Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread

If you go by the Japanese games, Mecha Sonic appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog (Gamegear), Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic & Knuckles. In the North American Version, the robot Sonic that appears in the first two is known as Silver Sonic instead.

Huh, didn't know that though thinking back it kinda makes sense (I remember them having similar spin dash attacks).

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I also hope they give us a blue sphere emerald stage the future episode 3!

and hope that they don't make the last stage as difficult as the episode 2 one ;-;

Probably a fair assumption that they'll have it since ep 2 had the sonic 2 special stages and I think ep 1 had the sonic 1 special stages. :geek:

Am I the only one slightly disappointed with how much...easier they made the revamped special stages in Sonic 4? In Episode 1 they give you directional arrows much more frequently and you can actively control how the zone spins. In Episode 2, they gave you the tether with Tails and Sonic doesn't lose rings for hitting bombs.

After derping about Sonic Adventure, I noticed I never followed on this topic... SHAME!!

Games, I got something, let me check... (just talking of Originals, so, no piracy)

Game Gear:

Sonic

Sonic 2

Sonic Triple Trouble (weird that the cover featured SATAM Robotnik)

Tails Adventure (beaten it 100% on a set of batteries)

Master System

Sonic The Hedgehog.

Mega Drive Genesis.

Sonic

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

S&K

Sonic Spinball

Saturn:

Sonic Jam

Sonic R

Sadly, Saturn lacked a proper Sonic game.

Dreamcast.

Sonic adventure, the original supposedly bug ridden version (supposedly 'cause even today I must find a bug)

Sonic Adventure 2 (Japanese launch day release)

I miss the days when sonic didn't talk, and contreived, melodramatic and altogether hackneyed plotlines didn't bog down what had once-upon-a-time been a challenging, entertaining series. Or when there were only a handful of characters, rather than dozens upon dozens of increasingly-grating flat, uninteresting characters that apparently needed to be given screentime.

Those were better days for that blue hedgehog.

I miss the days when sonic didn't talk, and contreived, melodramatic and altogether hackneyed plotlines didn't bog down what had once-upon-a-time been a challenging, entertaining series. Or when there were only a handful of characters, rather than dozens upon dozens of increasingly-grating flat, uninteresting characters that apparently needed to be given screentime.

Those were better days for that blue hedgehog.

Challenging...not so much. Most of the old school games are cake walks. The appeal of the older games was that movement was fast and fluid, and rarely did you ever have to stop for more than a brief moment and think about your next move. Also, as far as uninteresting characters in the early Sonic games go...

TeamChaotixnew.jpg371287-mighty_armadillo.jpgNack.jpg

...we've always had them. The newer characters just seem boring and uninteresting because we didn't grow up with them. Heck, personally I like Shadow and Silver...much moreso than Nack at the very least. x_x

Also, lets do us all a favor and try to avoid any discussion on the quality of the old games compared to the new games.

Yeah, I'm going to stop you guys right there. It would be the worst if this thread turned into yet another a flame about which sonic games were good and which ones weren't. Let's just talk about what sonic games we enjoyed and why. Love and tolerence people! :D

Yeah, I'm going to stop you guys right there. It would be the worst if this thread turned into yet another a flame about which sonic games were good and which ones weren't. Let's just talk about what sonic games we enjoyed and why. Love and tolerence people! :D

Yes, because everyone knows that sonic 3+ sonic and knuckles is the undisputed best sonic game ever.

I don't see the problem with a healthy debate about the quality of Sonic games presented over the past two decades. I think anything after Sonic and Knuckles/Chaotix didn't rise to meet the quality of what constitutes an original Sonic game.

What makes a good Sonic game? I remember playing SA1 and 2 on the Dreamcast and enjoying them, but did they age well? Would I enjoy them again in the same way? I remember trying to play the GC port of SA1 and hating it, even though I was entranced by the Dreamcast SA1.

The trend I do like was the recent re-release of Sonic CD across multiple platforms. It's a great game, Sega did a wonderful job porting it with an overhauled/tweaked engine, and included anything a fan could want, including content that expanded it as more than just a port, including both OSTs and the option to play as Tails.

Then we have stuff like this:

The game is broken with loading times, and it was still released. Why can't there be unrest with the franchise?

A friend of mine is really into retro gaming, and I got a chance to play Sonic adventure (three, I think) at his house. I was Tails, and dear god, the teleporting. The screen only followed HIM, and he moved like three times as fast as me. Whenever I was off screen (98% of the time), I would slowly fly back in and I didn't get control back until I hit the ground.

A friend of mine is really into retro gaming, and I got a chance to play Sonic adventure (three, I think) at his house. I was Tails, and dear god, the teleporting. The screen only followed HIM, and he moved like three times as fast as me. Whenever I was off screen (98% of the time), I would slowly fly back in and I didn't get control back until I hit the ground.

Kinda reminds me of the Sonic 2 minigame that started whenever Tails died. It's called "How far can I run without letting Tails land?" T'was fun. :D

Kinda reminds me of the Sonic 2 minigame that started whenever Tails died. It's called "How far can I run without letting Tails land?" T'was fun. :D

I love doing that! I think I once got tails to stay in the air till the end of the first act of emerald hill lol.

Obviously in Sonic 2 tails never got tired... I loved to fool the AI and slay the two tailed freak down a bottomless pit or getting it drown...

Talking of drowning : drowning in Dreamcast era was a bit... Harsh, the caracter´s eyes going white and floating back up the surface like Dan Aikroid in "Police Squad"

P.S. Anypony even managed to drive Sonic down Windy Valley without bumping on the walls? Because, my experience on 3D Sonic games is just that, like on "Hey you played Sonic Adventure? -Yes, you hit walls!"

• 3 weeks later...
P.S. Anypony even managed to drive Sonic down Windy Valley without bumping on the walls? Because, my experience on 3D Sonic games is just that, like on "Hey you played Sonic Adventure? -Yes, you hit walls!"

Doing that is literally impossible XD I've gone down windy valley so many times and I ALWAYS hit the walls..

I don't see the problem with a healthy debate about the quality of Sonic games presented over the past two decades. I think anything after Sonic and Knuckles/Chaotix didn't rise to meet the quality of what constitutes an original Sonic game.

What makes a good Sonic game? I remember playing SA1 and 2 on the Dreamcast and enjoying them, but did they age well? Would I enjoy them again in the same way? I remember trying to play the GC port of SA1 and hating it, even though I was entranced by the Dreamcast SA1.

The trend I do like was the recent re-release of Sonic CD across multiple platforms. It's a great game, Sega did a wonderful job porting it with an overhauled/tweaked engine, and included anything a fan could want, including content that expanded it as more than just a port, including both OSTs and the option to play as Tails.

Then we have stuff like this:

The game is broken with loading times, and it was still released. Why can't there be unrest with the franchise?

I don't know how I played through that game twice. Crisis City superspeed stage was the worst, because if you jump to avoid debris, you have the risk of falling off the stage. If you don't jump, you take damage. If you take damage, you will either take damage again and die or jump and risk falling off the stage. Plus if you lose all your lives you have to start from the beginning, which could take hours because of load times. Oh yeah one more thing: if you install it to your hard drive on 360, loading time is reduced from 15 seconds to 13 seconds.

Out of nostalgic masochism, I picked up Sonic Adventure today to give it its first play since...a long time ago. It did not age well. I never realized how janky the camera was. The game play itself is still fun, but...eh. I had better memories of Sonic Adventure 2, which -- as we all know -- is getting an HD update and coming out this Fall.

Ironkau -- you are amazingly patient. I don't think I could bother with that.

Out of nostalgic masochism, I picked up Sonic Adventure today to give it its first play since...a long time ago. It did not age well. I never realized how janky the camera was. The game play itself is still fun, but...eh. I had better memories of Sonic Adventure 2, which -- as we all know -- is getting an HD update and coming out this Fall.

Ironkau -- you are amazingly patient. I don't think I could bother with that.

Yay! Now all I needs is some munnies to pay for all these games coming out this fall. >.< I don't think I could ever play through STH06 again unless it was on coop with my friend.

My brother bought me sonic cd on steam yesterday for my 18th birthday. I haven't played it enough to give a solid opinion, but so far it's shaping up to be just as good as any other genesis title and the time travel mechanic is proving very interesting.

My brother bought me sonic cd on steam yesterday for my 18th birthday. I haven't played it enough to give a solid opinion, but so far it's shaping up to be just as good as any other genesis title and the time travel mechanic is proving very interesting.

Sonic CD (US) has some of the greatest music tracks in any StH game I've ever played. Collision Chaos / Collision Chaos Future, Stardust Speedway Future, Little Planet, and Sonic Boom are all particularly amazing.

Another Sonic fan here; well, kinda at any rate. Haven't really played any of the newer games past Sonic Adventure 1 simply because I dropped out of console gaming in the 2000s. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of the classic games and the spin-off material. I still have my old-school Sonic and Tails dolls lying around my house somewhere... :P

I don't know how I played through that game twice. Crisis City superspeed stage was the worst, because if you jump to avoid debris, you have the risk of falling off the stage. If you don't jump, you take damage. If you take damage, you will either take damage again and die or jump and risk falling off the stage. Plus if you lose all your lives you have to start from the beginning, which could take hours because of load times. Oh yeah one more thing: if you install it to your hard drive on 360, loading time is reduced from 15 seconds to 13 seconds.

Was one of those a 100% run or am I the only one crazy enough to do that in this thread? :mad:

I actually really liked the superspeed crisis city as it showed off what the capabilities of the games graphics were, what with cars exploding into pieces as you outrun a tornado of flamey doom. That is until I tried to do anything beyond just finishing the stage, barely being able to control your character while zooming along on a strip of road with an endless supply of cars being tossed at you which explode into debris all of which can take ALL of your rings if they hit you (though for some debris it has to hit you just right) kinda gets annoying when trying to S rank or just get the stupid silver medals. The only more annoying S rank stage in that game would be Silvers Dusty Desert level. :evil:

The Sonic 06 loading screens never bothered me. nor did the glitches ( mainly because I didn't run into many of them )

I feel the glitches issue has been exagerated a bit with 06, some are even helpful like being able to homing attack onto a runnable wall with Sonic. The only really annoying one I encountered was when standing on the top edge of buildings (necessary for some missions) you're character switches between the two sides of the edge, though it was kinda funny to watch. The loading screens didn't bother me either, but when combined with the questionable design decisions around restarting the levels and missions I can see why they can be annoying.

Another Sonic fan here; well, kinda at any rate. Haven't really played any of the newer games past Sonic Adventure 1 simply because I dropped out of console gaming in the 2000s. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of the classic games and the spin-off material. I still have my old-school Sonic and Tails dolls lying around my house somewhere... :P

Welcome to the thread! Pull up a chair, grab some rings and stay a while. :geek:

Archived