Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

I think I'll recycle a highlight I already did on a different forum that I'm not active on anymore.

Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome the Japanese Mountain Leech.

240px-Haemadipsa_zeylanica_japonica.jpg

As the name implies, This varaity of leech can be found in japan among other tropical/subtropical regions around the indian and pacific ocean. There size can be compared to an earthworm, but it can vary depending on if it just finnished a blood meal. Like most blood sucking creatures, they seek out larger, warm blooded creatures. They're efforts in finding hosts can be incredibly energetic as well as precise. Sometimes they will wait on foilege, sticking out like twigs, waiting for something to brush by and latch on to. Other times they may drop down from the trees when they detect movement from below. Even if removed by some means, they will make attempts to reattach themselves and persure their victems. Leeches usually have one mouthpart on one end, and a tail sucker on the other end. They move using a peculiar locomotion similar to that of a slinky moving down a flight of stairs. They can move at a very surprising speed using this method.

All of these behaviors suggests that they inhibit much more intellegence than a leech would usually be credited with. When they do zero in on a host, they don't just dig in and drink away. First, they release an anesthetic into where they plan on making a bite so that the host remains unaware of their presence. Then they inject an anticoagulant enzyme, known as hirudin, which prevents the blood from cloting and keeps it flowing. This may make a leech bite seem worse than it actually is when removed. Once it begins feeding, they may grow many times their original size before releaseing themselves to digest the blood. It should be noted that not all Leechs are parasitic, as some exhibit strictly predatory natures. This varaity is generaly larger than their parrasite reletives. They will attempt to swallow whole anything smaller than them or something of the same size.

All things considered, leech bites are almost never fatal if treated properly. If you do find a leech on yourself, don't just pull it off. This may result in the mouth part remaining attached to the wound and is the most common, if not only source of infection. Instead, use your fingernail or some other flat surfaced object to slide the mouthpart off from the side. Some leeches also attach their tail suckers to help secure themselves on you. This is can be identified as the fat end and can be removed in the same method as a mouthpart.

As you may know, leeches also provide medical uses and can assist in aiding doctors with microsurgery. Sometimes, due to technical difficulties in forming an anastomosis of a vein, the human body makes no attempt to reattach a venous supply to a flap at all. This is known as venous insufficiency. If this congestion is not cleared up quickly, the blood will clot, arteries that deliver tissues their necessary nourishment will become plugged, and said tissues will die. To prevent this, leeches are applied to a congested flap, and consume a certain amount of excess blood before falling off. The wound will also continue to bleed for a while due to the hirudin in the leeches' saliva. The combined effect reduce's the swelling in the tissues and promotes healing by allowing fresh, oxygenated blood to reach the area

!

This guy has some excellent videos and footage detailing the mountain leech if you are further interested.

I personally find leeches fascinating and their mal reputation undeserved. This does remind me of a leech species I found while doing research on the internet.. I can't remember it's name, but I recall that it had some sort of teeth that it would use to "saw" at a host's flesh. The website over exaggerated the whole thing but I found it interesting. Does this ring any bells bugmaster?

I personally find leeches fascinating and their mal reputation undeserved. This does remind me of a leech species I found while doing research on the internet.. I can't remember it's name, but I recall that it had some sort of teeth that it would use to "saw" at a host's flesh. The website over exaggerated the whole thing but I found it interesting. Does this ring any bells bugmaster?

Sorry, I can't say it does.

Awww! It's kind of cute. Until it decides to feed on you...

If not for the mess and the fact that it would be deemed unacceptable behavior, I honestly would mind sharing a bit of my blood with a leech. I believe that they're a lot more intelligent then we give the credit for and we can't blame them for wanting to eat. They don't have the luxury of three meals a day that we take for granted.

Can I place a request for an assassin bug? They're like unpaid assassins hired by farmers and gardeners!

Don't let the title and picture fool you! This video just shows a BUNCH of insects and arachnids I want to learn about! It's about this guy who goes to a museum all about them. BBQ cricket cookie crisps at the end! Not for the squeamish!

Sorry, I can't say it does.

If not for the mess and the fact that it would be deemed unacceptable behavior, I honestly would mind sharing a bit of my blood with a leech. I believe that they're a lot more intelligent then we give the credit for and we can't blame them for wanting to eat. They don't have the luxury of three meals a day that we take for granted.

I never get upset with a creature for acting on its natural behavior. Same goes for parents and babies -- if you get mauled/bitten/stung whatever for getting too close, it's your fault. Would I let a leech hang out on me and have a meal? They're smart and probably don't need to feed often, just like spiders, so a little nutrients will go a long way. If I found one attached to me, I'm sure it would have had plenty by the time I pried it off, but I don't think I'd offer the creature willingly. I can't deny they are amazing creatures for medical use, and they have saved many a patient's life and limb.

I have a question to ask. My friend on another forum just posted her study on a bug, and I want to see if she's right in what she says.

"I just finished studying a Grandaddy Longlegs.

Just to be clear, since there are multiple types of GL, we have the little ball shaped one with eight hair-like legs. They aren't spiders, and don't have fangs.

As a kid, I noticed two points on a GL's "face". What happened to no fangs? Well, as I watched this one, those points seem to be tounges. If that's true, then my shower must be delicious.

Anyway, it was tapping the wall with it's two front legs, the longest. Then it pulled in one and started to lick it furiously, probably cleaning. After cleaning that one, it began to work on the other one.

I was curious as to what it's face looked like, so I got in as close as I could without breathing on it. THE STUPID THING HAS NO EYES. No wonder it didn't freak at the giant looming over it, watching its every move.

I started to think about how it sees where it's going, so I gently blew on it to see how it moves. It's two long legs tapped the wall, swinging from side to side, as the other six legs ran. Those are freaking intena (spelling?).

If I'm right, then not only is this not a spider, IT'S NOT EVEN AN ARACHNID."

Is she right in assuming this? :P

I have a question to ask. My friend on another forum just posted her study on a bug, and I want to see if she's right in what she says.

Just to be clear, since there are multiple types of GL, we have the little ball shaped one with eight hair-like legs. They aren't spiders, and don't have fangs.

As a kid, I noticed two points on a GL's "face". What happened to no fangs? Well, as I watched this one, those points seem to be tounges. If that's true, then my shower must be delicious.

Anyway, it was tapping the wall with it's two front legs, the longest. Then it pulled in one and started to lick it furiously, probably cleaning. After cleaning that one, it began to work on the other one.

I was curious as to what it's face looked like, so I got in as close as I could without breathing on it. THE STUPID THING HAS NO EYES. No wonder it didn't freak at the giant looming over it, watching its every move.

I started to think about how it sees where it's going, so I gently blew on it to see how it moves. It's two long legs tapped the wall, swinging from side to side, as the other six legs ran. Those are freaking intena (spelling?).

Depends, is she talking about cellar spiders...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

Or harvestmen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones

It's an arachnid either way. So that part is wrong. If it had a two part body (head and thorax) then it is a spider (cellar spider to be exact). If it had a one part body, then it's the other, which is an arachnid but not a spider.

Oh and since the front legs are mandible, they are not antennae. Even if they aren't used to walk all the time (or at all in some cases)

Just to expand, classification of living organisms is done in different groups that get more specific. The kingdom would be animalia, the phylum would be arthropoda, arachnida is the class, dromopoda would be the subclass (which also includes fun critters like scorpions), and finally the order of opiliones, which describe Harvestmen.

Cellar spiders, in contrast, vary from arachnidia onward under the order of araneae, or spiders.

Okay, so this thread really interests me for several reasons, and it was already up to page 18 when I joined the forum. I've gotten up through page 6 so far, and read the last two pages. The PMS is REALLY pretty! Wowza.

Glad your enjoying your stay. ;-)

Okay, I finally caught up on the whole thread!

So now that I know it hasn't been discussed, Bugmaster, would you mind discussing different types of "bees" - all those kinds of stinging insects. I have a horrible phobia of them all and I think I would greatly benefit by knowing exactly which ones will leave me alone and which ones I should be rightfully wary of.

So now that I know it hasn't been discussed, Bugmaster, would you mind discussing different types of "bees" - all those kinds of stinging insects. I have a horrible phobia of them all and I think I would greatly benefit by knowing exactly which ones will leave me alone and which ones I should be rightfully wary of.

I appaud your reading the whole thread, it's lengthy and shows your interest in Bugs. After I finish my Jumping Spider highlight, I'd be happy to. ;-)
  • Like 1

I shall help you, as I have been there myself.

I can tell you quick that most bees will leave you well enough alone, and allow bug master to expand upon later. Most bees in America are European Honeybees and are generally docile unless you do something to anger them. They generally don't want to sting you, since that leads to them being disemboweled. Which I cannot imagine to be too pleasant.

Africanized honeybees on the other hand are highly territorial and very protective and swarm almost at the drop of the hat. This comes from their African survival instincts, which say that "anything near my hive is a threat and needs to be destroyed." Avoid these.

As for other stinging insects... like wasps and hornets.. I must admit I am always weary, this is in spite of my logical brain telling me not to. Unlike bees wasps and hornets can both bite and sting, and don't die from stinging. They are predators, and that is their method of attack. There is good news and bad news...

The good news is, most of them don't give two licks about humans, and will leave you alone. I don't think people give insects enough credit in the intelligence department. They are pretty curious. A wasp or hornet will willingly approach a human with no ill intent but to see this monolith before it, and will fly away to hunt for its next meal. Unlike bees, wasps and hornets are solitary hunters, so you won't have a swarm of them attack you trying to make you into their meal. So like any smart small creature, it will NOT attack you for self preservation reasons, unless it is necessary. And happily enough, flying is good for escape in most cases. This is the same for pretty much all arthropods. Why attack something that can kill you with minimal effort? Heck, humans have the same instinctual responses. Fight or Flight.

The bad news... Some wasps like human food, these are known most commonly as "yellow jackets" and are often mistaken for bees. Now, these are the guys that will attack you most times, mainly because of their interaction with humans over our delicious food. Again, most would rather fly away, but despnation of a hungry creature knows no size, and it will attack if there is sufficient reason. So if you are afraid, best just leave your food and walk away. It and the rest of the insect world will likely thank your contribution (and perhaps some of the animal kingdom as well). Remember, they are ALSO very curious. And will approach you for no reason other than because you are there.

Honestly, from what I have heard, if a wasp or a bee is angry enough to sting you, there is little you can do to stop it. If you are afraid avoid. If you are forced into a confrontation, stay calm. Remember, size does matter and you are about 1000 times bigger than most insects. They would rather flee than fight if they are not threatened. These instincts are pretty universal from what I have seen.

I hope that helped. Just remember that most stinging creatures are only out for a meal and not to get you. If a bee stings you, you were likely a threat to it. So don't go threatening bees ;)