Luminous Charge (WoE - Ready)

Elderflower

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Luminous Charge, Lume to friends, Ominous Charge to his siblings.

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Bright green.

Coat: A very glossy, dark brown. Rich chocolate tones come out in direct sunlight, but in average lighting one could easily mistake his coat for black. The feathers of his wings match his coat in colour and glossiness, and of course he keeps them perfectly preened!

Mane/Tail: This strutting peacock is very conscious of his appearance! He has a very voluminous mane and tail, both in a striped pattern with dark chocolate and light grey tones. His tail is very long and healthy, but he keeps his mane cut short to keep it more manageable and to keep it out of his eyes.

Physique: Tall and thickly muscled. Though he is quite the peacock, Lume is an honest worker and has laboured hard in his profession. As a sculptor he is all too familiar with heavy lifting and grinding and polishing minerals, and that is exactly how he has worked up his bulky frame. As a result of his weight, his wings have also become extremely powerful – he enjoys flying as a means of exercise outside of work and with the weight of his muscles those wings had to beef up to be able to keep him in the air!

Residence: Lume has a stunning villa (home to his studio) in Trottingham. It’s close to Cloudsdale, where his family lives, and despite a lack of patience with the noisier tourists he has a huge softspot for the beauty of the Nimbusgait Lakes.

Occupation: A fulgurite sculptor!* Lume first discovered the beauty of fulgurite (or petrified lightning) on the shores of the Nimbusgait Lakes, and it didn’t take long for him to obsess over the bizarre natural forms. Over time, he learned to harness the power within lightning clouds in order to roughly guide the shape of the fulgurite – a long process that got him in trouble more than once! Messing with the weather, after all, made him quite the nuisance! Though he never did anything on a scale big enough to make his work anything more than an annoyance, luckily. He was tempted to push his luck more than once, but refrained from doing so.

His current work involves a highly controlled environment; in his studio, he controls exactly what types of sands he’s using and what goes in the sand, giving him a better ability to create more polished-looking results. He creates large organic structures in very deep sand pits, and any truly rough spots on the whimsical tubes he creates he sands and polishes to make it glow. Of course, he often works with the rough look of the tubes as well, usually combining the polished and natural appearances.

Lastly, Lume has met with a fair bit of success as an artist, allowing for his impressive home and studio. I feel it is also important to mention that since his pesky interferences with the weather for art as a young colt, he began ordering lightning clouds directly from the Cloudsdale Weather factory on special commission!**

* I would like to point out that I am no expert on petrified lightning. I understand that the natural formations are rather “ugly” and rough looking, and the appearance of a natural, glass-like product is very rare. However, as I would like more diversity in Lume’s work as an artist (and because I feel like more polished artworks are a good reflection of his peacock nature) I was hoping to use selective sands and a bit of Pegasus power to say he is able to get larger scale sculptures that are very glass-like in appearance. Also, selective sands just means he has control over the levels of minerals such as silicates. If this bending of science is unacceptable, I would be more than willing to find alternatives for Lume’s sculpting practices.

**I am not overly familiar with lore regarding the Cloudsdale Weather factory. If large-scale lightning cloud commissions aren’t fitting for the lore please tell me and again I will try to figure out a work-around! I understand that this fulgurite deal seems pretty out there, haha.

Cutie Mark: A tangled mass of what looks like clear glass tentacles (much like Dale Chihuly’s work, which I’ll show an example of below!) with a lightning strike radiating in the centre. Lume’s cutie mark appeared fairly late in his colthood, during a difficult period in his youth. He had absolutely no passion in his life beyond wanting desperately to prove his worth. One day, while struggling with a lighting cloud he was meant to clear away from the Nimbusgait Lakes, he accidentally pounded out a huge charge of electricity and battered the sandy shore beneath him. Rattled, but very pleased that nopony had been around to get injured, Lume was drawn away from his cloud to the scorched sand beneath him. He had no idea where this sudden enchantment had come from, but the solid edges which had formed in the ground seemed to call to him. First, he waited for the sand to cool. It didn’t take long for his patience to all but disappear, however, and he rushed off to finish his job and head home. What an odd thing, for a pony to be so obsessed with a fanciful scorch mark!

2zgezw8.png

He couldn’t resist the call coming from that black mark, however, and raced back there as soon as he woke the next morning. The ground had cooled and he dug into it immediately, discovering a weirdly shaped, rough mineral tube with a dark, glass core. The shape fascinated him! Fondly, he held the object in the sunlight and inspected it from all angles, feeling the strong pull of obsession. Almost immediately after he saw the shine of the glass core his cutie mark appeared and he knew he would spend the rest of his life working with petrified lightning!

History: Luminous Charge is the third child to a Pegasus couple with a great passion for all things weather-related. His father works in the Cloudsdale Weather factory while his mother prefers working out in the skies, keeping the weather in check from day to day. His older brother and sister (who are twins) took after his mother, leaving him the odd one out in the family. From a young age he always wished to stand out from his siblings, knowing that he had no passion for controlling the weather like his parents. At least, he had no passion for controlling the weather in the more conventional pegasus way!

When his cutiemark appeared he finally understood himself and his place in the world. He began dragging lightning clouds to any patch of sand he could find to make more and more fulgurites until eventually he decided to attempt sanding and polishing them or piecing them together. Though he often got in trouble for swiping clouds and disturbing the weather from time to time, his parents were too fascinated by the bizarre talent their son had to attempt restricting him. And besides, this was clearly the destiny his cutie mark had in store for him! They just…didn’t quite understand the situation. They weren’t particularly artistic ponies.

Soon enough, citizens from around Cloudsdale and Trottingham began to notice Lume’s work, and some of the ponies on the pulse of the art world even wanted to buy what he was making! Everything snowballed from there – some of Canterlot’s elite took an interest in him and purchased his art for some of the more glamorous galleries, and then he was applying for grants to fund even larger scale works. Eventually, he had enough money for large studios and massive amounts of supplies for his work! Once he had saved up enough, he settled permanently into his Trottingham villa where he has been working ever since.

He has begun to grow bored with his situation, however, and is beginning to realize that what he longs for the most is a student. He would love to pass on his art form to an eager young pony, and the extra help would mean less grunt work for himself (which would satisfy his inner peacock as well, something that has been growing since he first started visiting Canterlot for exhibitions and gallery openings).

It is, perhaps, loneliness that drives this desire to take on a student. Though he can share his hard work with others by having his art on display, he cannot share the joy of making with others, something that leaves him feeling increasingly more empty. There is nothing he wishes for more than to see the same joy he feels on the face of another as they create their first piece of fulgurite!

Character Summary: Luminous Charge can be quite the intimidating pegasus. His large, muscular body and dark hues earned him the nickname “Ominous Charge” from his siblings, and his stern, silent composure doesn’t help matters. Getting to know him, however, makes it very clear that he’s not stern at all – he only appears so. He is, in fact, just a quiet individual. He spends a lot of time living and working by himself, which has left him a touch socially inept. Lume is definitely a stallion of few words. But don’t start thinking of him as shy! He definitely has a peacock streak, causing him to fuss over his looks and recognize that he’s got them. He may not mind hard work but he’s grown awfully bothered by how sweaty and dirty he gets – it makes his appearance that much harder to maintain, and it certainly takes away his opportunities to dress up! That said, he still passionately loves his work – he’s just gotten a bit vain over the years.

In the art world, he’s very good at maintaining a suave, professional air. He comes off as a bit cool and distanced, but he is very eager and willing to answer any questions one may have and he is certainly always willing to help anypony out whenever he can. He simply doesn’t know how to come off as a friendly pony!

Aside from his work, his few hobbies are reading, flying, and traveling around Equestria in search of inspiration!

28clxfr.png

Hello, Lux here.

You have an interesting Pegasus pony, but I need a clarification about his skill. Are you saying that Luminous uses lightning from a cloud to scorch sand or other material to make art?

That's exactly it! He's uses lightning from clouds to scorch sand. I should have been more clear about that. The sands that he uses are all chosen specifically for their mineral contents, so he just has more control over what he's going to make (different mineral contents/levels in send will yield different results).

You're welcome. And yes it is rare to make apps that require no adjustments, and even rarer having two in a row.