Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Bravo! That pink mantis is pretty! Oh wow!

Only a three month lifespan?! I was thinking how neat it would be to keep one as a pet, but that three month lifespan...I know I'd totally get attached to it and have my heart broken. Nature is cruel!

I know some gardening shops sell manti egg sacks to hatch little ones for your garden to eat pests. They look like little grey styrofoam blobs!

Yes, praying mantises are incredibly benificial to humans as they eat countless critters that are harmful to us. There is even an urban myth that it is illegal to kill praying mantises since they are so helpful as well as their religious appearance. It's not true of course, as much as I'd like it to be.

I was briefly trained in Praying Mantis as part of my Wing Chun training. It is a fun style. It focuses on breaking and trapping in the opponents guard and fast accurate strikes (which is why my sifu decided to teach me it along side Wing Chun). If you watch that video, they are actually hitting mostly pressure points and vital areas.

That said, the praying mantis's popularity in Asia has lead to unfortunate gambling using two praying mantii in a cage match. (You can actually see this in a Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon) Insect fighting in general is popular in China. It is unfortunate that any two creatures would be unwillingly made to fight one and other.

This was extremely interesting. I thank you bugmaster Stonetribe.

I was briefly trained in Praying Mantis as part of my Wing Chun training. It is a fun style. It focuses on breaking and trapping in the opponents guard and fast accurate strikes (which is why my sifu decided to teach me it along side Wing Chun). If you watch that video, they are actually hitting mostly pressure points and vital areas.

That said, the praying mantis's popularity in Asia has lead to unfortunate gambling using two praying mantii in a cage match. (You can actually see this in a Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon) Insect fighting in general is popular in China. It is unfortunate that any two creatures would be unwillingly made to fight one and other.

This was extremely interesting. I thank you bugmaster Stonetribe.

Glad you think so. I didn't think anyone here would be familiar in mantis Kung fu (unless you watched that karate panda movie) much less have experience in it.

Stoney perhaps you can help me with something. I used to collect these oversized trading cards that had different types of animals with all kinds of awesome facts on them. I remember there was this one really interesting exotic insect who's name escapes my mind. It had a rather long and out of the way name so forgive me. Anyway as for a description. I believe it was said to be related to praying mantis's and varied between brown and green. It hangs from branches and has large flat front limbs that allow it to very convincingly imitate a hanging leaf. I believe it is carnivorous and I think it lives in the amazon, I could be wrong about that though. Any idea as to what it could be? I would really appreciate any help this has actually been bugging me for months.

Stoney perhaps you can help me with something. I used to collect these oversized trading cards that had different types of animals with all kinds of awesome facts on them. I remember there was this one really interesting exotic insect who's name escapes my mind. It had a rather long and out of the way name so forgive me. Anyway as for a description. I believe it was said to be related to praying mantis's and varied between brown and green. It hangs from branches and has large flat front limbs that allow it to very convincingly imitate a hanging leaf. I believe it is carnivorous and I think it lives in the amazon, I could be wrong about that though. Any idea as to what it could be? I would really appreciate any help this has actually been bugging me for months.

Hmmm, I can't say I have heard of this particular insect and the details you provided aren't fairing well with any search engines. Might you be able to tell my what the trading card series name is? Then I should be able to find it online and most likely some sort of gallery including every card.

they were called weird and wild creature cards. Also I think "jack" was in the name as though it were named after someone. Sorry I cant remember any more than that. :unsure:

and rosewind I swear on my life that was totally unintentional :blush:

It took a deal of digging, but I think I found it. would it happen to be called the Ornate Mantis or the long name Gongylus gongylodes? Here's a picture.

violin-mantis-subadult.jpg

Pretty cool looking if you ask me.

• Like 1

Wow, i'm really surprised to learn so much about the praying mantis. Very nice job indeed Stonetribe, you did your homework.

Glad you enjoyed it! Stick around, I'll be doing tons of other similar highlights on various other bugs.

D:

that is the coolest thing I've ever seen D: how does something that cool even even exist? I've never seen anything other than deep sea fish look that cool.

EDIT: double ninja'd XD

D:

that is the coolest thing I've ever seen D: how does something that cool even even exist? I've never seen anything other than deep sea fish look that cool.

EDIT: double ninja'd XD

Yes, for centuries the praying mantis has captivated the minds of countless people with their majestic appearance and fascinating behavior.

hmmm im not sure thats it though it is quite similar. It think I forgot one crucial thing. Its entire body is curved to the extreme in a scorpion like fashion and it hangs by its hind legs. My memory is fuzzy but this could be it or it may not be a mantis at all :/ thank you for trying so hard to help me though I really appreciate it :)

Your very welcome. Other names that I found it to go by are wandering violin mantis and Indian rose mantis, in case those names might ring a bell.

Whoops, I ment to include this in my mantis highlight. I'll edit it in later but ima post it here just in case. Here's a video to give you but a taste of the Praying Mantis's excellent predatory prowess.

Here's an insect that makes me a little afriad of lakes and ponds, the Water Bug.

waterbug3.jpg

As the name suggests, water bugs are aquatic insects that usually reside in fresh water habbitats and can be found all over the world excluding polar regions. With a life span of about a year, they usual sport a brownish color and can often be identified by their leg possitions with their front pair of legs stretching outwards as opposed to their two hind legs stretching backwards. They are exellent swimmers, which is a good thing as many of them are predators, usually hunting other invertebrates. The larger species however, regularly prey on small fish, frogs, and salamanders. Useing a piercing mouth part called a rostrum, they stab their prey and then suck up the liquids inside. With it, they can easily pierce through human skin, being more painful than a bee sting. This has earned them the nickname "Toe biter" Here's an example of how big they can get.

jackHoldingWaterbug.jpg

I sense a hint of resentfulness from you. I'm a good sport about these things but my insect followers? Not so much. The water bugs said they would behave when I asked. But just in case, well I'm sure you take showers as apposed to baths right?

I LOVE water bugs! :D They are so cute, especially when they are little. I once found a few of them in the neighborhood pool. Very fun little buggers.

See? This guy has the right attitude.