How do spells work?

MyLittlePonyTales

I was wondering, some time ago, why Twilight, who learns a lot of spells, never actually speaks the spells. I mean, I thought spells were made of words that needed to be spoken, or at least, thought. Someone I know came up with a very good idea, which is possible to cross over into other stories that contain magic.

In Harry Potter, we see that they use wands to do magic. However, wands are not required to perform magic. They just use wands to focus the power of the spell.

Spells are needed for magic. In Harry Potter, we see them speak spells, in the beginning. However, as the series progresses, we see them cast spells without saying anything. The idea behind this is that the purpose of a spell is not to actually do the spell, but rather, say the words to help put the idea of what the spell is supposed to accomplish into your mind, and then project it as magic, thus, casting the spell. In reality, spells mean nothing.

Which is what I'd guess magic in Equestria is based onâ€â€Âspells mean nothing. Twilight's talent IS magic, which basically just means she's able to focus on several specific spells, perhaps even in a short amount of time.

Rarity's talent is finding gems, as well as clothes making. We see in The Cutie Mark Chronicles that Rarity's magical horn leads her to the rock filled with gemsâ€â€Âbut Rarity did not cast a spell.

Earlier in the series, during A Dog and a Pony show, Twilight is able to copy Rarity's gem finding spell. So was it a spell, or wasn't it? Rather, it was the focus of the task. Twilight might've been able to figure out the gem finding spell on her own, but since she hadn't practiced it, the words of the spell probably helped her focus it.

I think in the FiM universe "spells" are simply a term for magical techniques in general, not just "magic the requires spelling out an incantation to active". Another theory is that because a unicorn's "wand"(their horn) is a natural part of their body they don't need to say their incantations out loud to activate their magic, only think it.

I see spellcasting as visualizing what you want to accomplish in your mind and then "tapping the aether" in order to accomplish what you want. Equestria is a magical land, after all, and aetheric energy pervades every corner, just waiting to be tapped. Casters who are very good at what they do like Twilight can "grab" large amounts of ambient aether to make their vision of what they want to alter in their world happen, even in spite of the laws of physics. Less accomplished casters like Rarity or Trixie would merely be limited to "plucking" strands of aether or "collecting" small bunches to do things like Rarity's fine manipulation of sewing tools and her passive ability to locate gems or Trixie's pyrotechnics and illusion spells.

In contrast, Earth ponies, Pegasus and Griffons have the ability to manipulate aether not with their minds, but with their bodies, which allows them to stand on clouds or in the case of Pegasi manipulate them to do their bidding. Earth ponies seem to have the ability to make plants grow better or animals healthier just by virtue of proximity (according to word of Faust anyways). Thus, we see that while most unicorns are fairly intellectual or given to more indoor pursuits, pegasi and earth ponies seem predisposed to athleticism and physical activity. There are always exceptions, of course (Fluttershy pretty much breaks all the rules).

I see spellcasting as visualizing what you want to accomplish in your mind and then "tapping the aether" in order to accomplish what you want. Equestria is a magical land, after all, and aetheric energy pervades every corner, just waiting to be tapped. Casters who are very good at what they do like Twilight can "grab" large amounts of ambient aether to make their vision of what they want to alter in their world happen, even in spite of the laws of physics. Less accomplished casters like Rarity or Trixie would merely be limited to "plucking" strands of aether or "collecting" small bunches to do things like Rarity's fine manipulation of sewing tools and her passive ability to locate gems or Trixie's pyrotechnics and illusion spells.

Like the Force? :)

I would say that horn is a wand in itself. Perhaps a fan fiction where witches try to hunt unicorns for their magic horns is in order 0___o.

I always think of Equestrian magic as more of a mind-bending thing. Any chants or words spoken usually pertain to an evil or black magic. Also, Zecora had her own chants, but they were later revealed to be just 'nursery rhymes'

hi hi

I think that in old mythology alicorn -the material of a unicorn's horn in mythology, rather than its contemporary usage to mean a pegasus with a unicorn horn- was one of the substances that magic wands were supposed to be made out of.

I get the impression that magic in Equestria is a lot like the force, in that life produces an energy that can be used to make things happen, and that different emotions and things produce different kinds or different amounts. (Different instruments in a symphony if you will) This is part why Twilight needed her friends to evoke the elements of harmony, they essentially lent her part of their energy to her. That might also be why she can copy her friends abilities with such ease. (picking a ton of apples off the trees in apple-buck season, or Rarities gem finding spell) It is because they're lending her part of their energy in the process.

Since all life produces this energy, any unicorn can use the generic background energy to produce magic to produce generic effects like lifting a pen. More specific spells might require more powerful sources, or more specific sources. Since everypony has their own special talent, I assume that their ability to use their own energy as a source is the reason why unicorns are usually better at magic that is related to their special talent.

This also kind of explain's Pinkie Pie's random abilities, because she is so naturally in tune with the life around her, she has sort of an innate sense for what people are doing and where they are.

Like the Force? :D

Or a Green Lantern Ring. All that grimacing Twilight does to cast? She has the ability to overcome great fear.