before I left Manehattan and even though I knew I was coming back, I felt awful about it. It's one thing to meet a mare like you, since I in an...obtuse manner...knew you, and it's easier to contact a mare or stallion than a filly or colt so I'm less reticent to befriend one. It hurts more saying goodbye to somepony my age. Besides, even if I made a friend, I'd be afraid to let them know too much about me. You know how some ponies can be with anything non-standard, Miss Rarity."

Rarity listened as Valen spoke his reply. Poor colt. So young and yet already worried about getting hurt, afraid to get too close to others. It was no wonder he was so mature for his age. Rarity felt sorry for him.

"Oh my, you've lived here long enough to know all of them. I observe, mostly, or just try to. It's hard not to notice somepony like Pinkie or Rainbow Dash, and I dealt with Fluttershy during the winter wrap up 'fun'. And that's just the start! But really, as for stories...I can be a bit shy. Especially since I'm often so overworked at the farm, and by the time I make myself appropriate for public consumption it is time for dinner and after that, I usually just want to sleep! Really, the best story is when I first came to town. I ended up with a chipped tooth, slept in a crib, filled up with drugs on accident, nearly eaten by Winona, and that was before the really crazy stuff happened!"

Rarity laughed. That seemed like quite a story there at the end. Poor Valen. Between this story and the Winter Wrap Up incidents Valen seemed to have a penchant for attracting trouble. Rarity hoped that didn't become a factor here today.

Valen proceeded to jump up and retrieve something from his bag. A few moments later, he was wearing the dress Rarity had made him. It still was a somewhat unusual thing for her. She wasn't sure if it was her place to encourage what was an atypical interest for a colt. Yet at the end of the day she decided that there was no reason to inhibit his spirit and it was her job to make her customer's happy in the first place. Besides, the elegant medium blue dress, a few shades darker than his mane, really did compliment him quite nicely.

"I know you made it but we've both been too busy, what do you think? It looks stunning, if I say so myself, though I might be biased because I'm in it, hehe."

"Well I'm not sure my opinion is any less biased, to be fair. It is my design after all," Rarity said with a laugh. "But yes, you look quite lovely in it I'd say, Valen dear. It suits you very well."

"Though I must say I'm surprised you've brought it along today. These dirty hills out here are hardly the best place for pretty clothes," Rarity said, smiling. "You wouldn't want to make a mess of something so wonderfully glamorous as that piece."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"Well I'm not sure my opinion is any less biased, to be fair. It is my design after all. But yes, you look quite lovely in it I'd say, Valen dear. It suits you very well."

Valen couldn't blame her for feeling pride in her work. Even if it was a situation wherein both of their biases lined up and produced a pleasant lie for both of them to eagerly subscribe to, her work spoke for herself. The dress alone was a work of pure art, finely crafted by a professional in the art of fabulosity. And to make it even more of a nod-inducing work, she had fit it to the frame of a colt. That was a challenge he was chagrined to consistently have to deal with it in such an unseemly manner. Luckily, her skills had been more than sufficient to sweep aside those concerns and he, with only a little embarrassment, would completely agree with her: he did look great in that dress and he felt every bit as wonderful as he looked. He beamed at her, that small monkey off of his back though as usual for a colt in such a position it would return with little provocation.

"Though I must say I'm surprised you've brought it along today. These dirty hills out here are hardly the best place for pretty clothes. You wouldn't want to make a mess of something so wonderfully glamorous as that piece."

The colt could do little more than nod along with her concerns, as they were well-placed and not lacking for depth. It was all true; such a wonderful piece of work was in some peril in this environment but in his occasionally desperate state he had to make some concessions and some risks were taken.

"Well, you are very right, Miss Rarity, it is certainly in some danger of getting ruined out here. But I have had so few chances to actually wear it- aside from my first time in the shop, this is only my second. Apple Bloom invades my privacy as if she were an over-starved Changeling and I'm more than a little...err, reticent-" the colt beamed at his excellent use of language, "to let the other members know. I do not foresee them having any better a reaction than my parents, and while I know others who have had much worse situations play out, it isn't as if they are...supportive, one might say. So this is perhaps one of the handful of times I'll ever get to wear it, at least for now," The colt added before casually strolling up to the mare and giving her a hug.

"It's so nice! It flows well, you think? And the color blends better than perfect, Miss Rarity. Why, if you told a fashion magazine about your success I think they'd out and out call you a liar!" He said, giggling as he sat down, tail moving the dress out of harms way.

"When did you start your business? It seems to be, err, whats...well-entrenched in town."

"Well, you are very right, Miss Rarity, it is certainly in some danger of getting ruined out here. But I have had so few chances to actually wear it- aside from my first time in the shop, this is only my second. Apple Bloom invades my privacy as if she were an over-starved Changeling and I'm more than a little...err, reticent- to let the other members know. I do not foresee them having any better a reaction than my parents, and while I know others who have had much worse situations play out, it isn't as if they are...supportive, one might say. So this is perhaps one of the handful of times I'll ever get to wear it, at least for now."

Rarity's expression evened as the colt gave his reasons. it was quite sad really, but in a lot of ways it was right. Rarity gave a short sigh. Poor Valen. Things would perhaps get easier for him when he was an adult, free to live as he pleased. Easier, but not easy; not with such a hobby. Though Rarity did disagree with his assessment of the Apple Family. Applejack was one of the least judgmental ponies you'd ever find and her family was so kind; she couldn't imagine them being anything less than accepting.

"It's so nice! It flows well, you think? And the color blends better than perfect, Miss Rarity. Why, if you told a fashion magazine about your success I think they'd out and out call you a liar!"

Rarity laughed, a smile appearing on her face. "Well, it depends on which magazine really. A number of them are already fully aware of the sort of miracles I can work!" she said with pride. "But yes, that is one to be proud of, and you certainly wear it well."

"When did you start your business? It seems to be, err, whats...well-entrenched in town."

Rarity nodded. Valen seemed intent to return to asking Rarity questions, she supposed. Fine. Smiling, she spoke. "Well, it's been quite a number of years now. I started working when I was still a filly. I sewed, I designed clothing for a select number of clients, mainly friends of my parents. The Boutique itself remained but a dream until just a year or two after I reached full marehood, at which point I had enough bits to comfortably take out a loan to have the building constructed. It was hard at first; a boutique like mine seemed ill suited to a humble town like Ponyville. Slowly but surely it took off though, and years later I find myself something of a rising star among the fashion elite!"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"Well, it depends on which magazine really. A number of them are already fully aware of the sort of miracles I can work! But yes, that is one to be proud of, and you certainly wear it well."

he swiftly went through the mental catalog of magazines, sifting through through the less reputable ones in an effort to discern the ones who knew what they were speaking about and then out of those attempted to go through their issues to find out which ones had then discussed her work. She wasn't unknown but at the same time she wasn't one of the colossi of the industry, and the articles and sections regarding her work weren't all together numerous. Still, she seemed confident of her decree and that was enough to stifle any nascent negative attitude in the matter, as he was sure amongst the many articles he could eventually find her miracle work would be known. And again, any confirmation that he looked good put his heart to flame and his pelt followed a similar flow, color given even if some part of him still felt of-kilter somewhere.

"Well, it's been quite a number of years now. I started working when I was still a filly. I sewed, I designed clothing for a select number of clients, mainly friends of my parents. The Boutique itself remained but a dream until just a year or two after I reached full marehood, at which point I had enough bits to comfortably take out a loan to have the building constructed. It was hard at first; a boutique like mine seemed ill suited to a humble town like Ponyville. Slowly but surely it took off though, and years later I find myself something of a rising star among the fashion elite!"

It was a good story he believed, one that was well-stocked with prudence. She took out a responsible loan, was talented, and worked hard. Once the qualities of perseverance, talent, and sense came together, there was little that could stop a successful operation no matter the desired descriptive scenario. Valen nodded as he took out the apples and with great care given to his dress gave one to the mare as well.

"Sounds like quite the success story, worthy of such a fine mare. And thanks for the compliment, even if I often feel that despite some rather intense effort I am not so worthy of it," He said without a hint of sadness nor remorse, taking a juicy bite out of his apple. He smiled fiercely and gave a chuckle.

"Miss Rarity, I think I'm starting to prefer apples to oranges!"

"Sounds like quite the success story, worthy of such a fine mare. And thanks for the compliment, even if I often feel that despite some rather intense effort I am not so worthy of it."

Rarity nodded and took the apple given to her and took a bite. She was proud of her success. Aside from her friends the thing she most delighted in was her work. Being recognized for it was truly a treat. Less nice was Valen's lack of confident in himself, though she supposed it was natural for a colt like him. Her spoke cheerfully at the least. That was good.

"Miss Rarity, I think I'm starting to prefer apples to oranges!"

The unicorn found herself not entirely sure how to read these words. A simple evaluation of fruits? No, it had to be a commentary on his family life. He was beginning to feel closer to the Apples than his parents. That was... difficult in a way. Even if he had found an increased sense of belonging on that farm, family was family. Rarity chose her response carefully.

"It's perhaps trite to say it, but I'm not sure the two are right for comparison," Rarity said, smiling softly. "As delightful as Ponyville's apples may be, sometimes you'll come across an orange that;s just marvelously sweet. I think it's more than fair to like them both."

Rarity laughed quietly and ate the rest of her apple. She gave a nod. "We should probably try and finish up soon so we can get back to work," she suggested.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"It's perhaps trite to say it, but I'm not sure the two are right for comparison. As delightful as Ponyville's apples may be, sometimes you'll come across an orange that;s just marvelously sweet. I think it's more than fair to like them both."

Rarity seemed awfully defensive of oranges. It wasn't as if he had anything against the fruit himself, and most certainly he laid no claim to the title of expert on all things produce. There were vastly more qualified and interested parties that could be called on in a true debate. But he didn't need to be one to form an opinion as far as he was concerned.

"Oranges are fine, but apples are sweeter I think. Plus, I don't have to peel away skin like I do with oranges. You know how tough that can be, Rarity! Always haveing to peel away to get to the actual juiciness. With an apple it's all there, right there for you to take part in. It's almost as if the orange is afraid of being eaten and the apple is eager to let you eat it. Plus, I think apples look better, and there isn't much mess to clean up afterwards. You're always having to pick up and leave no evidence with an orange!" Valen said as he continued to bite into his apple, oblivious to Rarity's great misunderstanding of his speech. He just found them juicier.

"We should probably try and finish up soon so we can get back to work,"

Valen was already two hooves ahead of her, having striped the apple to its core. He put the refuse in a sealed container in his saddlebag, not desiring for a moment to sully the blanket nor the ground with it. There were proper ways to deal with it. He then gingerly drew out of his dress, folding it pristinely and sealing it safely in the saddlebag before moving the picnic stuff back to their pre-arranged compartments. It had taken less than two minutes, though once out of the dress he moved faster both due to a touch more freedom and a desire to get the work done even faster.

"Oranges are fine, but apples are sweeter I think. Plus, I don't have to peel away skin like I do with oranges. You know how tough that can be, Rarity! Always haveing to peel away to get to the actual juiciness. With an apple it's all there, right there for you to take part in. It's almost as if the orange is afraid of being eaten and the apple is eager to let you eat it. Plus, I think apples look better, and there isn't much mess to clean up afterwards. You're always having to pick up and leave no evidence with an orange!"

Rarity's smile evened. Poor colt. His obvious metaphorical double-talk continued. He was beginning to resent his parents for their tough outer layer, something the more immediate and accessible Apple Family lacked. Next to the stern and guarded life of a Manehattan socialite, the familiar, welcoming nature of ponies like AJ and her family did provide a stark contrast. The cleaning part might be fairly literal. Valen seemed naturally a pretty cleanly kid, but perhaps nonetheless he felt overburdened by his parents, the restrictions they set upon him and what they expected him to be. The relative freedom to live as you pleased, not having to always mind your environment again was a valid point of contrast.

Rarity had to admit she was impressed with how far Valen was able to take the metaphor, even if it was generally pretty sad. Again she had to be careful, and clever with her response. She didn't want Valen to become so disgruntled with his previous home as to turn his back on it. She needed to encourage him to love both ways of life and remain content.

"Fair points all, darling," Rarity said, smiling again. "However, I often find that things are far more rewarding when you have to work for them. Things may seem less immediate with an orange than an apple, but when you do get through to that orange I'm sure you'll find the soft interior can be just as pleasing as an apple would be. And sure there may be more to keep clean when you're through, but I'm sure you'll find its worth it in the end."

Her piece said, Rarity finished her apple. For some reason, she kind of wished she had an orange to eat as well. She took the container from Valen where he had put his apple core and placed hers in it as well. Littering was out of the questioning, even out here. She then smiled, more or less ready to move on.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"Fair points all, darling. However, I often find that things are far more rewarding when you have to work for them. Things may seem less immediate with an orange than an apple, but when you do get through to that orange I'm sure you'll find the soft interior can be just as pleasing as an apple would be. And sure there may be more to keep clean when you're through, but I'm sure you'll find its worth it in the end."

Valen's mind was completely clogged with bounding confusion that shot through his mind. As well-educated as he was and as intelligent a colt he willfully claimed to be, he found himself at a loss. Why was she awfully worked up about fruit? He shot her a cock-eyed expression as he started pulling the wagon/

"Well, I agree but the oranges don't really taste better than apples even with all that work. Apples come in so many more varieties and you have so much you can do with it. I mean, Navel oranges are fine but they can get too citrusy and sometimes it stings when you try to peel in too deep and it jumps at you and gets in your eyes. I don't like to work hard at something and have it hurt me. Moro Oranges are too intense and can't be used for much outside of its intended use, and really without any flexibility they're useless. Valencias are good, nice and sweet, but did you know that if you put them in a hot enough area before peeling away the exterior and they can re-ripen? or at least look like they are? That's crazy!" Valen said before laughing and shaking his head.

"I was supposed to be named Valencia but when I came out a colt they named me Valen, instead. I never understood why, Valen isn't an orange. Valencia is. And it sounds prettier!" He said as he continued his trot up the hill, which was growing steeper. The ongoing conversation helped distract him from the verticality.