Regarding RP Post Formatting

SilverMint

In reading through some of the various RP's on Canterlot, I've noticed many different kinds of formatting in terms of the writer's POV when writing and how dialogue and addressing other ponies in exposition.

From what I've seen, most posts are presented in Limited Third-Person Past Tense, but some go into Third-Person Present (which, while it does throw me off a little bit, isn't a problem for most readers.) Also, I've noticed that when some ponies speak: "It's done in a character color to set it apart from the exposition," and when addressing another pony in exposition, it's done in the color of said pony's coat-color to let the casual reader know that their character is being referenced.

I like many of these simple steps to make reading long stretches of posts easier, but I was simply wondering if there was a Canterlot-Standard in terms of how an RP post should be written and formatted?

We generally encourage third person Roleplay, although some people RP in first person while everyone around them RPs in third person. It's... kind of confusing that way, and I see third person as the more widely accepted way.

As for colors, you can do your own thing. I personally color all my RP text, unless perhaps I quote somepony else. Like you said, some just use colors for speech. Still others just use plain black text.

I believe this could provide some answers:

RP Etiquette

But to be honest, all those actions are usually done in order to ease the reading of posts.

As for Past/Present thingy... I guess it depends entirely on person writing the post. Writing in tense which is less comfortable with you would, most probably, make your post less comprehensible.

Although personally, I use only one color, to outline the fact my OC is actually speaking. After all in real world you sometimes don't know if somebody's talking to you in group, do you :) Misunderstandings happen. But I usually give hint in behavior of OC during his speech. Moreover, your reactions shall fit the whole post, not only the part in which your character was referenced. You generally still want to know what happened with others, so you'll read other colors anyway. I guess that's just a cosmetic surgery which shall ease replying to the thread to others.

Edit: :x MLPTales...

ninja7_xlarge.jpeg

• Like 1