Absorption in Mane RP?

TemplarFrost

Hello, I have a question... It's a bit outstretched magical question. I'm not sure if it has been covered yet.

Is Absorption allowed for Unicorns in Mane RP? For instance, have you ever seen Ben Ten as a little kid? There is this kid who can simply touch a substance, and then it becomes is outer protective shell, or power. I was thinking if it's applicable in Mane RP for unicorns as well.

To answer your question, no. Since I like to be more helpful than that, I thought I'd point out this article to you. It should give you a different angle on how magic works in FiM, and how you can better apply it to your characters. The idea I'm trying to put across is that magic is commonplace, and that specialty spells and abilities (and by that extension, weapons) draw too much focus from what is really important: the character itself.

Kisses,

The Hive

• Like 1

Part of the problem, Templar, is that while your suggestions would be well and good, and the powers would make sense in an environment that is a lot more dangerous and full of strange powers (i.e. the Ben-10 or DC comics universes) where having to defend yourself in creative ways is the norm, the same really can't be said about Equestria. Except for the occasional marauding deity or mythical creature, the land's pretty peaceful so even if special talents and magic DO have a correlation (which is not necessarily the case)' you'd be hard pressed to find a pony that would even need this power. Even less powerful defensive spells (while many of them do pass the application process) just don't seem all that necessary, since any given unicorn with a strong enough handle on their ability to magically move things already has the upper hand. Even Shining Armor's defensive spell is pretty unique, not even for just the scale of it, but by virtue of it ordinarily being fairly unnecessary for the time in which he discovered it was his special talent. I actually postulate that it was his interest in the Royal Guard at an early age that even gave him the thought to even attempt a defensive spell, and that growing up somewhere other than Canterlot he might have turned out slightly different.. However that's a whole nature vs. nurture discussion that can be had at another time.

Unicorns having even just the regular old ability to levitate objects is pretty darn special in-universe. They already have the monopoly on magic. You don't need to make them more special or powerful but giving them even more powerful abilities. This isn't superhero comics, or a unicorn magical arms race. Your character's specialness is supposed to come from their characterization.

It s totally fine if you want to get a group together that all have powers in this vein, so that everyone participating in the story is a little more balanced in that respect, and RP in crossovers. But putting a character with this power in any kind of adventure thread in WoE would mean that he or she nearly always has a more powerful, power-based solution for any obstacle, which keeps the deck stacked constantly in your favour to save the day, or be the hero or star. And that's not always fun for other people who might RP with you. When we say powers are not acceptable, it's not because we want to be total fun-killers, it's partially so that the gulf of powers isn't too wide that someone's always taking the glory in every RP thread that focuses on magic they participate in, while keeping powers within with the tone and scope of the show.