Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Don't worry blaze, your not anymore unwelcome here now than when you were from before. Which is to say, not at all to begin with. On another unrelated note, I'm somewhat pleased of my rather confusing word choice I just made.

yeah kinda figured. Biologist right? I just felt a little accused was all. Sorry if I mistook your tone Swirly, no hard feelings :sad:

No worries. I'm very difficult to get offended or to hurt my feelings :). And I do have a habit of speaking, er, rather frankly :P So its understandable if you mistook my tone. And I am indeed a biologist, specifically molecular.

And what you said about the microorganisms is correct. People who over use anti-bacterial things tend to be at higher risk for disease, because your first line of defense of your body is not only dead skin, but bacteria who live off of said dead skin who don't want their gracious host to be killed by some other evil bacteria. THEY FIGHT FOR YOU! Just like how Tron fights for the user! .... Oh dear, I have apparently been watching too much Tron... Curse you Showtime!

In fact, there are so many unique bacterium on your skin, that research is being done to identify people through the DNA Sequencing of bacteria left on surfaces by people! (You know, for the savvy criminal who decided to wipe down the area to avoid fingerprints)

And believe me, that was nothing to do with you, but people categorizing certain creatures as "disease carrying" kinda gets on my nerves. It is like people are afraid for the wrong reasons and don't understand why. Yes certain creatures venture into areas more bacteria laden than others (like flies and cockroaches), but honestly, if you are going to say that of them, then you might as well call every creature whom does the same things "disease carrying" too. You know, like stray cats, dogs... small children (oh dear, especially small children sometimes). Only seems fair.

If it makes you feel any better, I also took issue with the media calling the Higgs Boson the "God Particle." I get annoyed at things like that. Silly, I know. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I also took issue with the media calling the Higgs Boson the "God Particle." I get annoyed at things like that. Silly, I know. :)

not at all! I had the same reaction. Since when does particle physics have ANYTHING to do with religion? The whole sensationalizing of everything new or scary is why I dont watch the news anymore. Too many things just blown out of proportion. Almost definitely the reason why so many people have that tendency to think everyone is always getting sick from bugs, parasites and vermin. And then of course there is other extreme with the whole "THE BIRD FLU IS COMING YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, THE WORLD IS ENDING PANDEMIC APOCALYPSE! PANDEMIC APOCALYPSE!!!" thing a few years ago and then the more recent rehash with the swine flu. The later really made me want to slap someone "oh no! its already killed FIFTEEN PEOPLE IN THE USA we're all gonna die! when the regular flu kills hundreds of already sick, elderly, or very young people every year. gotta love it.

The games were very fun and incredibly challenging, especially since I was younger back then and less video game savvy, haha. I mostly remember it as Rockman, due to the Japanese naming of it.

I actually enjoyed the old cartoon of it quite a lot, despite the fact I would find it very cliche and cheesy now.

The history channel in a nut shell "5% fact and evidence, 95% theories and speculation"

I'll have the moth highlight up by tomorrow. Alright then, back to bugs...

You know, I've often wondered why so many people are allergic to gluten, eggs, wheat, soy etc. now more than ever before -- entire market aisles and businesses are dedicated to the production of products free from these things.

Were people allergic to these foods before -- and we're just seeing more of it since the population is bigger now than it was before the onset and aftermath of the Industrial Revolution -- or is there something else going on?

Sounds like we need to split this off into another topic, maybe. Any ideas for a title? Science Pet Peeves?

I know that lactose intolerance is natural, and that the fact that some people are lactose tolerant is due to a mutation in the E-coli bacteria in your stomach. That's the limit of my sciency knowledge though.

Stoney perhaps you can help me with something. I used to collect these oversized trading cards that had different types of animals with all kinds of awesome facts on them. I remember there was this one really interesting exotic insect who's name escapes my mind. It had a rather long and out of the way name so forgive me. Anyway as for a description. I believe it was said to be related to praying mantis's and varied between brown and green. It hangs from branches and has large flat front limbs that allow it to very convincingly imitate a hanging leaf. I believe it is carnivorous and I think it lives in the amazon, I could be wrong about that though. Any idea as to what it could be? I would really appreciate any help this has actually been bugging me for months.

Are you talking about leaf bugs? That's what it sounds to me like you're talking about. Here's a picture of one.LeafInsect.jpg

Thanks, Bugmaster Stonetribe. This has actually been very informative and fun. The video of the ants taking down the crab was pretty creepy though, but I loved how they made a bridge out of themselves. I'm okay with insects, but I can't stand spiders. I can't even touch them without freaking out. I know it's a ridiculous phobia, but I just can't help it. I thought the Goliath Beetle was the strongest beetle? Or are they just the biggest? Whelp, anyway, I need to keep an eye on this thread.

I know that lactose intolerance is natural, and that the fact that some people are lactose tolerant is due to a mutation in the E-coli bacteria in your stomach. That's the limit of my sciency knowledge though.

Are you talking about leaf bugs? That's what it sounds to me like you're talking about. Here's a picture of one.LeafInsect.jpg

Thanks, Bugmaster Stonetribe. This has actually been very informative and fun. The video of the ants taking down the crab was pretty creepy though, but I loved how they made a bridge out of themselves. I'm okay with insects, but I can't stand spiders. I can't even touch them without freaking out. I know it's a ridiculous phobia, but I just can't help it. I thought the Goliath Beetle was the strongest beetle? Or are they just the biggest? Whelp, anyway, I need to keep an eye on this thread.

Oh hey, I remember you from the introduction section. My advertising actually worked! Glad your enjoying my thread. Arachnophobia is not a ridiculous one, it's actually the most common fear in the entire world.

yeah If most humans didnt have an aversion to bugs we probably wouldnt have survived as a species for very long. If everyone was all hey look at this little guy omigosh I wanna hug everybug!!! then there would be a lot of deaths by poisonous insects because people wouldnt know what they were doing. So its a good thing that most people arent to keen on them. thats not to say nowadays we shouldnt accept them its just back before electricity and modern science and all that people werent as educated and therefore picking up strange insects was a quick way to get yourself terminally ill

yeah If most humans didnt have an aversion to bugs we probably wouldnt have survived as a species for very long. If everyone was all hey look at this little guy omigosh I wanna hug everybug!!! then there would be a lot of deaths by poisonous insects because people wouldnt know what they were doing. So its a good thing that most people arent to keen on them. thats not to say nowadays we shouldnt accept them its just back before electricity and modern science and all that people werent as educated and therefore picking up strange insects was a quick way to get yourself terminally ill

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one blaze. Even though there are literally hundreds of millions of different types of insects and spiders, I'm fairly certain the the vast, vast majority of them are relatively harmless to humans, with the amount that do pose any lethal significance being less than 5%. Even then, areas that do home deadly bugs aren't very heavily populated by humans. Even if throughout history, we adored bugs on a daily basis, humans are still smart enough to learn from their mistakes and keep away after the first guy who cuddled with a brown recluse died an, at the time, unexpected death. I doubt the casualty count would be very different, much less entire extinction.

right but Im looking at this from an evolutionary standpoint. Homo Sapiens evolved from less intelligent species that would have required a built in mechanism to keep them away. Some more instinctual or a passed down behavioral conditioning that kept them away. A yeah most bugs are harmless but then we're talking about a group of primates that arouse from ethiopia. I may be very wrong, im no expert, but I was under the impression that insects are a much bigger problem in africa. :/

Well after you put on such a charming display I couldn't help but check out your thread.

I can see where you're coming from Blaze, but don't apes and monkeys eat insects? I mean people still eat bugs too in some places, don't they? I remember seeing a documentary on the Amazon where people would cook spiders on sticks and eat them. Actually on some level you may be right. I just remembered something I read a long tome ago about people fearing snakes because they were a big threat a long time ago.

As requested by Ancre, I'm going to do a highlight on moths, specifically, a group of them known as Hawk Moths.

Oleander_Hawk_Moth.jpg

At least a few species of Hawk Moths can be found in any region, but they are most common in the tropics. The name "Hawk Moth" is derived from their exceptional flying skills as well as their relativity large size , sporting a wingspan that can range from two to eight inches. Adults mainly feed on flower nectar, and are efficient pollinators. They do this in a fashion similar to butterflies using a coiled proboscis or "tounge" which can grow rather long, recorded as being as big as 13 inches.

Most species of Hawk Moth larva are commonly referred to as "hornworms" due to the often prominent horn like structure at their posterior end. When disturbed, they are quick to vomit up sticky, hazardous contents from their esophagus. They are commonly labled as harmful to tomato and tobacco crops, although the actual amount of damage they can cause varies significantly.

3rd%20instar2.jpg

As stated above, the most unique feature of the Hawk Moth are its excellent flying abilities. They are among the fastest flying insects, reaching speeds of up to 30 miles per hour! They are also able to hover in midair to feed on flower nectar like humming birds and have actually been mistaken as such. This mid place hovering is actually a skill that is rather rare in the animal kingdom, only found in certain bat species, hoverflies, and humming birds themselves. During this hover flight, they can even make sharp movements from side to side repeatedly known as "swing-hovering". This behavior is thought to have been evolved in order to better avoid predators.

There you go Ancre, hope you and the others enjoyed it!

• Like 3

Bugmaster -- since you've raised my buggy awareness, I've been less hasty to kill insects when I come across them in my home. Knowledge in the right place can truly make a difference.

I'm sure you're quite delighted to hear this!

(Saucy is getting big in her corner.)

I'm a girl!?

While I was doing the Moth highlight, I was a bit straped for time since I was to be going somwhere soon so sorry if it seems a bit rushed. I made a few edits to make up for it.

Well after you put on such a charming display I couldn't help but check out your thread.

I can see where you're coming from Blaze, but don't apes and monkeys eat insects? I mean people still eat bugs too in some places, don't they? I remember seeing a documentary on the Amazon where people would cook spiders on sticks and eat them. Actually on some level you may be right. I just remembered something I read a long tome ago about people fearing snakes because they were a big threat a long time ago.

Glad to see you here. I hope you stick around and have some fun learning a thing or two on arthropods, this earths real dominent species.

no you're a dummy. :P Rosie named that spider after you remember?

Your talking about the one in Rosewind's living room right? I'll have to ask her if she can identify what kind of spider it is, I'm curious. I'd be glad to do a funnel web highlight Winter. But first, I promised Rosie that I would do a highlight on the waterstrider next.

I second the funnel web spider! That hawk moth looks amazing! Those wings! :-o

The Saucy in my living room is a female spider, because she's got a big abdomen and she's smart. (You can tell the gender of any creature this way: if it's smart, it's female.) I believe she is this species.

Sadly, I extinguished the life of a spider today while going through my front door. A wolf spider was hanging out on my porch, and I tried to shoo it aside. Instead of running, the sucker tried to run up my leg and...well , you can guess what happened next. At least I tried!

I wouldn't mind seeing the funnel weaver spotlight next, followed the water strider, O Bugmaster.

right but Im looking at this from an evolutionary standpoint. Homo Sapiens evolved from less intelligent species that would have required a built in mechanism to keep them away. Some more instinctual or a passed down behavioral conditioning that kept them away. A yeah most bugs are harmless but then we're talking about a group of primates that arouse from ethiopia. I may be very wrong, im no expert, but I was under the impression that insects are a much bigger problem in africa. :/

Actually... You have it around backwards. We wouldn't have made some advancements without insects. Insects tend to fascinate more than deter, and yes, that has lead to unfortunate circumstances (like finding out that [insert poisonous insect here] was lethal to humans). However, we wouldn't have silk if it not for our arachnid and silk worm brothers (mostly silk worms, as I have noted, we are far from decoding the spider's silk making system, but when we do, silk will be FAR more versatile and useful than it is now). Then you have the cultures that figured out that ants and cockroaches are edible and provided an extremely high nutritional value for their small size. Then you have the various insects that were studied and mimicked for various reasons. Then you have leech therapy, which was the first method of blood purification. Then you have maggot therapy for injuries as maggots only eat dead flesh, which aids in healing (both of these are still used today btw, but mostly in areas of the world where there are less advanced methods to do the same, well except maggots, as that is very efficient and completely safe for the patient). Then you have bees. I don't think I need to explain this, people have been keeping bees for centuries if not over a millenia or more. Humans, and their intelligence and curiosity of the world around them has lead to advancements. Not fear, but rather lack of fear and curiosity and ambition. If we feared bugs, then we would not have honey, or silk. We would lack many things without bug interaction. And that actually includes advances in Mendelian Genetics through the study of mutations in fruit flies.

Also... About Africa and the Mediterranean area of Europe... One insect in particular did pose a problem. The mosquito, which carried Malaria. But you know what? It didn't bother the human race for long because our bodies mutated and developed sickle cell anemia, which when only affecting one allele acts as an defense against malaria. Unfortunately both alleles having sickle cell is lethal... However the insects in Africa aren't so bad, its mostly ants and mosquitoes, both of which are manageable. People are adaptable, that is why we survive, not through fear.

I second the funnel web spider! That hawk moth looks amazing! Those wings! :-o

The Saucy in my living room is a female spider, because she's got a big abdomen and she's smart. (You can tell the gender of any creature this way: if it's smart, it's female.) I believe she is this species.

Sadly, I extinguished the life of a spider today while going through my front door. A wolf spider was hanging out on my porch, and It tried to shoo it aside. Instead of running, the sucker tried to run up my leg and...well , you can guess what happened next. At least I tried!

I wouldn't mind seeing the funnel weaver spotlight next, followed the water strider, O Bugmaster.

I can hardly blame anyone for killing a spider that ran up their leg. Even I would panic a bit if a big enough bug jumped on me suddenly. Granted, I would try to brush it off without harming it, but even then I might accidentally hurt it in the rush. I'd like to ask, have you tried feeding Saucy? If you don't mind picking up a some small bug like a cricket, or causing it's death at that, I'm pretty saucy will apreciate the gesture readily run out to wrap her new meal in silk if you toss it in her web. I've done it before on wild spiders and it's a pretty cool thing to watch!