[Canterlot] Recuperation in...Paradise? [Closed] [Ended]

Skye

He paused at the door, and smiled at Luna, turning his face to share it with Celestia as well. With a careful bow, he said "As you desire, Princess." then turned with a flick of his tail, casting Luna a wink over his shoulder as he limped out the door and around the corner. His wings spread as he took in the remainder of the sunlight, brightening up as he did. In moments, he had vanished into some of the nearby brush, only his footfalls fading on the paths of the gardens giving tell where he was headed. It'd be no trouble to catch up to him, not at his pace or his direction...when they were ready.

Blinking at Luna's request of the peryton, Celestia only caught on at the last moment and she nodded softly as the sky slowly readied itself for the night. The sky turning a vibrant shade of hot pink and gold as the sun just began to crest the horizon in the distance and the sun itself turned as red as a rose. Above them, the sky began to turn indigo like ink being spilled into water and the Sun Princess turned to her sister, eyes wavering as she looked over her sibling, her beloved sister and she felt the knot tighten in her chest.

She'd have never run away if she had just dropped the subject of the moon ceremony, she'd have stayed here and none of this would've ever happened. Tossing her head slightly to brush some of her opalescent mane from her face, she looked over the blue filly and all those memories of her past that seemed so important. All those favours she wanted to give to her sister to make her feel better.

They suddenly seemed so far away.

"Luna....before you say anything...I just want to appologise." Lowering her head slightly, she felt the guilt swell up in her chest.

"I never meant to bring back bad memories...I just wanted you to know that you're still my sister...and I still love you despite what trasngressions happened in the past."

Letting out a soft sigh she glanced to the sunset, still speaking however.

"I never should have tried to do something beyond my power...but...I had no choice...for a thousand years I've wondered if I should've just let the night reign so I could atleast keep a part of my sister there...but I couldn't let others suffer for whatever selfishness I had...a thousand years have passed and I've seen members of our family die...my friends passed on...and I remain..." Taking a deep breath she supressed a tear for as long as she could, but one managed to trickle out over her cheek as she looked to Luna.

"Oh Luna, I can never repay you for what I've done...I can merely ask...no...beg your forgiveness...oh my dear, sweet sister...can you forgive a foolish old mare for her stupidity and weak will...?"

Luna looked down and scuffed a hoof awkwardly on the ground as Skye walked away. She was trying to think of what to say...an apology, yes, but that didn't seem like enoughâ€â€Âand then Celestia spoke before she had the chance.

'Celestia...I want toâ€â€ÂI sincerely do. But I just can't. Not yet. Perhaps it's still a bit of Nightmare Moon in me...but nothing that either of us can say can make that thousand years go away. Whatever happens now...we'll have to work through it together.' Luna paused, still thinking on what Celestia had said, staring out into the garden as the sun set. 'And as for those bad memories, well...it seems that all the memories I hold now bring me nothing but pain and sorrow. I do not remember happy things, as if it were in my nature to forget joy.'

She suddenly turned to Celestia, rubbing her head against one leg, feeling at long last the warmth of her sister. She had forgotten what it felt like to be with others in all her time of banishment. She rubbed a cheek against Celestia, much like a foal might to her mother. She smiled, an actual true genuine smile. For the first time, she felt her first really true moment of happiness since her return, and for a moment, everything in the world faded away. But it was fleeting, for Luna remembered why she had wanted to speak with Celestia in the first place.

She pulled away, putting on a serious face. 'I...wanted to apologize as well. The way I acted the other day...It wasn't right, and youâ€â€Âyou didn't deserve that. I don't know what came over me. I justâ€â€ÂI haven't felt like myself, since I came back. I don't know who I am anymore, I say things and do things that I know aren't rightâ€â€ÂI just feel so lost, Celestia. I know I am home, and yet there is still so much that I do not recognize. I do not know if I will ever be able to find my place as ruler again.'

Watching her sister, she felt a slight pain in her chest, but it was a sympathising pain, she hadn't forgiven herself either and she was expecting her sister to do so in no time at all? There was that selfishness again, Celestia, well done, just well done...but she didn't let the pain show, instead she nodded softly towards her sister and watched her quietly as she listened to the night sky filly.

She wanted to listen to everything, every syllable, every word, everything she'd missed for the past thousand years without her baby sister there and it had the warmth grow within her chest, especially when the nuzzle came. Celestia wasn't sure how to respond at first, just staring in awe and smiling.

She was real. This wasn't a dream. And there was nothing to fear about her suddenly disapearing.

Lowering her long, slender head she gently nuzzled her cheek against the top of her sister's head, feeling that soft mane and letting out a soft, relieved sigh as the real realisation sunk in. Her baby sister was really there.

Pulling her head back only to look to her sister as she spoke, there was a small, weak smile that fluttered over those pale features at the appology and the reluctance her younger sibling had over her destiny...granted, she had her reluctance aswell when she was alone. How could she rule a world by herself?...But...she proved herself wrong in the end.

A small, reassuring smile lit her face as she tenderly nosed Luna's cheek and watched her quietly for a moment or two.

"Whatever you do and whatever you choose, I will love you no matter what and stick by you...you will never have to be alone again, sister."

Raising her head fully she glanced at the sky and nodded softly to herself.

"It's time to raise the moon...come we'll see if Skye is enjoying the garden."

Luna nodded, but she continued to think on the words Celestia had spoken. "...whatever you choose..." she had said, but Luna didn't see how there was any other choice. Despite not being able to carry out her duties now, in time her abilities would once again grow, just as they had when she was growing up. This was something she had to do, regardless of what she felt or wanted. Celestia had bore a great burden, true, but she didn't seem much the worse for wear because of it. Luna had had to miss out on so much, and she had suffered, perhaps not physically, although she had been reverted back to the age of a filly, but more of mentally and psychologically. Being alone for so long, with no one, nothing, had not only made Luna more awkward and shy then before, but had also made her doubtful and confused.

But, she pushed aside those thoughts for the moment, trying to find at least a little happiness in her life. After all, she was back, and though she was struggling to find her place once again, being back was something that should have made her happy.

"Skye?" she called out, glancing this way and that as she walked into the garden. "Skye, where are you?"

Skye was meandering through the garden, humming quietly to himself as he occasionally dipped his nose to inhale the fragrance of flowers along the path. Though it was impolite to nibble on the flowers of a private garden when you were a guest, he was nevertheless tempted by all the delicious and mouthwatering greenery that surrounded him, and he barely managed to behave himself. His leg was still sore, so he limped along at a sedate pace as he tried his best to drink in the sights and smells that surrounded him on all sides. The flowers, snapdragons that really snapped...tigerlilies that purred, hummingbirds that really did hum and buzzards that buzzed...they were all there, just as he'd expected them to be. There were other wonders as well, such as guilded Marigolds, stately Basil herbs, Roses that seemed ready to kiss passersby...oh, if only he could stay here for ages, this place was a wonder, and he might never get to see it again.

As he passed the fountain, he paused, dipping his head to look at his reflection. He hadn't noticed before, but he did have a minor case of bed head, such as it was, with much of his fur sticking up on one side. Thankfully it was short enough that it wasn't as noticeable to anypony but himself, but he grinned sheepishly at his own reflection. As the sunlight began to fade into night, he sighed sadly, and furled his wings to his side. He really did feel much better, though, even though the air was thinner up here, it seemed to get into his lungs easier with its incredible delivery of the world around him. Funny, how it'd taken the events of the past two days for him to really appreciate being alive. Now, more than ever, he wanted to see if some flowers could be planted along the great road in the Wood...they alone would make the trip something to talk about, for sure!

His ear flicked as Luna began to call for him, and his humming stopped, as he lifted his head. "Mmm? Oh, I'm over here, Princess. By the fountain." he replied, before he closed his eyes again and resumed humming his little song, swaying a bit here and there in the breeze.

Smiling at the final response from the peryton, she playfully nudged her sister forward as she made her way to the portion of the garden that overlooked the kingdom, not too far away from the pair as she looked over what she sought and finally found.

The podium of the moon and sun.

Two large podiums stood in a large, flat stone circle. At the current, neither was near the edge of the garden. But as the older mare's horn began to glow, the circle slowly turned with a gravelly groan as stone rubbed against stone and the light gray collum with the large cresent sat above it stared out to the mountainous land before it.

It was time.

As the mare approached the collumn, her horn continued to glow, but there was a soft glitter to it as she stood with her back to it and unfurled her wings. Eyes set and focused on the sky above as behind her, to the wayward horizon, the moon slowly began to crest the sky. Fat and round and sparkling its shimmering, silver light over the valley as the princess rose with it.

The heavy beating of her wings raising her up into the air with the moon, like two dancers entwined within a delicate waltz as finally the huge, celestial body and the princess aligned themselves with the crescent of the podium and a bright flash of light rippled delicately from the gardens.

After a moment it settled and Celestia landed, turning to look up at the moon as the stars slowly bled in to the sky like tiny pin pricks of light and a smile began to work over her muzzle. A lovely night...but nothing like the one her sister could produce in her time. The first night when she slept...the darkness she saw...it frightened her so much. And out of nowhere it seemed...her sister bore the moon high in the sky...and she slept so much more soundly.

She adored the moon and her sister for both their radiance...and that she could look upon the night and admire it without the brightness blinding her.

Tucking her wings to her side, she saw the night of the garden come to life in the glow of the silvery night.

Where the kissing roses and trumpeting daffodils slipped into their slumber, more flowers began to bloom and blossom in their wake. In the light of the moon, beautiful blue, purple and white flora began to blossom and glow, shimmering in their mistresses soft aura.

Dappled hyacinth, starlit lilies, diamond glittering bluebells and so much of it...she'd made sure to plant it all in honor of her sister the day she had gone...

Something to remind her of her foolishness...of her selfish acts...now...they only made her smile as she made her way into the garden to seek out the pair.

Luna moved next to Skye, and watched as the moon made it's way up into the darkness. The stars were just peeking out from the blackness, like they were waking up, getting brighter until they reached their full potential. Luna hadn't had a chance to see the moon rise since her return. It seemed as if she just hadn't been able to bring herself to. Here she was, named after the moon, and yet it pained her to look upon it. It held so many awful memories of lonely nights and days, and yet, it was still so beautiful. It was a sorrowful happiness, as one looking upon a gravestone and remembering happy things, but being unable to be truly happy because now there was someone missing. Only it was backwards, the moon brought sadness when it should have brought joy. After all, it was her destiny to raise and lower it, and be the ruler of it.

As the moon moved higher into the brightening blue dark, Luna nudged Skye. "Come on!" she giggled, running off toward another part of the garden. She stopped and turned, waiting for him to catch up.

Skye's eyes widened as Celestia performed her ceremony, never having been given the privilege of watching before. He'd seen the Summer Sun Celebration before when it was in Ponyville years ago, managing a sneak peek from the outskirts, but he'd never had the opportunity to see the moon being brought up before. Though now without her face on it, Skye's heart seemed lighter knowing that the Princess was no longer trapped upon it, but there in Equestria. And now, here he was with both Princesses, alone with them, an honor he was sure few ponies had enjoyed in quite some time, and one he certainly hadn't in a millenia. The deer's tail flicked up as he watched the moon rise, stretching his neck out. He'd seen this sight thousands of times before and it never failed to amaze him with its beauty every time. His eyes widened, shining with the moonlight reflected.

Suddenly, he was brought out of his reverie by a gentle nudge to his side, and his ears flicked up before he glanced first one way, then the other as Luna giggled, taking a moment to give a mock-rear (mindful of his leg, of course) before hobbling after her as quickly as he could. He enjoyed seeing her in higher spirits, it made his heart flutter like a caged bird, sending a thrill and a terror through him simultaneously. Someday, she would have to square with what had happened to her, someday she'd fully reconcile with her sister, but there was time enough for that. And right now, he had a young filly to chase! She paused, waiting for him, and he turned to flash a smile at Celestia, before resuming his course alongside Luna.

Luna ran to a far edge of the garden, but moving slower than she normally would so that Skye could keep up. An owl hooted somewhere not far off, something that Luna was used to hearing by now. Fireflies danced in the air, lighting up the garden in places as the stars lit up the sky. Crickets chirped among the grass, and leaped up out of it so as not to be trampled when Luna and Skye ran by. The night air was always so cool and crisp, and Luna took in a large breath of it, sighing loudly. This was once again her element, so full of quiet, and yet so full of life, if one only took the time to listen.

She led Skye to a willow tree, with thick boughs hanging all around it. She pulled back some of them with a hoof, as one would open a curtain, inviting Skye inside.

"Watch your step." she said, and the curtain leafy curtain closed around them.

Luna gingerly walked over the ground until she reached the trunk, and then she sat down. All around them the ground was glowing, sparkling silver, almost as if it was a carpet made of moonbeams.

"Lunar flowers." she breathed, the sweet scent filling in around them.

He followed along as quickly as he was able, though the more he walked on it, the better his leg seemed to feel. The food had done wonders for the rest of him, and he was feeling quite energized after a short stint in the remainder of the moonlight that he was almost his old self again. His ears swivelled this way and that to catch the nighttime orchestra of the crickets as they sang their little tunes. Fireflies! He so loved fireflies, they always dotted the night, and reminded him of his home with their luminscent sparkles, much like little living stars that had come to pay a visit to the forest. The cool air teased his nostrils as he stepped down the path until he came up to the willow tree she was holding open for him. He ducked his head to avoid catching his antlers on the branches as they draped like a green waterfall, barely missing his flickering tail as they drew closed behind them.

At her word, he looked down, carefully stepping around and over the little flowers that pocked the base of the tree, his light hoofsteps whispering in the lawn as he neared the trunk. When she sat, he followed suit nearby, scant inches to look out over the small pond of twinking blooms that dotted the ground around them. "Lunar flowers..." he whispered, dipping his head to nose at one gently, then inhaling its heady scent. "I've never heard of or seen these before...they're beautiful, Luna...I would have never dreamed that Canterlot held such beauty within its walls until you brought me here..."

"I've yet to find them anywhere else." Luna's voice was just above a whisper, as if any louder noise would cause the flowers to close up and go dark. "They need the pure mountain air, and very little sunlight. That's why this Willow is so important. It shades them during the day. They're called Lunar Flowers for a reasons, for they thrive on the moonlight rather than the sunlight."

She smiled quaintly, lightly brushing at one with a hoof.

There was a sudden screech off to her right, and she turned hear head, nearly getting hit in the face by a bat as it flew by. She gasped in surprise, but the bat was unphased, making a few laps around the tree to stretch it's wings. Luna stood and held out a hoof, and the bat landed gently on itâ€â€Âupside down, of course. She sat back down, slowly, so as not to disturb it. Then she took her other front hoof and petted it, rubbing the length of the furry part of its body. It gave little screeches and calls of happiness, and Luna smiled again.

Following in the depths of the fragrant garden, she allowed the glow of her horn to slowly diminish as her work was finished and watched as the night came alive with its own orchestra. The crickets with their 'violins' and the floating lights of the fireflies that sometimes rested on her long, flowing mane or horn thinking it was a place to rest. Not that she disheveled them from their rest.

Hearing a few spoken words, she turned the corner into the spot where the two had chosen to rest and smiled in soft greeting as she watched the pair. A little look of suprise that passed over her face as the bat came to view but she made sure to tread very gently as she looked couple.

"So how are you both doing?" She asked in a faint whisper, as to not disturb the little guest whilst she glanced to both Skye and Luna.

Resting herself on her legs as her wings let out the faintest of soft pops while laying them on her sides, she was getting far too old.

He listened to her speak as he nosed softly at one flower, then at another, drinking in the delightful aroma that teased his senses. Though he didn't say a word, he closed his eyes and lay his head on the ground in a small patch. His wings spread lightly beside him, drooping to the ground as he took in just the sensation and the silence around them. He felt as if he could stay here for eternity, ensconced in this little slice of nocturnal heaven, as beautiful as the day was in its time. There were so many beautiful things in Equestria, so many things that he'd never seen but only heard of, others he'd only dreamed of, and here were some he'd had the pleasure of seeing for himself. These were memories he would cherish for as long as he lived.

"There are so many forms of beauty in this world, I'm so happy to be a part of, and yet, there are so many more things I'll never see. This truly is a marvelous land we live in, and I'm proud to be my little part of it. As little or as large it may be, for every pony that I encounter, like a stepping stone across an infinitely wide river...some you stay with for short times, others for much longer, some you come back to and others you never see again...but all part of the journey. I would have dearly missed never having been allowed to see this, Princess."

At the sudden screech of the bat, he jerked his head up from the ground and looked around in alarm. As the bat fluttered in, he ducked, watching it carefully as it winged about before it finally chose to settle itself on the underside of Luna's hoof where he peered at it curiously. "I've never seen a bat this close before, normally they're in and out so fast, catching insects and eating fruit, more elusive and independent than birds. That one is rather cute."

His head turned as Celestia peeked into the little space in the tree, tilting his head as the audible pops reached his ears. He cast her a smile, and closed his eyes to lay his head back on the ground again amidst the Lunar Flowers. "I feel as if I could drift away right here, and never leave this place ever again, there's so much beauty and life in it, Celestia."

The bat hissed at Celestia, started by the sudden appearance of a new visitor. Luna cooed and shhh-ed, nuzzling it with her cheek.

She glanced over at Skye as she spoke. "I am...rather gifted with the night creatures. It seems those are they only sorts of creatures I'm good with." Her face fell just a little, reminded that she had not been accepted in pony society quite yet.

The bat, who was still against Luna's cheek, promptly decided to crawl up her face and onto her head. Luna squinted her eyes shut to avoid its claws as it made its ascent. She felt it turn around once it had reached its destination, so that it could keep a close eye on Skye and Celestia. It stretched out its wings, flopping rather than perching on top of Luna's head.

"As you can seeâ€â€Â" Luna finally answered Celestia, "we're all just fine here."

A sad smile fluttered the princess' features at the mentioning of Luna's affinity for only the creatures of the night, she found that not so true, but then she only had an affinity for the creatures of the day, despite her work with the moon and such. She was still primarily a daylight beast and practically radiated sunlight at times.

It wasn't helpful. But it was the way things were it seemed, gently shaking her head to flick out her mane ever so slightly, she looked back towards her sister and the peryton as her smile softened. Everything was fine. Good. She was happy. And so it seemed was the blue cervine.

Lounging in the light of the evening, the old princess let out a relieved sigh, ears falling against her head with a soft smile.

"I'm glad, you've both recovered very well and for that I'm thankful."

He sighed softly as he took in the quiet and gentle surroundings. Who knew Canterlot would be this wonderful! But he knew eventually he'd have to leave it and go his own way home...he had a job he had to do. For now, for now he was a guest of the Princesses in their own home, and he'd enjoy it as much as he could until it was time for him to go home. He opened his eyes, first looking to Luna and her companion, then to Celestia as she spoke. He turned back to Luna and lifted his head, tilting it. "I'm sure there will be a time when all will be forgotten and forgiven, Princess. We have all the time in the world for that. There will come a time when nopony will have been here to witness all that has happened this past year, and I won't hurry their passing. Friendship is a precious thing, and those friends you make will be a cherished memory." he said this last wistfully before closing his eyes again. When he opened them again, he smiled to Celestia. "And some will be there for quite some time yet. But right now, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be, than here with the two of you."

Skye lifted his hindquarters, rising and stretching, his joints popping as he did before he settled back down on the silvery carpet beneath him. A smile creased his face as he watched the bat climbing to the top of the darker sister, as it reached its peak and formed a rather comical hat for her. "Even the night creatures remember you fondly. But they're no less important than the day ones, naturally. Fewer in number, perhaps, but if you think about it, even the day ones are there, trusting you to watch over them and keep them safe while they rest. Perhaps one day you may learn to share their dreams as I do, walking amongst them even while they sleep, sharing their memories and thoughts. I see someday, that you will be as loved and cherished as your sister. It's already begun as your subjects return to you."

As Celestia granted her thanks, he smiled again and splayed his ears. "No doubt in thanks to your quick reactions, Princess. If you hadn't arrived in time, I'm not sure I would have lasted much longer against the bear. I've never been able to influence them as I do other ponies, and it gets more difficult the more unwilling the mind. It might be because they're chaotic in thoughts, but," he turned to gaze at Luna once more. "As your sister has the power of light, I think your powers will manifest more subtly and in turn, be as powerful as hers in your own right, Luna. Have you spent much time trying to learn new magic?"

At Skye's mention of the bear, Luna shuddered just a little, thinking about what the consequences could have been had Celestia not shown up when she did. Luna had been so wrapped up in wanting to apologize, and then after what Celestia had said... she'd forgotten to thank her. Of all the things that could be forgotten, it had to be that. But...there would be time later, for a proper retelling of what had happened, and also a heartfelt thanks.

Luna turned to Skye at his question, and felt the bat shift ever so slightly with her movement. "I admit that I...have not. I still know a few basic spells, and object levitation and basic manipulation are fairly easy...beyond that, I have learned nothing new in the art of magic since my return." she blushed, ever so slightly, as if she were somehow embarrassed.

Smiling at Skye's enjoyment of the garden, the old mares ethereal, opalescent mane fluttering against the night sky softly as her eyes partook of the night sky, yes, forgiveness would come in time...but not now. Enjoy the time had and slowly make penance through joy that they have together.

Glancing to Luna and the bat, her deep eyes twinkled softly in admiration for her little sister. Yes. Both creatures of the night and the day depended on their beautiful princess to watch over them before...before that fateful day. She felt like she'd been stepping into the hooves of a mare much bigger than she could ever wish to be.

Resting her hooves delicately infront of her as she enjoyed the night air that lapped over them all, cool, but not biting, soft like newborn fur. And she revelled slightly in it.

Looking back to the peryton, she went a tad pink in the cheek.

"I couldn't allow harm to come to either of you." She stated simply, looking over both the way a mother might overlook her children. And in a way, she looked over most ponies like they were hers, some more than others.

"You always have the books in the library, dear sister." She noted on the magic business.

He closed his eyes again and lay his head on the soft ground once more, rubbing his chin on the turf. His wings drooped on the ground on either side of him as he practically hugged the garden ground beneath him. He listened as Luna spoke, and appeared to fall asleep for a moment, his sides rising and falling rhythmically. Though his ears gave away his apparent state, swivelling first one way as Luna spoke, then as Celestia responded. He was thinking about the events that had transpired, and cudgeling his memory for events of the past that had taken place. Ages ago, it seemed, when the two sisters were still very young, and Celestia was very nearly the age that Luna appeared now...Luna barely had been born yet, and the elder sister had come to tell him she'd had a new sister. He'd been unable to see her, along with the other ponies there, being too young at the time to have much weight and influence to get to the royal castle in the Everfree Forest...his mother would have never let him do so on his own anyway. But the Princess had always gone where she wished along with her escort of the Royal Guard...most of the time.

But just as Luna had, Celestia had found him, and they'd become friends too, until she'd grown into her duties. But as he had grown, and Nightmare Moon had come about, Celestia had only told him that something had been troubling her...and shortly thereafter Luna's shape had appeared on the moon. No more was ever spoken of the wayward princess, and he barely managed to catch Celestia's attention through the years except for spots here and there. Always friends, always would be, but they'd drifted apart somewhat due to their separate duties. Even when Canterlot was being built, closer to the Whitetail Wood than the old castle had been, visits were still few and far in between. And always, above, through the night was Luna's figure on the moon. Skye felt an attachment to her, as he'd grown from fawn to stag, and even as his parents faded away, the attachment persisted. To both of them. Anchoring him here, even though he should have faded long ago. Word was his brother Nimbus and his sister Storm remained as well...something had affected them that night, and he still hadn't figured what, though he hadn't seen them in years. Maybe he should fix that someday, he thought to himself. Just as these sisters were slowly reconciling, and his own had partied on amicable terms.

But as long as he was here, he would do his duty to Equestria, as he had promised to himself, to the Princess, to the land, that he would remain in Whitetail Wood for as long as he lived, available and there for every traveller who came through...and now, extending his wing around Luna in that, he would always be there as he had for Celestia, when she needed him. He thought about this for a few moments, rolling the words on his tongue in his mind, before opening his eyes to gaze on the princess of night again. "Then I would be happy to be available for you, Luna, you know how to find me and where, and I would be delighted to teach you what I know if you should wish to learn. I can never go beyond what I am, but I'd be happy to share what I have with you."

As Celestia spoke, he turned to look at her again and smiled. "I know, Princess. I will be more careful and mindful of my charges in the future as well. I've learned much from this experience, more than I would have expected these past decades."

Luna seemed to consider Celestia's suggestion about learning magic. "Yes, I know of the library. I've...been there a couple of times since I got back, but...I just have no idea where to start. The library here is so large, it's almost overwhelming."

She perked up at Skye's suggestion though. "I would...very much like that Skye. Anything at all that I can learn now, magic wise, will be useful. There is so much I'll have to relearn..."

She drifted off on the last bit, watching a firefly fly by as she became wrapped up in her thoughts. There was so much that she didn't know, so much that she couldn't remember... She felt as if she were a burden, having to be re-taught and having to grow up all over again. She felt so small, so...helpless, even. A thousand years ago, she could have handled the bear just as her sister had. It was frustrating having to start almost from scratch, with so much still expected of her.

Luna sighed, a wave of sadness washing over her, but for what reason she could not be entirely sure. It seemed to happen a lot since her return, feelings of being lost, sad, hopeless... And the odd thing was that Luna couldn't always figure it out. Being back was something that should have made her happy...and in some ways it did. But it seemed to Luna, as she watched the flying glowing bug, that true happiness was very far off.

His large eyes followed the firefly as it winked its way around the willow tree's trunk, followed by another of its kind until the air seemed to wink randomly with green starlight. It was very like being in the heavens itself, with the silvery flowers below, the canopy of the willow above, and the fireflies as they danced around, and he lowered his head to the floor beneath. His eyes closed again as he lay there comfotably on the turf, his sides rising and falling as he breathed in the moment, before he opened them to look to Luna once more. "Then consider it my gift to you, Princess. As part of my service for as long as you'll have me." his eyes closed again and this time, they did not re-open as he drifted off, memories of the past and dreams of the future dancing through his mind. Possibilities, both missed and yet to come, it never did well to have too many plans, but one should never be unprepared for everything. His body settled as he sank deeper until he his breathing settled into the regular rhythm of sleep. The deer's warmth radiated against Luna as he nearly leaned against her, and faint flickers danced alongst the prongs of his antlers.

It had been a very long time since he'd felt this secure, to fall asleep in the company of anyone, much less the rulers of Equestria. If he were more his proper self, he likely would have never done it, but it'd been a long couple of days and it wouldn't be until morning when he'd wake from this nap.