Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

As requested by Dr.Maxwell, here is a highlight on Cellar Spiders.

cellarspdr3cd.jpg

Cellar Spiders can be found in every continent bar Antarctica. Their definitely not big as their bodies are only a single centimeter, but have disproportionately long legs, granting them the nickname, "Daddy Long Legs". This name is also commonly applied to harvestmen (these are the true daddy long legs in my humble opinion) which actually aren't spiders at all, and an insect known as the crane fly. Cellar Spiders commonly inhabit cool, shady, and damp environments, such as in the corners of garages or sheds and, as the name implies, human basements. Like many others of its kind, the cellar spider preys upon small insects and other spiders and constructs a web to aid them in this endeavor. However, Cellar Spider webs don't function quite the same as other spider dwellings made traps. Firstly, Cellar Spider silk lacks the adhesive properties its cousin’s posses. Secondly is the design they take in constructing their webs. Instead of the elegant pattern that people are prone to admiring. Rather, their webs are an unpredictable tangle. This sloppy web work isn't unintentional though. Since they lack stickiness, Cellar Spider webs rely on the jumbled mess of their silk to tangle up anything that happens to fall in. While a bug is struggling to free itself, the Cellar Spider begins to wrap its soon to be meal in silk until its unable to fight back. It then proceeds with standard spider protocol and sucks up the innards or saves it for later if it’s not hungry at the moment. When threatened, A Cellar Spider will rapidly gyrate in its own web in an attempt to make itself appear bigger and scare of potential threats with the sudden movement. They may also do this, "web rocking" to help tangle prey that has gotten stuck in its web. They are also able to detach one of their legs if it is caught by a predator. There is an urban myth stating that Cellar Spiders and Harvest men posses the deadliest venom of all spiders, but have fangs that are to short to puncture human skin. It is true that their fangs very rarely pierce our skin, their venom is barely even remotely harmful, and at worst, will produce a short lived burning sensation.

Here's a short video showcasing the Cellar Spiders web tactics in action.

There you go Maxwell, hope you found it to your liking!

Okies Bugmaster! Are you all burnt out, or are you ready for more suggestions? There's millions of insect species to go over!

Ha ha. it is true, there are thousands of known insect and spider species on this earth and probably millions yet to be discovered. In fact, let me show you guys a little something.

image002.jpg

This is an earth bio diversity pie chart. As you can see, Insects alone make up almost 75% of the entire chart. Now take a moment to locate mammals. That's us, humans. Actually, that's also including all mammals, such as dogs, cats, rabbits,

Ponies!

and even elephants. So humanity is even smaller than that already insignificant fraction. Pour yourself a cup of tea and sit down for a bit to put all that in perspective.

What does all this mean? That my thread will never go out of business ;-)

OK, joking aside, this means that we might not be as dominant as we think. Most people would disagree, but in my eyes, humanity has a long ways to go before we can truly consider ourselves the most prominent race on the planet. Heck, according to these statistics, if we ever find any life on another planet, chances are, the will probably have six legs or more and will blow our freaking minds!!!

To answer your first question, yeah, I could use a bit of a bug highlighting vacation. It probably won't be a long one but I do need to take a breather. So if you could hold up with the requests, I'd really appreciate it. Don't worry though, I'd still be happy to just discuss anything arthropod with you guys!

Okies, let me know when you're ready, and I'll dish up another request!

Have you eaten any bugs, Bugmaster? I have. They're a great protein source, especially when prepared right!

Insects have never been a part of my diet, no. Although, I do remember once as a todler I came across a cup of milk. Of course, at the time, I didn't question how fresh it was or how long it was out. (it was warm and must of been out for a while :unsure: ) but of course, I was young and didn't know to check. Aside from it tasteing horrible, I felt something moving in my mouth. Both of these factors prompted me to spit the stuff out. Right there, on the counter, was a soaked cellar spider trying to figure out what in the world just happened.

Um if it's not much of a bother Stone I would like a hight light on the Brown Recluse, I've been seeing alot of pale brown spiders lately

What did I just say!?! :x Ha ha ha, I'm just kidding :P I wouldn't mind doing a spotlight for you but like I said, Ima take a bit of a bug highlighting vacation. So I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I'll do a mini-spotlight! I hope you don't mind, Bugmaster.

Brown Recluse spiders can be identified by their circular thorax, hairy legs, and tell-tale violin marking.

4930637503_d21eab3a25.jpg

Like all other spiders, they don't actively seek human victims, and venomous bites only occur whenever a spider feels threatened (such as pressing up against one under bed sheets or sticking your foot in a shoe where one might be hiding). The venom is necrotic, which means it eats away at living cells, leaving a nasty wound that is prone to heavy infection. As the name implies, they tend to hide in dark, secluded places, such as junk heaps or boxes, so just use caution and common sense when you're in an area where they might be hanging out.

Wolf Spiders are commonly mistaken for recluses, as they have a similar body shape and color. Here's a wolfy. As you can see her thorax is oblong and legs are thicker, and there's no violin marking:

rid-wolf-spiders-house-800X800.jpg

I'm sure Bugmaster can give more detailed information about both arachnids, but hopefully this info will help you identify your spiders a little better.

(How'd I do, Bugmaster?)

• Like 1

I used to have contests with my brother to see who could catch the most wolfies in one day... I usually won, yay :D They liked it around rotting wood, that was for sure. There were also lots of pill bugs there. I once had a huge one for a few weeks, before letting her back out. I fed her little bitty crickets, and she was so cute :D

Recluses, on the other hand... blegh, not for me. I will never go near one of those O_O There was one in the Jacuzzi about a week ago... it was drowned and dead, but I still wouldn't go near it. Nasty little buggers :/

Brown Recluse spiders can be identified by their circular thorax, hairy legs, and tell-tale violin marking.

Like all other spiders, they don't actively seek human victims, and venomous bites only occur whenever a spider feels threatened (such as pressing up against one under bed sheets or sticking your foot in a shoe where one might be hiding). The venom is necrotic, which means it eats away at living cells, leaving a nasty wound that is prone to heavy infection. As the name implies, they tend to hide in dark, secluded places, such as junk heaps or boxes, so just use caution and common sense when you're in an area where they might be hanging out.

Wolf Spiders are commonly mistaken for recluses, as they have a similar body shape and color. Here's a wolfy. As you can see her thorax is oblong and legs are thicker, and there's no violin marking:

I'm sure Bugmaster can give more detailed information about both arachnids, but hopefully this info will help you identify your spiders a little better.

(How'd I do, Bugmaster?)

Ha ha ha, that was pretty good rose. I suppose I'm having a bigger influence on folks than I thought!

(How'd I do, Bugmaster?)Well you can just call me spiderman because I have had so many encouters with these things its not even funny. I don't fear them but I tend get nervous when I see one esspacially when it is on crawling on me.

I forgot to mention. Just yesterday, I witnessed a group for 4 ants who were seemingly trying to pry a partialy dried worm from the pavement. It turned out however, that they were actually cuting it up into smaller, more easily carried pieces. One by one, they walked of with seperate chunks of food to bring back to their colony. I know this behavior is very common for ants, but being able to witness it first hand is always an immense plesure for me and always strokes my fascination.

Ants are truly fancinateing creatures. Being able to lift up to three times their own size is outstanding amd there is so many ants in the world.

Definitely, ants can usually, left at least 20, 30, or the renowned 50 times their own weight. Speaking of weight, did you guys know that all the ants on this earth outweigh all of the humans on the planet. I know I say this often but, take a second to put that in perspective. ;-)

Definitely, ants can usually, left at least 20, 30, or the renowned 50 times their own weight. Speaking of weight, did you guys know that all the ants on this earth outweigh all of the humans on the planet. I know I say this often but, take a second to put that in perspective. ;-)

Well if you think about there HOW many ants in one colony?!