[Gallopocus Islands] Excursions 'round the Bay [Open]

Snowshoe

[Addendum at the top for quick viewing: Bowsprit did send out flyers across the Strand area, and this trip is to Manehattan, around the bay to Hoofington, then back down to the Gallopocus Islands, with an estimated travel time of 10 hours.]

The morning came and Bowsprit was up rather early. His ship had to have some maintenance done a few days ago, and he hadn't been able to get on the water or do some tours, and it had made the Earth pony a little antsy. But now the Tub Toy II was ready to sail again, and so was Bowsprit. He'd been up late the day before making sure the rigging was set right, because he was the only crew on the schooner when it set sail, and he wanted to make sure it ran flawlessly so he didn't have to interrupt his tours by running up and down the deck and up the rigging all the time.

The tour building was rather unassuming. It was next to the beach, and it was a nice little wooden cabin, with a hoof-painted sign over the door that said "Bowsprit's Sea Tours", painted with a few other generic nautical-themed images, like a red-and-white striped life-preserver ring on one side, and a stylized blue fish on the other. That same sign was seen in various places across the island, with accompanying arrows to point the ponyfolk to Bowsprit's cabin. He had even gotten flyers distributed across the area to advertise the place, because the upkeep up the cabin, no matter how small, and the schooner bobbing in the wake off the dock at the back, was pretty significant. The flyers even contained the schedule for his trips, just so that people wouldn't have to waste time coming down to find the ship gone, or going on a tour they didn't want.

The ship in particular was Bowsprit's pride and joy. A beautiful two-masted schooner, a little longer than most ships he was used to sailing alone, with a dark blue hull that had a white stripe, about a hoof-widths large, going all the way around the middle of the ship. The wood was oak and well kept with varnish and the like, and the nameplate on the stern was made of brass with the ship's name embossed on it, courtesy of his mother. She had even made the dedication plaque of bronze that rested against the steering wheel, which bore the ship's name again, then Captain Bowsprit (which always made him smile) and a quote his father had found in a book once, which he thought fit Bowsprit to a T: "All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by." The only other personal touch his unicorn mother had given the ship was a brass bullhorn fitted near the ship's wheel, so that Bowsprit's voice could be amplified, a little magically too, for all on board to hear. For now, the Tub Toy II rested against a dock that jutted out from the sand behind the cabin, gently rocking in the wake against its bumpers and the dock, but in two hours, it would soon be out to sea again.

Bowsprit, the captain of the ship, sat in the cabin. The front half held the small office which had a map of Equestria with various coloured arrows pointing out the various tour routes, as well as prices and times. The prices were, in his mind, rather competitive, consider he was, to his knowledge, the only one to provide this service. In the back was a small living space. The door was closed to that, and Bowsprit sat on a chair in front of the door, looking out over the counter and wondering when the first customers would show up. Yeah, sure, he was young, but he was an expert at a ship's wheel, and everypony who'd taken a tour with him before knew that. "Gah, I'm bored..." he groaned, resting his head against a hoof on the counter.

The quiet clip-clop of Hooves on the sand brought a bronzed Unicorn to the little cabin on the beach. Taking the flyer out, he looks first to the paper and then to the sign above the building. Noticing the earth pony, Beacon trots up to get his attention.

"Um, good day. Would you happen to be the proprietor? I saw you toured around Manehatten and Hoofington, and I would love to see them." Pulling some bits from out of his pouch, he sets them on the table. "Um, that is if your available and have room that is."

Bowsprit looked up when he heard some hooves outside, coming up the door. It opened, and in walked a bronze-coloured unicorn. He immediately sat up, not wanting to appear rude, and smiled. "Mornin'!" he said politely. "Yep! Today's tour's a trip to the Seasaddle Bay, with a stop at Manehattan and Hoofington before coming back." he said. He smiled and looked at the bits, counting them out. "You're actually the first customer today, so you're the first aboard! Now, this'll be a long trip, almost ten hours at sea. If you think your sea legs aren't gunna be up to it, or if you might be sick, now'd be the time to say so! Also we won't be leaving for a little ways yet, so if you want I can show you to the ship and let you explore the beach in the area." he offered, looking up at his customer and smiling. He was excited! Ever since he'd had to put the Tub Toy II in for maintenance at his father's shop, he hadn't had a chance to do a tour. Heck, even if it was just for one pony, he'd be happy. He grinned and swept the bits into a till slit on the counter. "Name's Bowsprit." he said happily, holding a hoof out to shake, and pronouncing it 'Bao', like the bow of a ship. "But you can call me Bo." he added with a smile.

Beacon chuckles and shakes the hoof in return. "I should be okay, I think... then again, I'm not as familiar with the waters here. My names Beacon, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." At the mention of the boat, Beacon's face lights up in excitement. "Oh yes, I would love to see the boat! I'll admit, I've only seen them afar when I was a young colt. My Grandpa Mariner told me all about them."

Bowsprit nodded and opened a small door at the end of the counter to get out from behind it. He led Beacon out of the cabin and smiled. "Nice to meet ya. And don't let my Dad hear you call it a boat...he'd talk your ear off over the difference between a ship and a boat." he said with a laugh, leading Beacon down the beach to the long dock, and the blue schooner bobbing gently at the end.

"There she is! The Tub Toy II." he said proudly, the young colt trotting quickly along the dock, then across the gangplank onto the oak deck of the schooner. The top deck had a few benches back to the back along the middle near the mast, to allow folks to sit when they were on the top deck, but was mostly bare. "Ever sail on a ship before?" Bowsprit asked with a smile.

Beacon cautiously trots across the gangplank and onto the deck. Taking a look around, his eyes glimmer with curiosity, soaking up everything he sees. "The Tub Toy II? That's a rather odd name... looks to be a lot bigger then a Tub..." When the subject of his sailing experience comes up, the Unicorn looks down and hoofs lightly at the deck. "Well... I've been on one of those Airships in Canterlot, but I've never been on the sea. Or any type of water vessel." Raising his head, Beacon has a small smile on his face. "Still, they made a wonderful sight; cutting into the water as I watched them from the base of the Baltimare Lighthouse."

Bowsprit laughed. "It was my father's idea. The first Tub Toy was named that way because I built it to literally look like a toy boat I used to have. It's a little one-pony sailboat that I cruise around the bay sometimes. I couldn't think of another name for this, so we christened it that." he explained. He grinned. "It's less that this is bigger than a tub, but the ocean is big enough that in the scheme of things, she's only a toy in it." he explained.

He nodded when Beacon talked about his experience with airship sailing. "I've never actually been on an airship." he said, shrugging. He walked across the deck, seeming quite at home on the gently rocking oak surface.

"Well, I'm sure you'll like being on a sea-going vessel. It's quite fun!" he assured him.

Beacon looks out into the vast sea, a wistful smile appearing on his face. "Yes... it does make a pony pause and think about things." Finding a spot on the deck to sit, he perks up some. "Already, its a big difference from the airships. For starters, its a lot stiller then being on the water." Swaying a little, Beacon plops down ungraciously, his legs failing under him. "It'll certainly take some getting used to. However, its such an interesting adventure." Clearing his throat and reorienting himself, he looks towards Bow. "Well then, shall we be off? Or are there still other passengers to come aboard?"

"Yeah, it's usually nice and still. Today's nice...there's enough wind for me to catch with the sails to go, but not enough that the seas are rough. You really picked a great day!" Bowsprit said with a grin. He watched as the stallion sat down, obviously still getting his sea legs. It usually took folks a few minutes to get used to the rocking, whereas Bowsprit walked around with the trained expertise of a sailor.

"We're actually going to be waiting about an hour or so before we go. If you want to wander around you're welcome to. I'll ring the ship's bell when we're ten minutes from departure." he said with a bit of a sheepish grin.

"I like to think my tours are popular enough to have more than one customer." he explained with a smile.