A year of Events

weesh

I am making a presentation in a few days to some kids who range from 1st through 6th grade, and the goal is to show the impact of the last year from May 2011 to May 2012. What world events, good and bad, of this year will be remembered a decade or more from now? I only have 15 minutes to both present the events as well as engage them in discussion over the events, so it will be pretty low key. I will be doing my own research and collecting the suggestions in this first post.

What was significant to you?

Events of the last year:

May 2011 - Osama Bin Laden Killed

July 2011 - South Sudan Gains Independance

July 2011 - Ending of the NASA space shuttle program

Sept 2011 - Occupy Wall Street Movement begins

October 2011 - World Population Reaches 7 billion

October 2011 - Tunisia holds first vote in an Arab spring country that toppled its dictator

December 2011 - Weesh discovers My Little Pony

And to be clear, I am looking for 2012 events as well, but haven't found any of interest yet.

I like your list. It's interesting to see what you chose : in mine I would have put the arab "spring" starting in Tunisia in january, instead of the elections in october, for example.

Also, no Fukushima ?

And for fun, wikipedia's 2011 list : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011

I like your list. It's interesting to see what you chose : in mine I would have put the arab "spring" starting in Tunisia in january, instead of the elections in october, for example.

Also, no Fukushima ?

And for fun, wikipedia's 2011 list : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011

I'm not doing 2011 so much as I am doing a year ago from today. So I considered Fukushima, but it is older than that. Also, a pony was added.