Theory for Season 3: Nightmare Moon returns?

SonicRainb00m

After rewatching the two part pilot episode and Luna Eclipsed (I was in a Luna mood), I happened upon an idea.

Now we know it's pretty much been confirmed that we'll be seeing more of Luna (who wouldn't want to?), but I've been wondering how she will appear. And I came up with this: What if Luna is re-corrupted into Nightmare Moon? Now I know that she said in Luna Eclipsed that she couldn't be happier being normal again, but what if her resentment pops up again? Ponies still sleep through the night, after all. And if that is not possible, what if a new and/or returning villian tries to get Luna on his or her side? Like try getting Luna to feel her old feelings again to turn her against Celestia and the mane 6? Just some thoughts I had.

Either of the other big bads we've had could easily work into this as well. Discord could simply turn her by force. And if he were to escape imagine the chaos Nightmare Moon would cause. Not to mention giving the Mane 6 a much more imminent threat, leaving him to run amok.

Chrysalis could simply take her place. Not as a power grab, but out of revenge. She wouldn't even have to imprison her. Just make sure not to be in the same place. Let suspicion take root as Luna seems to switch between personalities at random. Or better yet, show up while Luna is away and work to drive a wedge in Equestria and Luna returns for the last confrontation.

And now I can't stop.....

First of all, I don't think Nightmare Moon was an independent entity but the dark side of Luna personafied. This was proven in Luna Eclipsed where she was able to switch between her Nightmare form and her normal form. Now I always say that everypony has the potential to have a Nightmare form (like a Jekyll and Hyde idea). So Twilight could, for example, become this corrupted pony, which woul pose a big threat with her magic.

But Discord could possibly turn her into Nightmare Moon again, but it would be harder to do that the Mane Six. But considering there are two Big Bads (maybe three from what I've seen in the Season Three spoilers), I don't know if bringing back NMM would be needed.

sounds like a darth vader-esque scenario. Discord with his ability to bring out a pony's dark side could easily bring her to that but then think for a second. Nightmare moon wanted eternal night. Not very chaotic if you ask me. If at all, since I do find it highly unlikely, I see the changeling queen infiltrating again as someone close to her to put poison in her ear. Like a jafar style manipulation perhaps with a bit less spell binding since I think a royal princess would most likely catch that happening.

Interesting theory, but I don't know if NMM "returning" would really fit Luna very well at this point in the canon. Her struggle to gain acceptance and learn the modern ways of friendship would make for a more interesting story to tell, in my humble opinion.

Well could see it as a one time thing. Think about it though, its a classic villain move. Find the powerful goodie with a dark past and use it to corrupt them again. I just see a green, slit, eyed lunar adviser slinking around luna twisting the words and actions of her sister and friends, right after she messes something up that she feels her friends will hate her for.

*slides around* "she banished you once" *slinky slink* "What makes you think she wont do it again?"..."You heard what Twilight said, she "needs time to think" I bet she's ratting you out to your sister as we speak." *slither slink* "Are you really going to let them imprison the princess of the night again? Ruler of the stars! Rightful Queen!" *slinks away to let it sink in*

See like that ^w^

• Like 1