Fine Print [READY]

FlameddragoAG

fineprintfirstdraft_by_flameddragoag-d5mod26.png

Roleplay Type:World of Equestria

Name:Fine Print

Sex:Male

Species:Earth Pony

Eye colour:Dark Green

Coat: He was a grey coat colour with no other marks.

Mane/Tail:Brown colour for both mane and tail, both are kept reasonably short and Fine Print likes to keep it well groomed.

Physique:Somewhat thin and a little shorter than the average stallion.

Other: Has a pair of square-rimmed glasses that he wears at all times, sometimes likes to visit towns and cities around Equestria for ideas for his books via train.

Residence:Born and raised in Manehatten. Lives in a moderately sized house in the slightly lower class area of the city.

Occupation:An author who writes mystery novels, he makes through with his book sales. As selling his books don't help put food on the table, he also works as a waiter at a somewhat fancy restaurant called Manehattan's Finest.

Cutie Mark:An open book with a red cover, facing up, with a magnifying glass on the right side page. This explains his affinity for writing mystery books. This could also classify him as an 'open book', as he can be a mystery himself.

His cutie mark was earned in a simplistic way, but Fine Print was always proud of the moment. He was a young colt back in school, one who had a few friends to hang out with, but never one for personal hobbies to keep him occupied. Fine Print had come across a poster on the school wall. It had told him about a writing competition at school. The participants had to write a simple short story about anything, and hand in in their teacher. The winner then would be announced, and prizes were awarded. Now, he wasn't really one for doing work at school, but he suddenly felt a spark of interest. His friends had always told him that he had a vivid imagination, and he really didn't have much to do anyway. The winner would get a few bits as a prize and some grades, but Fine Print didn't care too much about that. All he really thought of it was a way to pass the time.

He spent a good chunk of time up in his room back at his house, thinking up ideas the entire night, throwing away paper after paper, none of his ideas working. It was time for dinner, and Fine Print was once again alone for dinner because his parents were busy again. Fine Print then noticed a newspaper on the table while he ate. He never really bothered to read the news, but the article caught his attention. It had explained about a theft from a museum in Fillydelphia, and that the pony was never caught. After reading this, Fine Print's mind started going, forming a plan in his head. He then ran from the table, forgetting about his dinner, and rushed up to his room and started writing again. He had thought about writing from the newspaper about the robbery, and adding a detective to solve the crime and other things Fine Print made up himself.

When it was time for school again, Fine Print submitted his paper with a look of surprise on his teachers face. To even more surprise, he was chosen as the winner, won the bits and extra grades, but turned down the bits, saying the he didn't need it and to give it away to somepony who needed it more. It was then that he finally earned his Cutie Mark after discovering his passion for writing mystery novels.

History: Fine Print grew up in the city of Manehatten, under the extreme wealth of his family. His father worked as an accomplished artist, making sculptures that sold for hundreds of bits, while his mother was in a musician in an orchestra, gaining her wealth and fame that way.

Fine Print and his parents both lived in a prestegious mansion, with butlers catering to their every will. Fine Print was never used to the high life that he lived, and was normally only taken care of by butlers and sitters while his parents were too busy to care about their only son. Because of this, Fine Print never had a real connection with any of his parents, and his only friend was one of the butlers of the mansion, whom he treated like a second father.

During his time in school in Manehatten, he kept a few close friends, but could never do well in school. He found school pointless and a waste of his time, not thinking he needed to learn anything taught to him. This kind of thinking stemmed from his parent's neglect, as they were to busy to help him understand the importance of school.

This continued on for a while until Fine Prints final days in school. He still considered school a waste of time, but managed to hold his grades high enough to pass high school. Fine Print then took a simple job at Manehattan's Finest, a three star restaurant as a buscolt, and moved out of his parent's mansion into a beaten down apartment room, sick of the high society, neglect, and constant snootyness of famous and rich ponies. He didn't care if he had to live a lower, more degrading life in the poor part of Manehatten, but it was much better than his life in constant high class.

Now, despite Fine Print's decidedly lazy and sarcastic nature, he was also known for his creative and imaginative mind. He was also fond of reading mystery novels as a young colt and earned his cutie mark writing one, as he often spending most of his time in class writing small stories to pass the time. He used his knowledge and skill in writing and tried to write his own books for more money to spend, and because of his experience in the trade. After publishing his first mystery book of a series he was planning, titled "The Oddities of Hoof Print", it was surprisingly a huge hit, and hundreds of copies were bought from various book stores across Equestria.

He had also kept his part-time job at the restaurant and is now working as a waiter, using his money to purchase a well-kept house in Manehattan, albeit still in the poor side of the city. He never wanted to be a part of the high class ever again.

Fine Print so far wants to live a free, laid back life, and to continue with his passion of writing books and getting good feedback that makes him feel ultimately good about him self and drives him to write more, and to hopefully get promoted at his restaurant. He soon hopes to open a book store one day when he gets the money, but so far likes how things are as of now.

Character Summary: Fine Print is a more serious pony, and gets to the point without running around it. He has more of a 'get the job done and get out' sort of attitude, and would rather not go out of his way for something.

He can be polite when he can and have good manners, but can be rather cold and distant when he is pulled away from his objective to do something else. This is especially prevalent when talking to anypony who has an air of snootyness, or somepony who looks rich or famous, as it reminds him of his parents. He also dislikes tomatoes, heights, and has a small fear of the opposite sex.

He enjoys relaxing at the oddest times, and enjoys the company of others when he wants it. If talking to anypony isn't on his mind, he's dead set on that and will focus on the task at hoof.

He can also be a bit crafty due to his knowledge of mystery novels, thinking outside the box and thinking through every outcome of a situation before coming to a conclusion. Sometimes this can also lead to pointing hooves, judging other ponies too quickly.

Fine Print enjoys what he does, writing books along with spending time under the stars in Manehatten. He also enjoys coffee, sleep, and spending time with friends, and his guilty pleasure is cupcakes. He also has a real knack for mouth writing, skillfully writing sentences across paper without smudging or drooling all over the place.

His fears consist of writing a bad book and getting bad sales, losing his glasses and heights. He also has a slight fear of snobby, high-class ponies, though he can handle their company well. They remind him of his parents.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm still editing him, but i've been busy so I don't have a lot of time to work on him. I have a good idea about his personality and history, just have to expand it a bit.

I'll change the tag when I'm sure he's good to go. Shouldn't be too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Flamedrago!

You've got a pretty great character here that is very close to approval, i just have a handful of questions about him that if you can clarify he should be approved shortly.

First is that I am going to have to ask you to cut the part about dropping out of school. It doesn't change much about the character, but since we're an all ages forum, and we have a lot of impressionable kids, we don't really want to cast it in that much of a positive light, even though it might be the best choice for people in real life. Just squeaking by is fine though, and leaving home the second he graduated without a really great plan other than winging it at being an author while having a day job is great. It shows us that unless he is working on mystery novels, he is totally squandering his potential.

I like that he is a product of the well-to-do, and decided to do his own thing without their help. In regards to his house, I just have a question I personally am curious. Did he have any money from his parents that went towards the purchasing of the house? It seems like on his salary he might be more of an apartment-dweller, but you can clarify there.

I definitely like that "Hundreds of copies" is a huge hit in Equestria though! That brings it down to a good level of successful enough, but not too successful that your character is immediately famous.

Just those two little things though, and you should be good to go!

Alrighty then, I changed some small things around like taking out the part of dropping school to just barely graduating, and instead of buying a house as soon as he left, changed it to buying a run-down apartment in the poor side of Manehatten, just because it made more sense. I also added some really small things, like his mouth writing abilities.

In regards to your personal question, he had always accepted the wealth and fame from his family as a child, but almost always unwillingly, as it made him uncomfortable and detatched from who he really was. He also didn't like their attitude, always gossiping and acting like they were friends with everyone, except he knew it was only for their own personal gain. Take Sweet and Elite and the behaviour from the Canterlot ponies. That was how Fine Print saw it. He didn't accept any help from purchasing his apartment room because for once, he really wanted to do something for himself that didn't involve just getting things thrown at him like it was nothing. He wanted to earn it by himself without the help from his parents money.

I really appreciate how much you like this app, I actually thought I wrote it kind of sloppily in comparison to the last app I sent in. Regardless, I'm happy that you like it! :)

Thanks for reviewing my app, and just let me know if it still needs some changes!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi [colour=#3c3c3c]FlameddragoAG[/colour]!

I appreciate all your hard work on this app! You have taken Flutterscotch's advice to heart and make the requested changes.

One question I'd like to ask (and this doesn't necessarily have to be written into this app) but I am curious, how is Fine Print's relationship with his parents? It was probably a big shock to them when he decided to up and leave them, so I was wondering about that.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the kind words, sorry for the late reply, but I'm good to answer your question. Maybe I should add this part, but when Fine Print was leaving, his parents acknowledged him leaving and started to realize what they had done wrong. They knew next to nothing of their son, and wanted to repair their relationship and try harder to spend time with their son, despite their work. Fine Print refused as they had just now noticed their son until he was leaving, and this had made him quite angry because of this. He didn't want anything more of his parents, and left. They haven't spoken since, and Fine Print has almost forgotten they ever existed. I might expand on it in an RP and make it so they meet again.

And on a shorter note, I think I put in that Fine Print and his parents never had a close relationship because of his parents work, and could never grow properly because of it. All he had was the butlers to talk to, that's it.

Should I put any of that in the app? Is it important enough to go in?