Revolution: A Hoof in the Dark (Open)

Valencetiger

As Twilight turned the corner of one of the Citadel's collapsed walls...that was when she saw it. Standing beneath the RLF's leader...was the corpse of a blue-cated foal with a darker blue mane and yellow highlights. She froze, staring at the two of them, her body only making the slightest shaking movement. A couple guards who they had rescued came up behind and spotted the foal, and then saw Free. One of them narrowed his eyes, and whispered. "...wait a second. That pony...I recognize him from somewhere. Isn't that the RLF commander who escaped Blackwatch?" The other guard gave a silent nod, as both began to unsheath their swords.

The tension hung in the air like a smothering rag, and after a moment Twilight finally started moving toward the dead foal. No...no...it can't be... Twilight thought as she approached. Kneeling down before the body, she lifted it and inspected it. ...Dear Celestia...it is him...it is my Azure... Her face was contorted in internal pain, but no tears leaked from her sad and angry eyes...she had already used them all. Her red-violet eyes rose from the dead body, glaring at Free with a murderous gleam. "...you...you did this...you killed my foal, didn't you? I should have known...I should have guessed that you Loyalist scum would do something like this...but I was blind! I knew from the start that the peace you wanted...was to be drowned in blood! How foolish was I to think I could trust any of you?!" She scanned the horrid stallion in front of her...trying to see what lay hidden beneath that mask of his...what foul emotions he had.

Chrysalis teleported herself and Cadence on a roof in close proximity of the citadel.

Both of them looked at the sky and the surroundings. It was like a whole new world, a destroyed post-apocalpytic world, something Equestria had looked like if the Queen had succeeded and not come to senses after it - now this wasn't her fault though.

They heard a high pitched scream and then could see Free trying to safe a foal who was brutally stabbed by a bar of metal and then Twilight moving around the corner, getting more and more angry until she yelled at him. [colour=#009966]"This is definetely not good"[/colour], Chrysalis commented quietly to Cadence.

Free spun around to face Twilight, frowning at her accusations. "What?" He said sternly. Wait..... This was her foal? He instinctively reached for his knife, but found nothing. Gulping, he narrowed his eyes at her. "I didn't do this, I was running to help him and....." He trailed off, his eyes widening as he realized what had happened. "I've been set up. I didn't nuke the city or kill your foal for bucks sake, somepony framed me. There is no explosive residue, so the attack must have been magical." Free stepped back, preparing to run if he had to. He had not only just managed to get himself framed for the murder of thousands, but he had also pissed off the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria. "You have to believe me. I'm innocent!" He said, but knowing the grief stricken mare would not listen.

(Cue Freelancer mysterious entrance.)

"Because. Miss Sparkle, this stallion, and the RLF for this matter, did not kill your foal..." The Director announced ominously as he emerged from the shadows eerily his appearance still shrouded in mystery flanked by black armoured Freelancer agents Nova and Texas that seemed to appear out of nowhere from both sides of the Director, "I'm afraid your child was already dead before this RLF commander found him, we were monitoring the foal's life signs just in case if he were in peril...It appears we were too late to save him, this unknown threat that hangs over Equestria appears to elude itself to us all but if it can take down entire cities within minutes then it's Freelancer's priority just as much as it is yours we need to find whatever this thing is and take it down...I, and Freelancer extend our condolences for your losses Miss Sparkle." The Director and the Agents strolled towards the gathering mysteriously the Freelancer agents armed to the teeth looked absolutely intimidating, The Director observed the foal's corpse a moment before turning to Twilight and watched her vigilantly a slight mix of anger and sorrow were set in his gaze as he suppressed his feelings towards her over personal matters knowing full well not to let personal vendettas interfere with his role.

"If this thing strikes again at another city or even at Freelancer assets then we need to take it down yesterday and where the hell did this thing come from anyway?" Nova muttered to Tex quietly looking at the RLF and Changelings behind his visor with curiosity walking in tight formation with the Director and Tex, "I don't know but I swear I've seen that unicorn before....Why does she seem so familiar?..." Tex replied ponderously her gaze locked onto Twilight analyzing her thoroughly as if she remembers her from somewhere before...years ago... "Who are you?..." Tex's mind was asking so many questions yet had no answers as she stared at Twilight curiously as she walked with Nova and the Director in formation.

Twilight whirled her head around at the sound of the Director's voice...her eyes narrowed as she gently put the corpse down, standing up smoothly. Once on her hooves, she stared the mysterious pony down. "...so speaks the terrorists who attacked our research facilities and invaded our secrets. Why should I trust you anymore than...Free...here? Something did this, and I want to know what it was...nothing could ruin my magic except a small amount of creatures, all either dead or gone! Not even Celestia and Luna could shatter my magic!" Her voice was as cold as glacial ice, completely contrast to the fire that burned in her eyes.

Gritting her teeth, she looked at Allison and the Director, then turned away. Wait...Allison? Her eyes darted over to 'Allison' (Tex) with brief disbelief. What the hay...?! She...she was dead! She died right in front of her! How the hell was she still alive, and why was she with these...Freelancers?! So many questions...her head buzzed with them. She...she was so tired...her anger and emotional turmoil draining her energy. Her legs swayed, her head hung low a bit. Can't...give up now...must... Twilight's eyes rolled into the back of her head as tumbled to the wrecked floor below, passing out before she hit the ground.

"This can't be good." Free muttered as the director of Freelancer walked out in front of him and Twilight. He raised his eyebrow at the director's words, a bit surprised he would stick his neck out for him after he had abandoned their previous agreement in favour of peace. Those armoured agents were with him as well, armed to the teeth as usual. "Not even Celestia and Luna could shatter my magic!" As Free heard this, he frowned. How could she know that? Before he had a chance to ask, Twilight toppled to the floor. He dropped to her side and checked her pulse, expecting foul play from the Freelancers. Thankfully, she was still breathing. "She's just blacked out, nothing serious." The stallion stated blandly, getting up and taking a step towards the director, narrowing his eyes at the mysterious figure. "Did you know this would happen? What did she mean by only a small group of creatures could have done this?" He questioned, wanting some answers. "Who set me up?"

The Director seemed unfazed by Twilight's stare and threats stared back at her with a unnerving glare and stopped in front of the gathering standing with his hands behind his back straightened himself up and snarled uncaringly for her threats against Freelancer, "Terrorists?, Ironic considering only this level of destruction and how rapidly it took down the capital could only of been done via pacts with unknown magic using forces or gods and I know the only one living entity that can employ such measures is you, Twilight Sparkle. Only you could've performed such a feat that only backfired on you at this scale, tell me Twilight...Who's the Terrorist now? considering you've wiped out your own capital, people and in the final result, Equestria." the Director couldn't help but find the irony amusing as he coldly analytically deduced and took apart her statement with ease using his intellect to his advantage.

As Twilight fell the Director watched as Free ran towards her checking her pulse and started looking at the Director with an accusing glance, "This was not Freelancer's doing "Commander", this was all her doing she brought all this on her self by making pacts with unknown gods, Freelancer isn't responsible for this, any of this." The Director disclaimed the RLF commander's suspicions as he scowled at the commander for accusing Freelancer and him directly for this attack on the capital as this couldn't be done even with Freelancer's seemingly limitless resources, "No-one has set you up, this was entirely an atrocity implemented by ignorance." the Director firmly established as he sternly stared down the RLF leader.

Nova and Texas only watched as Twilight collapsed under her own weight, Tex felt a unexplained burning rage emerge under her icy exterior at the lavender mare as images and memories of years before started rising in her mind she was confused yet infuriated staring at the unicorn with utter hatred, contempt and disgust her body started shaking with anger as her mind started flooding with images of Twilight before her final moments all those years ago, "Why do you look so...Familiar?...Who are you?..." Tex accidently muttered watching Twilight fall, Nova looked at Tex worried then really concerned as Tex looked like she was going to launch herself at Twilight, Tex was the most lethal of the Freelancers her reputation was known for taking no prisoners without even so much a dent on her and Nova doubted even if he could restrain her from causing any harm to herself and everyone in the immediate vicinity, "Hey Tex, you ok? Tex..." Nova spoke with a calming tone as he put a hand on Tex's shoulder concerned for her wellbeing she calmed down a bit looking at Nova for a moment and nodded back at him, "Yeah...Thanks Nova but this is getting... Unnerving I swear I used to know that Unicorn before...I think I'll have to get checked out when we get back to base I don't know..." Tex's voice trailed off as she looked at Twilight again watching her movements vigilantly as her mind continued to pulse and try to remember.

[colour=#ee82ee]Princess Mi Amore Cadenza (Starlight Hill -> Equina)[/colour]

Cadence heard out Chrysalis' story with wonder. They had shared much in their three days in the Changeling Hive, but one thing they hadn't shared was this. It explained so much about how the Changelings operated... to be frank, Cadence herself was no less naive, no less dumb than her Queen had been on that day she'd come to Cadence's wedding to destroy it. Her Queen was the better mare, undoubtedly. She was lucky to have her Queen by her side, and all she'd learned about love... Cadence looked at her cutie mark, smiled at the irony of it all.

The next second, they were in Equina, and... oh, Celestia. Cadence fell to all four of her knees, mouth gaping at the destruction before her. Cadence had borne witness to a capital gone up in smoke two times too many now. Celestia knew how many ponies were dead now, how many were dying, how many would be dead by sunrise. The sun... the sun was gone behind smoky and blood red skies. Her aunties had once again left, their light dying, leaving only Cadence alone with a heart broken so many times over she was sure it was nothing more than a ground up pile of bloodied glass.

[colour=#ee82ee]"How... how...?" [/colour][colour=#000000]She looked up, her eyes vacant of emotion, when her Queen indicated the nearby commotion between Twilight, Free, and the Freelancers. Twilight had fallen for whatever reason. Cadence didn't really care to puzzle it out. It was too late, she reasoned, to have hope.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]Vinyl Scratch (Equina)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]"Get the medical teams set up in that building, spread out search parties of three, one pegasus, one unicorn, one earth pony." [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Hey? Are there ponies alive in there?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Vinyl rounded a corner of a now half-standing building, saw Draco and Draxis and all their soldiers. It was amazing, how great ponies looked after not seeing them for whole minutes following a calamity. Vinyl was about to gallop over, but her eyes registered the group. A group was potentially dangerous. She shied away, kept her distance. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"H-hey. Could one of you guys tell me what happened? Please?"[/colour]

[colour=#afeeee]The Great and Powerful Trixie (Equina Citadel)[/colour]

[colour=#afeeee]"Hello? Hello!? Is anypony in here?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Trixie searched through the rooms of the Citadel that still stood, looked around walls, through half-disintegrated doors... not a trace of life. She was about to rally herself, retrace her steps, when her mind registered a strange blip. First, she wondered if it were a spell or perhaps her own weariness... but no. That was a signature popping off her mental radar, and with a chill that went to her bone Trixie realized there was only one pony left in the capital with a magic signature strong enough to register when it was nullified for whatever reason... [/colour][colour=#afeeee]"Twilight!?!" [/colour][colour=#000000]Trixie took to the skies, her cape billowing in the wind behind her, as she rushed toward the last spot she had made note of Twilight's signature.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Trixie landed right behind Free, the Director, the Freelancer soldiers. She only had eyes for Twilight however, barged right past them and toward her. Oh heavens no. Trixie was sure she wasn't dead, but the scene being as suspicious as it was... Trixie clapped a hoof into the ground. All over Equestria, the images she'd sent to warn the other chancellors of the GEF vanished. If Twilight had been in any way harmed by any of these buckers, all of Trixie's power wouldn't be nearly enough to torture them for what they'd done. She turned around as if protecting Twilight's fallen body, warning in her voice, a dagger or ten glinting suddenly in the air, points towards the lot.[/colour]

[colour=#afeeee]"Did any of you do this?"[/colour]

Draxis was instructing several guards and medical teams, shouting out orders for them to go here or go there, prioritize these ponies, search those buildings.

[colour=#ff0000]"H-hey. Could one of you guys tell me what happened? Please?" [/colour]

[colour=#000000]The captain's ears twitched when he heard the voice of a mare calling from a short distance away. Draxis quickly gave the new arrivals instructions before turning to the new arrival. He trotted over to the mare, maneuvering around debris as he walked. He inspected the her hoof to face, other than a little dirt and some singes she was perfectly fine. [/colour][colour=#008080]"We're just as confused as you are ma'am, but I assure you the guard is doing everything in our power to save as many ponies as possible,"[/colour][colour=#000000] He shook his head sadly. "[/colour][colour=#008080]You should let one of the doctors check you out." [/colour]

The Director, Nova and Texas moved out of the way of Trixie as she moved hastily to Twilight, as they composed themselves the Director took note of the Unicorn that swiftly and elegantly stood over Twilight's body, Another of Twilight's elite agents...She appeared intimidating but her tricks didn't gain purchase for any of the Freelancers they've dealt with agents similar to her in the past, "Your "fearless" leader fell on her own, she's not as...Mighty or smart as she claims..." The Director remarked coldly as he moved closer to a pile of rubble with Nova and Texas in front watching the Director's back protectively with their gaze tracking the RLF and GEF assets carefully, "Director, our ride is closing in their coming in low and fast and very hot, me and Tex will cover you and they've retrieved both packages from the Tower the recovery teams there are RTB'ing." Nova looked back to the Director and relayed the information, "Excellent Agent Nova keep an eye on them, Tex when it comes prepare to deploy it on my signal." The Directed commended Nova and Tex for their duty and cautiously gave them both orders upon the arrival to which they nodded in acknowledgement while their sights were still tracking the RLF and GEF forces awaiting the Director's signal Tex pulled out a small device form her equipment that looked like a special non-lethal grenade.

Captain Striker emerges from his hiding spot and casually walks over to his CO, Free. His weapon is still in hand as he nods to him. [colour=#008000] "Sir." [/colour]He then looks around at the others [colour=#008000]"This is what we know... somepony or... something wants to set us up to kill eachother off. This is for darn sure. Who else would GEF have to blame for this? To my knowledge we don't have access to tactical nukes and if a nuclear strike did this then we would all have succumb to radiation poisoning by now. Someone or some people have access to magic on a WMD scale..."[/colour] Striker elborates as he weights in on the situation. He looks around at the ashes. [colour=#008000] "As much as I would love to see the GEF burn, I do not wish to see all of Equestria burning as well..." [/colour]He looks down at the foal... his face is expressionless...[colour=#008000] "Poor kid... hopefully he died quickly..." [/colour]The kid's corpse doesn't bother him... seen too many dead bodies to be phased... never had children either. All he feels is pity.

Oh no...." dopple walks over to everyone else..and looks at the foal. "i should never have left him. I couldve gotten him out." dopple was heartbroken seeing that the foal was gone. He knew even if azure died quickly he would have been terrified before it happened. He went to the side of everyone else he had done something he had not done in five years since that awful day he threw up

Rainbow Dash flew to the cwnter of Equinia, high above the mountain where Canterlot once stood. At its peak, she settled down on its icy surface, the cold wind slicing at her sides. Looking over to Kaalia, who had followed her, she nodded in appreciation. This magic was going to be...quite exhausting. "Kaalia...if you could, I need a small supply of magic from you in order to complete this spell. The magic from these Bracelets draw from the user's spirit...but I doubt mine can handle this alone. Are you willing to do this...?" In truth, Rainbow didn't know whether it would work...but she had to try, even if it cost her her own life. She had done very little to be remembered for in her life...she had known that for quite some time. At least, this time, she could be remembered as a savior of a city in flames. Gathering her composure, she started to draw energy from the Bracelet, the wind around them growing fiercer and louder.

[colour=#ff0000]Vinyl Scratch (Equina, Ruins)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Vinyl instinctively drew away a bit when Draxis approached, held her breath when he looked over her virtually face to face. But thankfully, it seemed that he was a good guy, or at least not intent on killing her directly. She heard him out. So they were apparently a rescue team, and they had doctors. Good that there were officials responding to whatever had just destroyed the city, but... Vinyl had nothing for them, except some words:[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"I'm totally fine, unless whatever just happened was a plague or something..." [/colour][colour=#000000]Vinyl took shallower breaths suddenly, the thought of a deadly airborne plague on her mind. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"There are no survivors down the road I came from, for at least a fifteen minute trot." [/colour][colour=#000000]Vinyl pointed in the direction she'd come from. She then threw in, if only to comfort herself, [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"No bodies either. It's totally clear of ponies." [/colour]

[colour=#afeeee]The Great and Powerful Trixie (Equina, Citadel)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Trixie bit her lip, held her ground. So they apparently weren't responsible... but to be honest, she didn't like the way they were treating her, treating her Twilight, as if they were collectively a nuisance that deserved to be running around like a chicken with no head. She growled, tried to catch their attention as it was being pulled away.[/colour]

[colour=#afeeee]"Regardless of how much you may all hate the GEF, and rest assured that Trixie hates you all in equal measure, Twilight is a pony, and she has as much right to medical attention as any other. Also, whatever the hay you..." [/colour][colour=#000000]She gestured a dismissive hoof at the Freelancers. [/colour][colour=#afeeee]"... People are doing, could it wait until after we find and rally the survivors? And third... Can somepony shut up that insufferable know nothing know it all voice?!" [/colour][colour=#000000]Trixie was tired, she was scared for her love, and she did not have the patience for the bucking omnipresent idiot pretending he had something above them all. [/colour]

Free frowned, so he wasn't the only one hearing this mocking voice. He turned to Striker with a nod, agreeing with what he was saying. "So somepony wants us all dead eh......I can deal with that." He glared over at Trixie, chuckling a bit. "So we are meant to give you medical attention? What have you done for us?" He shook his head, turning back to Striker. "Striker, rally the troops, we have a rescue effort on our hands. He looked over at the director, sighing slightly. "Thanks for helping me out back there." He said, holding out his hoof to shake with the mysterious stallion. "And I'm sorry I went against our previous agreement, I had a change of heart. Peace sounded like the easier way to get this war over with." He looked the director in the eye, a look of sincerity adorning his expression.

The Director nodded in acknowledgement to Free then looked at Twilight slowly, "She was dangerous and reckless...And had to be put in her place...She's stolen too many lives for her mistakes we saw the RLF as a way to restore order...Safe to say everyone's paying up for her mistakes now...Even Freelancer..." The Director ponderously spoke as he motioned to the skies and the death and destruction around them but something in his tone betrayed a slight hint that this was a personal fight for Freelancer and the Director himself, "Twilight killed innocent civilians, too many bystanders were incinerated in her vendettas to cause chaos and spill blood for her own personal gains...We could end this now while she's vulnerable, round through the skull...quick and painless...Relatively speaking, now's your chance to restore Equestria back to the way it was before Freelancer saw nothing." Nova added and urged Free to end Twilight while Free still had the chance, "Agent Nova, I'd advise you to keep quiet about such matters in front the RLF commander although he is correct, you want to restore the old Equestria?, then the choice is yours Freelancer will keep out of such matters but this is our birth nation too, whatever happens here Freelancer and myself will hear about it." The Director paused allowing Free to make it choice.

"Uh-huh...Right, yeah got it. Director our transport will be here in minutes advise we hold position or relocation." Nova spoke with the Director on the ETA of the transport that'll pick them up, "Good, I expect a complete status report on the packages and a de-brief on the recent raid at the Tower and Highway, understood?" the Director discreetly replied to Nova quietly so no-one but him, Nova and Tex could hear to which Nova nodded and reported back to the evac dropship on the other end of the radio, "Director I'm picking up a large GEF force build-up approaching our area we better move to the LZ..." Tex warned the Freelancers of the inbound GEF force that looked set to strike in 10 minutes, "Agreed, Nova move to the LZ and secure it, Tex stay with me." The Director ordered them both rapidly showing the signs of a dangerous tactical leader as they followed their orders Nova evaporated into thin air as his suit's active camo turned him invisible while Tex stayed with the Director.

[colour=#222222]

[colour=#AFEEEE]The Great and Powerful Trixie (Equina, Citadel)[/colour]

[colour=#AFEEEE]"And what of the Princesses you support? The massacre at Stalliongrad didn't make itself out of thin air you know." [/colour][colour=#000000]Trixie remembered the day she had been told- shown, magically- the truth of the events on that day. To be fair, she had already been beholden to Twilight for saving her life then. But still, it outraged her to know that the Princesses had ordered destruction on such a scale. Small wonder they were retaliated against. [/colour][colour=#AFEEEE]"GEF casualties under the Red Fox have been minimal, under Twilight they have been as of yet zero if you assume- with very good reason- that this attack on the capital was by an outside force." [/colour][colour=#000000]She spat those last two words, shot evil eyes at both the Director and Free. [/colour][colour=#AFEEEE]"Now if any of you so much as pull a weapon in Twilight's direction, I will make your last moments on this earth hell."[/colour]

[/colour]

Free narrowed his eyes on Twilight. Now was the chance to make everything right, all of the death and destruction that had happened. But strangely, he couldn't find the strength to do it. "Another time Ms Sparkle, another time....." Free said to her, ignoring Trixie's threats. Without another word, he turned and began to walk off, ushering Striker on with him. "Call in all our forces, tell them to get the hay out of Equinia. The city is the GEF's problem now." He said quietly, not wanting Trixie to hear. It seemed a bit cold hearted at first, but after realising Twilight's goals he had changed his mind. "As far as we are concerned, we were never here." Free finished in a stern tone, now wanting some payback for whoever framed him.

[colour=#40e0d0]Chronarch[/colour]

His trek into the Aether wasn't nearly as bad as his first, that much was apparent because he was awake when he exited this time.

Chronarch began to stir on the ground, as he started to regain consciousness the first thing he noticed was that there was no pony around. The second thing he noticed was that Twilight's magical aura was extremely diminished and that another, familiar signature was near her's. The Archmage got to his feet and wiped from his nose and ears. He stood up on shaky legs and took a moment to gather himself. He started a spell that would rewind time around his wounds, but his injuries were mostly minor so he didn't bother to let the magic finish its job before teleporting to the Citadel.

Space separated right next Trixie and it seem like there was something were there should be nothing. After the space stabilized Chronarch appeared facing the Freelancers. The small cuts on his face were slowly reknitting themselves back together and the burned fur on his coat was reverting back to its originate stark white coloring. By now the guards and medical teams had began to arrive and start moving the survivors that Chronarch had placed in stasis. He looked around and spotted Twilight passed out on the ground. He looked to Free as he left the scene, then back the Freelancers, then finally at Trixie, who looked ready to attack. [colour=#40e0d0]"What's going on here?" [/colour]

[colour=#000000]----------------------------------[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Kaalia[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The winds whipped at Kaalia's cloak and threatened to blow her hood off. [/colour][colour=#ff8c00]"Of course, I just hope you can handle dragon magic flowing through you."[/colour][colour=#000000] For a pony to safe use dragon magic they had to form a unique bond with a member of the dragonkin or they risked unforeseen backlash. Kaalia had never experienced any of this because of her unique situation, so what she knew of it she learned from Karrthus. She waatched as Rainbow Dash Started to draw in the bracelets magic. Kaalia closed her eyes and felt for the Chancellors aura, once she had found it she linked them together and started feeding the pegasus magic. Dash only requested a little, but Kaalia was willing to give her as much as she needed.[/colour]