The Fires of Friendship (Ended)

Lux

Fire Heart stood in the middle of Clover Park, a place that was nearby Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns where she lived and studied when class was in session. As she gazed upon the statue of Clover the Clever, a unicorn that was known to have studied under Starswirl the Bearded and a pony Fire Heart looked up to, she thought about her life. She had learned much at the school and was slowly understanding how to control her wild fire magic. Yet there were few who understood her fire magic. There was a soldier pony she once met named Bonfire and a pony named Spirit Flame who she made friends with.

"I wonder if there's any other pony who has fire magic like me," she said, "Maybe another friend."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pyro Blaze wandered Clover Park, just out for a walk. He had always enjoyed walking around this park, especially coming to see the statue of the famous unicorn the park was named after. Pyro also came here to practice his fire magic in peace, away from anypony that could get hurt from it. He had pretty good control over it, but it did tend to get wild when he was angry. Using his ability is the most effective way for him to calm down, since the fire seemed to use his anger as extra fuel to become stronger.

As he approached the center of the park, Pyro noticed a red mare that seemed lost in her thoughts. Pyro passed her just as she said she had fire magic, causing Pyro to pause just past her. He decided to introduce himself to this pony, so he turned himself around to go talk to her.

[colour=#cc0000]"Hello there! I couldn't help but overhear what you said, and I just wanted to tell you that I have the same ability as you."[/colour] Pyro smiled at the mare then. [colour=#cc0000]"We could be friends and practice together."[/colour]

Fire Heart was so lost in her thought that she hardly noticed the other ponies that were sharing the park with her. Suddenly a white colt appeared out of nowhere and started talking to her!

[colour=#ff0000]"Ahh," [/colour]the red unicorn said suddenly jumping back in surprise. Suddenly a wreath of flames appeared around her, not hurting her but merely acting as a second skin.

[colour=#ff0000]"Sorry, sorry sorry," [/colour]she said trying to calm herself down enough to extinguish the flames, [colour=#ff0000]"This must be a really awkward first impression for you. Er... what's your name?" [/colour]

Pyro had evidently surprised the mare, as she jumped back, bursting into flame. [colour=#cc0000]'Well, no doubt about her having fire magic now.' [/colour]Pyro thought to himself as the mare got her magic under control. [colour=#cc0000]"I didn't mean to surprise you, but ponies showing up out of nowhere can do that."[/colour] Pyro laughed, then tilted his head. [colour=#cc0000]"Awkward? No, that was awesome! How do you cover yourself in flames like that without getting hurt?"[/colour] Pyro sat down and muttered to himself for a bit, trying to figure out how to do what the mare had done. Eventually, Pyro realized she had asked him his name. [colour=#cc0000]"Sorry, I got distracted. My name's Pyro Blaze, but all my friends just call me Pyro. What's your name?"[/colour]

Fire Heart managed to get her flames down to a manageable level, one where although they were still present they were nearly out. Thankfully no pony around seemed to see her fire burst except for the white stallion who was actually interested in her.

[colour=#ff0000]"Err... thanks. That ability is... actually I don't really know how I do it. It's like a defense mechanism I put up. Whenever I'm excited or surprised or upset I just burst into flames. It really doesn't hurt me as it appears just above me, like a second skin I guess. Oh, and my name is Fire Heart, but you can just call me Fire Pyro. So, I take it you have the same ability?" [/colour]

Pyro watched the flames dance around Fire, somewhat mesmerized by them. Pyro eventually broke out of his trance and looked around. [colour=#cc0000]'How did nopony else see that? Oh well, at least this way nopony will bother us about it.'[/colour] Pyro thought to himself as Fire explained her ability.

[colour=#cc0000]"Second skin? Huh, I should try that sometime. I do, in a manner of speaking. I've never done what you did, but I can create fire like you do, so yeah. I have more control over it than you do, apparently, but mine gets wild as I become angry. I've always been good at controlling my emotions, so that helps. I come here a lot to burn off my anger, literally. My ability seems to use my anger as fuel to make the fire stronger. Do you come here often?"[/colour]

The unicorn seemed entranced by her, although she guessed it was the flames that were slowly dying off. Thankfully because he seemed to have similar abilities he seemed very calm with her sudden fiery outburst.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well it's really neat that you have a similar ability. I guess you do have a better control seeing as you're not bursting into flames right now. Why are you upset though? I know that everypony gets upset at a time, but do you have to burn off things often? I actually do come here often since I'm studying at Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. It's a place that I can get out of the class or the dorm." [/colour]

(Back now.)

Pyro sighed, [colour=#cc0000]"My friends and I are kind of dealing with some things right now, mostly it's just bullies. I actually come here most of the time just to go on a walk, but I have been coming pretty often recently."[/colour]

Pyro then looks over in the direction of the school. [colour=#cc0000]"You study at Celestia's school? So do I! I live at home though, so I just walk to school since it's not that far from my house."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Yeah I know how that is," [/colour]Fire Heart said thinking back to her own fillyhood in school, [colour=#ff0000]"I actually was bullied in school too, mainly because I didn't have my cutie mark and I was at first not really good with magic. Then one day I just kind of got angry at a bully and I suddenly burst into flames. The bully wasn't hurt or anything, but he was scared, and I ws scared since I didn't know what was going on. It took my teacher to calm me down, but that's when I first found out I could create fire and how my emotions affect it. After that I got my cutie mark. Hopefully your bullying will stop because that's not really nice." [/colour]

Fire Heart's eyes lit up when she heard that the older colt was enrolled in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns!

[colour=#ff0000]"Wow, really? Why haven't I seen you around before? I mean i know it's a big school, but surely I would have seen another pony that could create fire. I actually stay here in the dorms rather than go back home, even though I live not far from here in the city. I wanted to get the full experience and maybe make some friends in the process. Looks like I accomplished that last one with you! Anyway, besides you coming here, what else do you like to do?" [/colour]

[colour=#cc0000]"Yeah, I hope it stops too. I want to hurt them sometimes, but that's not really the best way to deal with bullies, so I mostly just ignore them."[/colour] Pyro looked up at the sky, reminiscing.[colour=#cc0000] "I got my cutie mark from an accident too. I kinda set my desk on fire, but the teacher got it out pretty quick, so that worked out well."[/colour] Pyro smiled as he looked back to Fire and saw her excitement in her eyes. [colour=#cc0000]"Maybe we just didn't notice each other. I don't use my fire in school very often, so I suppose you wouldn't have known unless you saw me use it. Besides, I'm in the more advanced classes, so that could be why too."[/colour] Pyro tilted his head then, [colour=#cc0000]"What else do I like to do? Hmm, let's see. I like to read, just fiction unless it's for school or about fire magic, and I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. I also like going to clubs and stuff like that. Sometimes I get jobs as a pyrotechnician for clubs or shows, and that's a pretty fun thing to do. I mean, I get paid to use my fire! What do you like to do?"[/colour]

Fire Heart was shocked that Pyro discovered his talent by accident like her, albeit more destructive than her. Then again she knew that many ponies discovered their talent and got their cutie marks by accident. The fact that he would flare up when he got angry was still a concern in her mind but for now the stallion looked fine.

[colour=#ff0000]"Hmm... that could be why we haven't seen each other, although you do kind of stand out with your fiery mane and tail. As for classes, I do take some advanced classes in school. Maybe we were just at the wrong place and the wrong time to meet each other." [/colour]

Fire listened as the stallion explained his interests. the unicorn seemed very interesting to her, the kind of pony that she'd like as a friend.

[colour=#ff0000]"Wow, sounds like we have lots in common. I like to read and music as well. I don't really go to any clubs though, but maybe I should. It's great to hear that you found your talent for shows. besides that, I like to dance, and I try to combine my fire magic with dancing. Want to see?" [/colour]

(Tomorrow I'm going to a youth group camp for a week, so no uploads from me till I get back)

[colour=#cc0000]"Yeah, I guess my style does kind of stick out."[/colour] Pyro chuckled as he listened to Fire talk. [colour=#cc0000]"Must have been that, I don't typically stick around after class, or talk with classmates after class either."[/colour] Pyro smiled as Fire talked about what she liked to do. [colour=#cc0000]"Certainly sounds like we do. You should go to a club, they're a lot of fun. Although, they can be pretty exiting, so i'm not sure if you want to go there if you're going to be suppressing your fire the entire time."[/colour] Pyro was surprised to hear that Fire liked to combine her magic with dancing. [colour=#cc0000]"I'd love to see one of your fire-dances, Fire."[/colour]

[colour=#cc0000]"Must have been that, I don't typically stick around after class, or talk with classmates after class either."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"That's probably why then. Usually I'm running from one class to the next, and it's only when I have a break between classes or at the end of the day that I get to talk with ponies." [/colour]

Fire thought about Pyro's request for her to go to a club. It sounded exciting but the fiery manned pony seemed to rescind his offer knowing Fire Heart's problem with her magic.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, I think I can control it if it's something exciting. It's only rare when I burst into flames when I'm excessively happy. Maybe you can show me a cool place to go since you seem to know more about the club scene." [/colour]

The red unicorn then smiled at the request from Pyro to dance. Dancing was something she loved to do ever since she was a filly. Her mother, a former professional dancer, used to teach her and now that she was older she kept practicing her moves.

[colour=#ff0000]"All right. Here it goes."[/colour]

Making sure she was far away from anypony or anything, Fire Closed her eyes and with a flicker of her horn a wreath of flames appeared around her mane and tail, making look like they were on fire. Then from the depths of her mind a song started playing, a fast tango, as clear as if it was playing in a concert hall. She began to dance to the music, even the slightest movement of her head or flanks causing the billowing flames to move. as she twisted and spun, the flames would encircle her, coming dangerously close to burning but stopping just in time. Finally the tango ended an she stopped, giving a slight bow as she opened her eyes and extinguished her flames.

[colour=#ff0000]"So, how did you like it?"[/colour]

Pyro nodded as he heard Fire talk. "Yep, same here." Pyro smiled, thinking of clubs he could take her to as he said, "A cool place, hmm..." He continued to think of clubs as he watched Fire danced what looked like a tango, flames flying around her as she danced. The flames looked like they touched her several times, but when they moved none of the spots looked burned at all. Pyro forgot what he was thinking about as he watched Fire's dance, focusing completely on her and her flames as she danced around. He almost didn't hear Fire's question he was so focused on her movements. "I think it was a great dance, very lovely." Pyro said as he smiled at her once again.

When she stopped dancing, Fire Heart noticed that Pyro stood mesmerized at her. Then again she didn't think it was exactly her that he was staring at but her fire dance. She had to admit that fire was a very hypnotic thing as a pony stared at a lit candle or a oaring fireplace. The flames had their own ways of dancing with the slightest wind, just as she danced with them, her movements coordinating with the subtle movements of the flames around her.

"Well I'm glad you like it," she said with a little laugh noticing that he was still staring at her intently like she was still dancing, "but you know that the dance is done so you can stop staring if you want."

"Anyway, can you show me some of your fire magic?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry. I love watching fire, got a little caught up in it." Pyro said, looking away and smiling a bit. "You want to see mine? Ok, hold on." Pyro said while he backed up, away from Fire.

"Okay. Here, we, go!" Pyro said, breathing between each word as flames sprung up in a ring around him. As soon as he said go, the flames sprung up over his head, shielding him from view. The flames then left the ground completely, slowly condensing into a ball with Pyro inside that looked like a small sun, that is it did before it expanded into a five pointed star. The star exploded outward before dissipating all together, singing the grass. Pyro landed on the ground, looked at Fire, and said, "How did you like that?"

Fire Heart watched as the stallion backed away from her. Whatever it was it was going to be a big spell! The white unicorn started out with a fire shield, something she learned how to do in school. But then he pulled the shield into a ball and then shaped it into a star that exploded! For a few seconds Fire stood amazed at the display.

"Wow, that was amazing! I can see why some ponies need you for their concerts. You definitely have the control down."

A thought then popped into her mind, something that she was interested in trying but couldn't do so until now.

"Hey Pyro, I was thinking of trying another spell, something I've been wanting to try but never did, but this one I need your help with this one. I wondered what would happen if two ponies combined their magic, especially if they were the same type. You know like you and I? So what if we crossed our magic? What do you think? Do you want to try it?"

Pyro chuckled at Fire as she just stood there, looking a little dumbfounded by his magic display. "Now look who's staring at who." Pyro said just before she snapped out of it. "Glad you liked it, that was the first time I tried that demonstration."

He watched as Fire seemed to light up as if she had just had a wonderful idea. Pyro smiled and listened to her as she spoke.

"Another spell, something you've never done, and it requires two ponies. Hmmm, crossing magic with another pony sounds very interesting. Let's do it!" Pyro said, getting ready. Before he cast any spells, he remembered that he didn't even know what kind of spell he should be using. "Um, what kind of spell should I use?"

"Oh sorry," Fire said after realizing she too was staring at his magic, "Guess I was distracted too."

She then thought about what she wanted with her spell when it came to having Pyro Blaze assist with.

"Well, I don't have anything specific. Really I was trying to see what would happen if two spells were done at the same time but crossed. So, how about we start by both of us creating a fireball and then merging our separate ones together. How's that sound?"

"Fireball, got it." Pyro said as he got ready again. "Sounds fine to me."

Pyro created his fireball and made it float there next to him. It wasn't a big fireball, but he thought it was big enough for what they were doing, so he didn't try to make it any bigger than it already was.

"Ready whenever you are, let's do this!"

Fire Heart watched as Pyro made his fireball, letting it rest nearby him. She was glad he made only a little one as she wasn't sure how this crossing of magic would be. The fact that they were two ponies with their talents in fire magic only added to the danger.

"Ok then, let me make a fireball too," Fire Heart said as her horn glowed. A fireball about the same size as Pyro's emerged from her horn which she sent outward a short distance in front of her.

"Now if you would go so you're a little ways apart from me but facing me then we can combine our magic better."

Fire looked a little relieved by the size of Pyro's fireball, so he smiled and chuckled to himself. He watched her as she created her own fireball about the same size as his own, then moved over to where she had directed and turned back towards her.

"This looks far enough, so let's get this done." Pyro said, bracing himself for whatever may happen.

Satisfied with how well the experiment was going, it now came for the most important and most dangerous part. She and Pyro had to merge the individual fireballs into one. There were several thoughts running through her mind, like whether the two ponies' magic would repel each other or if the fireball would explode. Well, the only way to know was to try.

"Alright Pyro, we need to do this in synch with each other. On the count of three we will push out fireballs together. Now there may be resistance but keep trying to merge your magic with mine."

She paused as took one last look at the fireball that hovered in front of her, burning like a miniature sun.

"One..."

She cleared her mind, pushing out any extra thoughts.

"Two..."

She dug her hooves into the ground in case there was any push back from the magic.

"Three," she said as she pushed her fireball towards the center where she hoped Pyro's magic would meet at the same time.

Pyro smiled as Fire directed him to not give up. He never gave up on a task until it was proved to be impossible to complete. Pyro noticed that Fire was having some second thoughts. He chuckled and said, "A little worried, are we?"

As Fire counted to three, Pyro dug his hooves into the ground to get ready for the push. As soon as Fire reached three, Pyro basically threw his fireball forward. The ball streaked towards Fire's fireball until they met in the middle.

Archived