Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Did you mention pollination, Swirly? Our lives would not be possible without it!

Bugmaster Stonetribe! For your dedication to insects, for sharing your boundless knowledge with us, for raising awareness, and for inspiring passion and discussion, I made you a siggy! I hope you like it!

lWQoN.png

• Like 1

Pardon the double post. Nope, I haven't fed Saucy -- she seems to be doing a pretty good job feeding herself! In fact, a male tried to court her and it ended very badly, so he got a silk sleeping bag! (Or it could have been a spider of another species that got too close.)

Goshdarn those Hawk Moths are so cool. 30mph is impressive by itself, but they hover too? Those are some pretty epic wings. More spiders? I physically cringed when I saw that photo of the bird eating tarantula. I do not play well with spiders. They can be pretty cool though if they stay on my screen, and not in my room.

Did you mention pollination, Swirly? Our lives would not be possible without it!

Bugmaster Stonetribe! For your dedication to insects, for sharing your boundless knowledge with us, for raising awareness, and for inspiring passion and discussion, I made you a siggy! I hope you like it!

lWQoN.png

Omigosh that is awsome! Thank you so much Rosewind! Because of this, I'm going to get started on the water strider update right away!

A special thanks to all of you guys really, for all the support and participation you have provided for me and my love of bugs. Oh gosh, I'm actualy tearing up a little. :sad:

Courtesy of request by Rosewind, the Water Strider!

water_strider_gerrid_joel.jpg

Water Striders can be found just about anywhere in the world in any freshwater habitat. Marine species of Water Striders also exist, albeit less common. This usually consists of still water ponds and lakes but can aslo include slow moving streams. The thing that sets these insects apart from others is their almost trademark ability to walk on the surface of water, giving them the nickname "Jesus Bugs". They can easily be identified, aside from walking on water in the first place, by their four long legs spaced evenly throughout the water as well as an additional pair of legs that sport claws that help them manipulate objects.

These unique insects are able to walk on water thanks to a combination of two factors. The first is their long slender legs that have tons of hydrofuge hairs that use water surface tension to the Striders advantage. Each leg boost thousands of hairs per square millimeter. The second is the that they space their legs just so to distribute weight evenly. Their legs may be thin, but are strong as well as flexible. This enables the Water Strider to push backwords with its hind legs and "skate" across the waters surface. Now here's where I drop the bomb.

Water striders are strictly carnivorous predators.

I assume your reaction was something along the lines of "Wait, wait, WHAT!? How could something as cute and whimiscal as the Water Strider able to kill and eat any other sort of creature?!" Mine certainly was when I first found this fact out. But yes, instead of being herbivores or at least omnivores, Water Striders are in fact meat eaters. They will prey on any insect that has fallen onto the watersurface. Seeing as most other insects can't swim, they can do little to put up a fight againts anything that wants to make a meal out of them. Water Striders are easily notified of potential meals due to the inevitable ripples a struggling insect or spider will make. After dashing torwards their prey, they will grip them with their claw like forearms (The objects they manipulate that I mentioned above are prey by the way) and stab the victim with a pierceing mout part called a rostrum to suck up the inards. Water striders aren't greedy however, and will share the bounty with any other nearby Striders. Speaking of which, Water Striders are also known to be social creatures, forming packs to easier obtain nutrition or shelter. At other times, specificly the mating season, they can be territorial, making their turf known by sending out certain ripples that other Striders can understand. males will defend their territory as well as their female from other Striders.

Hope it met your expectations Rosie! Next up is the Funnel Web Spider.

• Like 1

I learned something new! I have a soft spot for water striders -- they're kind of cute! Especially baby ones. I had no idea they were carnivorous though, and that they were also territorial with mates. That has got to be hilarious to watch! I just did a little of my own research and found that female water striders avoid ...well... jerk male water striders. Whodathunkit? Check it out!

Thank you, O Bugmaster!

Three pages since I last visited ? Wow !

And thank you Stonetribe ! You're really awesome. I could listen to you (or read you) ramble about bugs for hours. :D

Very interesting! I had never really examined one closely but on seeing that picture I must say it did look like something more aggressive to me. :/ IDK maybe Ive played too many video games but anything with especially long legs and with some sort of special ability ie walking on water is usually bad for the surrounding creatures at least in my head. Now I have this image of a giant water strider throwing an ice berg at the titanic... like I said WAY to many video games. Still fantastic spotlight as always Bugmaster! I believe cone spiders were next up?

Very interesting! I had never really examined one closely but on seeing that picture I must say it did look like something more aggressive to me. :/ IDK maybe Ive played too many video games but anything with especially long legs and with some sort of special ability ie walking on water is usually bad for the surrounding creatures at least in my head. Now I have this image of a giant water strider throwing an ice berg at the titanic... like I said WAY to many video games. Still fantastic spotlight as always Bugmaster! I believe cone spiders were next up?

Funnel Web Spiders, yes. Nothing to worry about water striders though, as they are harmless to humans. Infact, they are very helpful as they eat lots of moisquitos and moisquito larva.

I don't know, Water Striders were enemies in Super Mario 64, or at least giant water skating bugs were. :geek: Another great spotlight. I've always wondered about those pond skaters, but I never knew they ate other bugs. They always seem so peaceful and serene. Glad they kill mozzys though. If there's any bug that I'm always going to hate, it's them. I'm just glad I live in England so there aren't as many over here. If I lived anywhere hotter... :green:

As request by Winter, here is a spotlight on a Funnel Webs as a group. I'm focusing more on the small common ones and less on the larger exotic ones. Hope no one minds.

funnel-web-spider05.jpg

These spiders are can be found world wide. Their size can be from about as big as a penny up to about 2 inches including legspan. Their most well known for their uniqe web structures, that are often shaped like into a cone/tunnel fashion. They prefer to construct these dwellings in under logs or rocks and other places that might be a tad cooler and damp. This functions more like a shelter rather then as a trap to catch prey. This is because their silk lacks the sticky atribute of other web dwelling arachnids. But this doesn't mean it won't assist in bringing food to the table though. The web itself will be splayed out on the ground near its entrence. Any insects that tread on this "welcome mat" will cause vibrations that will alert the spider. When a suitable meal is detected, they will rush out to subdue their victim with a venomous bite. Species of funnel web spiders are known for their surprisingly fast speed which can match that of a slow pedestrian walk (thanks wikipedia!) They are also a tad renowned for their venom, as it is a bit on the potent side among spiders.

There you go Winter, hope you liked it!

I promised myself earlier today that I wouldn't do this but, screw it, I've gained some popularity here by god I'm gonna abuse it! I'm working on a mlp fanfic and I would love to have your guys imput! I'm not writing any chapters now cause I'm having a few friends of mine peer edit it to see if I can't get it featured on Equestria Daily. I suppose I should give you a heads up, it's about OC's. You guys have been so supportive of me and my bug thread, so I hope it's not too much to ask you place a little of that support in my writing endevours. :halo:

Here's a link.

http://www.fimfictio...e-(not-so)-Wild

• Like 1

I shall love you a long time now <3 Not that I didn't already... hmph... I shall *continue* to love you for a long time now :D I'll check out that little writing endeavor of yours as well, of course!

I once had a funnel web spider as a pet. She grew from about penny size to about quarter size before she died. I fed her little crickets and I was always fascinated by the huge webs she made! I had her for a little over a year, which isn't bad for a spider, eh?

I loved the ending to your third chapter, I just want to throw that out there now. It was very well worded and involved a spider!

I'll admit it: when I was a little filly, I used to mess with funnel web spiders by dropping objects into their web to watch them rush out and be like "aww, it's a leaf."

Wonderful spotlight, Bugmaster! Also you have a knack for writing, it seems! Very nice! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Do you need a rest from spotlights? I have a lot of more insects I'd love to see you talk about!

ha ha ha you're not the only one Rose. I used drop bugs and feed my "pet" spiders whenever I got the chance, but I didn't just feed Funnel weps but a whole array of spiders who lived around my home. I've always loved spiders the're such fasinating creatures to me.

Took a gander at your story and shared what little I've learned from my own terrible fics. Good job so far it's looking nice. EQD are perfectionists when it comes to grammar, Don't let it put you down that they rejected your fic.

Another fantastic spotlight. I've never actually seen a Funnel Web spider, so I assume that they don't live in England. I remember reading once bout spiders that throw their webs like nets. Do you know anything about them?

Oh Bugmaster Stoney wouldst thou mind doing a spotlight on house centipedes? Ya know the ones with the really long legs? I hate those little buggers. First encounter was when a big one fell off the ceiling in my advanced geology class and landed on my head. Ruined me for them ever since. Now they are in my house and multiplying. I wanna know more so I can be sure this isnt going to be an issue. Found one in my shower this morning...gross. I will admit its mesmerizing to watch them walk though with all those spindly legs moving in time. So yeah maybe a spotlight on house centipedes please?

Centipedes arn't friendly little critters. As long as you keep your distance and don't bother them they yor're good. Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can cause induceanaphylic shock in such people

While I really do appreciate the initiative you took to answer my question Fireheart, this is Stoney's thread and I was specifically asking him. Thanks though, the information was helpful :) think I could still get that spotlight though stoney?

For those who did, thanks a bunch for checking out my story! It seems like you guys liked it for the most part, so that put me in high spirits today.

I'll admit it: when I was a little filly, I used to mess with funnel web spiders by dropping objects into their web to watch them rush out and be like "aww, it's a leaf."

Wonderful spotlight, Bugmaster! Also you have a knack for writing, it seems! Very nice! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Do you need a rest from spotlights? I have a lot of more insects I'd love to see you talk about!

Now that you mention it, I do feel like I have been producing them rather frequently. It's probably just me, but I feel that this tends to make them of lower quality when I make more than two per day. I'm definitly not going to stop, but I think I will slow down just a tad. I acutaully have a funnel web in my room next to my windowsill. I've decided to name it Winter since he requested the spotlight for them. I even fed him an ant yesterday, which he gladly took.

Oh Bugmaster Stoney wouldst thou mind doing a spotlight on house centipedes? Ya know the ones with the really long legs? I hate those little buggers. First encounter was when a big one fell off the ceiling in my advanced geology class and landed on my head. Ruined me for them ever since. Now they are in my house and multiplying. I wanna know more so I can be sure this isnt going to be an issue. Found one in my shower this morning...gross. I will admit its mesmerizing to watch them walk though with all those spindly legs moving in time. So yeah maybe a spotlight on house centipedes please?

I'd be glad to do a highlight on house centipedes. But like I said before, I think I'll take a bit more time before I post it.

Rosie you are just so kind to people :) Making him a siggy :P

I know, isn't she the best?

OH OH OH! We are getting her to blush! Let's continue! I mean she made my awesome siggy too! Rosie is totally awesome!

Also, to be on topic, I'd like to request the bombardier beetle! Has to be the possessor of one of the coolest defense mechanisms EVER!

Edit: my request is not of high priority, so feel free to take your time with it ;)

OH OH OH! We are getting her to blush! Let's continue! I mean she made my awesome siggy too! Rosie is totally awesome!

Also, to be on topic, I'd like to request the bombardier beetle! Has to be the possessor of one of the coolest defense mechanisms EVER!

Edit: my request is not of high priority, so feel free to take your time with it ;-)

The bombardier beetle is actually one of my favorites! I'll gladly do a highlight on them. Until then, if anyone asks what that certain defense is, be a pal and don't spoil it.