Mane vs Machine OOC thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, yes, this is still open. There's a bit of an issue that the full six person team has been apped, but so far only four of the six have posted in the actual thread. As of right now, the in-character thread is at a bit of a standstill since only three of us are posting, waiting for two more to join and one to start posting again.

I'd say make a character in a Word doc or something and wait to see if Kirby says anything about you joining. This is his thread, so I don't want to be all like "Yeah, you can totally join" and then he's like "Nooooo you can't join" and then there's a mess and get up, get on the floor and everybody walk the dinosaur.

*peeks in* hello...is this open i love tf2. *smiles a little then looks down.*

Heck yeah, this is still open. Climb aboard!

As far as I know, yes, this is still open. There's a bit of an issue that the full six person team has been apped, but so far only four of the six have posted in the actual thread. As of right now, the in-character thread is at a bit of a standstill since only three of us are posting, waiting for two more to join and one to start posting again.

I'd say make a character in a Word doc or something and wait to see if Kirby says anything about you joining. This is his thread, so I don't want to be all like "Yeah, you can totally join" and then he's like "Nooooo you can't join" and then there's a mess and get up, get on the floor and everybody walk the dinosaur.

That being said, I'm waiting for there to be six posting before I have the announcer start the count down. Trying to get TortoiseShell to stop dragging her feet, etc etc.

In the meantime, just because I've had this idea buzzing in my head for a while, in regards to to character concept, draw from unusual places in the game if you're having trouble. Like, from hats and miscs and secondaries. A baseball player Scouting for the team is easy. A former Soda jerk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk) is different! What if the wearer of the http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pyrotechnic_Tote actually was a pyrotechnic expert before picking up his Flamethrower? Be creative! I would love to see what you come up with!

[colour=#282828]Name: Widdlebiscuit[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Sex: Female[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Age: Young mare (17)[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Species: Unicorn[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Class: PYRO!!!!![/colour]

[colour=#282828]Eye colour: Gasmask glass Black[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Coat: Red latex[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Mane/Tail: Black[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Hat: Party Hat[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Loadout:[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Primary: Degreaser[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Secondary: Scorch gun[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Melee: The Neon Annihilator [/colour]

I'm almost tempted to start another map for a few reasons.

1: Give other people a chance to join, since this team's full (sans one, but you gave me the impression that you have one joining and s/he's working on it)

2: Play Scout (If I can remember it until then, dis gon b gud)

3: I'm in all of two RPs. I need moar!

I'm almost tempted to start another map for a few reasons.

1: Give other people a chance to join, since this team's full (sans one, but you gave me the impression that you have one joining and s/he's working on it)

2: Play Scout (If I can remember it until then, dis gon b gud)

3: I'm in all of two RPs. I need moar!

...I'm in, should this happen. I suddenly have plans for an Engineer. One of the bigger questions is whether to relate him to the Apple family at all.

Well, since it seems we now both have some fun character ideas we want to try, the question is now "Should I start a new OOC for it, or just use this one?"

And now that I'm thinking about it, a TF2-crossover general thread might not be a bad idea if we can get more steam (HA) behind this, but then we would either have to make ANOTHER OOC for the current one, Coal Town, or keep this the OOC for Coal Town and just make an entirely different ManeVM General.

Or maybe I'm thinking to much and should just make a new OOC for either Mannworks (Maneworks?) or Decoy (which is a strange case, because in TF2 canon it was made by The Soldier, who technically doesn't exist)

Well, since it seems we now both have some fun character ideas we want to try, the question is now "Should I start a new OOC for it, or just use this one?"

And now that I'm thinking about it, a TF2-crossover general thread might not be a bad idea if we can get more steam (HA) behind this, but then we would either have to make ANOTHER OOC for the current one, Coal Town, or keep this the OOC for Coal Town and just make an entirely different ManeVM General.

Or maybe I'm thinking to much and should just make a new OOC for either Mannworks (Maneworks?) or Decoy (which is a strange case, because in TF2 canon it was made by The Soldier, who technically doesn't exist)

Rather than clutter up the OOC forum, perhaps in application, there should just be a new section for which map you're playing on. And yes, Maneworks. Because I hate that map. It's a terrible map with too many tight corners, too many ways for bots to flank and no real way to reset the bomb. Perfect. Oh, and just because, I think my Engiepony's name is Tinker Tailor.

Sorry I haven't been posting as of much lately, school's been hectic and i've had a bit of a writers block. I'll try to get back into posting soon ;)

No worries, friend. Hectic is most of my life too.

Okay, well, since it seems that at least one other person is interested in starting a second map, why the heck not.

First, however,

Roleplay Type: Maneworks MvM

Name: Janice Windracer

Sex: Female

Species: Griffon

Eye colour: Green

Coat colour: Bright orange, like a ripe, well, orange.

Mane/Tail: Her feathers and fur, when not pushed flat by the wind in her face, is very frizzy, usually sticking straight up.

Physique: Very lean. Smaller than the average griffon (about the size of a normal stallion)

Occupation/Class: Scout

Hat: Hermes

Loadout: Scattergun, Pretty Boy’s Pocket Pistol, Bat

History: As the runt of the pack, Janice never had anyone to teach her to fly properly. So, she ran everywhere. Every. Where. She still uses her wings occasionally, but only to ever do a strange “double jump” where she flaps her wings in the air to get slightly higher than her normal jump. She was also never taught social graces, and often got into trouble for openly speaking her mind, for better or worse.

Because she was often very rude and a bit of a punk, Janice could never hold down a proper job. She managed to (somehow) get a job as a courier with the Hermes Acquisition and Transportation, or HAT, due to her freakish running speed. Often being sent on the deliveries to the shadiest spots in town, she started carrying a bat and a pocket pistol with her when she went out, should push come to firefight.

Almost regularly she did get into fights, too. Perhaps living in the slums had something to do with it, but that was beside the point. The point is that she killed a few guys and managed to get away with it. Except for that one guy, who apparently was actually rather important (but totally had it coming). Since being a murderer is illegal, she needed somewhere else to go. What other place would be better than Mane Co, those crazy guys that are hiring anyone with no questions asked to go fight robots? And what’s better, they’re giving her a shiny new gun to play with! Much better than her crappy pocket pistol.

Character Summary: A fast talker and an even faster runner, Janice is a delivery girl with an attitude. Although her intent may be pure, she has no tact, and will straight up tell you what she thinks of you, often accompanied by an insult. No stranger to violence, she will try and use her speed and freakish ability to double jump to fight you without you being able to touch her.

In hindsight, she's not much different than the actual Scout. But you know what? Screw it, I don't care.

Next, let me point you at the Maneworks thread.

Considering that everyone in Coaltown has had no experience fighting the robots, if some of them are also going to exist in Maneworks, then Coaltown should have come first, otherwise they would have had experience from fighting at Maneworks. That goes for the other two maps if we decide to do those too (Big Rock and Decoy), they would come after Coaltown and Maneworks, since anyone carried over to those two would have had experience fighting robots from the prior maps, while any new comers would still be inexperienced.

Also, in a somewhat unrelated point of interest, in TF2 canon both Red and Blu are working together, and the teams combined divide evenly into three teams of six. Before Big Rock was released, that was enough for every location to be covered at once. I thought that was neat.

Roleplay Type: Mane vs Machine

Map: Maneworks

Name: Tinker Tailor

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye colour: 'Pink as Hell'

Coat: Cobalt blue

Mane/Tail: Curly, long and unkempt. Tail cut short. A deep commitment to purple.

Physique: Above average height and a little stocky. Too many donuts.

Occupation/Class: Engineer and toy maker.

Cutie Mark: Two interlocking gears.

Loadout: Rescue Ranger/Wrangler/Stock Wrench. Wears the Industrial Festivizer, Idea Tube and the Teddy Roosebelt.

History: Tinker Tailor was born with a beautiful curiosity about the inner workings of the modern world. That's good. He was also born with poor impulse control. That's bad. His delight over machines would cause him to cause random acts of destruction on alarm clocks and the like just to see the cogs inside turning. This behavior would unfortunately bleed into the young colt's social life, leaving the toys of a few friends dead. He was quick to realize his heel realization though, rushing to salvage both the wind-up pony figure and his friendship. His compulsion to deconstruct became a new found love to build. Good as new! And a cutie mark to boot! As he grew to a fine young stallion, he became the local Mr. Fixit, able to repair anything from faulty plumbing to engine blocks to grandfather clocks. It was a challenge at first but became a bore very quickly. His real passion was still in toy making.

A decent profit was made selling his designs. Some improvements on best selling cube puzzles, plus a wide variety of mechanical board games and budding novelty electronics to name a few. The bits from this would fund his more daring projects, which allowed his creativity to flourish. One inspiration persisted: his first repair of the wind-up toy. And it budded into a concept only read about in science fiction: robotics. What if he could market fully functional self operating machines to the market? Eagerly he proposed ideas to any company that profited from his work, though none nibbled without some kind of prototype. His idea seemed dead before it began.

But what's this? Rumors were floating around about an army of machines threatening the livelihood of his friends and neighbors. It certainly explained why some were packing up and leaving their families as if it were a wartime draft. What if these rumors were true? His mouth practically watered at the idea of reverse-engineering these monsters into a child's plaything! A few inquiries and an acceptance letter from one "Saxton Hale" later, he was sent an ID card as well as the blueprints to several astounding inventions. He would familiarize with them along the way the battlefield.

Character summary: Tinker Tailor possesses a friendly and bubbly personality, tending to give off a 'few sandwiches shy of a picnic' vibe. It comes from the fact that he spent most of his time growing up in front of a tool box and pastel paints, rather than outside having a life. He tends to ramble and when not intently focused on his engineering, his mind tends to wander and will begin playing with the few action figures he has stashed in his tool box.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a side note, I would like to point out that no, I'm not playing a male Pinkie Pie. I'm playing a not-murderous Toyman. Superman villain. Look him up. :D

Roleplay Type: Maneworks MvM

Name: Edd Shawt

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye colour: Aqua

Coat colour: Darkish Brown

Mane/Tail: Black Slicked down hair, very stylized

Physique: Quite tall and lanky

Occupation/Class: Sniper

Cutie mark: A small red dot in the middle of a black circle

Hat: Professional's panama

Loadout: Sydeny Sleeper, Jarate, Tribalmans's shiv

History: Edd always wanted to professionally shoot,ever since he was a foal, so he trained with a rifle until he could hit an apple off a tree 2 kilometers away (It may of not been the tree he way AIMING at, but it still counts) Eventually he got into the Equestrian shooting competition, and he won by default because his competitors had some nasty "Accidents". So he was on his way to becoming the best sharpshooter in the world (Or at least he thought) Until finally he got to the Equestrian Olympics, he was pumped and ready to win, he had not felt this exited since he got rid of the comp- erm...since he hit that...bird...He was ready to win! He hated loosing, that's why he doesn't like competition. He does like gloating how ever, and this is why he wants to win the Equestrian Olympics

There was a problem however was that he thought the "Targets" were those silly ponies with those red shirts, not those boring non-moving circle things, what was the challenge in that! I mean they aren't moveing or trying to get away from you, never mind trying to shoot back! After he escaped from the raging fans and the authorities, he decided to take up a job more...suited to his talents, picking up a rifle that doesn't care witch part of your target you hit. He wins every time, adn if he doesn't, he makes it look like he won.

Character Summary: If there is one thing that Edd hates it's loosing, through and through Edd likes to think of himself as a winner, It doesn't matter what happens in the end as long as Edd thinks he is on top he doesn't mind. Edd will go to great lengths to win, whether it is taking out the other competition or bending the rules, to him Skill is just one of the many ways to win.

(I talked to Korok123 and he said it's ok to join in ^^)