Dragon Age Origins: Ponies United

Shadowbolt0

The blight, the 5th blight, has already begun. The battle at Ostargar, where all had believed Logain and his King Cailin would hold the line, has collapsed when Logain ordered the retreat of his flanking force, blaming the Grey Wardens of betrayal and putting a large bounty on any surviving Wardens heads. With the army retreating North, Lothering is the first town that will fall, and it is here, in this doomed town, where our story begins. It was here, that the savours, however unlikely, first met.

The Town was guarded only by a few Templar, with many refugees making a camp outside the town. The roads, which were usually filled with bandits, lie dead, savagely taken apart with brutal blows. The supplies of the town are beginning to run low, and many are being forced to make a choice. Stay in Lothering and hope against all odds that the Horde passes Lothering, or risk the roads filled with bandits, Darkspawn and other dangers to the local city of Redcliff, the closest human settlement only a day’s trip away.

In the Chantry, civilians pray to the Maker, others despair and demand answers, all the while the Mother of the Chantry asks all those who pray to donate, where the coppers make their way into black market dealers who bring in supplies for the Chantry sisters only.

In the local tavern, tensions run high from the situation. Several people are looking for jobs to be done, but none seem willing to risk their necks.

Patrolling the town, a large force of 20 Logain soldiers stayed behind to kill any Grey Warden survivors. 10 of these soldiers were their armour proudly, while the others are disguised as local civilians, all asking any new comers what occurred down south as well as asking if they would help them get to Redcliff.

It is in this town where it all begun….

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Known to only a few, a group of Diamond Dogs had recently made up camp north of the town. What they were doing so far from Orzammar, their home city, was a mystery to all. They had been camped up there before the attack at Ostagar, and are rumoured to be the group the killed the local bandits. However, in the tents remain unmoved since the night before. If anyone was to investigate, they'd find 8 dead Diamond Dogs, as well as 2 who were bleeding out. They'd managed to take down a single attacker, the ambush at night catching them all by surprise. Despite death, they found themselves annoyed and sad, at the prospect their charge might never learn what occurred.

Cryie had spent all day in the library. The unicorn had no idea the danger of what she was, thankfully the hood she wore kept her identity a secret and thus, she'd been looking at books for hours. Originally she'd been sent to pick up magic books, spell books from the contact, but once she'd gotten them, she couldn't leave a library's worth of books unread, and had stayed. Blissfully unaware of the state of her team, she sat in the corner, next to the window, humming a happy tune as she read. Sitting on her lap was a small black cat, which purred as the girl stroked its head.

Dolor smiled as she walked through the town, wearing her armor and carrying her hammer. Today was a nice day, and she planned to make good use of it. She still had to find those Shadowcallers, and it seemed she was the only Minotaur around, so it was time to move on. 

She hummed to herself as she saw the library. That was the smart building, right? Dolor entered the building, looking around and eventually approaching some mare that was reading. 

"This smart person building?" She asked. 

It felt strange, being her old self once again. No costumes no makeup and no jokes; not that this town could use some humor. Anything to lighten the sense of dread that hung over every pony. 

Dancer blended in well with the townsfolk though her clothes, a white dress and cloak, seemed a bit cleaner and less used. Seeing as this was the first time she wore them in ages. She pulled a note out of her pocket and traced the directions to the library. She entered after a big minotaur woman. Ignoring her for now going along the book cases looking for her contact. 

After checking a few rows he slowly came out behind a large wooden case 
"Dancer estrago; good to see you" he was a somewhat older stallion dressed in warm cloths like a merchant. He seemed completely ordinary and that was the point. He was a bodyguard just like her, her boss and dispatcher actually.
Dancer waved "hey Dart how are ya?" 
Dart shook his head and walked with her "not good. The shadow guard  are recalling you. The king broke contract ... By attacking the wardens." 

This had never happened before, dancer was confused. "WhatzamaWHO?" She questioned. Dart the dispatcher sighed "in all of our contracts we state that we shall not engage the grey wardens. And with the bounties called ..." 

Dancer nodded "ok. But I'm not going to let this town drown!" She said firmly.
Dart shook his head "until we defeat the dark spawn once and for all, ponies will die in the blight. It's a fact of life. Don't get caught up and expect you can save everyone. However I can give you some time to retrieve your equipment and help how you can. I'll keep in touch." And with that dart stepped to the side and disappeared

Dancer nodded and began heading out trying to think of a plan but then she stopped  not far from where the large minator girl was and sat down feeling completely overwhelmed by the situation 
... What good could she do? Trying to help in a place like this would be like trying to keep a paper not dry in a flood! 

Totally engrossed in the book she was reading, a book about the history of farming of all things, Cryie had no idea of the visitors of the Library. Not until a voice interrupted her and made her look up. While many would look at a Minotaur, an uncommon sight in this part of Feraldan, Cryie lacked the usual 'shock' of seeing one. Instead, the young girl smiled at her.

"Smart person building?" she echoes "This is the library of Lothering, a-as i'm sure you know..." she realized she sounded rude, and how dare she be rude to another. She marks her page and places the book on the side table, the cat that rested on her white and red robes looking over at the Minotaurthat had interrupted its scratches. "However, i'm afraid I don't work here so I don't think I can be of any assistance to you..."

These surfaces word games were a landmine. She preferred the company of her family, even if it meant a lot more vulgar language. At least she understood everything that was said. Smart people place? That could mean any number of things. A leader, that weird cult following 'the maker', it could mean a lead farmer from the book she was reading! Cryie didn't know. She was about to pick up her book again when she paused. Her eyes were drawn to another girl she hadn't seen before. She seemed, distressed. Cryie knew she could pretend she never saw her and return to the book...."but she looks so scared...." she said outloud, standing up, apologising to the Minotaur and pointing her in the direction of the store owner, walked over to the girl, her cat climbing onto her shoulder. She stood in front of her, and cleared her throat. It was impolite it just speak right?

"H-hello? Is something the matter?" her voice was soft and gentle, timid almost. She smiled as her emerald eyes seemed to shine from the sunlight.

Meanwhile, at the south entrance of Town, a male in heavy armour let out a sigh of relief. He had made it. After hours of walking, his body was fighting a losing battle. He knew he would be forced to rest, but he needed to get north. Redcliff was the safetest place, if what he remembered about the Arl was true. Once there, he could start working on his contracts and save Fereldan. He let out a sigh. The entire world resting on his shoulders? No....He needed a team, ponies who would fight with him, to save this country from the corrupted horde.

Dolor tilted her head a bit at the mare's response, frowning slightly as she said she couldn't help. "But you no know what I want..." She said, giving a huff as the mare moved off to talk to a different mare. What was that all about? The minotaur shook her head before moving out the door. She had already asked the person working the library when they were in the street, there was no point.

Walking down the street again, her smile slowly returned as she took in the sight of the sun again. Eventually, she stopped in her tracks, spotting an armored stallion that looked like he had just arrived. Maybe he knew? She approached him with a smile, greeting him as they got closer.

"Hello! Me Dolor. You know Shadowcallers?" She asked, watching him.

Dancer thought it over and over in her head. Pretty much every scenario she though of in her head ended with the town  filled with corpses. 

But like dart said ponies we're going to die regardles. maybe the most she could do was stem the bloodshed if even by a handful?

thats when the strange girl came up to her and asked her for help. The first thing she noticed were her green eyes, eyes like a child. She clearly has never been hurt betrayed or thrown into chaos.

her overall a presence made her think she was young but she was clearly not a child.  

She was about to say something, anything; perhaps vent her frustrations on her, oh you know it's just its my job to dress as a naked clown and try my best to protect ponies, in a day and age where were we all trying to kill eachother! And now the freaking grey wardens are being killed off of all ponies we should be helping! And in a few days everypony who is in this town is going to die, except a few lucky mares, like myself maybe are going to get dragged Into the deep rodes to have every bad, painful thing that can happen to a pony; happen!

she was about to start this internal rant, when she saw the cat hanging out on top of her.

".... You have a kitty on your shoulder" she said completely deadpan.

Buccanner had entered the town, and was met by a Minotaur. He was taken back, minotaurs were NOT common in Lothering to his knowledge. The girl, Dolor he assumed given what was said, was asking about something called Shadowcallers. A name that didn't sound too familiar if he was being completely honest with himself.

"I've never heard of these Shadowcallers Dolor, I am a Grey Warden. Captain Buccanner is the name..." He grinned at the girl, and that's when it came to mind. She seemed the capable sort "Tell me Dolor, who are these Shadowcallers you speak of?"

Step 1 of his plan. Learn who this girl is. Step 2: See if she is worth bringing along, and the rest he'll figure out as he goes. He wasn't a tactical leader by any means, but he could lead....He HAD to lead. There was, to his knowledge, no one else.

Dolor frowned on dissapointment at his response. Of course he didn't know, nobody seemed to. 

"They rival tribe. Attack my tribe, hurt my family. Now I bring justice." She responded, watching him still. "What Grey Warden?"

Cryie hadn't been expecting that as an answer. The girl looked distressed, as if she was carrying a heavy invisible burden that was consuming her from the inside. And she knew when you let it build it, it crushes you. So she had been prepared for many rants. But not that.

She smiled and nodded her head, as the said cat meows at the girl.

"Yes, Jinx, say hello" she says, and the cat meows once again.

Dancer smiled reaching out to pet the little cat. 

Oh the simple joys you can have despite this messed up world, they make it all worth it!

"hi jinx, I'm dancer!" She said with a chuckle. 

She then looked to the cars owner again and asked "what's a nice girl like yourself doing in a dangerous place like this?" She asked not wanting the the cute cat or girl to get hurt.

She had a very unique way of speaking. Buccanner suspected she wasn't from Feraldan, though where she was from, he couldn't know. The Shadow people were her victims? He failed to hide his grin. This could work out perfectly.  An alliance, form in the blood of those you cared. An alliance for vengeance, was the strongest.

"A grey warden is someone who is dedicated to defeated the blight my dear. However, I fear this blight may be unstoppable" He let out a sigh, and looked her in the eyes. Pain was the first thing anyone would see, the pain of lose. "My family, the wardens, were butchered by a man called Tyern Logain. We've both lost our families Dolor...." He took a deep breath "I need your help Dolor, I need soldiers who can stand by me. Who are willing to put their lives on the line for the cause. If you help me defeat the blight, I promise I will help you find these Shadow Callers and bring justice to them"

He just prayed he hadn't made a horrible mistake in trusting her.

The cat meowed happily at Dancer, purring from the petting but not leaving Cryie's shoulder, refusing to leave her owner. Cryie smiled at the interaction. She loved animals, loved them so much. They couldn't speak back, yet she felt, whenever she spoke to Jinx, the cat understood what she was saying perfectly.

"I'm Cryie" she said, the name rolling of her tongue naturally, a name that wasn't used on the surface on Feraldan "I'm just here to pick up some supplies. With all that is happening on the surface these days...I know some book dealers who have important tomes for me, and I feared I might lose them if I didn't come collect them"  she knew the dangers, the war in the south. She glanced at her bag. It was full of books, books of magic, something she was warned repeatedly never to mention to the surfacers, although she never fully understood why.

"My team is waiting north of the town, we're heading back to the city tonight, it's too risky with the Darkspawn in the south" she took a deep breath. It felt odd, conversing with a surfacer. She seemed nice enough, but she was warned by Nocs that she had to be careful of cunning surfacers who use tricks to be mean.

Dolor blinked a bit, listening to Buccaneer speak. She could see the pain in his eyes, making her frown a bit in thought. 

"I help fight blight. Blight no good." She said, giving a determined nod. "You help bring justice." The Minotaur added, agreeing to the terms. 

Buccanner smiled widely "Thank you my friend! You are hopefully not the only one who will stand up against those things, those creatures. You help me bring justice to my fellow wardens, and I shall bring justice to your family"

Captain Buccanner Armstrong couldn't believe it. He'd found an ally, already. While he could have suspected a trap, this was a Minotaur, and he knew for a fact, Logain didn't have Minotaurs in his service. Now he had an ally. But he'd been more than a Minotaur...The issue was, who could he trust?

"These Shadow Callers, the ones who killed your family, who are they?"

The harlequin smiled and listens.

cryie- a unique name, and a nice one at that. Dancer couldn't identify it but there was something she wasn't telling her. Either way it didn't matter she seemed to be pure of intentions. 

She he thought and figured perhaps protecting this girl and her team would be the best use of her abilities. Not only would she save them, but by proxy save the knowledge they were working on. 

She he looked to the girl and said "well, I may not look it but ... I'm a bodyguard. I would like to help you make it to safety. The roads are ... Dangerus. Between bandits, war party's and darkspawn. I would be honored if you accept my help." She gave a small bowe of the head as if t were a formal contract.

A...bodyguard? If so, something must have happened to make her look as if someone was consuming her. Guilt? I can't tell... She smiled at the girl, and even Jinx, the little cat, meowed.

"W-well...my team are capable, but I don't think it is a bad thing to have extra help. We're traveling quite a ways north, so if you need to gather any equipment, go now. My team is just north of here, past the windmill thing. Overall it's a group decision, but I don't see why not" She grabbed her bag from the ground, opening the top and Jinx leaps in, settling herself on top of the books.

"Now don't get those tomes covered in your hair little girl" she said to her cat, who simply meowed back, making Cryie laugh softly. She turned her attention back to Dancer "I need to get them ready, I know my boys, they'll still be sleeping. Meet me up north when you can go it?"

With an innocent skip in her step, she exited the library and headed north of the village. To her camp, where she expected the dogs to complain about sleeping, to hear Nocs tell her to 'go die in a whole' before dragging himself out of bed and preparing to go back to the Carta. It was her family, not her blood one, but there was more than blood in his world that bond people together.

Dancer watched the girl and her cat leave. She liked them already. After relaxing in the chair for a few moments she stood up and headed out. As she entered the streets it was back to painful reality as people were in a hurried panick. 

She he saw the minator girl from early and it seemed she had found a friend who was clad in full armor. She gave a small nod and moved on she went to the towns castle and went in they the kitchen. Said kitchen was being cleared out for evacuation and ponies were taking what little bread and wine left for them selfs. She took off her cloak blending in with the servants till she came upon her room. 

She he made her bag, which consisted of her uniform, weapons, and some maps. She thought about stealing the bedroll and pillow by it would just be too much bulk to carry they the streets.

as she made her exit she was in full character, being observant and taking in every detail around her. That's when she noticed one of the soldiers, she was bragging to her underling about how she had killed a grey warden by sneaking up on it graving her mane and slitting the wardens throat. 

A a little disgusted she did one of her tricks. She let her body fell to the floor growing her hands above her head to the sides and falling on them it waving her head making it look like she made a painfull face plant. 

The armor clad soldiers all turned and gave a few chuckles before going back to boasting, this had the mental effect that when she walked by them they all looked to laugh. Distracted by her face she made a quick gesture and stole the leaders dagger sliding it up her sleeve and walking on. Once out of sight she slipped it into her pack and headed towards the towns mill. To meet the cryie and her camp.

When Dancer passed the hill and looked into the camp, it wouldn't look much different. There were several tents, a small fire in the middle. However, the scene that joined it wasn't normal. Blood. Each tent was splattered with blood, the grass layered with it. Diamond Dogs, 9 of them, lay on the ground, cut open, mutilated, made to have agony before they died. In the middle of the camp, the 10th dog lay, with a girl in white and red robes sitting next to him.

The dog, Nocs, was dead. Cryie's vision was blurred from the tears she was fighting back. Her family, all of them, butchered, like animals! Like cattle! Tidalwaves of emotion smashed through her, her body trembling as she held the a shield. The shield of their attacker, the symbol of 'a tyern' she was told by Nocs before he died. Jinx stood on the ground, meowing and tapping Cryie with its small paw, but the girl didn't seem to react to her pet. Instead she sat there, collapsed on her knees, trying to fight the emotions that threatened to overwhelme her. Dispair, grief, anger, sadness. All of it was hitting her at once, and she didn't know how to react. She was in shock, and in her hand, a dagger, coated in blood.

After finally making it to the camp dancer immediately knew something was wrong! She dropped her bag going in a full sprint dagger in hand, she came upon the first body. 

She was able to quickly deduce what happened based on the wounds positioning and how dry the blood was. She immedielty ran forward wasting no time looking for cryie or her tracks. She found her on her knees and called out. 

"CRYIE!" Running forward grabbing her in a half hug half protective stance. 

She he squeezed her wrist and pressure points yanking the dagger out of her hand. Then pressed her hand on her brow covering the poor girls eyes. 

while she didn't know the true connection between the girl and the diamond dogs she could tell they were more than just trail buddies or work partners. She would of loved to help dig graves and give them a proper burial ... But the ones who did this could very well be close by, and for all she knew the arch demon himself could be fly into town at any moment! They had to get out of there. But cryie would need time to let her mind settle.

she considered collecting her bags, cryie's and piggybacking cryie down the road. But doubted she could make it far down the road and would be extra vunrable that way. Instead she did the only thing she could. She got in front of cryie placing her hands on her shoulder and brought her to her own breast giving her a tender hug. "I won't let anything happen to you; I'm here for you. But we need to get out of here."

"They rival tribe, other minotaurs." She said, frowning a bit at the fact she had to repeat herself. In either case, Dolor was happy to have found a friend for what was apparently coming. 

Buccanner nodded his head. So if they came across a group of Minotaurs and Dolor loses her mind, they found them. Perfect. He'd gained an ally, and now he had a companion for the road, Redcliff was his next target. If there was any warriors in Lothering, they'd surely long since fled. Lothering was doomed, and it was a fools errant to save it. Was it sad? Sorta? They were civilians, and sure, civilians shouldn't be in the fight, but in a fight it doesn't matter who you are, a mage, an exile, a civilian. You MUST fight, kill and survive. That was the law on the battlefield, the law of the north he carried with him. The strong survive, the weak do not.

"Come along then Dolor, I doubt they are in Lotheirng. My quest to defeat the Darkspawn will take us all around Feraldan, i'm certain we'll find those Minotaurs..." With those 'words of wisdom', he started heading to the north, towards the road, and towards Redcliff.

Dolor nodded at Buccaneer's words, moving off with him as they started walking north. She wasn't sure what they'd find on their journey. Another town, it sounded like. 

"Where going?" She asked, looking around at her surroundings. 

Cryie was unaware of Dancer until her vision went black, and the girl pulled her into a hug, one the mage didn't return. She broke, and started crying, loudly. Shuddering with each breath she took.

After an entire minute, her tears died down and the girl went silent. She looked up at Dancer, her lower lip trembling as she tried to put on a brave face.

"T-they're gone....they gone..." she repeated several times, clutching onto a shield that was NOT Orzammar consctrution, but of Logains, with his crest on it "A girl, t-they said, white, pegasi....Cauth they called her...." her words were uncontrolled, she didn't know why, but she needed someone to know, anyone to know, who had done this. She didnt' know what she wanted. She looked at the bodies of the dogs, and she couldn't leave. Not without giving them a burial. But she couldn't give them the respect they deserved, to be buried in the stone. Instead, they would become one with the land.

She stood up, and took her staff from the ground, spinning it in her hand before pointing it at the bodies of her friends, her family. Slowly, a weak red flame emerged, and it consumed each body, one by one, until all of them were alight. Weakly, she lowered her hand. Fire magic....She hated fire magic, for what it was used for, would stick with her forever. She watched as they burnt, and waited. She knew they had to go, and waited for Dancer to drag her, because she wouldn't leave her family willingly.

Dancer was just glad she wasn't catatonic. She got up and spoke softly. Dancer nodded in understanding putting the name and description to memory.

"white Pegasus, cauth," she wondered why they would send a Mage to kill a bunch of harmless diamond dogs. 

But it her question was answered when it was revealed she was a Mage! Dancer's jaw dropped when she saw she could spit small amounts of flame from her palm!

"oh boy; what didn't I get myself Into" she said to herself.

so logain is trying to kill the grey wardens, and mages. But why? Those are the two types of ponies we need most for the blight! 

Dancer bowed her head. She didn't know any prayers or believed in any. But she showed respect for cryie. After a moment of silence she came to her and helped pack her bag and slung it on, she gently scooped up the cat and held her to cryie's chest 

"at first you don't believe it, you don't want too. You try your best to deny; but deep down you know. ... The pain never really goes away; but your heart can grow stronger around it."

Archived