Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

See funny thing is... I DON'T need to do that. I'm usually the one people TURN to to dispose of the insects. I tell them I refuse to kill and shall capture and release!

Every creature has the right to live!

The only times I have killed insects were those that I mutated myself (can't be destroying the local population) or mosquitoes that were biting me. But the latter is more reflex than intentional killing.

Everything else, I technically cultivate. Well, I suppose in the process I'm killing the bacterium that I don't want... But... I still am growing just as many!

ok...can you go back a sec...I wanna hear more about these...mutant buggies :3 my interest has been piqued and now i must know of the hideous insect chimera army you are building :lol:

Mutant Buggie? Your gonna have to be more specific than that bud.

oh no bugmaster I was referring to Swirly's post

See funny thing is... I DON'T need to do that. I'm usually the one people TURN to to dispose of the insects. I tell them I refuse to kill and shall capture and release!

Every creature has the right to live!

The only times I have killed insects were those that I mutated myself (can't be destroying the local population) or mosquitoes that were biting me. But the latter is more reflex than intentional killing.

Everything else, I technically cultivate. Well, I suppose in the process I'm killing the bacterium that I don't want... But... I still am growing just as many!

OK, after enduring a traumatic amputation and and several (hopefully) false death threats, I present to you the Amazonian Giant Centipede.

giant_centipede2.jpg

The Amazonian Giant Centipede will inhabit any number of tropical or sub tropical regions of South America. As the name suggests, they are big, reaching lengths of up to an entire foot and as such among the biggest examples centipedes have to offer. They are formidable predators, hunting a wide array of insects, spiders, amphibians and reptiles, and mammals. Crazy as it sounds, they are especially fond of eating bats. They will infiltrate bat filled caves and make a slow crawl to the ceiling of the underground structure. They will then hang from as few as four of their back most legs. It's not long until one of the many bats flying about in the cave come in contact with the centipede. Using all available legs, the Giant Centipede will latch onto the bat with more than enough strength to hold it in place to deliver it's venomous bite. For it's intended victims, the Amazonian Giant Centipede's poison is beyond deadly and in the case of the bat, may very well kill it in mere seconds. Even for humans, though scarcely lethal unless you are allergic to such bites, will cause severe pain, swelling and fever. The Amazonian Giant Centipede's behavior it's self is aggressive and twitchy, making it quick to run away or bite in defense if bothered. Even through it's brutal hunting, the Amazonian Giant Centipede is also a very caring mother when the time arises. After laying her eggs, she will clutch onto them until the hatch and regularly clean them to prevent any harmful fungus from growing, all the while ready to protect her children at any cost. Even after they hatch, she will keep the young close to her for a short while until they are old enough to set off on their own. The only thing more fierce than a Giant Amazonian Centipede on the hunt, is the mother's wrath of a Giant Amazonian Centipede who thinks her children are in danger.

179942_10151846317060603_362117940_n.jpg

OK, there it is next up is the Earwig. You can be expecting that highlight, whenever I feel like it.

What? Really? Do I have to? I already finished the- Alright alright, calm down.

The Amazonian Giant Centipede also has very refined taste.

She is very classy.

There happy? Good, now when can I expect my arm to come in the mail?

Those suckers look vicious! I have no doubts whatsoever they've inspired many a bug villain in movies and culture. I do like how the centipede mothers are very protective of their young -- that's really awesome! Most bug moms tend to eat their kids, lol.

I was kind of debating with myself if I wanted to post this video since the dialog is kind of stupid, but it has good footage portraying the Giant Amazonian Centipede so whatever.

Here's a good one showcasing her bat hunting skills. The black and white night vision is an added bonus.

• Like 1

I've been lurking your thread a fair bit, and I feel so bad for not posting x3

I gotta say, this is the most interesting factual thread I've ever been in :3 I personally don't like a lot of bugs (Especially caterpillars and spiders ._.) but I thoroughly enjoy reading this thread :3

In response to your latest post, it's quite shocking thinking that an insect could kill a mammal as big as a bat o_o well... manage to eat it anyway. And the fact that the video validates it just makes me go 'what.' xD

Gotta say, I really dislike earwigs, like, how they look and always end up in your tent, or on your leg or something if you climb trees and stuff :I But I'm actually looking forward to your post :3 I think fear comes from the lack of knowledge of a creature, not just appearance.

I've been lurking your thread a fair bit, and I feel so bad for not posting x3

I gotta say, this is the most interesting factual thread I've ever been in :3 I personally don't like a lot of bugs (Especially caterpillars and spiders ._.) but I thoroughly enjoy reading this thread :3

In response to your latest post, it's quite shocking thinking that an insect could kill a mammal as big as a bat o_o well... manage to eat it anyway. And the fact that the video validates it just makes me go 'what.' xD

Gotta say, I really dislike earwigs, like, how they look and always end up in your tent, or on your leg or something if you climb trees and stuff :I But I'm actually looking forward to your post :3 I think fear comes from the lack of knowledge of a creature, not just appearance.

Oh hey, I know you. Your the person who draws the cute pictures of her pony OC. Glad to have ya here ;-)
  • Like 1

Stonetribe is very fluent in giant spider, also have some earwigs.

earwig_threat_pose_800.jpg

Earwigs can be found on almost every continent bar artic regions and can be identified by a dark coloration and their trademark forceps pincers. Their not the biggest insects, only growing as big as an inch or two. Although they posses wings, they hardly make use of them. Earwigs are nocturnal feeders and during the day, they prefer to hide in dark, damp and cool crevices. Most Earwigs are scavangers, feeding on decaying organic matter, but some do exhibit predatory behaviors. Earwigs are also commonly epizoic, meaning that they live on other animals, most usualy a mammal, and feed on various body secretions like sweat or skin/scalp scalp flakes. If threatened, earwigs will produce a foul smelling liquid in conjuction to flashing thier rear pincers and attempt to pince if it is continued to be disturbed. As grusomely appearing as they are, earwigs pose no threat humans. They do not transmit any diseases and even the bigger species pincers can produce no more than a harmless clamp on you fingers. Even through all it's frieghtening features, female Earwigs are on of the few insects, bar eurosocial kinds like ants and termites, to display maternal care for there young. She will pay close attention to her eggs and keep them warm and well cleaned. She will also viciously defend them againts any potential predators. When the time comes for the eggs to hatch, she will assist any nymphs that have trouble getting out of their caseing. The nymphs will stay under the watchful eyes of their mother till their second molt. Untill then, the mother Earwig will feed her young regurgitated food.

The Earwig got it's name from an urban myth stateing that Earwigs had the tendency to crawl inside peoples ear and burrow into their brain. However, this is untrue as there is not a single report of an earwig doing this. An Earwig may rarely crawl inside a humans ear, but will not go far and will soon exit the "cave" as it realizes ears make a poor place to hide during the day.

• Like 2

Your very welcome Rose. I'm glad you liked it.

Actually, I forgot to mention something in the highlight regaurding on earwigs impact on agriculture. On on hand, Earwigs commonly prey on plant harming pests like aphids and what not, But they also tend to eat the plants themselves. Because of this, whether earwigs are harmful or benificial to crops is up for debate.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure thing Rosie, but I think I promised to do one on the happy face spider for starswirl first.

Huzzah! Everyone needs a little smile ever once in a while! :) It's such an interesting little critter too.

I love insects for the biology involved with them. How they eat, move, and survive. It's strange, unique, yet incredible in its own way.

However...I find many insects' appearances absolutely repulsive. I can't stand their appearance. Heck, the few images on this page right here kept me scrolling any further down. I just have a huge dislike for some creatures' appearances in nature. It's a personal habit, I'm afraid.

Still, I love how insects work and how they live. Certainly interesting, to say the least.

I love insects for the biology involved with them. How they eat, move, and survive. It's strange, unique, yet incredible in its own way.

However...I find many insects' appearances absolutely repulsive. I can't stand their appearance. Heck, the few images on this page right here kept me scrolling any further down. I just have a huge dislike for some creatures' appearances in nature. It's a personal habit, I'm afraid.

Still, I love how insects work and how they live. Certainly interesting, to say the least.

Don't worry, the line between fear/disgust and hate/spite is a distinguishable one.

It's been awhile since I did a bug highlight, so I hope you guys enjoy this one. Say hello to the Happy Face Spider.

icky_spider.jpg

Before I continue, no, this is not photoshopped. No, some dude did not paint a happy face on him. And yes, mother nature thought it would be hilarious to put a smiley face on a spider. The Happy Face Spider, (or HFS, for now on) is exclusively native to the Hawaiian islands of Oʻahu, Molokaʻi, Maui and of course Hawaii itself. They only grow up to be 5 mm long, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you how you can identify them. They exhibit fairly standerd spider behavior. They usually spin their webs on the underside of leaves and wait for an unsuspecting insect to become ensnared in it's trap. It will then proceed to wrap the victim in silk and eat it's inards. The most obvious source of interest is the HFS's peculiar pattern displayed on it's abdomen. Just like a snowflake, no two HFS patterns are alike. Some even lack the markings altogether. As to why these spiders were bestowed upon these curious markings is a bit of a mystery. The most probable solution scientest's think is to confuse larger predators, such as birds. The only problem is that a smile isn't something that would usually deter a bird from choosing it as a meal. Bugmaster Stonetribe's personal theory is that the markings aren't meant to prevent birds from harming them, but human beings instead. A young girl probably wouldn't feel any remorse steping on a spider that crawled out from under her dresser. But if she were to come across a colorful spider with a goofy looking happy face on it, she might actually find it amusing and even encourage it to stick around.

There you are Swirly, hope you liked it! Next up are Rollypollys.

• Like 1