It's "pegacorn."

Dessa

I wonder...What would Twilight be considered? Her brother married a princess..He's a prince (consort?)..What would that make her?

Shining is a Duke because he wasn't royal before the marriage. Therefore, Twilight is...

Nothing but a (theoretical) successor.

If the perfect ramifications were met (both Princesses die/recede the throne, Cadance/Shining die/recede, etc.) Twilight might eventually become a Duchess, and then a Princess.

However, this is messed up due to the lack of a Queen or King, which means that Duke/Duchess is just below Princess, which doesn't make sense.

Tv tropes has furnished me with the idea of 'ala' for wing and 'corn' for horn.

Say 'alacorn' and 'alicorn' ten times each, maybe imagining it with different accents...

Maybe originally alacorn and mis-spelled as it was mis-heard ended up as alicorn

Also copy-pasta:

Occasionally winged unicorns are referred to as alicorns, which is a portmanteau of the French words for wing (aile) and horn (corne).

Also also picturing Trollestia laughing to herself...

EDIT:- Pegasus! Unicorn! Earth Pony!

By your powers combined I am Black Snooty Captain Princess!

Shining is a Duke because he wasn't royal before the marriage. Therefore, Twilight is...

Nothing but a (theoretical) successor.

If the perfect ramifications were met (both Princesses die/recede the throne, Cadance/Shining die/recede, etc.) Twilight might eventually become a Duchess, and then a Princess.

However, this is messed up due to the lack of a Queen or King, which means that Duke/Duchess is just below Princess, which doesn't make sense.

Actually Dukes and Duchesses will likely never exist in the FiM universe:

Also+here+s+Lauren+Faust+describing+the+relationship+between+Celestia+Luna+and+_0a8b61d3de38040d363df5dbc3ede956.png

Actually Dukes and Duchesses will likely never exist in the FiM universe:

Also+here+s+Lauren+Faust+describing+the+relationship+between+Celestia+Luna+and+_0a8b61d3de38040d363df5dbc3ede956.png

But now we're mixing up IS (in-show) and OOS (out of show), if it will. They may never release a true name for winged unicorns, but we still discuss it. We needn't know the value of a Bit relative to a dollar, yet we've done that. I wasn't talking about Dukes and Duchesses appearing in the show, because yes, that would be too complicated for a young'un's mind, but politically it's correct.

But now we're mixing up IS (in-show) and OOS (out of show), if it will. They may never release a true name for winged unicorns, but we still discuss it. We needn't know the value of a Bit relative to a dollar, yet we've done that. I wasn't talking about Dukes and Duchesses appearing in the show, because yes, that would be too complicated for a young'un's mind, but politically it's correct.

The thing is that winged Unicorns and Bits already exist, but Dukes and Duchesses never have.