Receiver - An Interesting Gun Sim

A new came out recently on Steam: Receiver. It's an interest little game for only about $5. I saw Total Biscuit's "WTF is...?" of it and it intrigued me. I bought it this morning and I find the game both insanely charming, hilariously compelling, and endlessly infuriating. I was wondering if any of you guys tried it and was wondering what you thought of it.

I love it, even though I'm cursing half the time. In all the FPS' I've played I'm always entranced by the reload animations. The way that one reloads can truly give off the feeling of a gun having weight and believability overall. So when I heard about this game, I thought it'd be a charming little title to add to my library. I mean heck, it was only $4 on steam so why not right?

The whole process of reloading is both enjoyable and incredibly annoying. But what I love most of all is that I can actually check my magazine to see how many rounds I have left. In the games I have that contain a 'realism' mode or where you can turn off the hud, I find it heart breaking that I can't simply check my magazine to see how many rounds I have left. It's a nifty little feature and should definitely be included in games that brag about realism. Aiming feels awkward as well, I find myself missing my targets more than hitting.

Overall though, I'm enjoying this game because of how good it feels after it all sinks in. When you successfully reload while backpedaling yourself into a wall and squeezing your last shoot into a flying drone, it's SO satisfying! I have yet to collect more than two tapes though :roll:

I have to disagree with you on just one point. I think the aiming feels rather smooth. Somehow it feels more right to me than the standard FPS aiming method. So far my favorite moment I had was reloading the revolver while walking down a hallway, checking for kill-drones. I only noticed after I'd finished that I hadn't actually been looking at the revolver. It made me feel like I knew what I was doing and just a general bad-ass.

Another thing I really love about the game is I feel as though it's got a survival-horror feel that just about beats anything. Combat is hard, ammo is painfully scare, you die in 1 hit, enemies are everywhere, and movement itself can be a challenge. It was incredibly tense running from one of those flying drones. I didn't manage to drop it before it got to me. :<

I plan to buy it later today. Looks like a very interesting game, and I love seeing how fast I can memories long strings of macros like these.

EDIT: Just bought it. Gonna let it download while I go out, and play it once I come back and do my homework!

EDIT: Nevermind yet again. It's already downloaded. Ohhh, now to untempt myself before I finish my homewoooooooork!