Rose Madder

Inkwell

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Rose Madder, aka Black Orchid

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Rose madder (#E32636)

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Dark red. Her mane comes down to just above her jaw on the sides of her head, with an uneven fringe above her eyes. It's cut down to just a few inches on her neck.

Eye Color: Neon green.

Cutie Mark: A black orchid atop a rolled-up scroll.

Physique: Average.

Residence: Canterlot.

Occupation: Currently a technical writer, but the success of her first novel might give her the chance to move to a full-time writing career.

Motivation: Rose's cutie mark represents her writing ability and the beautiful, yet foreboding aesthetic she puts into her work. She loves being able to stir up emotions of other ponies with the power of her imagination. Usually she ends up doing so by scaring them or creeping them out, but she's getting better at pulling heartstrings with other negative emotions, too. Now thanks to her writing, she can do it without even personally meeting the ponies in question! And if some ponies scoff at her, then who needs them? She knows she's talented.

Likes: Nightmares, bitter foods, tragedies, praise, hearing new stories, pestering other ponies (especially her brother!), the weird and unusual, wearing black.

Dislikes: Saccharine prose, bad writing, criticism, being pestered herself, wearing pink.

Character Summary: Rose Madder was born in Trottingham to Sheetrock and Meadowsweet. When she was very young, she had vivid nightmares, which made her wet the bed. She soon learned not to be scared of those nightmares, though, starting to enjoy their surreal gloominess in time.

Then her little brother Inkwell was born, and a love-hate relationship began. Rose loved to give little Inky a scare or two from time to time, and she often gave him a bit of a hard time because of his general timidity. However, if any bullies were to give him a hard time, too, she'd step up to his defense and teach him to stand up for himself.

As she grew out of foalhood, the ghost stories she told her brother morphed into actual short stories, and after she finished a particularly rewarding one, she got her cutie mark. The story got attention from other ponies, and one of her friends suggested she move to Canterlot to be around other artists. She leaped at the suggestion and moved there, working as a technical writer and spending almost all of her free time working on a novel, written under the pen name of Black Orchid. Now A Single Note has been published, and prospects for it look good.

Rose is generally a friendly pony, though she does have a tendency to be blunt and sarcastic at times.

It just popped into my head, really. Since the mother's an herbalist, I wanted something related to herbs, and this is what I came up with. I mentioned her name on Inkwell's profile, too, since she's his mother, too.

Edit: Her name is now Meadowsweet. It's a real herb that I just looked up, and sounds much more in tune with pony nomenclature, if I do say so myself.