Ponies & Dragons: Rules and Inquiries

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it necroing the thread if it's been almost three weeks and I have no idea what's actually going on in the RP?

Because this is relevant to my interests. Kirby and I somehow got to talking about this over Steam one night and now I want in.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, be also aware of the OOC conversation thread here:

and the 'what's going on in the thread' can be found here:

For a brief summary: The team met, fought some bandits, dragged them off to Canterlot for sentencing, the Princesses pardoned them, and assigned the team to go find the evil wizard who had been leading them. They made plans, which got completely tanked when Luna sent a carriage for them that brought them to the one place they didn't even THINK of going to ... so they said hi to the ponies in the frozen north who were relations of the bandits, and right now I'm waiting for Starburst to answer Bramble's question so that we can start off into the forest for some ADVENTURE TIME!

Ha-ha ! I can identify all of them. But man, linking to tvtropes violates some geneva conventions... I lost HOURS.

I'm glad I could ruin your day! Seriously though, I find it strangely comforting how I can sum up a character with just a few short articles discussing them. I'm tempted to trope out the campaign!

• 1 month later...

Okay, so, I expressed interest in joining earlier, and I'm still interested. I'll catch up on the story in a minute, and we can figure out how to get me into the story later, but as of right now, what should I be doing in terms of character creation? I can make my history and other stuff on my own, but the opening post with Starburst's rules for character creation says that she was going to roll stats for the characters. Considering Starburst's AWOL at the moment, should I roll stats for myself (I can post screen caps of my rolls with the d20srd dice bag if you need me to) or will Bramble be doing that, considering he's the new DM?

Also, I'm making the assumption that the normal weapons still exist, but are often unused because no hands. I bring this up because I considered making a griffon character, and they, having hand-like appendages, would theoretically make and wield, say, a longsword.

Also also, are there any specific classes that are banned/frowned upon? My DM has a couple of classes he really doesn't like and outright bans us from playing them, and I want to make sure that you guys are cool with stuff before I make, say, a Monk (one of the banned classes). I won't pull anything super-obscure (Swordsage, Psions, etc), most likely only the things on the SRD, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes if I pull a class/build that you guys don't like (see: Barbarian with a Large Greatsword using Power Attack and Rage having +10 to damage before the 3d6 were even rolled. At level 2. True story. And was one of the builds I considered making for this game).

You can quite easily use a sword in your mouth, as a pony. Pip was doing so with his rubber sword, and if you want a visual element, go watch some One Piece youtube videos after typing in "Zoro vs."

The barbarian seems totally applicable to the area in which you're in ... which is a barbarian sort of an area. I do not mind a bit of minmaxing as long as you have a solid concept to back it up.

Rolling dice ... um...

wow. 12 11 11 12 12 8. That qualifies under the rules for a re-roll, as it doesn't hit the minimum combined bonus.

Second set! 14 12 18 18 12 8

Wow, two 18's. And an 8. Not bad! Use that one.

Apologies for the lack of a character, but I've hit a bit of a snag in creating my character.

Specifically, regarding unarmed combat. We covered that rather well in the OP regarding pony characters, but not so much with Griffins. Namely, the damage, and what exactly "unarmed" constitutes as for a Gryphon.

Normally, in the Monster Manual, Gryphon talons do 1d6+Str mod, and "natural weapons" such as claws, bites, and so on do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity. Are we keeping it as that, or changing it to the "normal" unarmed damage of a Large character (1d4+Str), seeing as Gryphons are considered large for our purposes. Similarly, would taking Improved Unarmed Strike still be required to attack with talons and not provoke an attack of opportunity, if indeed we are worrying about AoOs at all?

None of this is critically important, I would just like to know so I can have the proper numbers, feats and general clarity for this character and other future characters should we ever use this rule-set again.

Where are the 18s when I'm rolling! Geez!

The number Gods hate you. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, could a thing like the hoofguards for ponies exist for the Gryphons? Like, claw-blade-gauntlet things?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I bump this because it IS an Inquiry about rules. Prepping the inevitable level 6. Here's a prototype with reworked Skills, Feats, Saves, Bonuses. No Magic yet, as I'm still picking those out but yeah. Also, I didn't do HP yet. Pretty sure I'm rolling for those. Let me know where exactly I messed up.

• Class: Rogue 4/Bard 2
    STR: 09 -1
    DEX: 16 +3
    CON: 10 +0
    INT: 13 +1
    WIS: 12 +1
    CHA: 12 +1
    HP: 32
    AC: 9=5(Armor Bonus)+1(Shield Bonus)+3(Dex)
    DR: 0/ +0
    SPELL RESIST: 0
    SPEED: 40
    INIT: +3
    Fort Save.....1=1(Base)+0(Con)
    Reflex Save...10=7(Base)+3(Dex)
    Will Save.....5=4(Base)+1(Wis)
    Base Attack Bonus 4
  • Acrobatics 4...................(Dex)+3=7
  • Bluff 6..................(Cha)+1+2+2+1=12
  • Escape Artist 4..............(Dex)+3=7
  • Disable Device 4...........(Dex)+3=7
  • Disguise 6................(Cha)+1+2=9
  • Perception 5..................(Wis)+1=6
  • Sleight of Hand 4..........(Dex)+3=7
  • Stealth 5.......................(Dex)+3=8
  • Sense Motive 4.............(Wis)+1=5
  • Perform (Sing)5.......... (Cha)+1=6
  • Use Magic Device 3. . .(Cha)+1=4

ABILITIES:

Cutie Mark: +2 to Skill check: Bluff

Rogue Talent: Finesse Rogue

Rogue Talent: Honeyed Words

Trapfinding

Evasion

Sneak Attack +2D6

Trap Sense

Uncanny Dodge

Master of Deception

Bardic Performance

Cantrips

Countersong

Distraction

Fascinate

Stealspell

Sneakspell

Well-versed

Feats

Dodge, Deceitful, Mobility, Horn Slice

Spells

Cantrips: Prestidigitation/Ghost Sound/Dancing Lights/Unwitting Ally/Lullaby.

Level 1: Charm Person/Grease/Vanish

New edits! All of them Bluff related. I finally settled on spells, Rogue Talents, my final score on Bluff (which is an even dozen). I think I'm done and ready for Mythic stuff.

Archived