[Sweet Apple Acres]Kept Under Her Hat (Applejack/Apple Bloom)

Hippo

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

It'll be alright, Applejack thought, she'll be back before dinner is ready, I know it! Just moments before, Applejack had seen lightning flash outside the kitchen window from inside the barn house. It immediately sparked the interest of Apple Bloom's whereabouts. But soon after, Applejack knew that Apple Bloom would never sacrifice herself to the elements of pegasus weather power for too long, and she would come back, without a cold, and with some amazing story about how she almost received her cutie mark.

Applejack, without her hat, was busy preparing supper. It was light, as the two sisters were the only ones still up at this hour. Granny had turned in early at her usual hours, arched on her chair in the living room. Big Mac was upstairs minding his own rest, after he spent an entire day tilling the carrot sections double time because of the scheduled rain that would come that evening. The meal was simple, just a warmed up apple loaf, half of which was leftover apples from the afternoon's apple pies. With nothing else to attend to, Applejack rested her hoof on the oven ready to pull out the loaf the moment the egg timer reached its climax. And she expected a drenched Apple Bloom to walk into the barn at any moment.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

It had seemed like such a good idea at the time, Apple Bloom remembered. How couldn't it be? The day had looked absolutely beautiful, the sun striking Equestria with loving rays from the Crystal Empire to Fillydelphia and all points in between. School had gone by in a flash and everypony had seemed restless, Apple Bloom most of all. She had so much energy just waiting to be used, to be harnessed by whatever endeavor she could force herself into. Whether she was a nuisance or a joy, an asset or liability, it was all up to perspective because above all other things she was a little filly Apple and they were always predisposed to enormous activity. Using them to further your cause was better than trying to stem the overwhelming tide, and Apple Bloom had felt especially energetic and lively that day as she had nearly galloped home, wondering all the while what awaited her.

But when she had arrived home, her energy was momentarily stifled. No chores for her, seeing as her family knew just how to explot her boundless nature. Nothing beyond the usual. She searched for her siblings to get a task, but wherever they had been hadn't been within range of the impatient filly's brief search. It hadn't helped that Granny Smith was still napping, the concept of which drove any particularly animated filly absolutely nuts. No, she had nothing, no tasks. And in the absence of any direction she had decided she would be the master of her own fate and find something to do. A trip throughout the house gathering supplies as she drew together in the boiling madhouse that was her brain somehow brought her to Applejack's room for rope. Rope was always useful in an adventure, and if Applejack had seen Apple Bloom do what she was planning on doing she'd want her to bring the rope. It was a prudent move.

She was about ready to leave when she spotted something that had no right just sitting there, unused and no longer braving the elements. Applejack's hat, an old, rugged stetson that looked more natural on her than her own mane did, sat on her bedpost lamely. Why had Applejack decided not to wear it? It didn't make sense. She loved that hat, had it forever! She had never really told Apple Bloom how she had received it, but it had been there as long as Apple Bloom, maybe longer. Probably longer. It felt so strange NOT seeing it on Applejack, or indeed any Apple. Obviously Applejack had forgot. Or maybe it was a sign- Apple Bloom was sort'fa big believer in signs, as she reckoned most Apples were at times when it concerned family traditions or customs. And, perhaps most importantly to a filly about to undertake a big adventure in the Everfree, it looked super cool as she took it from it's perch and laid it on her head. A bit big perhaps, but she wasn't planning on anything dangerous. Just fun in the Everfree. If she ran into Applejack, she'd just hoof the hat over and act like it was part of the plan. If not, she got to be a big pony in more than belief for an hour or so. Win-win. Plus hates like adventures. Win-win-win.

It had seemed like such a good idea at the time.

She vowed to never have an idea ever again.

Apple Bloom went from a panicked, tired gallop to a deadbeat trot and finally a dragging canter as she approached the front steps, bleary eyed and shocked. Her breaths came in fits and spurts as her heart started to slacken from it's jackhammer beating to a slower, more methodical, drive that came with an equal decrease in adrenaline. She stumbled over the first step as her body started to cool down from the absolute terror that had gripped her in the past few hours. Her legs still shook like leaves in a storm and her eyes were wide and alert, but she was alive and mostly unharmed. She felt everything was going to be okay, even as she considered never leaving the farm for anything ever again, but stopped as she started to open the door. She had forgotten something and her bare head told the story.

"Ah'm home...everypony," Apple Bloom spurt out breathlessly, taking in several deep breaths immediately afterwards. The aroma from the kitchen was perceived as well as it could be, her tongue flicking out on her lips as she smelled the mouth watering deliciousness, but inside she was panicking. So much had happened. She had come so close to something awful happening. But she knew for a fact that once the truth came out, her days outside of her room were over until she was an elderly mare. It was the end of the line for Apple Bloom.

Somewhere in the Everfree, Applejack's hat was missing.

Just as the timer went off, the front door swung open, and the voice of Applejack's little sister squeaked its greeting as expected. Applejack swung open her own door to the stove, pulled out the loaf carefully with her mouth, a towel separating her teeth from the hot pan. After placing it on the stove, she closed the door and turned to Apple Bloom. "There ya are! I knew you'd a come runnin' in from the storm. It looks like its going to be a long rain tonight." Applejack stopped for a moment when she noticed something different about Apple Bloom. Her mane looked like it was matted or something. "Say... your hair looks strange." And then Applejack shrugged it off. "Probably just from the rain. Here's a towel, sprout!" Applejack tossed Apple Bloom a dry towel.

Applejack placed the apple loaf on the dining room table and started slicing some pieces off with a knife. "You ready for some grub? I hope you're still in the mood for leftovers." Applejack sat down and started eating some of the dinner she had prepared, but then she stopped realizing that it was too hot. She walked towards the kitchen sink grabbed a glass and poured herself some water. Placing it on the table with a straw, she drank a little and then mentioned her slightly concern for her sister. "You know, AB, ah was just a teenie-tiny bit worried about you in the storm. Ah always knew you'd be fine, but I guess I would just would lose mah mind if I ever lost something that I really cared about." Applejack winked at Apple Bloom. Her love for her was unconditional. And even if it was conditional, she would be enamored to have such a little sister, one that has a right head on her haunches, unlike several foals in Ponyville Applejack has seen recently.

Applejack scarfed a bite of the loaf, this time with much more of a look of satisfaction. Between bites, she asked Apple Bloom a casual question. "Ah look pretty strange without mah hat don't I?" Applejack flipped her mane to her other shoulder. "Rarity helped me with a fabric spray that helps bind the stitches and helps clothes last longer. So I decided to go ahead and fix up mah hat with that bond. The only downside is that she said it would have to sit a whole day without being worn, so it's hangin' on my bedpost until tomorrow. But the hat will last much longer now."

Applejack looked over at Apple Bloom's plate. "How's it taste?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

"There ya are! I knew you'd a come runnin' in from the storm. It looks like its going to be a long rain tonight. Say... your hair looks strange. Probably just from the rain. Here's a towel, sprout!"

Apple Bloom's throat was caught up in a huge lump as her sister inspected her mane warmly for a second or three, sure that she would somehow connect all the dots with just a silly bit of of her mane. Instead, her sister welcomed her in an threw her a towel which smacked Apple Bloom in the face and fell to the floor for a second. The filly belatedly picked it up and dried herself off gently. She didn't even try and place the towel on a rack, instead absentmindedly tossed into a waste bsket as she followed her sister into the kitchen, head down.

"Yeah, the rain's comin' down hard out there. I felt like a river was developin' all around me in the woods," Apple Bloom replied swiftly, wanting to try and place the subject anywhere else but why her mane was far less damp than the rest of her. But she had just revealed she had been in the woods, darnit! She winched as she followed her sis.

"You ready for some grub? I hope you're still in the mood for leftovers."

Oh yeah she was. If nothing else could go right tonight, some fine Apple Family cooking would soother her for a few moments before the hammer came down. She noded meekly, slowly and weakly pulling herself on the chair and getting her food. She started chewing slowly on small bites, thoroughly distracted and heartbroken as she gave her sister what attention she could. It wasn't much- between her nervousness and her hunger she had so little attention she could give, but her jumpy mind attached to any worry harshly.

"Ah'm starvin'. Granny and Big Mac already went ta bed?" She asked, not knowing whether that was a good or bad thing. She could expect them to be angry as well, but maybe a little less than Applejack and they could have acted as a barrier. Or maybe they would have wanted her punished even more on account of how much that at meant to everypony. Probably better they were asleep.

"You know, AB, ah was just a teenie-tiny bit worried about you in the storm. Ah always knew you'd be fine, but I guess I would just would lose mah mind if I ever lost something that I really cared about."

Apple Bloom knew that Applejack was referring to her but all she could think about was that hat. It'd been a part of her big sis' look since Apple Bloom could remember and she'd always believed it was as precious to Applejack as her cutie mark would be to her when she finally got it. Well, that was in doubt too now- hard to get a cutie mark when you're grounded for a thousand years. Luckily she had a friend who had been stuck in place for a thousand years, so maybe she'd have hints and tips on making it less of a bore.

"Yeah! Yeah! Ah mean, hahaha, you'll never lose something ya care about- Ah mean, not me. Or anything else you have now for that matter! I love you so much!" Apple Bloom hastily threw together, fumbling over her words as she ate and panicked internally.

"Ah look pretty strange without mah hat don't I? Rarity helped me with a fabric spray that helps bind the stitches and helps clothes last longer. So I decided to go ahead and fix up mah hat with that bond. The only downside is that she said it would have to sit a whole day without being worn, so it's hangin' on my bedpost until tomorrow. But the hat will last much longer now. How's it taste?"

Apple Bloom was in the middle of a big bite of the loaf when Applejack started talking about her hat. Things went south fast, figuratively and literally- she inhaled small buts of the loaf, going down the wrong pipe. Immediately she began coughing violently, a few hacks and table smacks until she coughed up the lump of loaf thathad caused her so much trouble to begin with. She coughed several more times in a vain attempt to clear it all but failed, smacking the table a few more times. Oh Celestia, she had just gotten special treatment for her hat and now she had gone and ruined everything! Worse than just losing it, she had turned what was going to be a highlight of a day that would make something important last even longer into a nightmare of sorrow for her big sister, who would be without her hat every again just when it seemed liked she'd have her hat forever!

But Apple Bloom didn't want to spend the rest of her life in her room in any circumstance.

"Err...*COUGH* it tastes...swell, big sis. Ah love you so much!" She forced a smile for a second before coughing ended it. She shoo her head as it cleared, looked arou nd as if paranoid, and smiled again.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Bloom was acting so funny. Applejack noticed that her sister was not really acting herself, responding jittery to everything she was saying and bouncing her eyes off the walls in an attempt to remain hidden behind her emotions. But Applejack could read her like a book. She gave a smirk to Apple Bloom as what she was about to say was more of a question of encouraging. "Apple Bloom. There is no need to be so worried like that."

Applejack ate the last bit off her dish, completing her meal in average apple pony pace, her stomach filled and her appetite for apples sated. She took her plate to the sink to wash it. As she did so with a soft scrub in one hoof, she spoke to her sister. "I know what you're all gun ho, Apple Bloom. You don't need to trah and hide it from me." Applejack placed a plate on the counter and grabbed the next plate full of grime and started wiping it off. "You thought you'd get your cutie mark today, and you didn't. That's why you're upset, isn't it?" Applejack smiled the entire time. She knew it was not a worry about her little sisters future. She remember her fillihood, and it wasn't near as ambitious and exciting as Apple Bloom's. She had high hopes for her. "No need to worry, you'll get it some day."

Applejack set the second dish down, and sat at the chair closest to Apple Bloom, and leaned on the table watching her eat. All smiles still, she suggested, "You finish up, and I'll teach you some more rope knots. How's that sound? Knot tying's gotta be worth another shot right?" Applejack loved teaching her knots, partly because it would encourage her to be creative while at the same time being knowledgable of what works, but mostly she did it so Apple Bloom didn't have an excuse to not do certain farmside chores that required a little sailor's knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Bloom could feel her inside turned to fire in embarrassment as it seemed for a brief moment that big sister had zeroed in on at least a portion of the truth, She had to have eventually, after all. She wasn't some dumbflank who spent her days staring at the sun with a blank expression. She was Applejack, mare of Sweet Apple Acres, proprietor of Apple family products in the Heartland region. She was the rodeo champion of Ponyville ten times running and the clearest choice for best sister, not to mention being one of the Elements of Harmony. It was only a matter of time before she brought the facts together and started to ask the hard questions. This was it- she was being casual to hide such FURY! Any second now-

...Or not. She was off the mark. Applejack though Apple Bloom was upset because she hadn't gor her cutie mark. Well, she was. On most days that would have been enough and she was happier than a pig in a dirt shower when she came up with a plan to get one. troubles came and went but what was constant was her desire to find out what her destiny was, and the days when she failed to get one piled on her like so many heavy stones. But today, the heaviest stone of all was the one she he;d in her heart, hidden from the view of her sister. And thank Celestia for that.

"Oh, uhh...yeah, sorry 'bout being so odd. Crusadin' isn't going nearly as well as it should. Ah'd have thought that I'd get mah cutie mark a lot sooner than this. Enough to drive a filly to do something crazy- uhh, like cry, Ah mean. Ah want it nooooooooowwwww!" She recovered with an exaggerated pout at the expense of honesty as her sister went about cleaning her dishes. She wasn't really all that proud about lying but it was what it was. Maybe of everything went well she wouldn't even try to find one of her most treasured possessions, a family heirloom so important to her that seemingly no image of her was complete without it. Yeah, it sounded stupid to Apple Bloom too. She finished her plate halfheartedly, her stomach not agreeing with any of it. It was delicious and nutritious and not at all worthy of the lying filly who consumed it. She brought her plate in with Applejack while the elder spoke, sullenly going about her tasks as her heart beat swiftly with the thrill of escape close at hoof. Applejack washed her dishes and Apple Bloom made sure she did the same, the Apples being a responsible lot and all. As she washed her dishes and went about drying it, Applejack-

-Apple Blooms heart skipped a beat and she dropped the dish. Quick reflexes kicked in and she but the plate, holding it steady in her mouth while she teetered on the brink of collapsing off of the stool she stood on to clean her dishes. She slowly brought it back and put the plate in the sink, her back tp Applejack. Good thing too, her pupils had dilated to the extent that the color of her eyes seemed to be myth. Rope. Of all things, rope.

"Ohh, uhh, new knots huh. Yeah, knots are ah, a good thing to have on hoof. Bu- Ah- Ah know plenty of knots, Ah mean, a lot of knots. Don't need to learn any new ones for rope, nope. Uhh, nope. NNope. Nnope to ropes, haha, like Big Mac would say," She stuttered her way through her speech, not even bothering to pantomime cleaning her dish any longer.

For a moment, Applejack had thought Apple Bloom had completely lost it. Oh! Maybe she met a cute colt she likes and doesn't know how to react to her feelings. Applejack daydreamed about such a moment, but then also curiously threatened herself with her own lack of movement in terms of 'partnering up.'

Applejack smirked at the cute filly trying to make her case. Apple Bloom seemed more distressed than she originally realized. It was definitely time for an activity, and sister activities always made everything better. "Nonsense, sprout. Let's do some knots. Let me go to mah room and get a few ropes." Applejack wiped her hooves clean of the soapy water, and continued to walk comfortably towards the stairs.

As Applejack started to climb, she remember what it was like when she was a filly struggling with identity. At this point in Apple Bloom's life, Applejack had already gone to Manehatten. Manehatten was an adventure, but it was also a great moment of stress. She remembers how everything was a big deal at first and then when she gained a perspective on her own life and her family at the farm, she learned how to put these perspectives in order, and to not take for granted the great things you already have with you. Maybe Apple Bloom was at that tough moment, where, when all seems lost, her moment of identity comes from the very next decision she makes. Knowing this, Applejack decided to be sensitive about it. But meanwhile, it was time to tie some knots.

Apple Bloom's predicament didn't really improve at all when Applejack swatted aside her desire to not learn any new knots. Of course she would. She was Applejack. When she had an idea and offered it, it might as well have come with an order from the Princesses and a whip lash from Sombra if your thoughts were dark enough. Not the greatest feeling when she moved swiftly past your meager resistance, but this time she was not met by internal resignation from Apple Bloom like a thousand times previous. If she got to the room, Applejack would notice everything was missing. Then the next thing that would go missing would be Apple Bloom's freedom until she was a grown mare, and even then she expected to be paying it forward still as Applejack took the missing hat as the biggest theft in the history of forever.

APplejack trotted off and Apple Bloom sat motionless, stunned silence surrounding her as she tried to think what she should do. Then that realization kicked in and Apple Bloom jumped up in the air and yelped, galloping behind her sister. Apple Bloom hit the stairs- literally, she hit the stairs, tripping on them and falling face first into the first few steps. She then stumbled up, following her sister as best she could but fact was Applejack was far ahead. She'd be in her room any second now. Apple Bloom had to distract her!

"Uhh, Applejack! Ah- Ah have a secret and Ah've been meanin' ta tell you!" What- what could it be to distract Applejack? Who? Not the Crusaders, they talked. Same with a lot of the classmates whom she was friendly with. Apple Bloom raced until she smacked into Applejack from behind, falling down on her flank. Didn't stop her from talking. Didn't stop her from lying.

"Umm, Diamond Tiara. Yeah, uhh...I, uhh, Ah like her!"

Applejack walked up the stairs, and behind her she could hear the reckless gallop her little sister was trying to make as they both ascended. There was only twelves steps, but Apple Bloom's clops managed to sound like there was forty, and when she ran into Applejack as she rested her hoof on her bedroom door, she looked back to see her little sister out of breathe and in a panic about something. And then Apple Bloom told her her secret. She liked Diamond Tiara.

Applejack stared.

Applejack smiled. "Heh heh. I knew ya'll would get along eventually. That's good since Filthy and I do so much business with each other. I was startin' ta think we'd always have to worry about you two fighting every time we have a business meeting. Ok, now let me get the ropes."

Applejack walked into the room. her orange pelt fell into the shadows of the dark bedroom, which was only lit by the occasional flashes of light from the storm outside. Applejack easily found her way to the closet, reached for the ropes on the hooks they were always located at, put them around her neck to carry, and made her back to the door. She opened the door and walked out of the room, and closed the door behind her. "Alright, Apple Bloom. Let's go to your room and tie some knots, huh?"

Apple Bloom's heart stopped for a few moments as Applejack stared at her sister, and it didn't start even ater she seemed to blow by the possibility. She hadn't caught the full meaning but that was just as well, a lie as big as that would be hard to keep up for any length of time. Diamond was a detestable pony, even if Apple Bloom still held out some hope for her. It seemed like a lost cause but it was a cause more in play than Apple Bloom's immediate future should Applejack ever give more than a moment's consideration to current events. Against all odds though Applejack didn't really see to look, instead reaching and finding some rope that Apple Bloom hadn't seen before. Thank Celestia for Applejack's obsession with preparedness. Was it happening? Was Apple Bloom gonan get away with it? If they could just go to bed without any hint of trouble, then she could get through it unscathed. Something happened while they slept. It had been stolen. The cows had ate it. A thousand excuses, each one better than the truth. And maybe it would happen.

"Uhh, yes! In my room. Knots. Knots in my room!" Apple Bloom laughed awkwardly, following her sister. Obviously rope knot tying was such an ardeous physical task of great effort and would wipe the pair of them out and they'd have to sleep. Then at breakfast the next morning Applejack would panic about the hat and Apple Bloom would act terrified of what happened and even run to her room looking to see if anything of hers was stolen. It was a foalproof plan of amazing duplicity that required such a devious mind. Well, or it was just every plan ever developed by a filly in history. One and the same, really. Apple Bloom led her sister down the hall a short way to her room, where the filly ran and leaped onto her bed, curling up in a semi ball with her front hooves over the bed as she prepared to take part.

"Alright, so, what sort of, uhh, knots are we learnin'? Knots are certainly...helpful."

Apple Bloom sure was a silly pony. First she seemed reluctant to tie knots, and then she went into a panic mode to tell Applejack about something that's actually great news, and now she was very enthusiastic about learning how to tie knots. So fickle, but it was cute. Once inside Apple Bloom's bedroom, Applejack sat down and started arranging the knots around her.

Over the next thirty to forty minutes, Applejack showed Apple Bloom some easy knots the filly probably already knew, but then tried to walk her through some of the more challenging knots that had practical uses. Apple Bloom got a couple, but it looked like she need lots of practice. Eventually, Applejack showed her how to tie a really complex knot. Although the knot itself wasn't really used for anything practical, unless you needed to tie two cows together hanging from a flag pole. "And that's how you tie the super duper double-laced triangular slipknot. Neat huh, Apple Bloom." Applejack looked up, seeing her sister not responding. "Um, Apple Bloom?"

Her sister was a sorceress with rope, as if all her rodeo champion plaques weren't proof enough! She knew more knots than there were stars in the sky and that was saying an awful lot as there was an awful lot of stars in the sky. How many ever came in hoof? Less than ten percent, she figured. But heck, having a stable of anything was good and having a stable of situational knots and tricks was a whole heck a lot better than having a whole stable of butterflies roosting, if butterflies roosted, in the pit of your stomach. They were silenced after flapping about earlier, her lie becoming something easier to live with as the world turned and moved on. Nopony was perfect. She was just happy to get away with it, if she was to be honest with herself.

So she attacked Applejack's instructions with proper gusto, energetically tying her hooves once or twice as the knots got harder. But it was fun. And heck, next time she was stuck in the woods she'd have new methods of getting un-stuck. That woulda come in hoof earlier when she was in the woods making some of the biggest mistakes of her young life. But once she got to the super duper double-laced whatchamacallit, things got complicated for the little one. She followed as best she could but her best was not good enough. By the time she realized anything was wrong, she was hanging upside down, hooves rolled up into one and tiedup up to the top of her large bed post, leaving her hanging about five feet 'bove the ground. And theeeen Applejack noticed. Well, Apple Bloom had been in more embarrassing scenarios.

"Ha...haha...uhh...Ah might need yer help..."

Apple Bloom found herself hanging upside down caught in the rope she was trying to tame. Applejack was pretty amazed at how Apple Bloom could find herself hanging from a rope she was trying to tie on the floor. Perhaps if the filly knew what she was doing, she might actually be a booby trap master. "Hang on, Apple Bloom, I'll cut you loose. Those knots you tied look too confusing even for myself. I'll go get the machete." Applejack trotted out to the hallway and into her room. She started digging into the closet looking for the family machete, but she couldn't find it. So she backed out of the closet, lit a small candle on the shelf near the closet, and climbed back in. A small shimmer of light bounced back off the large cutting tool, and Applejack reached in to grab it with her mouth. Once clamped, she picked it up and pulled it out of the closet. She then started walking to the hallway when she noticed something strange.

Applejack glanced at the bedpost. Subconsciously, something took her off as odd. Although she wasn't immediately sure what it was, but several times a day she saw the same bedpost naked with no problem at all. It could have been Applejack's mind playing tricks on her, saying that something could be missing from the bedpost. But Applejack didn't have enough time to think of what that something could be. She was more put off by the fact that it bothered her for some reason. Like something deep inside of her trying to tell her something was wrong. But intuition that Applejack had only went so far, and Applejack was drawing a blank for the entire second she considered why it bothered her. The only object I ever puts on there is mah hat, and ah'm is wearing mah h....AAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Applejack realized the hat she wasn't wearing and resting in her room was not where she had put it. Immediately Applejack was simply confused. Could she have put it somewhere else? Was it on her hat hook? She turned her head to look at the wall. Nope. Nothing there. Applejack looked at her desk, and then the window sill. And then the box of random stuff, and then everything else in the bedroom. Where in tarnation is mah hat!? Applejack's breathing started to increase in pace, for she had never completely lost her hat before and her hat was very important to her for many reasons she would rather no discuss, or think about, in a moment like this. She dropped the machete and started frantically exploring every inch of her bedroom. She lit up a few more candles to reduce the darkness of the shadows. But then she stopped and gave up for a moment.

She couldn't find it.

She ran into Apple Bloom's room, where her sister was still suspended. Applejack did not even consider Apple Bloom's freedom. "Apple Bloom! I can't find mah hat! Where in tarnation is mah hat!?"

Applejack ran downstairs into the kitchen. Upstairs, one could here the clattering and smashing of pots and pans and other kitchen tools being thrown about in a desperate attempt to find a missing item. Occasionally between the clanks, Applejack's frustration could be heard, her mouth edging on the side of words that fillies should not ever dare to say.

She ran up the steps and into Apple Bloom's room, and started rummaging through Apple Blooms clothes piles and underneath her bed. "Oh Apple Bloom. I need to find that hat. Did you see it at any point tonight?"

Apple Bloom hung like a pinata still, swinging ever so lightly in the air as she tried and failed to hide the blush from her embarrassment. This wasn't the first time she had ended up catching her hooves in rope and it would probably not be the last. In fact, she had done it many times! She was always an attentive student of Applejack's in the classic classroom of farm skills. Attentive, not effective. She was always about ten steps off the pace from her big sister in anything they did together and while that was frustrating, it just built up a certain reservoir of awe for Applejack. Apple Bloom got tied up to a fence post doing a rope trick that Applejack did without so much as a thought. She got chased by farm animals that couldn't wait to roll over like obedient little pets for Applejack when she made her appearance. Apple Bloom truly did hold her sister in high esteem, affording her such a great deal of respect and admiration that it was impossible to imagine anypony being better in her eyes.

Which made her lies all the more important. She didn't want Applejack to feel sad or unhappy but even more than that at the moment was Apple Bloom's earnest desire for Applejack to never have cause to be upset with her in so big a way. It tore the little filly apart but between either seeing Applejack sad or Applejack disappointed in her, Apple Bloom chose the first route. She could always save the day. You can't always get that respect back, especially when it came from a place of such deep betrayal. Well, maybe not deep betrayal. It had been a silly idea undertaken at a time when the combination of foalhood energy and decision making crashed headlong into reckless desires and the sinister nature of the Everfree that she had so foolishly considered tamed. And now she was in a position as she listened to her sister run about the house and throw herself into a tizzy over something they both knew the answer to was poor.

It hurt seeing Applejack so worked up over her hat, though. Apple Bloom knew how much it meant to her sister and had felt the emotional anvil come down on her when her idiocy had cost her the hat. She felt a need to lie to cover her own flank and was willing to risk her sister's sadness...and thought she was strong enough to go through with that. But her sister didn't just sound sad. She'd seen her sister face sorrow and swallow life's bitter pill more times than any of her friends but had never seemed to take a shot of desperation with it. Desperation bred hope which bred the deepest pits of despair and sadness when it was dashed against the rocks. She ran around the house looking for her hat, pleading to find it, asking Apple Bloom if she knew and all the while the filly could only limply lay in the air, waiting for rescue.

Apple Bloom was shook out of her emotional storm when she noticed Applejack was rummaging through her stuff in a panic. Well, that was expected. She was turning over everything to find her hat and seeing her try so hard wore on Apple Bloom's frail barriers. She summoned up the courage. She was going to tell the truth. Sweet celestia she'd brave the hurt that came from the loss of a certain sense of trust in their sisterhood if only to alleviate her suffering now.

"Applejack..." Apple Bloom began, but the thoughts formed words that quickly proved acidic and the walls of courage she had erected to allow her to come out with the truth collapsed. She was not made up of stern stuff.

"Maybe somepony STOLE it! Ah...Ah bet maybe they coulda run off with it!"

"Who would run off with it?" Applejack didn't understand what Apple Bloom was implying. The fact that someone would steal her hat seemed very unlikely. Not many ponies would steal anything around Ponyville. And if they did, they probably wouldn't steal Applejack's hat. The hat had and enormous amount of sentimental value under the Apple family roof, but everywhere else it was just a hat. And a beat up, dirty, and old hat at that! "I was inside most of the night. The only other pony that could have taken it was you." Applejack pointed at Apple Bloom.

She walked up to Apple Bloom, the little yellow filly tied up and helpless. "Apple Bloom. Tell me the truth." Applejack realized that Apple Bloom was hiding something. She felt it. The element of honesty radiated from deep inside her, and she wouldn't ignore the hunches she got. "You're telling me someone stole the hat. You saw them take it, didn't you?"

Apple Bloom couldn't even summon the energy to be scaRED anymore by Applejack's near realization of the truth. She had teased it so many times that like any sense, Apple Bloom's feeling of impending doom had been numbed to the point of death by the flirtation with disaster. By now when Applejack approached her, Apple Bloom could only look at her with helpless resignation. It was going to happen...and then it wasn't, again. her sister was smarter than this but as long as she was going to beat around reality's bush there was one filly who was gonna suffer in delusion with her until she could think of a better way out of it. It didn't feel right to continue to lie, but it didn;t feel right getting in trouble either. This was the lesser of two evils.

"I...uhh...saw SOMETHIN'...Ah mean, yeah. Ah think Ah saw it get taken. Ah just sorta thought that it was a daydream that Ah saw out in the fields when Ah was nappin'. Ah didn't think at tha time that it was anythin', but Ah followed it anyway because, well, why not? Lost it immediately and then just sorta had fun in tha Everfree...came home, an-an now Ah feel like Ah failed ya! C'mon, get me down and we can go and find yer hat together!" Apple Bloom suggested with a burst of energy, wiggling in her restraints. Maybe if they found the hat together then Applejack would never discover the horrible, terrible secret of the hat! Or failing that, she would be a wreck. Hopefully it was the first option.

Applejack ran back into her bedroom, picked up the machete, and returned to Apple Bloom, slicing with one swipe the rope she was tied up in and letting her lose. "Let's get that hat, Apple Bloom!" Applejack reached for her hat, to angle it forward when she does in preparation for an adventure. But all she could touch was her own blonde locks. She frowned.

As she ran down the steps towards the front door, she looked at Apple Bloom. "Sis, I need that hat. It's everything to me. If I don't find it, well. I jus' don't think things can ever be the same." Even Applejack wasn't sure what that meant, but she was being true to how she felt. The hat was a part of who she was. Who knew what she would become if she was hatless for the rest of her life, or if she had to wear one of Rarity's chapeaus, after she promised her that she would wear one if she ever got rid of her own hat. These statements and agreements were always supposed to be there in principle. But the orange mare feared it would soon come to fruition that her life would change forever. She wouldn't got out without a long rainy fight, however.

Applejack slammed the front door open, it was raining still, lightning occasionally striking in the distance. "Alright Apple Bloom. You said you were out in a field or the forest, or somesuch? Where do we go first?"

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Bloom fell from her ropes with a slight thud and an escaping gasp of air, dizzy for a few seconds as head and tround connected well. She hadn't really thought that Applejack would just let her fall to the ground loike that bit she supposed that the hat mystery was doing a fine number on her. Well, one way or another the whole ordeal would com to a close soon. Now she was starting to perceive a major flaw in her plan, especially as Applejack started to lay thick with the questions. Would Applejack buy the whole story? She was for now, but a questioning mind cuts through the fog like a knife through butter. And it wouldn't be long before she started to look at Apple Bloom's earlier oddness as more than a simple display of exhaustion. A running clock started ticking in Apple Bloom's mind as the filly ran with a galloping Applejack out of the house and into the fields outside.

That hat was really, really important to Applejack, if that message hadn't been delivered enough for the little Apple filly to understand. Maybe she had underestimated just teensy bit how important it was to her sister, but boy howdy if it wasn't far off. Applejack without her hat was like a unicorn without the horn or a pegasi without wings. Well, you did the job, felt the pain, finished the work anyway. She'd get her sister's hat back or get caught lying, no reason to search for other ways out when they amounted to a hill of beans. Besides, Applejack was a strong mare and she wouldn't get into as much trouble as Apple Bloom had in the forest. Together at least they stood a chance against the terrors that lurked just beyond sight and the monsters that crept up soundlessly behind your every step.

Apple Bloom didn't stop galloping as Applejack slowed, confident of where to go and what to do. More confident than she probably had any reason to feel and more energy than the pretty little liar had any right to have. It was time to make amends and get away without being in trouble- everypony would win if only her heart would stay on target. She cocked her head back and blasted back to Applejack what the story was.

"Yah, Ah was in these here fields just sorta hangin' out when Ah saw somethin' scamper off into the Everfree," she stopped, course corrected with a confused look on her face. Sweet Apple Acres was a big place with many entries into the Everfree, and this was certainly not the closest one to the event in the woods. Hmm, would it be wise to enter here or not? A hoof to her chin as Apple Bloom pondered the possibilities. The answer came swiftly.

"But it wasn't right here...it was about...Ah dunno, maybe...sixty trees down the line!" She yelled excitedly, galloping along the edge of the forest. When it had been sixty trees- about a full two minutes of galloping for her- she was winded but the positioning was correct.

"An' here...is where Ah followed it..." she said in between choking heavy breathes. She needed to eat less.

Applejack's mane was so wet. Wetter than it probably had ever been before. A strange liquid that skipped Applejack's familiarity fell onto her cheeks, and rolled down her neck. The rain drenched her locks making them heavier than normal, a new burden for the hat-less orange pony to carry. She ran through the orchard, going to the check point her sister had mentioned. When she arrived there, she waited nervously for her pudgy little sister to catch her breath. At first Applejack wanted to be super hostile towards everything and everypony. But that wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be fair to Apple Bloom for Applejack to take out all of her own frustrations out on her, especially since she had nothing to do with the reason why the hat was missing in the first place.

And when Apple Bloom hurried up, she could see the panting filly exhausted for breath, the stress easily seen from her face. A sisterly transplant of high emotions had apparently occurred. "Don't worry, sis, we're going to get my hat back, and make the thief who stole it pay dearly for it. When I get my hooves on them, they're going to wish they had never touched anything of mine ever, and banish them from the farm, and probably Ponyville." Applejack rubbed the back of Apple Bloom, and then proceeded to the treeline. Once inside, Applejack was already met by thick vines she had to climb over. It wasn't really the cut path into the forest Applejack would expect Apple Bloom to have come out of. "You came out of here, Sis? You must have been runnin' from something that was attacking you if you made for a vine-stricken clearing in the forest wall."

Yeah, Applejack was still a bit upset and was gonna get her revenge on whoever did this. With all luck Apple Bloom would be able to slide the blame onto the mysterious Everfree rather than keep the weight of the world on her shoulders. Well, the weight of the world and an enraged Applejack, the second of which was far worse than the first. As she came to a stop at her chosen point of insertion, a flaw was pointed out by Applejack. The path was harsh and the pair had to take their time, avoiding the thick razor vines which spread every which direction and under both hoof and head. Well, that was a toughie but a simple matter of procedure would be enough to see her through it. Apple Bloom didn't respond imemdiately as the Apple sisters worked their way through the thick underbrush. And overbrush. And everybrush After a little bit they got out of it, Apple Bloom with a few nicks and scratches but generally clean.

"Well, Ah wasn't really thinkin' that tha day would turn out so dang dramatic, sis. 'Sides, Everfree thorns are easier going in than comin' out. Believe me, learned that the hard way later..." She frowned and looked down. Yeah, that was true but maybe not in the way Applejack may have took it. The hat was stuck in a batch of somewhat sapient thorns deeper in the forest and as luck would have it, they were possessive. And that was just the final thing that spelled doom for the little one. Luckily, her big sis was here. She was stronger than ten ponies and a bull tied together and if anypony could get the hat back, it was the Apple sisters!

"So Ah came in here and was already a bit spooked 'cause the path was rougher than Ah liked. But Ah could swear that Ah saw clawprints underneath-" She looked down hopefully, only to be dissapointed, "well, Ah can't see any now 'cause of the rain but Ah saw it earlier. Thought they looked mighty odd, so Ah followed them. They went straight ahead," She said resolutely, trotting ahead.

Apple Bloom was describing what she felt were claw prints in the ground. It was disappointing to Applejack that she couldn't see them. And as Apple Bloom looked upset about it too, Applejack reassured Apple Bloom with a little stomp that it wasn't going to end there. "Wait a minute. You said claws?" Now Applejack wasn't always the best at identifying animals or beasts like Fluttershy might have, but she was a superb survivalist, and she immediately realized that her hat must have been taken by something other than a pony, or a werewolf pony, or a griffon. Or maybe something entirely predictable. "Did you smell any timber when this thing was chasing after you? Because if so, I think I know what it is. Except, timberwolves suffer or hide in a moment like this when its raining. The rain swells up their joints if they can't stay dry." This was good news. Applejack knew that if a timberwolf somehow was the unlikely culprit of being a hat thief, she would know exactly where to find them. "Come on, this way!"

Applejack jumped down into a dark ravine, and pointed towards a stony overhang. This place was dry from the rain and was always a place Applejack knew would be a place the timberwolves would run to in the event of a shower. However, you could no see into the overhang from lack of light so it was unapparent if a woodland beast was taking refuge there at this time. Applejack decided to take a look, so she started sneaking closer to it with bravery.

There were plenty of critters in the Everfree that had claws, but few that had the love of sneaking around the lands of the pony like the Timberwolf. She was right to peg them as the phantom thief, even if there were holes in the theory. Timberwolves were by nature pack animals and where you saw one, you knew there were five. Add onto that the fact that it would be a bit silly for them to go hunting for her hat and her hat alone and it wasn't a logical decision. But she'd roll with it and she hoped Applejack wouldn't notice the fallacy until later when she hopefully had her hat and the why and even who was less of a concern. But for the life of her Apple Bloom couldn't begrudge her sister's determination- it was a pretty nice hat, after all. She followed her sister and nodded emphatically.

"Ah think we're gonna tan their hides somethin' fierce and get home 'fore the crows call," She spat out due to her panting in between gallops. Thank Celestia her sister finally slowed down a few steps.

They reached a huge stony outcropping, a shield from the storm outside. These little dens of warmth amidst the tumutltous weather were havens for all sorts of critters, both big and small. That made them valuable. It also made them dangerous. It wasn't even the threat of a nasty old bear or a timberwolf that frightened her, but the possibility of a black widow or Everfree scorpion was greater in the dark amidst all the small signs of chaos, and as predators and prey alike collided underneath the cover you could witness up close and personal. A filly could easily be forced to grow up and accept some dark realities involving foxes and hens, even the turnaround of that, foxes and cockatrice. She slowed down before her sister and was consequently a little behind her as the duo ventured into the outcropping. She didn't want to creep too far in, especially since if she was right, the hat was still a bit away.

"Are we takin' a short rest?" The little filly asked, an edge of fear trickling in. She wasn't scared of the Everfree or the dark, but a blinding dark IN the Everfree was another matter entirely. That wasn't fear, it was basic survival instinct.

"Ah don't think tha Timberwolf or whatever got yer hat woulda stopped in the forest so soon..."

The mystery of the hat certainly became a much longer adventure than Applejack would have liked to experience. Fortunately, Applejack wasn't really losing any endurance in the fight to stay optimistic in finding it. Apple Bloom was there, too. If it hadn't been for her little sister, Applejack probably wouldn't have been so eager to find it in the nasty weather and thick brush of the Everfree. Applejack agreed for the most part that a timberwolf would most likely stay further inside the forest. But it was still worth a shot to look. The stony edge left about four or five pony lengths of darkness until it hit the back of the stone hole. Nothing. Applejack slapped the inside wall with a hoof. "Yup, nothing here but some limestone some old bird's nests."

Just then, as Applejack continued looking into the darkness of the small cave, a star spider repelled herself down between Applejack's hind quarters and Apple Bloom's face.

They trotted deeper into the small enclosure, every step a little sicker than the last. The clop clop of hooves was replaced by an odd suction sound as the cave floor was covered in Celestia knew what. She didn't have a problem with being dirty. In fact, she was just fine with it! Running about and having fun almost always resulted in a bit of dirt. But not seeing what you were stepping in was a sure way to rub your eyes later and a then a week later come down with a fierce Everfree illness, and she didn't have the inclination to get sick this time of the year. She followed her sister deeper in but eventually they didn't run into any big beastie. Just as well, they would have walked right into the darn thing's maw and she didn't want to reveal the truth in the belly of the beast. It would be harder to run away from her sister's flailing hooves while getting digested.

They reached the end and Applejack smacked the inside wall in frustration. Well, now Apple Bloom could try and steer them back on track. Thank Celestia that she had a good sense of Everfree direction or else they'd be six ways from sunday out in darkest, vilest forest around.

"Well, Ah think we shouldn't be too far from where Ah lost caught sight of it. So let's just-" the filly began, looking everywhere but straight in the pitch black. When she did, she wasn't far from Applejack's haunches- and more importantly, something dropped from below almost directly into her eyes.

"Ahh!" Apple Bloom yelped out of surprise if not fear and slapped at the thing in front of her, mostly catching Applejack at the base of the tail with a hard punch. She stumbled back and slipped on some rocks, which made a skittering sound as it collided with the end of the cave.

There was stirring around the two Apples. In the dark, on the edges, slitherine shapes with chicken heads started to wake up from their rest. Their eyes had not fully opened, instead just flashes of red before black set back in. Apple Bloom's heart sunk as a panic set on, but just as quickly as it had come she leapt up onto her sister's back, throwing hooves over Applejack's eyes as Apple Bloom buried her face in her sister's bountiful and lush ponytail.

"Cockatrices...!" She whispered urgently into Applejack's mane as pairs of eyes started to open up all around them, amused and delighted at their new prey. The biggest pair of eyes opened up directly in front of Applejack's face!

Applejack hated cockatrices. Not necessarily because of what they do, but because of what they don't do. The cockatrice, or 'coward chakes' as Applejack likes to call them, have never been able to get successfully wrangled up by Applejack herself. On the occasions she has run into one, they all ended with the creature slithering away and Applejack's lasso laying empty on the forest grass. Not this time. Immediately realizing the situation, Applejack allowed Apple Bloom to cover her eyes, and then reached for her lasso. Her trusty everyday lasso, the one with the single strand of golden thread, something that was accidentally left in their by whoever made it, also gave it identity. It was Applejack's favorite rope, and it was time to bring it out. Except one thing. Applejack always put it in her hat.

As soon as her fetlocks met with her mane locks, she started inching back out of the cave, with Apple Bloom on her back. "Uh! My rope isn't here!" A few shaky seconds and Applejack did what she always accused the chakes of. "Run for it!" Applejack twisted out of the darkness of the rocks, and started running aimlessly into the rainy forest, Apple Bloom still hanging her back. With a shake of the head, Applejack removed Apple Bloom's hooves that covered her eyes and started weaving through the trees to escape the slithering cockatrices. When she slowed down at a wall of trees, she squared her hind legs and threw them back at their nearest pursuit. Her legs collided with the scaly, yet soft texture of one of the snakes, and gave it a reason not to follow.

But they continued to chase her. After climbing around the tree wall, Applejack started dodging rock obstacles and ducking under fallen trees, the bark slippery in some places like ice. And then, with a roar and a violent squeal, a cockatrice rose up against Applejack in front of her line of vision. With a flinch, Applejack tucked her head down and threw her body into the entire rolling motion. When her flank was met with the wet forest floor, she continued to tumble with Apple Bloom within her grasp. But then as they barreled into the cockatrice, the ponies were met with a forest floor that declined in a slope of mud. Without anything to keep them from falling, they tumble down the hill for several hoofs, before finally landing safely, but harder yet, puddle of mud. The cockatrice with them was knocked out next to them, and the others failed to gain the courage to follow down the hill, not so surprisingly.

Applejack cried. Her face was full of tears that shed not for the pain nor the danger, but the immediate frustration that the thing that kept her safe for so long was not with her because her hat was not with her. Sure, she could have brought a rope with her, but the simple fact that her routine and her instincts were taken away on account of her missing head piece was driving her crazy. Panting to catch her breath, she wipe away her angry tears and checked on Apple Bloom. "Sis, you alright?"

Archived