Guess the Pet Owner!

Zeig

So after attempting to draw a pet for another person's OC, I abruptly realized that only one of my characters had a pet of their own. I got it in me to brainstorm on what sort of pets my characters might have, one thing lead to another, and pretty soon I had drawn out potential pets for all the characters I currently have on the site:

lZnuXJb.png

Bigger picture if needed.

I was going to label their owners on the drawing itself, but then I thought I could do something fun with it. Hence this thread!

Anyone think they can match the pets to their owners? Some of them are natural, others are random, others still are because I've already planned out pet personalities and matched them based on that. If you're interested in playing this little guessing game, then step right up! To whoever has the highest number of matches, I'll draw the pet of an OC of your choice (the pet, not the OC. Although maybe the OC too, depends how I'm feeling).

The animals are, in rough order from left to right, top to bottom:

Quetzal -

Gecko -

Bat -

Hummingbird -

Hedgehog -

Quokka -

Arctic Fox -

African Wild Dog -

Panda -

Kiwi -

French Bulldog -

River Otter -

Potoo Bird - Dawnguard

And here is my character log, where I have all of my characters listed out. (The Potoo's owner has already been filled in, because I discussed Dawnguard's pet with people on Skype).

Just one note - please don't change your answers! Take your time guessing, but don't rush to change your answers if you see someone else post and think they have the right answer. Not only would it make things more difficult to keep track of, but I also don't want to end up with thirty winners because they all guessed the same thing. If a situation like that does end up happening, I'll probably end up doing a random draw for a couple of winners.

So yeah - post away if you'd like to participate. Not sure how many people will be interested in something like this, so I'll just leave it running until it seems like the people who want to participate have made their guesses, then announce an ending date.

This is such a fun idea! Here's my guesses:

Quetzal - Yuri
Gecko - Lani
Bat - Xiphos
Hummingbird - Heartless
Hedgehog - Ori
Quokka - Nocturne
Arctic Fox - Inkbrand
African Wild Dog - Daahir
Panda - Mei
Kiwi - Archives 
French Bulldog - Starlight Shimmer
River Otter - CT
Potoo Bird - Dawnguard

Let's see....

Quetzal - Yuri

Gecko - Heartless

Bat - Dusk Shade

Hummingbird - Lián Mei

Hedgehog - Ouranos

Quokka - Nocturne Shade

Arctic Fox - Inkbrand

African Wild Dog - Daahir N'em

Panda - *SEE BELOW*

Kiwi - Lokelani Kahula

French Bulldog - Starlight Shimmer

River Otter - CT

Potoo Bird - Dawnguard

-------

As an aside, some of these animals are notoriously impractical as pets. The panda is the biggest offender; it's undomesticated, solitary, eats at least 20 pounds of bamboo everyday, and not to mention grows to a big size (hence the name "giant panda"). Unless your OC's got very deep pockets, good luck maintaining a panda outside of the wild or a zoo. And even then, it'll never have the temperament to be an actual companion like a domesticated animal can.

Some I was like 'Oh yeah that's clearly obvious' but some I was like, nnnnhhhgh not so sure, but here we go!

Quetzal - Lokelani
Gecko - Ouranos
Bat - Xiphos
Hummingbird - CT
Hedgehog - Heartless
Quokka - Yuri
Arctic Fox - Inkbrand
African Wild Dog - Daahir N'em
Panda - Lian Mei
Kiwi - Nocturn Wisp
French Bulldog - Starlit Shimmer
River Otter - Fabled Archives
Potoo Bird - Dawnguard

Whoo-hoo-hoo, guesses!

Yup, some are kind of intuitive, others not so much. It was kind of a mix of trying to find the perfect animal companion vs picking out animals that I like and using those, because I'm not going to go through every species in every Kingdom just to find a handful of animals lulz. Gotta stick with what I know.

Considering some ponies have wild alligators as pets and bears let trained ponies walk all over their backside, I don't think a domesticated panda would be all that farfetched. In real life yes, but in pony-verse? And bamboo is an environmentally diverse, fast-growing grass that grows on several different continents, even though it as the iconography of being an exotic Asian grass. His/her owner would more than likely grow their own bamboo, because denizens in pony-verse just love working the old-fashioned way.

*could not survive in the real (pony)world*

Considering some ponies have wild alligators as pets and bears let trained ponies walk all over their backside, I don't think a domesticated panda would be all that farfetched. In real life yes, but in pony-verse? And bamboo is an environmentally diverse, fast-growing grass that grows on several different continents, even though it as the iconography of being an exotic Asian grass. His/her owner would more than likely grow their own bamboo, because denizens in pony-verse just love working the old-fashioned way.

*could not survive in the real (pony)world*

Well, let me explain it to you like this. WoE animal companions can essentially be divided into three categories:

1. Household: they're your typical domesticated pets, like dogs or cats and what-not. They're best kept around an OC's residence, although a dog could potentially serve as a travelling companion.
  2. Local Wild: animals that are adapted for living in Equestrian environments. For the most part, it's not far-fetched for the typical OC to acquire one of these as a companion.
  3. Exotic Wild: animals that are adapted for life outside Equestria. For gameplay purposes, anything you wouldn't find in a non-tropical North American or European biome would fall under this category. Exotic animals aren't too big of a deal when an OC lives or operates in the same environment as their companion. For exotic animals in Equestria however, we'd prefer it if they originally came there with their partners, and that such exotic creatures could realistically thrive in Equestria. Otherwise, it'd be extremely questionable to take an exotic animal out of its habitat, ship it across an ocean, and sell it on a strange continent. Just as most people in real-life condone such practices, I believe ponies in FiM would too.

As a RPH, I won't be able to give you more specific advice unless I know which pet goes to which OC. We can chat over this in Skype if you'd like; I can even remove my name from the running for this contest of yours. :)

Oh, so the issue wouldn't be having a panda pet at all, it'd be more the circumstances about how the owner came to have said pet. 

Nah, there's no need. These pets aren't set in stone anyways, so they might end up changing. I'll keep the three categories in mind however. 

Quetzal - Inkbrand

Gecko - Inkbrand

Bat - Inkbrand

Hummingbird - Inkbrand

Hedgehog - Inkbrand

Quokka - Inkbrand

Arctic Fox - Inkbrand

African Wild Dog - Inkbrand

Panda - Inkbrand

Kiwi - Inkbrand

French Bulldog - Inkbrand

River Otter - Inkbrand

Potoo Bird - Inkbrand

Oh em gee, Dreamy figured it out. It was a trick question, Inkbrand is all the owners!

Alrighty, not too many people interested, so I'll let this run until Friday. And then I'll close it. Close it, with my might spear hoof paw hand.

Friday's a few days away, so anyone who's been lurking about, get your guesses in before it's too last!

Also, for the three people who've participated (and any future participants), could you go ahead and tell me what pet you'd like drawn if you win, and which OC of yours they belong to? That way I have the information ready for me to draw.

Friday's a few days away, so anyone who's been lurking about, get your guesses in before it's too last!

Also, for the three people who've participated (and any future participants), could you go ahead and tell me what pet you'd like drawn if you win, and which OC of yours they belong to? That way I have the information ready for me to draw.

o3o Certainly! Dark Core has a pet frog named Colonel Croaky!

Archived