Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, great.

My mom checked my youtube history.

I am dreading the after school conversation.

Would probably be easier if she actually watched any of the videos. Because honestly, a lot of the mlp fan videos can hardly be considered girly. That goes for the clips as well... Alright except one that I can think of (sunshine sunshine lady bugs awake)... Yeah... No... No feasible way to say that is manly at all. But really... The remixes? The fan animation? All of them are amazing in their own right regardless of gender. Just like the series.

hmm...have you considered playing it off as psychological research into the media of the community?...badpokerface

in all seriousness though there must be some way to play it off casually, maybe oh well in social studies we have to investigate an online community we arent a part of and this is the one you was assigned... :P

Would probably be easier if she actually watched any of the videos. Because honestly, a lot of the mlp fan videos can hardly be considered girly. That goes for the clips as well... Alright except one that I can think of (sunshine sunshine lady bugs awake)... Yeah... No... No feasible way to say that is manly at all. But really... The remixes? The fan animation? All of them are amazing in their own right regardless of gender. Just like the series.

I know, I love much of the fanwork, but the thing she saw was the season 2 finale, she watched a little of it after I asked her to.

Here is how the text went:

Mom: Tyler, why is My Little Pony in your Youtube history?

Me: ..? (trying to act like I had no idea what she was talking about)

Mom: It is episode 25 and 26, it is also in your favorites.

Me: Can we talk about this later?

Mom: Are you trying to tell me something Tyler?

Me: Just watch it and tell me what you think.

Mom (A little while later): Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake? Twilight Sparkle? Shining Armor? Tyler, are you gay?

I have yet to respond.

I know, I love much of the fanwork, but the thing she saw was the season 2 finale, she watched a little of it after I asked her to.

Here is how the text went:

Mom: Tyler, why is My Little Pony in your Youtube history?

Me: ..? (trying to act like I had no idea what she was talking about)

Mom: It is episode 25 and 26, it is also in your favorites.

Me: Can we talk about this later?

Mom: Are you trying to tell me something Tyler?

Me: Just watch it and tell me what you think.

Mom (A little while later): Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake? Twilight Sparkle? Shining Armor? Tyler, are you gay?

I have yet to respond.

Just show her the fight scene and the near apocalyptic aftermath. Should be fine. ;)

You might also want to tell her that Twilight Sparkle was a direct joke making fun of Twilight. Which is honestly less manly than ponies at this point.

Tell her you're not gay, and watching a cartoon does not decide your sex preference. Her grandchildren are safe!

This too. I still want to know where this preconceived notion came from that media can determine sexual preference...

I believe I already mentioned this, my parents are extremely stubborn (My dad more than my mom, but my mom is still pretty hard to win an argument against), so I doubt nothing less than giving her a grandchild will sway her.

I will still argue with her, but I doubt I'll win.

This too. I still want to know where this preconceived notion came from that media can determine sexual preference...

It's just a stereotype on an oxygen tank that guys who enjoy "girly" things are homosexuals based on how a few gay males might choose to act. It's tiresome and ignorant. We both already knew that, though!

I believe I already mentioned this, my parents are extremely stubborn (My dad more than my mom, but my mom is still pretty hard to win an argument against), so I doubt nothing less than giving her a grandchild will sway her.

Nothing will change if you don't stand up for yourself, what you enjoy, and what you believe. I know it's hard, especially with parents, but you owe it to yourself to be treated with respect and dignity, especially for not giving in to the expectations from others that you should not celebrate, watch, or enjoy something because of what they think.

Hey now... Not having kids is not indicative of being gay either! One of my greatest heroes chose not to have kids. Perhaps you've heard of him... Mr. Nikola Tesla. You know... One of the greatest minds and inventors of the 20th century.

Also, there is no winning or losing... Who cares if they think you are gay? Stand your ground and be the better person (read: more mature). Remember there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and so long as you know your own sexual preference and are comfortable with it (I'm assuming you are straight), who cares what others think?

This is the BEST POSSIBLE THING!

My sister stood up for me in my argument with our mom, told her she was a Brony as well, and together we showed my mom how cool FiM is!

This is a great day.

See? It all worked out :) and I'm glad it did too ;)

My whole family (not relatives) knows. My Mom was fine with it, really. My Dad said he had to go call the doctor. :P

My Dad wasn't serious. He's a joker. ;)

I started watching it, and was a bit shy about it other than talking about it with my friend Dan (who turned me into a brony). Eventually I showed my brother the show, and he really liked it as well, though he didn't really get into the brony culture like I did. Then I told my Mom and Dad, showed them the show, and watched the whole of season 1 with my Mom. Have yet to start watching season 2 with her, and I've watched 10 episodes with my dad, but everything went way better than I expected. I also started wearing Brony shirts to school, even to my wrestling practices, and also listening to Brony music in the library. I've pretty much become the "School Brony" and a couple of my friends are bronies as well..... I feel like if you're open to others then more people will accept you for it. I'm probably on the opposite end of the spectrum from some people, seeing as I've had little to no problems from this, but if you be yourself and are honest with people then you'll find friends everywhere you go.

Brony fandom attracts the most awesome people X3

Fixed. 20% more awesome to be precise.

Also, I'm totally not artistic, I'm a scientist and a huge dork/nerd. I pretty much attribute my fondness of the series in large part to me being so much like Twilight Sparkle in so many ways. Naturally there are other reasons, but I feel that is what hooked me into the first episode from the start, even before meeting nightmare moon.

Archived