The Canterlot Informer

Manestream

CanterlotInformer.png

Hey everypony!

Ever wonder what happens when a topic on the forum comes up, and somepony says "Oh hey, I'll ask an admin about that!", then you never hear from them again? Or how about when your enjoying a nice afternoon in the chat, you turn around to enjoy a muffin and when you look back all of Canterlot is on fire, and the one thought blazing in your head is "I wonder what all that was about?"

Well me too! That's why through many painstaking hours of repeating myself, I have come to the conclusion that I would start a thread that took all those little interesting questions, appeals for clarification about obscure rule number thirteen, and even the results of misunderstandings or problems that arise on the board, and post them here after-the-fact. That way, everypony can come by and check in to make sure they are up to speed, or check to see if the question they want to ask, might have already been answered!

Basic Guidelines:

-This is pretty much a faq on all the questions we staff are asked. Once we answer a question/handle a situation that has some informational value to the community at large, we'll put it here! Hopefully this will make it easier for you bronies to understand some of the answers/rulings on questions/issues that arise on the board- and it saves our admins and moderators from having to try to correct misinterpretations/misunderstandings/confusion!

-This thread will be updated by moderators and administrators for the time being

-No names will ever be used, and 'drama' will not be posted here- only simple answers to inquiries, or rulings about issues, or other important information will be provided.

-If you have a question about an answer on this topic, go ahead and PM me or the staff who posted it for further clarification/help; we'll likely add your question to our posts as well.

On a side note:

I am also looking for any talented brony that would like to make a banner for this thread. All it needs is to read "The Canterlot Informer"; otherwise, its up to you! If your interested, make one, then PM it to me, and I will feature every banner I get (as long as it doesnt break any rules or pg-rating), and switch them out occasionally. Thanks bronies!~

Question: I'm confused, can we or can we not talk about trans ponies on the board?

Answer:

You may talk about trans ponies in the chat or on the forums in the appropriate boards.

Here's some extra clarification on the verdict:

The topic is fine to talk about on the boards or the chat, it simply cannot be on the application or discussed as a label in the RP.

No RP character can use a label such as transgendered, or lesbian, etc on their applications or in the RP, based on our global decision that Equestria is full of overwhelming acceptance for everypony- thusly labels are not needed, just be yourself

Lets use the infamous Caramel as an example; Caramel's application must read male under the sex category, since Caramel's original appearance (and not just a quick show copy for background), is male. Now, whoever wants to RP Caramel can make his personality really whatever they want, they could have him dress up and do his hair all pretty, and play on the popular fandom idea that he's androgynous, and maybe when he's all tussled up pretty he really *does* look like a girl, and other days he just wants to be handsome and strong, and pull carts, and wiggle his eyebrows at all the lady-ponies- hey thats totally fine! But that belongs in the Character Bio section, and is part of the characters personality. As long as no labels are used, we're golden

TL;DR:

-Transponies can be talked about on the boards and chat!

-Labels about orientation or gender aren't allowed in the apps, let us know who you are without labels! Be creative

Question: I really disagree with what helpstaff/moderator said here in this thread/chat, I'm pretty sure an admin said something different! What do I do?

Answer:

Excellent question, thank you for coming to me about it! No pony is perfect, and sometimes our communication behind the scenes can be less than best- its very possible for helpstaff, moderators, or even an administrator to be wrong- it happens! There are a few steps to answering this one, so let me break them down:

1) Please respect the staff member you are working with. They are only trying to do their job as I have asked them too, and they may have somehow been misinformed. For now, please respect the decision the staff asks of everypony. You can very politely say "Oh, I thought it was this way, but perhaps I misunderstood." In fact, I have advised my staff of saying the same.

2) Send one of us a PM that very politely explains the confusion. "Sorry if I have misunderstood, but this staff member said blah blah, but your rules very clearly contradict with them. I just wanted some clarification."

3) We'll take a look at it, and get back to you as soon as possible. If our staff was wrong, we will move to educate them so that they will know better for next time. Please do not argue with the staff, or try to correct them in the channel. There are many civilized and patient ways to express your disagreement without having to make a stand about it. Everyone makes mistakes, but its my job to correct my staff; so please inform me when you think they have made a mistake, and I'll take care of the rest

Question: When I had my first OC accepted and he was waiting Admin approval I was a bit confused. Some people said that you could RP, some said that you could not. A clarification on this would go over swimmingly.

Answer:

Whenever your OC gets accepted, whether its your first or tenth, you should wait until your character has been moved from "accepted applications" to its final destination category. That way it has had an RP mods' final approval before it can be RP'ed.

If it is your very first OC, when your OC is moved from 'accepted applications' to its category folder, that is when an admin or an RP mod will switch your default group from member to RP group- only once your account has been given the RP group status can you then post in the RP section.

Question: What level of mechanization is afoot in Equestria? I have seen that griffons have rather advanced tech, airships and the like. So where does this leave ponyfolk? Airships tend to imply a great deal of technological advancement, in the vein of steam power at least. I was wondering how far this could be taken, on the grand and miniature scale. I.E. how tiny can things be that are clockwork powered, like watches. Or how big can things be that are powered by steam, the size of a steam train?

Answer:

We have some guidelines that outline griffin technology, and the use of steam. There is a lot of information about it in the Let's Talk Griffins thread. This thread outlines a lot of what the Griffins are capable of.

In regard to ponies, there is less set in stone, and many questions of: "Is this okay?" will need to be answered on an individual basis. I should emphasis that my understanding is that griffin technology is pretty foreign to ponies; just because griffins have it does not mean ponies do. Ponies have also had the influence of magic to bridge gaps that technology would have if magic had not been readily available. In this way, ponies can accomplish some pretty phenomonal results while still only having basic technologies in many areas. Twilight's got a hot air balloon, chariots and carriages exist, there is rather complex building design (such as the palace); really most technology should be considered possible, but not easily/readily available to everypony (more like each design is a quirk somepony invented, not marketed). However, it seems clear to me that ponies typically resort to the simplest measures around them to accomplish something. Fields are harvested/tilled/plowed by pony, not machine, etc.

Computerized technologies are pretty much out- even if Pinkie is able to come up with rediculous contraptions, and Twilight uses an occasional scientific piece of equipment, those are largely gag-items, and shouldn't really be considered as canon to base other technologies on.

Because this is a gray area to work with; it really comes down to whether or not the technology being suggested is in good taste for the RP(any user can suggest technologies in a thread to be discussed). A watch? I can see something similar to that being passed; it might even be magically based somehow, instead of technologically. A mechanical crane arm that transforms and does all sorts of neat tricks based on the user's will? That's getting quite a bit more sketchy, and likely not a good fit for the RP. Ponies also have their limits, no pony is going to be able to invent a bunch of electric based technology when steam isn't even widely used.

TL;DR:

-Ponies have some technology, but really what is acceptable for the RP depends on how marysue or out of canon the technology seems to be.

-Griffins use steam technology; ponies do not have much experience or widespread use of steam; but some ponies may have connections to steam knowledge.

-Ponies tend to take the most basic route- they manually clean up seasons even. They dont have machines plow for them, they do it themselves, and they generally walk everywhere they go.

-Most technology in show is used as a gag effect, when thinking up technologies, try to keep them basic and more cannon to the general feel of the show.

-Knowledge and research is important to some ponies, we see this in Twilight; but ponies will reach for magic to accomplish extraordinary things before they reach for technology (because magic is more readily available.)

-Not sure about your idea? make a topic in OOC to discuss it!

Question: "Dear Princess Manestream, Where can I get a mane as fabulous as yours? Your Faithful Servant, Skye"

Answer:

Honeywing: "My most faithful student Skye, You can't. You see, deer don't grow manes like ponies do. You'll just need to settle for an exciting dye-job and soft hair."

Thank you Honeywing, for answering this paramount question for me

• 4 weeks later...

Question: "I've got this idea- I'd like to play a 'new creature here' which is like a 'existing creature here' but is different because of 'reasons here'. How do I go about getting that added?"

Answer:

I get asked this question a surprising amount of times in a day, but its usually worded differently every time. This is a tricky question because introducing exceptions into the RP always paves the way for more exceptions. I like to think that our RP here is valued because the staff and participants carry a very high standard for the quality of the RP; we try to eliminate marysue OC's, try to keep things within a reasonable cannon and level of fantasy that seems that it could remain true to the show. It is easy to RP anything in most any location; which is what lends the organized, moderated RP here its appeal- something quality, with boundaries so things stay on track.

One of the things that can easily break those 'guideline boundaries' that our staff have created are the introductions of new character types, or species, into the RP. I have been asked about flutterponies, and gem-eyed ponies, sharks, computers, magical screwdrivers, giant mecha, airships and battleships. No matter how well reasoned, some of these things just don't really belong in the show or the RP. The general answer to this question is typically no.

However, sometimes concepts do fit into the larger scheme of things; and sometimes it takes a little mulling over the staff table before we can figure out just how to get these ideas to integrate into the RP. All ideas are worth discussing, but if every idea is sent to me to personally think about before it is fully developed, you ponies are going to drive me to drink! (just like poor twilight).

So, what I suggest you do if you have a burning idea for a character, or an element of lore, or a concept about technology, I highly encourage you to post a topic in the Questions and Suggestions forum. Here you can share your idea, whatever it may be, and talk it over with other users and staff. I encourage discussion about things you would like to see in the RP, and this is the place to do it.

That said, It is my job to preserve the quality of the RP- and that means a balance between accepting ideas, and declining them. No idea is a bad one, but some ideas will fit better than others; I ask that you please understand this when you submit your concepts. I once told my staff on the previous board that they should make suggestions to me whenever they thought of one; but to never expect any of them to be passed. This way, it was a pleasant surprise to them when a concept was accepted by the admins, and not a let-down when one was set aside. I think this is the best attitude towards contributing to anything.

Recently, an application for a new type of hippocampus was submitted and approved, and I had to re-table the application because it was introducing new concepts to hippocamps. Ultimately, it resulted in a re-classification, and differentiation between herbivore hippocamps, and omnivore hippocamps. It also introduced horizontal and vertical finned hippocamps to our species list. This change now allows us to incorporate hippocamps that are more shark-like, or dolphin-like to the RP.

User input does define the RP here; the entire griffin kingdoms were originally drawn up by a user on the board who put a lot of time into refining and discussing ideas with the staff. Getting things approved can often be a longer process than other board elements (a lot of discussion goes into it, revision, and frankly the staff have other priorities to take care of first and foremost), but it does happen.

I encourage you all to share your ideas. Just get it out there and relax on it; don't pressure us to get to it, we know its there and will leave feedback when we can ;}

Question:

Dear Princess Manestream,

Why hasn't my app been approved yet?!

Answer:

To my most faithful RP'er, yournamehere,

There were many problems with the previous board application approval system, the largest being a growing RL burden on the individuals approving applications that made it impossible for them to approve applications in a timely manner. Since the move I have gone through and filed all of the accepted applications that were waiting to be moved, and added all users waiting to the RP group. For the time being, I will be checking up on the applications myself as often as possible, once in the morning and once in the evening if not more, to ensure that no app goes for more than a day awaiting final approval without my contact. Eventually, the ability to add users to the RP group will be entrusted to some of my most faithful staff, and there will be even more coverage to ensure that wait times are reduced to nil.

If you are referring to a more recent application, that has not yet been approved, then I would advise you to check you application to see if you have posted a response and made the adequate changes to your application that the staff have suggested. Remember, the staff are there help inspire and guide you in areas that your application seems thin or troubled- we aim to provide suggestions, and our comments should be taken as such. If we say an application needs change, it needs change; but how you incorporate that change to fill out the necessary areas is still up to your creative whims.

If you have posted in your application that you have updated it, an RP helpstaff should be along shortly to re-review your application and go over the changes. If you are experiencing more than a day of wait time, be sure to check your application to make sure [WIP] has been taken out of the title. If problems ensue, be sure to contact an RP helpstaff directly by PM'ing them, or the entire group, or myself. Please only use this function if you have had to wait for more than 48 hours, as messaging us all prematurely will force me to send you to the moon.

The most important lesson for me to impart to you is to be patient, and show positive energy when asked to re-work an application. All of us here at Canterlot genuinely want to welcome you and your OC to the RP, and will gladly work with you until your OC is ready to be introduced to the RP. Don't forget, it is okay to post your OC early with a [WIP] tag and discuss the ideas you want to incorporate into your OC; this can often prevent much revision later on as you will receive early feedback and guidelines on your OC's development.

Now really, get your nose out of those dusty old threads and make some friends in the RP!

Question: "Heyo! Whats this about Seaponies, are they approved for RP? and what about flutterponies?

Answer:

I made a mistake when I was looking over the new and improved species list for the mane RP, and somehow missed that Seaponies had made their way onto the list; I never got the opportunity to discuss it with my staff, or really consider the implications on the RP. I ended up okaying it, and it recently ended up being misinterpreted (due to my oversight) that they were okay to RP.

Right now, unfortunately, we are not going to include Seaponies in the mane RP. I already consider hippocamps as the G4 'interpretation' of Seaponies, and think that it would be redundant to have hippocamps and Seaponies.

Secondly, I am going to wait to see what comes up in the next season of ponies so we don't end up having to uproot/change a bunch of things if they are introduced. Users are welcome to chat about ideas in case Seaponies never end up showing in season 2. However, if they really want to play some semblance of a sea pony, app a hippocamp.

I apologize for any hearts I am breaking, but with a second season coming out, the possibility of seeing these creatures is big; and I don't want to dredge up *months* of apps and RP and lore to change it to match the show if we are wrong; we're already facing that potential issue with griffins. Its still possible that Seaponies *wont* be introduced. If they are not, then we will take a strong look at creating their own location, lore, and society, much like we have with griffins. The same goes for flutterponies right now; we will just have to wait and see. We've got pegasi however, so I suggest flirting with that until we can make a decision.

Thanks for understanding everypony; for now we are going to play it by ear to see what happens in season two.

New RP rules!

Kind of, but not really.

I'd like it if everypony took a moment to look over the Canterlot RP Rules and FAQ. There are a few things that have changed from the old board that you all might not be aware of. Nothing really drastic, but some things have been updated.

Specifically, I'd like to draw your attention to the newest rule: - Only one finished application and one WIP (Work In Progress) application allowed in the Applications section.

Now, if you've already got more than one application, it's okay to leave them, but if you can, please take off the extra ones. infringement of this rule means I send you to the moon using a banhammer.