To the West Coast Ponies

DrMaxwell

So, being the paranoid panda that I am, I've been keeping some tabs on the whole fukushima reactor crisis. I've been seeing mixed reports, saying that there's radiation waves headed this way, that there isnt, that even if some gets here, it wont be enough to cause a problem, etc.

I've seen a decent number of articles pointing towards it being a major threat to the pacific area, but I'm also kind of skeptical. What does everypony else think?

I agree with Rosewind. The sheer distance involved makes it extremely improbable that a concentrated amount of radioactive particles could make it to the west coast. Chernobyl was a much more significant nuclear disaster and significant radiation from that didn't make it out of the region.

I have a couple of points on this...

1: It's a pretty long way away, and although some radiation from that area might get to you, it probably won't be any worse than the radiation you're exposed to every day... i can't think of any specific examples, but there are things that give off radiation that you'd be surprised to know about...

2: Eh... What DOESN'T kill you? I hope this doesn't sound insensitive towards people who believe they're in danger, but come on... Read the news, It seems liek every day there's a new story about about X causes Y in [insert demographic here]. Just a few months ago my grandmother swore she would never buy me apple juice again because of some study that said it had carcinogens in it. she's been freaking out for years about me drinking diet sodas cause apparently that will kill you too.

Chocolate is bad, sugar is bad, meat is bad, fruit it bad, vegetables are bad, EVERYTHING is bad for you in some way shape or form. Too much sun is bad, not enough sun is bad, Dehydration is bad, drinking too much water is bad. There is just sooo much that can kill you according to the media its crazy...

I say don't worry too much about what may or may not kill you... If you spend every day worrying you'll never have enough time to live your life. dont fret about the radiation, at least not for your own health.

On a side note though that i think should be noted, i feel horrible for what those in japan and what they have to deal with, and i wish with all my heart that i could do more to help them... They're the ones in true danger and i think we should all contribute in some way...

As Rosewind, Mecha, and Starfox stated, it isn't any more radiation that you're exposed to on a daily basis. I was on the first ship to respond to the disaster last year. Even then they were saying the same thing and we were right off the coast flying food and supplies to the land.