A unique experience at the mall.

pollo20x6

Today I went to a comic book store that I used to go regularly with friends, but what made this time special was that now I was into MLP, which started three weeks ago.There was enough MLP stuff that made this trip, to a store that I was so familiar with, interesting. There were comics, figures and stuff like that. Nothing I was really interested in buying, but definitely stuff I was interested in just checking out. The funny part was that I was with friends who don't really "know" that I like this stuff (I've told them it's a good show, but they didn't take me seriously and that I was joking). So while they were checking out stuff like Magic cards, pokemon cards, you know, stuff that guys would normally check out, I was pulling a Solid Snake and sneaking around. While checking out one of the MLP comics, I noticed one of my friends coming over and with little time to react, I put it down and picked up a ninja turtles comic that was right next to me. I don't know why I did that (though I am proud of my reaction speed) but it was almost instinct. I didn't think about it. I just switched on impulse. I wanted to have been like "yeah, so what?", but I didn't. I couldn't.

Has anyone else had a similar experience where you were caught checking out mlp stuff and how'd that turn out? Were you able to brush it off or were you able to hide it quickly?

Well... yeah. ^^;

Last Saturday I went to Build-A-Bear Workshop to build myself a Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. (Though, they were out of stock for Pinkie Pie)

During the whole process, parents gave me a "What the hay?!" look and children were confused and scared. I was so embarrassed, but when Rainbow Dash was finished, I twirled around the whole store with it, making a bigger fool of myself. But you know what? It was totally worth it. :)

Well, you know, at that moment. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be saying that if they called security for them thinking I was a you-know-what. :blush:

I understand how overcoming perception and breaking gender barriers etc. is difficult, but I think everyone owes it to themselves to enjoy whatever they like -- to celebrate it -- and brush off any criticism they may face from friends, family, and public because of ignorance. My suggestion is to enjoy whatever you want normally, and if you get any questions, answer honestly without volunteering anything extra. Just a simple "I really like this show, it's got great characters, quality animation, and an amazing story." Don't try to explain what a "brony" is or treat it like something weird to be ashamed of; just business as usual, which is what it should be.

If you act differently about something and try to hide it, people will treat you differently by default because that is the expectation you're setting up for yourself.

Yeah...And I'm always telling myself those things like its ok and to enjoy whatever I like. But this is the first time I've ever been like jumpy over something haha.

Like the same day, we also went to a walmart and I started riding a children's tricycle around cuz I have the mentality of "whatever :D". Its not that I care what others think of me, which makes yesterday that much more interesting. Those gender boundaries. Deep down I must care.

But both your replies inspire me.

Kodokuna, if I could, I would have been right there with ya. Freaking out, most likely, haha but dang...I could never do what you did. :/ (least not yet :D) Were you alone or with friends?

Yeah...And I'm always telling myself those things like its ok and to enjoy whatever I like. But this is the first time I've ever been like jumpy over something haha.

Like the same day, we also went to a walmart and I started riding a children's tricycle around cuz I have the mentality of "whatever :D". Its not that I care what others think of me, which makes yesterday that much more interesting. Those gender boundaries. Deep down I must care.

But both your replies inspire me.

Kodokuna, if I could, I would have been right there with ya. Freaking out, most likely, haha but dang...I could never do what you did. :/ (least not yet :D) Were you alone or with friends?

Wow, I actually have never rode a trike before. Props to you!

Uh... I was with my mother and my sister who pretended not to know me. :blush:

You gotta believe in yourself, man!

Aw. That sucks. My mum probably would do the same. Haha.

And I do gotta believe myself. Whenever someone asks if I like mlp I automatically say no. It comes out like a sneeze. Uncontrolled. And then ill start rambling about how I don't really mean no and etc. etc. But I never give a straight answer, even if I want to. I guess its true what they say. Real men admit they like mlp. Cuz they're not afraid of nothing. :D

this situation i really kinda had at this years comic con in london, i went with my dad and my friend and i was fan boyin inside of all the pony merch and cosplay, i so wanted to by but i think my dad would have given me the look of scorn and confusion, my mate kinda knows i love mlp, so when i was looking at the mlp t shirts he was like " look Jake its your favorite show" ! sigh... oh well :D

this situation i really kinda had at this years comic con in london, i went with my dad and my friend and i was fan boyin inside of all the pony merch and cosplay, i so wanted to by but i think my dad would have given me the look of scorn and confusion, my mate kinda knows i love mlp, so when i was looking at the mlp t shirts he was like " look Jake its your favorite show" ! sigh... oh well :D

Well, at least your father isn't extremely against it. :D

Also, your friend sounds nice. :3

yeah man i got really anxious but dude i have mad probs for you going into build a bear to buy a rainbow dash,, may i ask whats it like, i really want to do it, you could have thought of an excuse like its for my daughter or something lol. but hiding brony'ness isnt nothing to be ashamed off, but mabey take the edge off the purchase plus the looks one might receive

yeah man i got really anxious but dude i have mad probs for you going into build a bear to buy a rainbow dash,, may i ask whats it like, i really want to do it, you could have thought of an excuse like its for my daughter or something lol. but hiding brony'ness isnt nothing to be ashamed off, but mabey take the edge off the purchase plus the looks one might receive

Lol, if I told them this was for my daughter, then I would really be in trouble.

I just graduated from High School last Thursday, making me a freshly-made adult, and you know, if you do the math, me having a child would be a no-no. XD

But thanks for the compliment!

Actually, I'm quite open and most people already know I like MLP. I don't really care if my friends see me buying MLP comics or cards. In fact, I feel quite proud for being part of the MLP fandom. What I don't do is that I try to intentionally show MLP related stuff like it's important to be a brony or something.

Plus, you don't need to go total Assassin when your purchasing MLP merchandise. It's no different from buying stuff from other fandoms like Adventure Time, and just take your item and move along. No need to be sneaky at all.

I don't want to be sneaky. Sneaky just sorta happens. It's hard to explain...like how I said I quickly put down the comic without thinking it of instinct. I regret doing that because I should have been honest with myself. The sneaky was just as instinctive. And I regret that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically yeah, you're right. Like I'm a huge fan of the ninja turtles and I openly admit that its weird, but since its generally seen as a guy thing, its a lot harder to make fun of. Especially when seen next to mlp, a show which had a rep for being one of the girlier products in pop culture.

I was browsing Hot Topic with some friends. (They all liked the show) The staff were looking at us in the weirdest way! Later, one of my other friends bought something and the cashier asked "what's up with all of this My Little Pony stuff?" She responded "because it's awesome!".

Great response!

Today I went to watch the equestria girls movie in theatres, but I had to go alone.

Most terrifying exp. ever. Even though practically everyone was a brony or pegasister, I still felt awkward...I can't do anything mlp related with people watching. I wish I could be more like your friend, lemonypony.

I really don't shop for many MLP related things. I do check to see what is new though. When I go to a store, I don't see many giving me weird looks. Most probably think I'm shopping for someone else or they're wrapped up in their own shopping that they don't really care. I think that I stress myself out with how others think of me.

I normally ain't buying them either, once collected, I have the urge to get the others as well, Mane 6 will not be complete if buy only 1, that kind of urge. And if not, I wouldn't mind getting a proper plush, pony forms have too many to pick a favorite, so I'm talking Twilight in Equestria Girls form, BUT only if she were at least 32 inches tall, not 6 inches as seen in the official new toy.

Archived