"Preparing" for Fallout: Equestria?

Sparkleheart

(Figure this is as good a forum as any for this. Feel free to move it if I'm wrong.)

So. I'm about to embark on the grand quest that is reading Fallout:Equestria, and something occurred to me. I haven't played any of the Fallout games (though I have a copy of Fallout 1 around here somewhere). Would I appreciate the book more if I'm familiar with the setting and whatever story elements it borrows? If so, I might try and play me some Fallout before I get started.

What do you all think?

You don't really need to play a Fallout game to like it, but it would make it more enjoyable and easier to understand. The book borrows heavily from Fallout 3 and makes a few references to in-game elements. Most of them are minor and wouldn't matter if you didn't understand them. But it is fun to spot those little things out and see how much thought was put into the book.

But now you've fell into a trap. You read the story first, you'll wan't to play Fallout 3. You play Fallout 3, you'll wan't to read the story. Mr. Bone's wild ride never ends. You're stuck here forever.

3766432+_21704b348f29ca0dcb0e840ed05c8756.jpg

Nope. The story is original and contains no spoilers to Fallout 3. Some characters are based of in-game ones. I.E, FoE has a DJ called DJ-PON3, who bears a slight resemblance to Fallout 3's DJ 'Three dog'. But that's as far as it goes. So it does't matter what you play or read first. Fallout 3 is a great game and I recommend playing it (It was made by Bethesda, so its an 'Oblivion style' rpg) and fallout Equestria is one of the best MLP Fictions around.

Sweet. If you enjoy it be sure to check out the rest of the 'big five'. These are the stories the original author of FoE reckons are the best of the best, they are:

Project Horizons by Somber

Heroes by no-one

Murky No. Seven by Fuzzy

Pink eyes by mimezinga

Are you ****ing kidding me.

LOL, well just get into the original FoE before you decide to tackle Project Horizons. And just to echo what Penumbra said, you don't have to have played any of the Fallout games to appreciate FoE. I've only played a couple hours into FO3, and I only started playing it because of FoE. I've also read all the the "big five" stories there, and they are all good, but I'm only about 1/2 way though MN7. PH is rather more gory, MN7 can be downright depressing, and Pink Eyes is more of a comedy. There are many many other side stories out there too, so it just depends how much you find you enjoy the series.

Well that's too bad. Would I be left on some kind of cliffhanger if I stop there, though?

Yep. But lets not worry about that now. You're about to start reading one of the longest mlp Fan-fictions ever. You're gonna want all of your mental power. Maybe one day i'll go on a rant about how PH is actually poorly constructed and a prime example of how too much creativity can ruin a perfectly over the top story.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...