Big Project - Magic: The Gathering crossover

TotalEcplise

I'm asking for help with this.

Magic: the Gathering is such an interesting universe (well multiverse but whatever) to explore that one cannot imagine NOT doing an MLP crossover with it.

The hardest part of it is doing it right, I could take the easy way out and say "X character from the mane six is a planeswalker and they blah blah blah..." or do the reverse and have a planeswalker come to equestria. But like i said that's the easy way, no world building really involved and using a majority of already known characters means that not much character building is needed. I also never get the true magic the gathering feeling for any of the fics like that either.

So here is what I propose.

- A story that takes place after pony planeswalkers have left the plane of Equestria (1000's or 100's years later so that there is a stable pony population on several other planes).

- Lots of work world building, so some veteran M:TG players or book readers. The only story i feel got the crossover feel right was Kkat's Fallout Equestria. It would be nice to make the world feel natural and not forced.

- People who can remain in contact to a reasonable degree(I realize that everyone has a life, im asking for really no more then for us to respond to each others messages at least twice a week.).

- None of us need to be an excellent, exceptional, or even good writer, just imaginative. I can find editors, that's not a problem and anyone with a thesaurus can make a sentence sound pretty. We just need to get the ideas on paper (figuratively). As long as our ideas are well thought out and flow nicely we can work the rest of it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like the planeswalker novels I'd like for there to be more than one OC main character so everyone involved will likely get a character.

So who's interested?

I'd be willing to act as an editor. I couldn't do any writing, since I am unfortunately not too in touch with the MtG universe.

Also, bear in mind that this is a terrible idea. Just stick to your lexicon.

Hopefully anyone I worked with would know not to over do it to the point of making a work unreadable. I use thesauruses to help avoid extremely boring words or repetitiveness. That's what I mean by pretty sentences. And the only time I go out of my language is for something like latin, something I can find pre made phrases for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably have some Idea's but see the good thing about this crossover is that you don't need much in dept knowledge on MtG to make it, which is why I planned on Collab. I I've read 7 MtG books, and have 5 more on my laptop, plus a shoebox filled with cards and I'm not completely confident in my ability to world build it.

But the same time MtG is an infinite multiverse were anything and everything exists so world lots of prior knowledge is only mandatory when dealing with the situations of already established characters and factions.

I will likely have some Ideas tomorrow or Tuesday.

I never read any Magic novels (shame on me!), cose they were hard to get in Poland (or they were horrible! Like some 'From the Dark' novels <shivvers>) or not released at all.

I play a lot trought...

But count me in! Im such a lore nerd that I suck anything dry. I will help as best as my tiny knowlage will allow me.

Also regarding ideas - Urza. That guy been on such many planes that it's almost sure that he left something somewhere.

Count yourself in then!

Something from Urza would make a decent MacGuffin. But in the good name of continuity I just couldn't, I've read 5 of Urza's books and I know how the whole thing between him and Phyrexia ended. So, in good conscience, I just couldn't use him.

It's really is hard to figure out something protagonists and a villian would be interested in. Especially when they are in different realities.

A slight plot suggestion to build upon: one of the mane six (most likely Twilight) discovers that she is a planeswalker via planeswalking by accident, inadvertently making the plane of Equestria known to the other major planeswalkers, and then everything just goes downhill from there, probably starting with Sorin of Innistrad planeswalking to Equestria (no offense, but he's got evil written all over him, but I'm not sure if he's actually evil, might want to double check on that.) and being like "This place looks fantastic! I think I'll conquer it for it's mana reserves, maybe enslave a few inhabitants here and there for my army. Hell, why not all of them?", then the rest of the Planeswalkers begin showing up, one by one, turning it into a huge land grab leading to a full scale war for the plane of Equestria and its rich amounts mana, with the ponies being in the middle of it.

Then the ponies start breaking the rules. :mad: So. HARD. Just a suggestion.

I planned on turning this into a thing, a big thing so that Is definitely a possible plot - point.

As for Sorin, if you mean Sorin Markov the vampire planeswalker, he helped seal the Eldrazi so Im sure he's not evil, morally questionable maybe. But what you did describe sounds like something Nicol Bolas would do.

All of these ideas being pitched are actually starting to form something coherent in my mind.

- I would like there to already have been pony planeswalkers before, but they kept Equestria secret for along time (Gives us a reason for there to be ponies on other planes already).

- Some sort of magical mcguffin in equestria which is the key to our protagonists journey (best thing about MtG books is the planeswalking, they go to several different worlds I want to start outward and come in to equestria).

- I try to avoid making Twilight a planeswalker, but I might.

I'm thinking that a planeswalker (probably Bolas, because he has the resources) has several of his agents search for clues to find artifacts called the catalysts (which turn out to be the elements of harmony). The EoH are the keys to an ancient mana vault that he can use to obtain a sizable chunk of power. The story will go across several planes as the protagonists search for clues and try to survive the threats and manipulations that Nicol Bolas throws there way.

- I have a single OC at the moment (Silver Charger of the Izzet league), but I need 1 maybe two more since in the newer novels the planeswalkers have at least two other planeswalker allies.

Sorin is hedonist. Big, BIG hedonist. However he is not stupid and he knows that there should be rules and what is important. He reconized the danger that the Eldrazi was. He orchestrated the balance of things on Innistrand. Don't get me wrong - he would propably yoink our blood if he would see fit. Yet he don't like needless slaughter, as a vampire he elevated himself beyond that. Markov is kind off bon vivant type...

As for Equestria...

Seeing the errr colorfulness off our favourite plane we can assume it has lots of mana - just like Shandalar.

Or maybe it's becoming next Nexus of the Multiverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much exactly why I assumed that if that the EoH would be there.

Equestria very well may have the capacity to become the next Nexus but its mana lines can be locked by and the only way to open them are with the EoH....

It's coming together.

I'd be willing to help out with this! I'll warn you that I have NO IDEA what happened after New Pheryxia, but if you want Ravnica lore and speculation then you've come to the right place! I'm active enough to be helpful.

However, serious warning here, I'll do whatever I can to tie Ravnica into the plot.

Also there must be taken careful consideration when in the Timeline place the events. As current year of events is 4605 I say that 4705 will do. That will also mean....

- Celestia and Luna (they of importance I assume) would propably not know Urza. While they far older then thousand years I belive that he was too busy with Bloodline project and other stuff. Karn is more propable but it also leaves the problem that he spilled glistening oil everywhere where he planeswalked and we know what that means...That leaves Sorin, Bolas and Liliana and neither are pleasant idividual.

- But I can also see that Alicorns could know Urza after all. EoH just screams Legancy Weapon. Maybe they was Urza's Plan B and Princesses used them on Discord because they lacked options?

- Could Discord be mach for oldwalker? We seen some who could best them (Yawgamoth death cloud form for example). Eldrazi proved so poweful that three oldwalkers couldn't handle them.

- Even trought not planewalkers, powerful mages were shown too live a long, long time. I can bet that many - for example, Teferi - still lives and kicks around.

- Ravnica is good place to include for the fact that only remaning active cell of Infinite Consortium is there. Of course that propably means involment of Jace.

- To say the truth, stable population of ponies on other planes is hard to come by. The first idea are pony planeswalkers, but there is no way that are not so many of them. Equestria becoming the next Nexus will mean that they number will be greater, sure (Dominaria had quite large number of walkers, isn't it?) but it's nowhere enough to have "stable pony population" on other planes based on walkers alone. Some other plot device is needed, like Soul Traps that Memnarch used in Mirrodin or some other extraplanar transport means (maybe something akin of Talon Gates?).

- Equestria seems quite undamaged. It's doubtful that any planeswalkers rampaged there in the past, at last nothing on the scale of Bolas battle with the leviathan which shattered a continent (but the fact that Everfree exist can give some hints). Also which map you will use? Canon one or that from the forum?

MisterChippy please pm with everything important for Ravnica you can think of.

-----------------------------------------

Ciraxis thank you for the info you threw some things in there that I didn't know.

-Celestia and Luna will be recurring minor characters (My OC will go to Equestria twice). Bolas is the big bad of this fic and If i use Karn at all it will be in a sequel, adding phyrexia in would convolute the story(its already barely past an idea).

-I was actually going with the Urza plan B creation set up.

-I actually don't think Discord is that powerful, Current Nicol Bolas could probably punk him around. I just can't see Discord as strong enough to put down an oldwalker.

-They never really said what happened to him did they?

-I was actually going to bend the canon a little bit and tie Tartarus to the time rifts. Actually time rifts do everything needed to explain away things...somewhat. They lead to the past present and future, plus they can lead to other planes. Im sure I can think of something, time rifts would also explain how so many dangerous creatures got into such a peaceful plane and why places like everfree exist.

PM me. I and a few collected cohorts of mine who do not frequent this board can projectile vomit at you all the MTG lore you need. He read absolutely anything and everything with the name "Urza" in it, where-as I picked up where he left off and began reading once we, the players, left Dominaria behind for greener and more metallic pastures.

My credentials include already running a Ponified Ravnica RP on this very board, taking place 100 years after the signing of the Guildpact.

And, while I'm off to a fancy Olive Garden dinner in a bit, I'm going to pitch a few ideas. The first being power levels. For the purpose of story, I see absolutely no reason why Celestia can't be equivocal to Serra. Secondly, who is to say that the only reason Discord isn't Nicol Bolas tier (though, he has depowered lately, actually) when Discord is only in it for the lulz? Why can't he find a nexus of manaflow on a certain plane to ensure his dominance? Oh oh oh! Better yet! Why isn't he just Nicol Bolas? The only reason he is a murderer one moment and merry prankster the next is because of the universe he's currently in. He HAS to be terrifying because everyone in Dominaria has massive beards and tries desperately to fill him with swords. On Equestria, they have rainbows. Of course he's going to call that his vacation spot and have it rain chocolate milk.

If we treat Equestria as just another plane, have it fit nice and tidy into the MTG Multiverse, then we have plenty of possibilities. The Everfree Forest could, in fact, be something akin to... that one fuzzy bridge between Kamigawa and Dominaria. Talon something. It's why Toshi Umewaza had his kids there. You know what I'm talking about.

That's it. More later. Olive Garden now.

Personally, I don't like Discord as Bolas purely because I want the two to meet. Just imagine that! The two most powerful Dragonoid creatures in the multiverse duking it out, probably because they just don't like one another. Bolas might be a powerful planeswalker, but Discord is a Progenitus level threat at the very least. I seriously doubt Bolas could take him down, but I'd love to watch him try. Discord might not have the pure power of Bolas, but he's just as old and probably three times as tricky. Bolas may be strong, but he doesn't have the power to bend reality to his will on a whim. Also, if Discord was very, very powerful that might explain why nobody ever went to Equestria, since they didn't want to have to mess with him.

Also, Starswirl could easily be an oldwalker. That would explain his (assumed) immortality and his mysterious disappearance from Equestria. Also, he already has a library. Ba dump crash! Get it? Library? Like a deck? Ah I crack myself up.

Also, for the 'fuzzy bridge' thing, why not Lorwyn? That would explain the fantastical creatures and I also just feel that Lorwyn and Equestria being connected is just right somehow.

As for Ravnica I have plenty of ideas but I'm kinda paralyzed by RtR. I can't suggest any of my theories because I know that they're gonna be shot down very, very soon. I think I'm gonna wait for RtR to come out, then think about Ravnica. I still really want to do Ravnica though.

RtR is why I haven't started anything yet. Since it will start on like add some new lore, all I know for certain is the general status of the guilds.

Equestria was affected by the time rifts, the last rift on the plane is sealed behind the gates of tartarus. Thats pretty much how I plan to explain how ponies ended up on other planes and how places like everfree exist and why the monsters are there.

I will definitely avoid Celestia and Luna being walkers, but starswirl as an oldwalker actually makes sense. Since equestria is so pure, it would have to be a relatively untravesed plane so only people who know its there would know how to get to it. If Urza knew starswirl and presented the pony with his plan B I believe starswirl would allow them to be hidden on equestria. It also will explain how the princesses know what a planeswalker is when the meet the protagonist.

I know I want Discord and Bolas to interact, but I just can't imagine Discord on Bolas' level. He doesn't seem smart enough to handle bolas in a brain off and Grixis is the dirtiest color combo IMO. The Discord has more control over reality then Nicol, but face to face I'm not seeing him as much of a threat...but they will both be in this, I'll actually probably end up giving discord a power up

This was already done by another group (even balanced and printed!), and just received a C&D from Hasbro.

Rose, this is a fanfic...

Fanfic huh?

1.jpg

Have some real samples too:

Wz3fn.jpgaDdnx.jpgHdnrF.jpgYDOD2.jpg

What they did is a printed card game, that's why the got the cease and desist, I'm doing a fanfic, so unless Hasbro suddenly ups and decides to C&D all fan fic there shouldn't be a problem.