Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Nocturna

Nickname:
Nox

Sex: Female

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Red [colour=#be0000]#BE0000[/colour]

Coat: Sky Blue [colour=#99cae1]#99CAE1[/colour]

Mane/Tail: Blue/Ultramarine [colour=#2f6afd]#2F6AFD[/colour] and [colour=#0d42c8]#0D42C8[/colour]

Physique: Athletic, thin, tombyish, female facial features

Residence: Cloudsdale

Cutie Mark: Crescent moon with black wings on it.

SsFsP.png

Cutie Mark Story:

Nocturna was by far not the first on in her grade to get her cutiemark but she was the second one in her class. It appeared during a night she had trouble sleeping.

Nox went outside, despite her parents not wanting her to fly around in the night alone, hoping to find some nice place to spend a bit of the night. She descended to a lake and sat down on a tree. It was way past midnight. The crescent moon was reflecting in the water and the mare felt an unbelieveable inner peace, like never before and never again. When she flew over the lake, watching the moon move under her was the moment her cutiemark appeared.

It symbolizes her affinity to the night and her ability to fly.

History:

Her parents cared a lot of Nocturna when she was young and always tried to make her life enjoyable. They wished she would get "a good life" at some point and always told her they are looking forward to this. As a filly she thought her parents meant a successful career, fame, a family and the typical house on the hill with "a good life".

Instead of taking her life a bit easier with the support of her parents she felt pressured by their expectations and she worked hard to be good in school and stand out between the others. Once she was nearly done with flight school and could look back at some smaller accomplishments she applied for the Wonderbolts. The idea of acrobatic entertainment was wonderful to Nocturna. She always truly loved flying and showing off; being part of the Wonderbolts surely would give her the best of both. And it would fulfill her naive conception of "a good life".

But sadly the Wonderbolts rejected her; she might be good enough, but Nocturna simply didn't stand out enough to be considered special.

It hit her like a train. "Why was I rejected? How could this be happening?"

Then, after the shock had faded, resentment began to build inside her: "What did I practice so hard for? What is the use of all this?"

Her depression over the lost dream didn't last long fortunetaly and soon she carried on. Giving up on her dream of the Wonderbolts also burried her thoughts about acrobatic flying with it and whenever she could, she avoided the topic as much as possible because it still hurt her, remembering the rejection like it was yesterday.

As time passed she tried many different things to still fulfill her goal. She even tried more intellectual focused jobs, forsaking flying, but soon she realised that this was a huge mistake. Her parents never explained her what they meant with "a good life". And suddenly it was clear to her. They just wanted her to be happy with her life, but right now she was quite far away from happy.

This revelation was the turning point in her life.

Ever since she was only focused on what makes herself happy - that it often involves the well-being and satisfaction of those around her is merely a lucky coincidence.

Still she was unhappy and was desperatly looking for a way to gain some bits, since her parents didn't want to pay for her any longer - after all she was a grown up mare by now.

Some day there was a show which told the story of Nightmare Moon and how she became Princess Luna again. The show was performed by well trained actors and got Nocturna's attention, especially at the point where the six ponies were tested for their element and the Shadowbolts showed up to test one of the mares for her loyalty.

It reminded her of what her original dream was: Being part of a flying acrobatic entertainment group like the Wonderbolts. The job was paid well, she could do exactly what she always wanted to do and she was together with other pegasi that were equally skilled in flying and just as eager as her to show off their skills. But the Wonderbolts had rejected her... .

"There must be other good flying teams out there", she thought and did some research. Be it destiny or coincidence - she found the real Shadowbolts. That they perform a lot of their shows in the night at moonshine was only adding to her desire to join them.

Organizing a meeting with them, so she could show off her flying skills, she quickly convinced them that she was the right mare for them. After getting accepted Nocturna felt filfilled and trily happy for the first time after what felt like centuires of suffering.

W0Rlu.png

Character Summary:

Character traits:

At first you might call her selfish and arrogant. This is the picture she is unwillingly showing towards the outside world.

Nocturna simply doesn't care much for anyone else, but that doesn't mean she is your storybook egoist. It simply means she concentrates on what makes her happy. Helping an older pony crossing the street or making a gift to a friend is something that makes her happy and thus she loves doing those things.
  • Self-centered
  • Seemingly arrogant/selfish

One would ask: Why is she not taking care of presenting a different picture to the outside? The answer is that she doesn't care. What others think of her only matters to her in the rarest of cases and thus most ponies are not part of the group she would care about.
  • Independent

Her attitude is friendly and open. She will definetely judge someone upon how he or she looks, but Nocturna will not let it affect her attitude towards that pony until she gets to know them better.
  • Animated attitude

She gets furious pretty fast and it can take a while until she calms down. Things that make her furious easily: Obvious lies (e.g. excuses), allegations, unreasonableness, hypocrites. If you upset her you can count on her being angry and unforgiving.
  • Temperamental

You cannot describe her as impulsive since she thinks through most of what she does, but sometimes she is acting on a feeling rather than on pure reasoning. Or it could be that her intentions might be complex and you will wonder why she is acting that way.
  • Complex

Most distinctive about her is how different she can be. Sometimes she is as cold as ice and the next second she can be so heart warming you would melt in her embrace. It depends on the situation more than on other things.

Whenever she deals with a topic, she tries to see all sides, what leads to her ambivalent nature towards nearly everything. For example she doesn't actually care for the reactions or opinions of others, but she also likes to show off. Or the Wonderbolts - she started disliking them for rejecting her and for destroying the dreams of so many other pegasi, but they are still her idol because they represent values which are important to her.
  • Ambivalent

Nocturna is self-confident and everything but a hypocrite. She really hates hypocrites and once she sees through your lies you will have a hard time regaining her trust and respect. But it is not entirely impossible either. If you truly change and can show her that, she will forgive you.
  • Self-confident
  • Reasonably forgiving

Another important trait of hers is reasonableness and understanding - even if she has an entirely different opinion from yours she will accept yours and if she thinks you are right she doesn't hesitate to change her mind and admit that.
  • Open minded

As example:

She went to the Gala once and since then learned to appreciate fancy dresses instead of calling them a waste of money - she also got one made specifically for herself.

vHfX6.png

Motivation:
First it was her naive conception of "a good life". Later she found her true goal - simply being happy. And ever since this is what keeps her going, the need to be happy.

Dream:
After joining the Shadowbolts the only dream that remains for Nocturna is finding a mare she can love.

Fears:
Nocturna is afraid of failing at a flight show infront of everyone. The same way she fears losing her friends for whatever reason. Breaking her wings would also be on that list since she really loves flying and being bedridden for weeks would be terrible for her.

Parents:

Her mother is working in the rainbow factory and her father in the cloud factory. They do not take part in creating rainbows or clouds but instead are part of organizing the ponies and schedules. Both are intellectual people, not much interested in sports, acrobatic entertainment or flying other than to get from point A to point B. They never shared their daughters interests but always supported her. Nox thinks they are boring but does respects them.

Relationships:

In her time before she was an adult she only had two relationships. Both of them were with male pegasi and ended in what you would call a disaster. One only used her to improve his chances of making it through school, by letting her teach him nearly everything. And the other one was less interested in an emotional connection than Nocturna was - his interest was a bit more pubertal.

Nox never really dealt with what had happened and thus she surrounded herself preferably with other mares and eventually in one of her desperate phases she fell in love with one. The comfort she received stayed in her memory exactly like the disaster with the stallions. Since then she sees other mares as potential partners.

• Cherries
  • Bananas
  • Smoothies - in the best case consisting of the fruits listed above
  • Nighttime
  • Summer
  • Classical music
  • Romantic settings
  • Being creative - writing, arts, music, poems
  • Martial Arts - its her hobby/sport of choice
  • And of course - flying

Dislikes:
Find out yourself...
:)

Hello there. Your friendly neighborhood Helpstaff here.

I've read your conversation about the Shadowbolts, and while I wasn't around when they were popular, I can say that it's fine for your pony to be in other groups. The Wonderbolts aren't the only flight team in Equestria. Case in point, my pegasus was part of a team called the Aeroblades. So if you want to try to be a Shadowbolt that's fine.

My main concern with this app is the reference to several cast ponies. We don't allow characters having a previous relationship with cast or even OC ponies. So, the references to Nightmare Moon, Luna, and speaking to Rainbow Dash need to go. Instead you can say how Nocturna researched about flight teams and became intrigued about one called the Shadowbolts. It gives the same idea without the cast influence. Now of course while RPing her you can then certainly talk to RD or Luna or whoever.

All in all you have a good character and I can see you put the time in. Just a few changes and you'll be good to go! I will also see to, after these changes are made, asking about the Shadowbolts part with the other RP Helpstaffers.

I knew about the cast and OC thing, I just was not sure how strict that is. I thought that relationships were the thing thats a problem, not just having talked to one before. Also it was only RBD - I never said that Nox talked to Nightmare Moon/Luna or even saw them =P

the shadowbolts are pretty underground, so you might want to change her origin story, maybe she could have stumbled upon a show?

Very good idea. A show that tells the story of Nightmare Moon, like the Heart's Warming Eve episode told the story of the old race conflict. I will change that right now.

Okay, I changed it.

I have to say I am still concerned.

As far as I know it the Shadow Bolt stuff really died back then - and I want to to revive it, do I need to reference to the old stuff that happened (which I don't even know in particular, I just know the OOC thread) or can I just open a new era - a new thread with entirely new people (or maybe some old if they want to join)? Ugh that didn't come out like I wanted. I mean... does it have to be linked or can it be entirely apart from each other?

There is no Shadowbolt specific RP going on atm but you can RP her normally in slice of life RPs and keep her occupation as Shadowbolt member

Well, if my app gets approved there sure will be one *g*

I finally can express what I wanted to say all along:

I want to set a line under the old Shadowbolt topics (I think they are all closed and buried anyway) and create it from scratch. I PMed Tales about it since she has a sbolt character (Raven) and I'm not sure if she's okay with that, but besides this - there is no rule preventing me from doing this, right?

The case would be different if they were still active but I don't see they are.

I talked with Tales about that - I know what to do. Now I only need permission from Vinyl to change the lore and takeover for him - and of course the App approved.

Edited by Scythe

Hello.

Upon speaking with other Helpstaff members about the Shadowbolts, here's what has been decided.

The Shadowbolts has been an established group in the past. This means that other ponies have contributed to its formation. Wht you cannot do is rewrite what has happened in the past and make your character a leader all of a sudden. Now you can still be a Shadowbolt member and join, but to rewrite things means you have to get permission from those who first make the Shadowbolts team. You can of course create your own team as well.

I'd research the past Shadowbolts and see how you can incorperate Nocturna into it to continue the canon story.

• Like 1

Thanks Lux,

all that came to me yesterday already when I wrote with Tales about the topic. I decided to do what you suggested and you saying the exact same thing here again is showing me this is the right way to go. I did never intend to rewrite what has happened, I always wanted to take what happened and put it into my lore as the past.

I contacted Vinyl Scratch and I am waiting for him to answer now.

Once I have his okay to edit the lore and takeover as leader (he as leader can make me the new one I am certain :) ) I will contact all the other members of the Shadowbolts and ask if they are okay with that. Then I will talk to Manestream so I can edit the approved lore. I will take it - not change it - and say its the past. I will then add a few lines about the last year and how everything developed so it explains what happened.

A bit of reasoning (not so important): Vinyl Scratch had put a lot of effort in the Shadowbolts to be canon, but seeing that he is not active at all, I want to give the other members, who I partially talked to a chance to play their role as Shadowbolt. I read every single thread regarding the Shadowbolts as such and there never was a really successful one - to be honest, there was only a single RP that went a few posts and then died. This does not only sadden me, but other people too. In order to do something about it I have to take it into my hands.

I wrote this not-so-important part because I don't want to look like some random person who wants to forcefully takeover something, but save something that has the potential to be fun for a lot of people.

Well, the Shadowbolts part is a major point of your character so I see three options.

1) Ask permission to alter the Shadowbolts lore which may prove difficult considering how many were inviolved with that.

2) Just continue without changing, making Nocturna want to join the Shavdowbolts.

3) Make your own team where you can create your own lore for it.

The fact is that if you start your character in a team, you have to work with or create a new team as it's a part of your character.

Well I would go with option 2) by simply making my plan to rescue the Shadowbolts her lore. Like I would say it is her dream to have that team, but she also sees it already exists, but needs severe help to get back on its feet (its truth, so no editing necessary) and she has the desire to talk with their leader so she can take it into her own hooves - this also fits her leader personality very well. And from there everything will just develop dynamically. If Vinyl makes a sudden return and wants to keep leadership and Nox becomes a member, this will be her story. If he gives me permission to change the lore and takeover as a leader, then this will become her story.

Sounds good?

Important to RP Help Staff: For a short amount of time I set the app back to WIP since I needed to change a lot of things after talking with LordBrony9 and flutterscotch. A list of what was changed is below the app.

Edited by Scythe

Ok. Well, I can see how you want to keep things seperate with her name. Pegasus ponies have names often related to elements/ weather/ or speed.

Actually, I like Skywing.

Others are Swiftwing, Duskwing, Darkfeather, and Grace

Sorry Lux I didn't see your post - I didn't update the page for hours now I was just editing the initial post. But after a long time thinking I came to the conclusion that Nocturna is a very fitting name, that is not taken by any other OC yet. It comes from the word "nocturnal" which is indeed an english word and describes her quite well, just like other ponies names also somewhat describe them. Her nickname Nox comes from the latin origin of "nocturnal" - Nox, Noctis - Night.

TL;DR: I removed Nightshade, kept Nocturna.

Also the app is back to [Ready].

(I feel a bit sorry for you Lux, giving you the trouble of reading through it all over again :oops: )

well its much improved :)

with regards to the lore, believe me when I say that changing it is opening a can of worms that will slither all over the place and generally cause a ruckus, so don't.

this is what i propose: since the Shadowbolts is a performing troupe; its not too far fetched to suggest that all the members can be scattered around in different groups (the Cirque du Soleil has a number of troupes touring at any point in time, with their own support staff and reserves) so Nocturna can be in one show, while it can be hinted the inactive/non-participating members can be elsewhere in another production/on leave etc, or if it comes down to it put on the bus.

I don't want to be a nuisance but is there a chance you might forgotten my app?^^ Its ready since over a week, the last big edit is also a week back.

Regarding the Shadowbolts - everything has been cleared up by now, Vinyl has put me and Tales in charge over them and nya, I want to be able to finally set the Shadowbolts in motion - give them a flight show and an autograph session and all that fun stuff. That's why I'm a little bit impatient.

What I want to emphasize again because its probably unclear: I made the app so you can view it entirely apart from the Shadowbolt stuff. So we can finish this here first and then do the rather complicated part.

Also: I only want to add a few lines to the lore to depict the last year, not change the past.

I guess the delay is due to thanksgiving and season 3 - it's no problem. :) I just want to be sure I haven't been forgotten here.

You application is currently being reviewed. i'll check on the progress today to see what the results are. Fear not, I have not forgotten it! :)

A few things.

I fully understand your plight of "not wanting the whitespace in your application", but I have to ask you to make this all text. We can't and won't review it as images, and I told you that it was probably not going to fly in chat. It is not searchable, and if something goes wrong with your off-site images we have half an application.

Please edit this so that we can read it.

Also, the listing of her traits could be much more easily accomplished with descriptive, narritive text than a bulleted list.

Please let us know when it's edited.

Edited by flutterscotch

Hi! As much as I admire the time you've taken to make most of your application into an image format, we can't allow this for the following reasons:

• It's not easy to search or access. Applications are designed to be reviewed by other players in the course of the game.
  • We are unable to use images as a criterion for approving an application.
  • We can't modify image content without removing the entire image, or the image host may fail, causing this application to fail as well.

Please replace the images with text-format application content, or we will be unable to continue the review process for this character. Does this mean the images must go forever? Absolutely not -- you are welcome to link your images, or even put them in a spoiler, but for the sake of keeping to the accepted format we have on Canterlot, we will not accept an application formatted to be an image. Thanks!

I edited it back Rosie^^ and don't worry, I was mentally prepared for it.

Also, the listing of her traits could be much more easily accomplished with descriptive, narritive text than a bulleted list.

It first was just the descriptive text. Then I had the idea to extract her character traits out of each paragraph, so people who read it can choose wether they want to read why she is that way and how it affects her attitude exactly or if the just want a short TL;DR version. Maybe I'm the only one who likes it, but if not required I would leave it this way.