[Hoofington] Set It Off [Open]

Apolline Allura

"Oh Celestia have mercy, I don't know about this now!"

Talented fireworks-maker and author, Blaze Bright, had traveled all the way from Canterlot to Hoofington to put on her first fireworks display. She was going to be debuting all of her wares, but they were mostly revamps of the formulas she had created when she was a kid. The most prized part of this presentation would be her new 'Equestrian Magic Missile'.

The night hour pf seven o' clock drew closer and closer as the sun began to fall, and the stage was being built in a clearing somewhere a little off from the market district as a nervous red filly paced around the large steel structure. The town had apparently been abuzz with conversation about this for longer than her sister let on, and as such, a bigger turnout came to see the show.

Blaze stood behind the stage, wringing her hooves in concern. Ashsmoke hadn't made it out of bed yet, and already, there was a huge turnout. She bit into her own cheek as she continued to pace. "Curses! Does she not know the time is nearing! The show will begin, and I will be left without an MC! Drat!"

While Blaze had a remarkable amount of courage in smaller settings, and found it ridiculously easy to talk to just about anypony and everypony, there was a difference between groups and crowds.

She was to entrance a crowd tonight, and she knew not what to do. A unicontractor brushed past her, "Come on yous guys, we gots twenty minutes to makes dis' ting here beautiful." he said in a gruff Manehattan accent to his fellow construction workers.

Wind Rider was walking up to the show, wearing the tan shirt of his forest ranger uniform, but no hat. He wouldn't need the hat, it being night and everything. He was here for two reasons...one, he was a sucker for good shows. Wonderbolts shows, fireworks, a good air race...all of it excited him. Two, he was there in uniform on a just in case basis...he figured it would be safe but it was always better to actually be safe. After all, if a fireworks display went wrong, things could go downhill, fast. He figured that it would be smart to be there, as he could spring into action fast if need be.

Until then though, Wind Rider would enjoy himself. He had a good view of the stage, sitting on a blanket and chatting idly with some of his neighbours from in the town. They talked about...whatever! The weather that day, latest developments in the town, or even the family of foxes Wind Rider had seen on his early morning patrol, walking in the fields near Fet Loch. After a moment, Wind stretched out his wings, watching the workers for the show walking about the stage, getting last minute preparations done on everything. He was excited now for the show...he hadn't seen a good fireworks display in AGES! Partly it came from being busy with patrols, and as such he was excited for this one. Even a mediocre show would have Wind Rider enjoying the evening.

Jupiter "Jynx "Nexus

Fwomp!

Jupiter "Jynx" Nexus hit the ground with the force of a small brick. The young foal had been running through the crowd to try and find the best seating for the fireworks that were going to go on tonight. He and his father had traveled all the way here from the Hoofington Observatory to see the fireworks (and, because the light pollution would make stargazing too difficult to do any real work.) Jynx looked over his shoulder to see what he had tripped over. It was a bag full of bits! Before he could say anything, though, an old stallion picked up the bag. "Why, thanks, sonny. I thought I'd lost that!" the stallion said gratefully. Jynx smiled and continued scurrying off to find the best place to view the fireworks. In the distance, he imagined he could hear his father calling his name in the distance, but he didn't care, the prospect of staying out late and watching brilliant bursts of light over the bay were enough to make him risk his father's displeasure.

Serenity eyed the stage warily from her spot a few hundred yards out from it. She'd been enjoying a small meal and a cup of tea when they started building it and they were nearly finished with it now. Intrigued, the peryton considered venturing down to see what was going on. As it got later and more ponies crowded around the stage, Serenity decided she might as well see what was up. With so many ponies around, they'd hardly notice a winged deer wondering around, and her antlers would be hidden anyway. Quickly raising a hoof to doublecheck that her puff of mane was hiding her antlers, she packed up her supplies once more and wondered toward the stage. Coming up from behind it, she was in the perfect spot to see a particularly worried-looking red unicorn pacing back and forth.

The doe tilted her head to one side and wandered up to Blaze Bright. "Hullo!" she said, easing out a little of her peryton magic to calm the mare. "You seem rather worried... What's wrong?"

• 2 weeks later...

It had certainly been a long little while since the winds had last brought Hurricane so far away from her usual haunts. She rarely went to Hoofington, but that was where she felt like going, so it was where she had gone. As always, she followed the winds, seeking out the biggest and the strongest clouds to make the best storms, and it seemed to her that there were an overabundance of the rain carrying beasts bloatedly floating around the sky today. She had gathered up quite the stormcloud before she even noticed the strange little stage that was being created within the town itself, and it took a few seconds for her to realise what it was for.

Fireworks... my my, wouldn't it be a pain if soome thoughtless pegasus were to let the clouds rain she mused, a mischievous grin forming on her face as she began to ready her cloud for it's onslaught. However, as she looked down at the metalwork, she saw a flash of red appear briefly, only to be obscured by the workings of her cloudwork. The colour was enough to trigger a memory, and a rather nice one at that. The mare she had encountered, who had so graciously bought her coffee and a honey bun, the one that she had shown her hidden refuge to, had mentionned something about fireworks. Kicking her cloud higher into the sky, the pegasus hurtled to the ground, blowing back a huge force of wind as she reached the stage, her huge wings spread wide as she landed with a bow of her head.

"Do tell me, what kind of amateur would leave the sky so full of clouds on a night like this," she said, with a telltale lilt to her voice hopefully letting those nearby know that she was only teasing, before glancing up at the red pony she had seen from far above. Her heart pounded a little against her chest, but she fought back her urges as she smirked, stretching her wings before folding them up around her.

"I did you a favour and cleared them all away. You wouldn't want the crowds to get wet now, would you," she continued, before finally letting her gaze fall elsewhere. She took in the slowly growing crowd of ponies with her eyes, and in particular the young looking pegasus who has approached Blaze. She nodded at the almost monochrome pegasus, before turning back to the unicorn.

"Miss me?" she asked with a smirk.

Still pacing as if the very world would end if she didn't do something, she jumped about a foot in the air when she looked up to see somepony else suddenly with her behind the stage. Landing on her belly rather painfully, she looked up to see that it wasn't somepony... It was... A pega-deer? Blaze's forte wasn't in many creatures beyond the borders of Canterlot. Her trips out of town hadn't been for anything more than other towns and such. As it was, she couldn't just lie on the floor like a despondent idiot.

"Thou has caught us at a rather dire time miss, if thou has come to inquire of when the show would start, we are currently losing our minds and therefore are unable to accomplish conversation beyond--oh sweet Celestia! I need an emcee!" Said the red pony, flailing her hooves against the ground.

At that point, the sounds of cheering exploded forth from the audience in front of the stage, causing Blaze's ears to perk upwards in alarm and confusion. As if that wasn't enough, the sky had suddenly cleared out, leaving a beautiful evening sky in it's wake before a familiar scent caught the red filly's attention. Zephyrs of wind swept the grass beneath her, shadows were cast over both her and the pega-deer as the mare had landed.

"Hurricane!" shouted Blaze in relief and happiness, as if her arrival had made her current dilemma become nothing. She was up in an instant, throwing her hooves over Hurricane's shoulders and nuzzling her deeply. Her body heat increased dramatically, powerful enough to the point that Blaze could see the heat waves in the air, echoing the depths of her emotions right then and there.

"We have missed thee immensely! And though we are currently a bit...ohdearCelestia, Hurricane, we need an emcee! Our dear sister is back in the hotel, sound asleep probably, and we can't do both at the same time, would thou be of aid to me in this time, love?" pleaded the filly.

Grinning from ear to ear, Hurricane dodged away from the panicing pony, her wings flapping away to provide a cool breeze for herself, and more importantly to cool down the blazing unicorn that had rather obviously began to heat up within her presence. She tilted her head upwards, tapping a hoof onto her chin as though she were deep in thought.

"Hmmm... I dunno... I mean I am rather tired from the flight over here... and very hungry too," she said, patting her stomach with her hoof as she glanced across at the gathering crowds.

Just what the heck is an Emcee anyway... And why would she want me to be one? Unless it's something to do with the weather... but I've never heard that term before she thought to herself as she waited for Blaze's response. She was going to accept, as long as it wasn't anything related to the crowd of ponies that was slowly beginning to gather on the stage. She didn't mind them looking at the spectacle of her arriving, but she didn't have to actually communicate with them, which suited her down to the ground.