Sandy Damage Pics

Darkwind

So I come from a beach. Went home for Thanksgiving and had to wait like 4 hours to ride a ferry because Sandy destroyed a road. On my way back out decided to pay up the $25 to be loaded on a trailer and pulled across the sand where the road is dead. Got a couple of cool pics.

MYj04.jpg?2

That used to be a road. And there was probably a good couple hundred feet of sand (with 10-15 ft sand dunes) between it and the ocean. I kind of like how it looks.

awsY8.jpg?2

Here's a house. I don't know how it's still here. I guess it was built to last. You can see the downstairs door and where the ground used to be. And for anybody that's seen it or knows about it, the house from Nights in Rodanthe used to be right next to this one before it was moved to a less "oh noes the ocean tried to eat me" area. The name of this house is The Black Pearl.

xWuWr.jpg?1

That's my mum's front yard in the wee hours of the morning during the hurricane. Everywhere you see water, there's grass underneath it.

Hurricanes don't mess around.

Oh, wow. That's both remarkable and terrifying at the same time. :!:

How is that house still standing?! That's amazing...

...and some really crazy stuff...

Here's hoping everyone's safe over there, now. Is hurricane Sandy over, now?

eeyup, been over for weeks nao

and wow...its hard to believe that my area got so little damage when were only a state away...

How is that house still standing?! That's amazing...

I have no idea.

The worst one I've seen was after Hurricane Isabelle in 2003.

This is what it did.

46_9_21_03_14.jpg

Had to get over to my grandparent's house in a little motorboat. When we were going across the sound, there was half of a house sitting in the middle, on its stilts, out of the water. You could see into the kitchen and still see the appliances on the counter and all the glasses hanging from the little glass rack thing some people have. It was weird. Actually if you look at the picture towards the top right I think that's the house right there. Living in a place like this makes you appreciate how strong of a force water can be.

The pictures I took during Sandy aren't as impressive in terms of damage, though I'm glad my neighborhood didn't get very bucked up.

Tree that crushed the back of some dude's car. lol at the random duck

54862_2532790415637_1409882316_o.jpg

Tree that fell about 4 doors down form my house. Luckily it landed near a driveway and no pony's car or house was damaged.

177285_2532787895574_144092909_o.jpg

617061_2532789055603_594639696_o.jpg

That was pretty much all the major damage that took place in my neighborhood. I think a tree fell on someone's house, but I didn't get any pictures since it wasn't in front of my house.