[Canterlot] Mares' Night (Open)

DeepBass

The scene was set. The club had just opened its doors for the evening, and the party was set to begin. The blue lights weren't exactly to the mare's liking, but they weren't worth complaining. The neon sign out front read "Aqua's," and the interior was strikingly true to the name. The bar was of a flat silver color that the unicorn would've called grey any other time. The chairs and stools were all of a cerulean upholstery, with Silver trim, the tables matching the color of the chairs in their cerulean hue. Even the dancefloor matched the theme, with its grey carpeting, accentuated by cerulean swirls.

Normally, Soft Treble wouldn't even think to come to a place like this, let alone travel all the way from Fillydelphia for such an attraction. However, the circumstances were slightly different, tonight. Ever since her brother had met his fillyfriend, Treble didn't see him around the house too often. And just the day before, her friend, Midsy had pranced in the door, begging Treble to come to Canterlot with her, to watch her perform. How could she say no? As Treble sat at the bar, swirling her glass of cider, she was beginning to think of a few new ways.

Meanwhile, backstage, Midsy was pulling together the final preparations for her performance. It wasn't exactly her usual performance, which was actually playing the tracks that she had written. No, this performance was a bit more laid back. She was asked to DJ for "Mares' Night" at the Aqua. And how could she refuse? Soon, she stepped out onto the stage, and set her selection of records next to the turntables, and looked out at the ponies that began to file in, beaming all the way.

Sweet Surprise could hardly contain her excitement. Not that she ever tried to of course, as many things did excite her. But this was big, bigger than a candy sale at her store, bigger than creating a new candy.

This was a party.

It had been a while since Sweet was invited to the party, the last one being the Canterlot Royal Public Relations Open House. That one, although it had great foor and dancing, had too much emotional drama going on. Sweet hated to see so many ponies upset at a place that should be fun.

Now she learned that there was another party at the club called Aqua. Interestingly enough, it was a Mares Only one, something Sweet had never been to. Maybe this would be a chance to make some mare friends!

"It's Party Time," Sweet said as she entered the club, "P-A-R-T-Y? Because I want to!"

• 3 weeks later...

Page hesitantly approached the club, riven perched on his back. It started as a low humming sound, but as he approached, it became louder and louder until blue moon could physically feel the music. It wasn't long before he spotted the neon sign, "here we are" he said to his light brown owl. "I hope your happy, dragging me out here this late at night." riven let out a small coo of acknowledgement, and as they entered the club, blue moon quickly ordered a glass of cider and sat himself as far from the dance floor as possible. It wasn't long before he realized that it was a mares night, and with that he began to leave, but riven wouldn't budge she was determined to make this night as 'interesting' as possible. Eventually, Blue moon gave in, he wasn't going to argue with her anymore, so he may as well try to enjoy himself.

Oh, how in Equestria did Fantasy Trope convince herself to come to this party? Wait, bad question, she knew exactly how she had managed to do it. She had been on visit to Canterlot because, well, it was there and she was close. While there, Fantasy had seen several different clubs, and quite frankly tried to ignore them.

Of course, as it became later, it became harder and harder to find something to do that didn't involve large gatherings of ponies. Eventually, she had come across a club that appeared to be a mares night out, which did seem fairly interesting. Yes, it was a party, but she had rather adamantly decided she needed to go. Overcoming fears was a large part of what most characters in books did, were they not?

Anyways, that is how Fantasy Trope found herself inside the club that night. Perhaps it may have been a mistake, she hadn't even a single word with anypony inside, but it was a bit too late to back out now. Finding a rather secluded spot in the club, she just sort of stood there trying despnately to make it look like she was doing something when she noticed a chocolate colored mare walk in through the doors rather happily. Now that was a pony who knew what she was doing, and Fantasy couldn't help but feel a little envious for how outgoing she seemed.

Turning away, she also noticed the last thing she'd expect to see: a stallion. Now that seemed rather out of place. Out of curiosity, Fantasy dodged past some of the mares and nervously approached him.

"Umm, excuse me, sir, but isn't this supposed be a mare's night?" Oh, she hoped that didn't sound as nervous as she felt it did.

Sweet was getting a feel for the club's atmosphere as she listened to the DJ play some tunes. She eventually she saw a rathershy looking mare walk in. Sweet decided that maybe if she could talk to her she could help the mare overcome her shyness. But before Sweet was able to, she saw a strange sight. A stallion had, most likely forgetting what night it was, walked into the club. Well mare or stallion, Sweet was still going to introduce herself.

"Hello you two! I'm Sweet Surprise. What's your names?"

Midsy looked out at the ponies in the club, which counted up to four, and the bartender. She dropped the first record onto the turntable, her own special blend of electro-magical music filled the club, the bass notes thumping through the subwoofers, as she stretched her lips into a daredevil grin, as her mane hung over her face, moving as she bobbed her head in time with the kick. She kept her eye on her friend, Treble, with her cider. Deciding that Treble had been enough of a party pooper, she magicked the microphone up to her face, and called out in her cheery tone. "Hey, everypony! I hope you're having a great time!" She then pointed her hoof at Treble. "Somepony get that party pooper off her loner stool, and all of you get out on the dance floor! YEAH!"

Page looked up at fantasy trope. "Yes, I believe it is" he said with a smile. "but riven here insist that she stay at this party, and I can't just leave her on her own" he said, gesturing to the light brown owl that sat to his right. Just then, another mare introduced herself, "uhh, hi sweet surprise, I'm Page"

Fantasy nodded at the Stallion, before commenting "Oh, okay. I suppose that makes sense." Well, maybe Fantasy Trope was still a little confused, but it was enough of an explanation and she wasn't really one to pry. Though, she did admit it was bit odd that she hadn't noticed the owl earlier. Those are the kind of things that seem a little out of place in a club, weren't they?

Trope was interrupted from any further thought when a third pony introduced herself. Turning to look, she noticed that it was the same chocolate colored mare she had spotted earlier. What could she be doing over here? From a first glance, Fantasy would have guessed her to be a dance floor center of the party pony... unless these sort of parties gather around groups of people. The very thought of everypony crowding around made Fantasy just a little more nervous. Curse her imagination.

Still, it was rather rude not to return an introduction, so Fantasy spoke up "Oh, umm, hello. My name is Fantasy Trope. Pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Sweet Surprise." Hard to go wrong with formal, was it not?

Then, the DJ spoke up, interrupting Fantasy's thoughts again. She glanced over to where she was pointing, and indeed see another pony sitting on a, oh, Fantasy believed the DJ called it a loner stool. She was more concerned about the come to the dance floor part, really.

Page went through yet another thought process after hearing the words of the DJ, the chocolate colored mare would almost certainly insist that he get up and dance, and he would almost certainly refuse, but then again, would that be rude?

Ponies began to gather on the dance floor, Page simply ordered another glass of cider and sat down again.

"I really shouldn't keep you" He said as the thought of dancing entered his mind.

"Go off and have fun!" Forcing a smile, blue moon pointed over to the dance floor.

"Nice to meet you too Page and Fantasy Trope."

The stallion then began to excuse himself, encouraging the two to the dance floor.

"Maybe he's scared of all these mares around," Sweet thought. The DJ then mentioned that there was a pony sitting alone by the bar.

"Come on Fantasy. Lets meet this other mare. No pony should be alone at a party."

"umm, yeah good idea" said page with another forced smile. Once again gestering too the bar, before turning to have a quiet word with riven. "Are you truly happy now? First you make me come here, and now I've only spent about a minute here and I have already had to avoid a conversation." Riven only let out another mocking coo in replie

"Right behind you." Fantasy gave a brief smile, assuming Sweet Surprise would want to take the lead. Page was lucky enough to be able to excuse himself, but Fantasy seemed a bit stuck. At this point, it would be terribly rude not to go along with this. And so, as she waited for Sweet Surprise to take the lead, she was trying to remember if there was any point in time where she knew how to dance.

Well, no backing out now. "This should be interesting." She thought.

Page reached into a black saddle bag that lay behind him, pulling out a book on pony magic. "hopefully I wont have to spend much longer here." Page thought to himself. Although Riven Seemed to be enjoying herself.... then again, it was her birthday. And it was her choice what they did, although she couldn't talk, she made it very clear what she wanted. Page sat, reading a particularly interesting passage about the mare in the moon. As he read, more and more ponies began to congregate on the dance floor. And, before he could at all stop her, Riven flew into the crowd gathering on the dance floor.

Page let out a deep sigh, picked himself up off his relatively secluded spot in the club, and then proceeded to the dance floor to look for his beloved owl.

Fantasy finally started to calm herself as she approached the mare sitting on the stool. Shooting a sideways glance at Surprise, she felt somewhat better that at least one of them knew what they were doing. Besides, Surprise would probably end up doing most of the talking, or at the very least attract more interest in a conversation. Glancing backwards, she saw an owl fly into the dance floor. Fantasy stopped for a moment and blinked, wondering if she had seen that accurately. No matter, she already had something to keep her occupied.

Turning back around, she kicked her hoof and gave a private sigh, before offering a greeting to the yellow unicorn. "Umm... hello. I believe the DJ mentioned something about you and a loner stool and..." Fantasy trailed off. Well, she probably couldn't have phrased that any weirder if she tried. Perhaps she could salvage it still.

Extending a hoof, she continued "Pardon me, I haven't really gone to a club in a while. My name's Fantasy Trope."

Sweet Surprise made her wat to the bar area. While she wasn't adept in going to club parties, she was a natural in going to many of them and even participating in them selling candy. She saw the lost stallion get up with of all things an owl and head to the dance floor. Sweet with try to talk to jim later, but now was the time to meet the pony alone at the bar.

"Hi there! I'm Sweet Surprise. What's you name?"

Page frantically searched the dance floor for Riven, still, more people gatherd on the dance floor as they made the begginings of a mosh pit. Page was knocked around left and right, as the mosh pit became more violent. He had just caught sight of Riven befor his forehead was smashed against the side of the stage by a rather large mare. And then... Blackness............. Page's eyes shot open, riven was by his side, page stumbled to his feet before sitting himself back down. His head began to ache, with every boom of the music came a throb of pain. Finally realizing what had happend, he reached into his saddle bag and retrieved a small brown bottle, he drank a cap full before returning it to his bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Treble looked up at the DJ, pure fury in her silver eyes, as she glared out from beneath her icy blue mane. There would definitely be repercussions for the oh so cheerful DJ, the first opportunity that presented itself, but for the moment, the vocalist/ violinist had another matter to attend to. Midsy's shoutout had inspired two of the mares in the club to approach her. As the first one appeared, she started mumbling something about a loner stool. The term was no doubt previously coined by the enthusiastic mare behind the turntables. She offered a kind smile to the mare. "Nice to meet you, Fantasy Trope. My name's Soft Treble. Or just Treble."

She then turned to see another mare prancing up to her. Note to self: Break record collection over Midsy's head. Treble smiled at the mare, attempting to be sociable. "Hi, Sweet Surprise. I'm Treble. It's nice to meet you both."

Well, so far so good. Or, it at least seemed good. It was hard to tell, with little to compare the scenario with. Of course, maybe thinking of any situation she could compare this one too was beggining to over think things, which rarely turned out well. At least Soft Treble smiled. That had to be a good sign? Hard to go wrong from here, she reasoned.

"I don't suppose you-" Fantasy was interuppted mid-sentence when she heard a thud ill timed with the music. She had little to know idea about what this type of music was supposed to sound like, but from what she had heard so far, it did have some sort of rhythm to it. Glancing over her shoulder, she gasped just barely under her breath. "Oh dear..."

What she had spotted was that stallion from before, only he was lying on the floor, presumably unconscious. What really seemed concerning was the lack of ponies that noticed him. Fantasy guessed they assumed the thud was part of the music, like she initially did. Perhaps checking if he was okay would be a sound plan.

Turning back to the two mares, she gave a brief excuse. "Erm, I hate to cut things off early, but I just remembered I need to attend to something at the moment..." Okay, so it was a bad excuse, what else could she possible attend to? She just didn't really want to draw a lot of attention to the stallion. That seemed a bit like something that would ruin the party, and she just wanted to see if the Stallion was okay. Trotting off, she headed towards the dance floor.

Once she reached the somewhat large group of mares on the dance floor, she began to think she had made a slight mistake. Swallowing her worry, she nervously began winding through the crowd, wincing every time a pony bumped into her. Eventually, she did find the stallion with the owl still by his side, but he seemed to have gotten back on his own four hooves rather quickly it seemed. Still, she had come this far, perhaps just a quick chat to make sure he was fine. Fantasy had read at least one book about concussions, so she was still a little worried.

Approaching him, she realized she had no idea what she was going to say, so she just let loose a nervous ramble, most of which was drowned out by the music. "Oh, hello there! I had... well, I saw you unconscious, and well, I didn't see you actually fall unconscious, but I heard it sort of off in the distance and a thud seemed weird for this type of music, and I saw you lying on the floor, but now I guess you aren't but really I just wanted to make sure you weren't injured or anything serious. That probably wouldn't be good, and it would certainly not bode very well for the rest of the night..."

Fantasy took a breath. Once it occurred to her how little of what she said got across and how odd it must have sounded, she lowered her head embarrassed. Perhaps it would have been better to go in with some sort of plan...

The mare at the bar seemed to dislike attracting the attention of the two ponies. Yet she seemed to dislike even more the fact that she was called out by the DJ on the stage. At least she did introduce herself, and that was all that Sweet needed to break the ice. Before she could, Fantasy suddely excused herself saying that she had to do something before disappearing in the sea of mares out on the dancefloor.

"Ok see you later," Sweet said with a shrug before turning her attention to Trebel again.

"So... I see that you're sitting here all alone, or you were all alone before I came. Are you ok? Do you need somepony to talk to?"

Miss Fleur trotted down the downtown Canterlot Streets. It had been a long day. Various preparations for her new play had been keeping her busy, and it felt like it would do her well to blow off a little steam. But where to go? Well, there were her usual places, but of course she knew all the ponies there, and some of the ponies she didn't really feel like talking to at the moment. Just then she saw a flyer posted up on a nearby wall. She turned and looked. "Mare's Night? Hmm I suppose I could check this out." With that she set off towards the club, eventually walking in through the door and taking a look around.

Page couldn't help but smile, This is probably the nicest pony I have met all year

"Umm, yeah, I'm OK" said Page with a shyish smile, "Thanks for asking though, and no, it probably wouldn't be good if I had suffered a serious injury" He said with a chuckle.

Page didn't want to come of as being rude, and, furthermore a pony that would go out of her way to see if he was OK was definitely a pony worth knowing. Page squirmed after feeling another jolt of razor sharp pain in his head, "Would you like to...sit down?" Page gave a gesture to the empty seat that lay on the other side of the table.

Treble watched the first mare trot away, then looked back to the other mare, who had begun talking with the speed of two Midsy's. She let out a small blush of embarrassment at the mare's assumption that there was something wrong, and immediately began fumbling her words, realizing that she may have come off as being antisocial. "Oh um no I um... sorry, I'm just um... not used to you know, talking to new ponies."

Fantasy, between Page's reply and her ramble, decided that the dance floor was a very difficult place to focus on any one thing. So much so that she almost missed the his initial response. She was glad he seemed to be okay, and returned his nervous smile. So far, so good. Another pony bumped into her and Fantasy winced again, realizing she probably wouldn't get used to that anytime soon. Luckily, the unicorn suggested they sit down. Seeing as how that involved being away from most of the large group of ponies, she couldn't say yes fast enough.

"Oh yes! I mean... of course."

Deciding she should lead the way a little, she headed off towards the seats. Rather then sit down outright, she figured Page should take the first seat. Regardless of his current well-being, a recent injury was a recent injury, so it would be rather rude to take the first chair, she reasoned. Not really knowing what else to say, Fantasy waited for the stallion.

The mare lead the way, after they had reached a group of seats, the Fantasy fell silent. It didn't take long for Page to get the picture, he took a seat, gulped down the rest of his cider, and glanced up at the other Pony.

Now is probably a good time to say something Page

Instead Page bit his lip, and waited.