Could Equestria be an alternate universe?

emeraldshadows

I saw this on another forum. The title explains the thread. According to the multiverse theory, cartoon worlds like Equestria might ACTUALLY be real. Not exactly FiM Equestria, but close enough. One big problem I see is that we won't find out for a LONG time even with technology's rate of progression.

Equestria is just a fictional country, (not a world) and no one is sure if it exists. And even so, it doesn't always mean that it's occurring on a different universe, it might even be closer than we think.

But then again, no one is certain if it actually exist. Just think it as something fictional for now.

Does that mean the dirty versions invented by Cloppers are also real?

I'm guessing alternate universes doesn't include fandom.

The only way in which a world such as the one shown by My Little Pony could exist is if the universe surrounding it had laws of physics that completely defied our own. As scientific understanding of such phenomena as gravity and biologic development continues to cement itself to further and further depths of understanding, it seems increasingly improbable that a different universe would have a completely different set of physical laws binding it.

• Like 1

I can say without a doubt that there are an infinite number of universes.

Some are just like our own... but for one or two significant events' date=' exactly the same.[/i']

- Lex Luthor, Injustice: Gods Among Us

As much as I love My Little Pastels, I wouldn't exactly want us to discover the actual existence of a universe in which Equestria was a reality. It's not that I wouldn't want it to exist, I'd be quite happy indeed knowing that such a wonderful place could. But if man does create a way to verify that parallel universes exist, one would want to go to it. Surely, it would become the one true "Final Frontier." If humanity was successful in finding a way to go to another universe, the greed of man would want to perverse innocent worlds for their own selfish needs. You could say that we'd be opening Pandora's box.

For those of you who have no idea what the Multiverse Theory is and don't want to read some boring Wiki, I'd suggest watching the following video

This universe does not exist. Just as Halide's stating, the laws of physics cannot be simply neglected. Simple example: If we assumed laws of physics can be altered freely, wouldn't there be a universe which, at some point of time, simply creates passages to different universes 'because it can'? Keep in mind: "Multiverse" does not mean that you can come up with whatever idea you'd like and take as granted that it exists somewhere out there. 'Different' parallel universes, if at all, should be treated according to the "What if?" rule.

• Like 1

Equestria is just a fictional country, (not a world) and no one is sure if it exists. And even so, it doesn't always mean that it's occurring on a different universe, it might even be closer than we think.

But then again, no one is certain if it actually exist. Just think it as something fictional for now.

I'm guessing alternate universes doesn't include fandom.

The FiM version was influenced by Faust playing with her toys as a child. Does that count as fandom? If not what does?

Pretty much what Halide and Volt said. There are several universal principles that cannot be ignored. There are many theories to multiverse, multiple timelines, bubble universes, string theory and so forth. In the end they all follow the basic tenants of physics. MLP:FiM does not. But you know what? Let's humor this idea and get theoretical...

So, for argument's sake, let us say that it was possible for there to be different physical principles in an alternate universe. OK! So we now have a universe in which the laws of physics function differently from our own. Now... what about life? Can the same multicellular life still occur? Would it still occur in the same way? While possible, the probability is infinitesimal. We evolved through a very specific set of circumstances, and any life not yet discovered in our universe did the same. All governed by the same physical and chemical principles. Changing any variable of that would change the process of evolution, and thus life itself. Heck, we wouldn't even know if DNA would form in a universe in which the various scientific principles weren't the same. Life on earth occurred because of a set of very specific occurrences happened. And I'm sure the same can be said of anywhere else in the universe, even if it is new life that is not based in the same basic principles as the carbon based life on Earth is.

So even IF by some crazy idea that some other universe exists with a planet like Earth, and physics to match MLP:FiM, the question would become, would life present itself in the same way, if at all? The answer is highly unlikely, near impossible. So while the idea is lovely, I choose to not delude myself.

0815-sci-webSCIILLO1.jpg

With that little example shown, I like to think that everything we can possibly imagine exists at some time, at some place. I feel like there's a close relationship to the existance of parallel universes and our own thought processes. It's very difficult for me to explain, since I'm not very good at explaining stuff. It's like if we think of something, even on a subconscious level, we've unknowingly created a new universe, just by thinking about it. It makes no sense, and yet makes perfect sense at the same time. I wish I could articulate my thoughts better than this ridiculous mish-mash of junk.