Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand the need to hide being a Brony. It's really not a big deal unless you make a big deal out of it. If your parents seriously have a problem with what cartoons you like, then you probably have bigger problems.

Honestly, I think people put far too much emphasis on the whole being a Brony thing. I don't mean that being active in the community or dedicated to the fandom is a bad thing, but when you force the idea that you're part of a group upon people who aren't familiar with it, you're bound to make them uncomfortable. It's not about whether or not you like ponies, it's that you're part of a group that they don't understand. 'Part of a group' and 'part of a cult' is a thin line that people (like parents) may not always be able to understand from an outside perspective.

If you simply say to them, "I like this cartoon," they will probably not care, or maybe just make fun of you for liking something they see as childish. When you say, "I'm a Brony," they more than likely hear something entirely different than you intend, because they are not part of the community and they have no idea that you're not part of something totally crazy.

(Clarification: I do not mean to imply anything negative about Bronies, nor am I trying to say we're a cult. I'm simply saying that it is easy for others to draw that conclusion if they are not familiar with the fandom. 'You' is not intended to refer to any specific person.)

As for me, I've never seen a reason to hide that I like ponies, or that I spend a lot of time drawing and talking about them. When it comes to my parents specifically, my father passed away a few years ago, but I'm sure he'd probably watch it with me if he were still around.

My parents probably wouldn't care... They'd say something like; "Uhm, okay?" They'll let me watch anything as long as it's innocent, if you know what I mean. They don't really care that I watch Disney movies and MLP. Maybe they say to each other that I'm a bit weird, but they'd accept my weirdness.

My parents probably wouldn't care... They'd say something like; "Uhm, okay?" They'll let me watch anything as long as it's innocent, if you know what I mean. They don't really care that I watch Disney movies and MLP. Maybe they say to each other that I'm a bit weird, but they'd accept my weirdness.

My parents are the same. My brother is sorta the same although sometimes he likes to joke with me about it like My Little Pony sucks or give me your brony shirt but we still love each other.

Well, I can finally say yes to this question and I can happily report the world didn't blow up like I thought it would, lol. And now that that's taken care of and my family's perfectly okay with it (not without teasing, but that's nothing new), I no longer have anyone on this planet to hide my Bronyness from. :D

Well, I can finally say yes to this question and I can happily report the world didn't blow up like I thought it would, lol. And now that that's taken care of and my family's perfectly okay with it (not without teasing, but that's nothing new), I no longer have anyone on this planet to hide my Bronyness from. :D

That makes me want to quote Fluttershy "yay." :):D

And now my sister just found FiM (Return of Harmony, Part 1) while channel surfing so she and my brother are watching right now, lol. I think she likes it. xD

Well, she ended up falling asleep about halfway through the second part, lol. So I guess it turned out rather boring for her. It probably would've helped if she actually knew the characters (the Elements, deharmonization, etc. were all lost on her, obviously). But it's still cool she decided to watch it just from stumbling on it while channel surfing instead of just moving on to the next channel. I'm kinda disappointed she didn't even laugh at Pinkie Pie or "Watch out, here comes Tom!" but oh well, she tried. Who knows? Maybe it got her interested enough to try again and watch more later (it took me a couple days to warm up to the show myself - but I at least started with the first episode so I wasn't left wandering "What the heck's going on?" the whole time `^^).

Well, she ended up falling asleep about halfway through the second part, lol. So I guess it turned out rather boring for her. It probably would've helped if she actually knew the characters (the Elements, deharmonization, etc. were all lost on her, obviously). But it's still cool she decided to watch it just from stumbling on it while channel surfing instead of just moving on to the next channel. I'm kinda disappointed she didn't even laugh at Pinkie Pie or "Watch out, here comes Tom!" but oh well, she tried. Who knows? Maybe it got her interested enough to try again and watch more later (it took me a couple days to warm up to the show myself - but I at least started with the first episode so I wasn't left wandering "What the heck's going on?" the whole time `^^).

Ok

Well everyone I know knows, a number of them are fans as well (and my mother is facinated by the social psychology implications). It's actually fairly typical for me to like this sort of thing, though being female means that I don't really have to worry about stigma but even if I were male I doubt anyone in my family would mind....well perhaps my paternal grandfather would, but frankly I hardly ever see him and don't really care if he approves of my hobbies or not

My dad would accept, but his roommate is the kind of person that tries to decide everything that goes on in my life.

And she whines, a lot. So my dad would break down and ban it. So I just keep MLP in tabs that are ready to be clicked off in a second.

Try countering her with this:

But really if she's not even your father's girlfriend or spouse why does she think that she should be in a psuedo-parent role?

Well everyone I know knows, a number of them are fans as well (and my mother is facinated by the social psychology implications). It's actually fairly typical for me to like this sort of thing, though being female means that I don't really have to worry about stigma but even if I were male I doubt anyone in my family would mind....well perhaps my paternal grandfather would, but frankly I hardly ever see him and don't really care if he approves of my hobbies or not

Try countering her with this:

But really if she's not even your father's girlfriend or spouse why does she think that she should be in a psuedo-parent role?

LOL :lol:

I wanted desperately to go to BronyCon, but coordinating four twenty-minute car rides (Livin' twenty minutes from the BronyCon, BAY LIFE!) from parents requires explanations. My mom kinda blew it off, not caring much. Once she took a minute and said to herself "My seventeen year old son who wrestles varsity is going to a My Little Pony convention with another boy around his age" she started asking questions. She was just dumbfounded and didn't criticize at all.

My dad was okay with me being a Brony, but still doesn't get it. He actually found a way into BronyCon for the closing ceremonies (made it for the final "Smile Smile Smile" singing) and was completely blown away with the sheer scale of Bronydom. Best part about telling my parents?

As I walked out of BronyCon to return home on Sunday night, I decided to show my dad that "Crush. Kill. Destroy. SWAG." isn't just a "grab for attention" as he called it. I cried out "HEY EVERYPONY! CRUSH, KILL, DESTROY, SWAG!" and let out another CKDS cheer. The crowd did the work for me and my dad was speechless.

All in all, you'll never find out how your parents react until you just come clean. Be proud, be noble, and brony on.

I wanted desperately to go to BronyCon, but coordinating four twenty-minute car rides (Livin' twenty minutes from the BronyCon, BAY LIFE!) from parents requires explanations. My mom kinda blew it off, not caring much. Once she took a minute and said to herself "My seventeen year old son who wrestles varsity is going to a My Little Pony convention with another boy around his age" she started asking questions. She was just dumbfounded and didn't criticize at all.

My dad was okay with me being a Brony, but still doesn't get it. He actually found a way into BronyCon for the closing ceremonies (made it for the final "Smile Smile Smile" singing) and was completely blown away with the sheer scale of Bronydom. Best part about telling my parents?

As I walked out of BronyCon to return home on Sunday night, I decided to show my dad that "Crush. Kill. Destroy. SWAG." isn't just a "grab for attention" as he called it. I cried out "HEY EVERYPONY! CRUSH, KILL, DESTROY, SWAG!" and let out another CKDS cheer. The crowd did the work for me and my dad was speechless.

All in all, you'll never find out how your parents react until you just come clean. Be proud, be noble, and brony on.

Ok

As of now, my mom doesn't really mind, but it's my dad that's the problem.

Once he saw me on this board, he started declaring that I am "infatuated" with the show and that I am "perverted", as are all the other males that watch the show. I tried to be logical and reasonable with him, but he wouldn't listen. He went on wikipedia and found out that the fandom includes bronies, and promptly started calling me "Mr. Brony" after that. So now he wishes to punish me for this.

By getting me merchandise for my birthday/Christmas.

Now this may not be bad in and of itself, but those events are the only chance that I have to get free stuff from my parents. I would rather get video games/ tech stuff (sorry, I'm a tech guy first, brony second :/ ). I would rather get merchandise when I actually have money to spend on my own. I'm hoping that he'll forget this by the time my birthday rolls around, but I don't know what he'll do.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

As of now, my mom doesn't really mind, but it's my dad that's the problem.

Once he saw me on this board, he started declaring that I am "infatuated" with the show and that I am "perverted", as are all the other males that watch the show. I tried to be logical and reasonable with him, but he wouldn't listen. He went on wikipedia and found out that the fandom includes bronies, and promptly started calling me "Mr. Brony" after that. So now he wishes to punish me for this.

By getting me merchandise for my birthday/Christmas.

Now this may not be bad in and of itself, but those events are the only chance that I have to get free stuff from my parents. I would rather get video games/ tech stuff (sorry, I'm a tech guy first, brony second :/ ). I would rather get merchandise when I actually have money to spend on my own. I'm hoping that he'll forget this by the time my birthday rolls around, but I don't know what he'll do.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I don't know what to do or think about that sorry?

My parents know. They weren't really that surprised. I'm not exactly secretive about my love of animation. I don't think they really get it, but I've gotten both of them to watch episodes with me. They don't really care that much. Not sure what the rest of my family would think though.

Ok

Archived