Guild Wars 2

So, we've had a beta weekend event and a stress test (that mostly went smoothly). Who's given it a whirll?

I tried it for the first time during yesterday's stress test, and found it a lot of fun. It rarely dragged. They've done a good job eliminating most of the stupid time sinks built into MMOs. And the way loot and exp sharing works really encourages pick-up-grouping. I'd find myself facing a really difficult event and HOPING some other players would show up to help out. And other players get EXP for reviving you (not to mention the utility of having one more person there to help beat the bad guys), so it's pretty much a positive when other people are around.

Graphics wise, it really taxed my PC. I've heard that currently, in its unoptimised state, that GW2 goesnt use your GPU, and instead puts everything on the CPU, which seems about right for me. I've got a great video card and a mediocre CPU and I'd estimate I'd played most of the game at somewhere between 15-25 FPS, with the craziest activity probably dipping to 5. Crossing my hooves over here and hoping that they coax some improvements out of the engine here -- This is a beta after all.

I played my time as a Norn Engineer, and I'd say I like the Norn and engineers. Engis are funny. In addition to the usual weapon skills, their utilities seem to inclue a lot of powers that place things, like turrets (like the Team Fortress 2 Engineer!), or replace your weapon skills with specialized subsets of skills. I unlocked a healing set that let me drop healing and buff potions on the ground for anyone to use, and a grenade set that gave me 5 different AoE explosives -- pretty useful against hordes of enemies. From what I'm told, every class can cover any role (some better than others), but engineer seems truly MADE to be ajack of all trades.

For the next beta event (and subsequent character wipe), I'm thinking I might try out Necromancer or Mesmer, or whatever members TempestRime and his friend aren't picking.

• Like 1

I am so hype for GW2. I played Human Warrior for the first weekend event (Since Mia the Titan from GW1 is a human warrior ;D) But this time around I played a Norn Ranger and that was pretty fun, throwing axes around while your per bear attacked things ;D

Mez was a blast, and so was Thief. I never did get to play guardian much but I do think that that it was only due to the fact that I was having so much fun as the other classes that I just didn't care.

If any of you want to add me on GW2 let me know and I'll post up my name in a PM for yall ^^ it'd be a blast to play with some new people seeing as my whole crew from GW1 is going to be repping the same guild in GW2.

Next time round I will probly be playing either Thief or Mez again so that I can try and get to enjoy them more as I spent most of my time as warrior =/ Only thing about warrior that I wish was better was that Shield Stance actually let you keep swinging but just reduced damage instead of it just being a simple block stance. T_T

I spend my time playing on my Necromancer, its extremely fun to play and powerful, I've never been this hyped about a game, the beta just took away all my doubts. though the only problem I always have with beta's is that you feel that you've limited time, which is kinda annoying, but then again it is just for testing and some degree of playing. all in all I hope it gets released soon, and from the beta feedback, I doubt it'll be long from now.

quite right, they're very different from each-other 2, too be honest, I expected the mesmer and the elementalist to be close, but they're completely different, which is awesome.

also, I love dynamic events, they really destroyed the grind, okay, its still there, but neatly packed so that you wont even notice ;D

hi hi

I'm not sure which I want to play more, a human rogue or an azura warrior. I didn't pre-purchase the game, so I wasn't in on the beta events, but I'm going to be playing with my friends when it comes out. (I'm getting close to 30 points in the GW1 hall of monuments, just 3 more to go.)

I'm a little sad that it isn't going to be easier to transfer characters from server to server, but the visiting other servers option sounds nice at least. (I don't know if the post-release servers are going to be the same, but if so, my friends are currently planning on making characters on Henge.)

I'm a little sad that it isn't going to be easier to transfer characters from server to server, but the visiting other servers option sounds nice at least. (I don't know if the post-release servers are going to be the same, but if so, my friends are currently planning on making characters on Henge.)

there's very few games where character transfer is easier then here, and it always costs money.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played in any of the beta's, but I've watched plenty of streams and clips and I have to say, I am really excited to play. I'm a huge fan of MMORPG's, but the sub costs keep me from playing any of the notable ones (I'm stuck with F2P's).

I've already decided I'm going to play a Sylvari Necromancer. I can't wait for this game to come out! :kissy:

I'm going to play GW2 definitely, but I must be pretty bad. I have to use a ranged weapon just to get in hits edgewise, and even then my damage output is in the gutter. I wanted to try the Sylvari when the beta test I played was out but couldn't and got a little irritated there. Oh well. Hopefully I can play it in the future D:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi hi

So, the release date of Guild Wars 2 is almost upon us. A bunch of my friends and I are going to be setting Henge of Denravi as our home server. If you're interested in World v world v world PvP, and don't already have a home server picked out, you could always use that one. For everything else, I'll look forward to seeing some of you there. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, after a long period of not having my laptop, I'm finally on Guild Wars 2, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I got a couple of questions to ask.

First of all, who else here plays it and where are there servers? I was planning on immediately joining the server of a friend, but I had already been prevented from playing it for weeks and I got impatient. My character is a Sylvari Mesmer named Lotus Wilt, currently level 11. I would really like to try making friends on this game, something I never really did well in WoW, and I figure it would be easier if I was playing with someone I already knew.

Secondly, um, I'm getting the impression that I kind of suck as a Mesmer. I'm trying to play through the story campaign, but Ysvelta and what's-his-name are kicking my ass something fierce, and one of the skill point challenges, where I have to duel this other guy, is proving difficult too. In both cases I keep getting cut down before I can get either of these guy's health down to even halfway. I know I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I just picked a class that was too hard to play. Any advice?