Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Well this is long overdue, sorry guys. I'll get right too it.

The Goliath Bird Eating Turantula also known as simply as the Goliath Spider.

20-species-goliath-bird-eating-spider_34633_600x450.jpg

The Goliath Spider is found in rain forrest regions of South America. And despite it's name, it does not normally eat birds. This name's orgin comes from reports of it's first discovery in the victorian era where one explorer witnissed one eating a humming bird. It's other defining feature is that by mass, it is the biggest spider known to man. (by legspan, that title goes to the huntsman spider) Here's a picture so you can grasp how big it is.

spiders_1a.jpg

Yes, it's very, very big. I can also gladly say that to humans, it is relativly harmless. It's venom is comparable to that of a wasps sting. It's fangs are about and inch and a half and length, and yes, can pierce human skin. However like almost all spiders, they only bite in self defense or if they feel threatened. Intrestingly enough, a bite is the least of your worrys. To ward off threats, the the goliath spider will franticly rub its back with its legs, kicking its hairs up into the air. These hairs, if caught in your eyes, nose, or the back of your throught are very very insanly irritating. I think I remember hearing somewhere that people who have fallen victem to this method of repealent have stated that they would have much rather been biten.

• Like 1

It's so big! Oh my Celestia, it's so big! *faints*

Thanks for the info, Bugmaster! I've learned something new!

They're certainly not web-weavers, are they? I imagine they'd be too heavy to hang out on a web in the air.

It's so big! Oh my Celestia, it's so big! *faints*

Thanks for the info, Bugmaster! I've learned something new!

They're certainly not web-weavers, are they? I imagine they'd be too heavy to hang out on a web in the air.

Nah, although goliath spiders do employ silk when on a look out for food. You see, when hunting they will lay out single strands of silk in the area which act like little trip wires. If suitable prey passes by, they will be alerted and pounce with great strength and inch long fangs.

On a personal note, I really, really, like these guys. I often find myself wishing I had a giant dog sized version that I could cuddle with whenever I take a nap.

Nah, although goliath spiders do employ silk when on a look out for food. You see, when hunting they will lay out single strands of silk in the area which act like little trip wires. If suitable prey passes by, they will be alerted and pounce with great strength and inch long fangs.

On a personal note, I really, really, like these guys. I often find myself wishing I had a giant dog sized version that I could cuddle with whenever I take a nap.

I'm sure a spider that size would like to snuggle with you, too!

AH TOO MANY LEGS!!! ew ew ew ew ew ewe wadkfhjbef!

normal size? yeah really cool!

dog size spider cuddling me with all 8 of those furry legs? no want! NO WANT! DX

I'll settle for my little schnauzer, Buster. Four legs and two eyes is enough for me to cuddle :blush:

Honestly I will say beetles and spiders aside, except jumping spiders, I'm totally ok with bugs I actually think ants are kinda cute. der jus so teeny tiny itsy bitsy!

and den jumping spiders are just so adawable cuz dey got the tiny wittle legs and the big fuzzy face and they're super itty bitty too :kissy:

I find spiders adorable. :halo:

Oddly, I find all insects either interesting or cute, except moths. Oh god, moths... :-o

I'm totally the opposite! I have a soft spot for moths and I'll go out of my way to save one from harm. Spiders however...ugh. (Except SaucySpider.)

There's actually a spider that set up camp in my living room. I've left it alone and named it Saucy. Just sayin'!

Excuse me? I actually have a pet spider! She's a dark fishing spider so while her particular breed tends to live the farthest away from water, I still think she can walk on the waters surface like her more aquatic prone sisters. I found her on the backside of my dad's shed last fall and decided to take her in. She happily eats crickets I buy at the local pet store, but seeing as how the weather is warming up, I'll probably be able to start catching them for her again. She's shed her skin twice now, she's about the size of a playing card now. I'll have to take some pictures sometime and post them here. Her name is coincadently Rosey, though I was considering the name Scarlet.

Pictures ! I want to see what your spider looks like.

How do fishing spiders usually eat their preys ? The many ways bugs and the like devour each other fascinates me for some reason.

love my best friend more than me will you...I WILL MAKE YOU LOVE ME!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: haha no but really you seem in love with his username :P

He's cool too, on top of the neat username. But I digress...

Have you ever eaten any bugs, Bugmaster Stoney? I have! Crickets and mealy worms! And chocolate covered ants.

Pictures ! I want to see what your spider looks like.

How do fishing spiders usually eat their preys ? The many ways bugs and the like devour each other fascinates me for some reason.

As far as I know all spiders use the same method... They inject their digestive juices into their prey through their fangs. Then when the insides of their prey are liquidized they drink it like a smoothy!

Oh I am so glad you ask. As I mentioned earlier, fishing spiders can walk across the surface of the water. Their able to do this thanks to the special hairs on their legs and bodys that help trap air bubbles ultimately allowing them to manipulate water tension, in addition to keeping the dry. They can even dive under the waters surface for a short while. When hunting, they will keep their hind legs anchored to the shore on something solid like a rock or a plant, with their front legs resting atop the waters surface feeling for the vibrations of potential prey. When they do find something, they'll dash towards it with uncanny speed and proceed to pounce and engulf it with their entire bodys. They can catch and eat anything from small insects that have fallen onto the waters surface to much bigger meals such as tadpoles, fish, and even frogs. I think I know a video detailing this pretty well, hold on.

However I should say that my particular breed of fishing spider is much more terrestrial and does most of her hunting on land.