Thinking of starting an RP, but would like some clarification first

Anyone reading the title of this post is probably scratching their heads wondering what I'm talking about, so to explain, let me begin with the story of how I got banned from the RP section of another forum.

I'm a fairly experienced RPer, since I've been doing it since I was in kindergarten, and I'd decided to host an RP on a forum that I was active on, yet had never RPed on before. At the time, most of my online RPing experince had come from a single website where I was currently a GM for a few RPs. My RPs (I had been invited to GM 2 RPs and had started one myself) were fairly popular (one had over twenty people!) and I'd been complimented on my hands on GM style. I would respond to most action posts with an explanation of the outcome of the action the RPer took (for example, if someone fired a cannon, I'd say weather or not it missed, how much destruction it caused, stuff like that). People there liked the sense of realism my posts provided, and they also liked the difficulty when it came to fights, since no-one could simply say "I shoot the monster in the head with a magic gun I conjure out of nowhere. It dies.". So, with my background in RPs I thought that I was sure to make a good RP and have some fun. However, as soon as the RP on the other forum started, eveyone playing it started complaining about 'godmodding', a term I'd never heard before. It turns out that they WANTED to be able to dictate the results of their actions, even in what were supposed to be important plot points where a certaint outcome was necessary to the progression of the story. After a short while a mod actually banned me, saying that 'godmodding' was against the official rules. I went to an admin and pointed out that NOWHERE in the rules was 'godmodding' even mentioned, and I got unbanned very quickly. However, while 'godmodding' might not have been an official rule, it was certaintly an unofficial one, and no-one on that site wanted to RP with me after that.

That's why I'm writing this post, since I REALLY don't want a repeat of that fiasco. As a GM of my own RP would I be allowed to basically be, oh, I don't know, the Master of the Game, or would I be constrained to simply being a RPer who has the ability to create NPCs. Also, if there are any unofficial rules / guidelines to which I should conform, it would also be nice to hear about those too. Thank you!

This sounds like something perfectly acceptable and fun for the Free Roleplay area. Since it only pertains to YOUR personal Roleplay, you CAN decide the rules. The OP (Original Poster) of a topic has the option to set standards/rules for their Roleplay. These are things like post length, type of creatures (pony or any), location, storyline, etc.

As for unofficial rules and guides, we basically say use common sense. Love, tolerate, and respect everyone, and listen to the staff. Pretty much the only real rules for the Free Roleplay area are no sex and no gore (in addition to the regular site wide rules). Any rules specific to your own Roleplay are up to you. If people don't like your rules, they don't have to join your Roleplay. Simple.

There is currently a long standing Roleplay going on, yours sounds similar to. It seems to be run somewhat DnD style, but I haven't been following Ponies & Dragons closely, nor have I ever actually played DnD.