Wearable Art (Open)

Lux

"That's quite interesting," Mr Waddle said, "come to think of it, neither Pigpen nor I have seen any other feral animals since we've been here, aside from the Crystal Sheep. The animals in Ponyville seem to be very intelligent, but Fluttershy's the only pony who has a special ability to understand all animals."

"Hay! My flies can understand me!" Pigpen neighed defensively as his loyal flies still orbited his head.

"Sorry friend, I stand corrected," the elderly Earth stallion giggled as Pigpne watched Diamond Cut to see what jeweled pet collars he had.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Diamond Cut looked for the pet jewelry, he marveled at hearing about this Fluttershy who seemed to have a talent in communicating and understanding animals. Of course the crystal pony knew that ponies had different talents, ones that were as many and different as the stars. Yet there were the occasional moments when he was surprised by this fact.

Diamond Cut then found what he was looking for, a collection of pet collars. Admittedly he didn't have much of anything to speak for, particularly because his business was to make jewelry for ponies not animals. Still he made a few just in case there were some who wished to clad their pets in gems and precious metals.

"Well, I don't have that many, but I have made these," Diamond said showing a tray with a few collars. The collars were all made of a faux leather with semi precious stones. One was a collar with garnet and obsidian, another quartz and obsidian, a third jade and obsidian, and a fourth blue turquoise with quartz.

"Any that catch your eye for you raccoon friend?"

Pigpen marvelled at all of the collars Diamond Cut was showing him. He had never seen anything like them, not even in his own Antique shop back home! Even Mr Waddle was impressed.

"You made all of these yourself? Remarkable!" the elderly stallion neighed.

"I couldn't have said it better myself!" added Pigpen as he carefully examined each of the collars. "Very pretty, all of them! And so well made too! So hard to decide. Flies? Which of these do you think Rascal would like best?"

The flies orbiting the smelly stallion's head now flew over to the collars, and began to orbit the collar with the blue turquoise with quartz.

"Thanks guys! I'll trust your judgment! Diamond Cut, that's the collar I want to buy! How much is it?"

"Why yes I did make these," Diamond Cut said proudly, "Well, actually everything here that you see I made. Except the shop though, somepony else made that. I admit it was a little harder to make something for a pet since I don't have one, but basically i thought about making a bracelet and just making it smaller to fit around an animal's neck."

Diamond watched as Pigpen's trained flies were tasked to pick a collar. So far these trained creatures amazed the crystal pony, but choosing an item would be something even more amazing. To his delight the flies chose the turquoise collar.

"Good choice. Actually all of these collars are twenty bits each."

"Only twenty bits? That's wonderful!" Pigpen neighed as he started to reach for his moneybag. His hooves started to search his shaggy, untidy coat. The mere act of the search began to stir up a growing cloud of dust.

"Be careful, Pigpen," Mr Waddle said as the elderly stallion backed away from his friend. Finally, Pigpen found his moneybag and pulled it out.

"Ah! Here we are, twenty bits! I just KNOW Rascal will love it!" the shaggy, unkempt stallion neighed as his loyal flies continued to orbit his head a little faster as if they were celebrating with him.

"Oh my," Mr Waddle said as he walked over to Diamond Cut. "You have a very fine store here, Diamond Cut. How do you acquire your precious stones? Are they plentiful in the Crystal Empire?"

As Pigpen began to search for his money a cloud of dist appeared, filling the crystal pony's nostrils with dirt.

"Achooo," Diamond sneezed as he tried to wave away the dust while his eyes began to water. He was so fixated with the dust that he almost forgot about the bits given him.

"Well, I'm glad you like it. As for how I find the stones, they're common here in and around the Empire. So I basically go outside of the city area and dig a few test holes. if I find gems there, I make a note and then return there to find them. I actually have a map of the Empire with areas where I dug for gems. So how about in Ponyville? Are there lots of gems there or ponies who did for them like me?"

"Oh yes, gems are quite plentiful all over Equestria," Mr Waddle said with a smile, "In fact, jewels are not only sold by vendors, they are used in fashions."

"That's right," Pigpen added, "there's a famous fashionesta unicorn named Rarity who is always using gems in her designs. Since I work in Ponyville, I collect her garbage too and let me tell ya, she throws away some of the finest trash in the city! Don't say anything to anypony, but some of her discarded items I've spruced up and sold in my Antique Shoppe! May I ask, Diamond Cut, is there garbage collection in the Crystal Empire? If so, who does it?"

"What a question to ask our new friend! Shame on you, Pigpen!"

"Hay! I'm just curious, ok?"

"Hmm... they're common in Ponyville too, eh? Maybe when i pay this place a visit I'll have to go hunting for these gems. I'm always looking for new places to find them! I could imagine that I'm not the only one who uses gems for fashions."

Diamond Cut then listened as Pigpen explained about a pony named Rarity who used gems as well. Before the crystal pony could inquire, the earth pony mentioned how he would literally search through her trash to find interesting things! Even stranger was the fact that he asked where the trash was taken in the Crystal Empire!

"Err... I guess you might find interesting things in the trash. I never rooted through a garbage can or anything like so I can't really say. I know ponies do collect trash here, but where they put it I can't be sure. I'm sure though that it's far away from the Empire though so those visiting, working and living here don't get the smell of trash. I have a trash bin that I keep bits of metals and things I can't use, although for most scraps I melt down together for other jewelry? Anyway, what type of things does this Rarity make? Does she create jewelry?"

"Diamond Cut, I don't root around in trash," Pigpen politely explained, "I FIND things other ponies discard in their garbage in the course of doing my duties in Ponyville. It's sort of a fringe benefit of my career path!"

"To answer your question, sir," Mr Waddle added, "Miss Rarity owns and operates a fashion boutique in Ponyville. All of the gems she gathers are used in her fashion creations. Things like dresses, hats, pantsuits. Rarity has quite a talent for finding and using gems in her designs."

"Yep! She's the best fashion pony in Ponyville! She even designed and created outfits for the great Saphhire Shores, the Pony of Pop! Have you here in the Crystal Empire ever heard of her? She's quite a famous entertainer!"

"Oh so sorry," Diamond Cut said after reviewing in his mind that he may have sounded too harsh. It was hard for him to fathom how a pony could find useful things in the trash to sell to ponies.

"It does sound neat that you can find things while picking up trash that you can fix or otherwise resell to ponies. Guess I don't have an eye for what's good and what's not."

Diamond then listened in about the fashion designer named Rarity. "so she makes outfits with gems? That's interesting. I guess I thought that gems would be best suited for jewelry but i can see it working for things like dresses. Of course I don't think i'm that fashion friendly to make clothing like. As for Sapphire Shores, I personally haven't seen her but I heard someponies talking about her. Maybe I should meet this Rarity and Sapphire one day."

"If I were to fathom a guest," Pigpen said with a smile, "Saphirre Shores will probably come touring in the Crystal Empire someday. She's quite famous, do you have any of her record albums? Come to think of it, are there any record players in the Crystal Empire?"

"Pigpen does bring up an interesting point," Mr Waddle said calmly. "The Empire's been gone for a thousand years. There has been much progress made during that span of time. Things like airships, phonographs, typewriters, and the like. How have you Crystal ponies been able to accept all of this new technology into your daily lives?"

"I'd guess Princess Cadance has been helpful with introducing new things to her realm, right Diamond Cut?"

"Well then it looks likes I should meet her when she comes here for a tour."

Diamond Cut thought about what records were, guessing that somehow there was now a way to record one's voice so others could hear them even when not actually being near them. But there was something else that was more earth shaking than the news of a new technology, the fact that the empire had been gone for such a time.

"Has it been that long," the jeweler said staring at the two customers, "I knew that we were gone for a while after... him, but I didn't think it was that long. So much must have changed during that time. I can only imagine the world outside the Crystal Empire would be nothing like that anypony here remembered it as. But yes I do see new things coming into the Empire from the rest of Equestria everyday. Maybe I'll get this phonograph you mentioned one day. And although I have yet to meet Princess Cadence, I guess she is trying to get the Crystal Empire back into the culture of the rest of Equestria."

"Oh dear," Mr Waddle said with a note of concern in his voice, "we certainly didn't mean to cause you to be sad. My friend and I thought all of the Crystal ponies knew how long the Empire had been away from the rest of the world."

"Yes Diamond Cut," added Pigpen, "we didn't mean to put any stress on you. So, the Princess hasn't been here yet? I would think she'd come and see all of these magnificent gem creations."

"Indeed! Being royalty and all I would suspect that Princess Cadance has a taste for the finer things in life, especially fine jewelry."

"Maybe you should send her an written invitation! Betcha Mr. Waddle could help you write it, he's really good with words."

"True, and I would be very willing to assist you, Diamond Cut!"

"We do know for the most part," Diamond Cut said to Mr. Waddle, "It's just that many of us are still coping with it. A thousand years has gone by in the blink of an eye and everything around our little Empire has changed. I know things aren't going to be fixed easily but we are still trying. But I know you two weren't trying to upset me so I'm ok."

The crystal pony's ears perked up when the two customers asked if they could help him write a letter to Princess Cadence requesting that she visit the store. To have a member of royalty visit and perhaps even purchase one of his jeweled works of art would be a great event, one that perhaps would attract others to the store from the Empire and maybe beyond.

"You know, I'd like it if Princess Cadence would come one day to see what at least one Crystal Pony has to offer the Empire. But yes, an invitation perhaps would be just the thing as maybe she does not know what I have here. I'd really like the help creating an invitation as every business I've done here in the past has been mainly by word of mouth. So, how should I start? Oh, guess getting a paper and some ink would be the first part."

With that Diamond searched under the counter where the cash register was for a quill, an ink pot, and some paper. He tried to find the fanciest of his stock, hoping that it would work.

"Ok,here's the best I have at the moment. Now how do I start? Dear Princess Cadence? Your Highness?"

"Perhaps you should begin with, 'Your Royal Majesty'." Mr Waddle offered. "I think that would appeal to the Princess."

"I've met Princess Cadance before, and she really seems to be nice," Pigpen added, "Dear Princess Cadance will work fine for a letter greeting, what do you flies think of that?"

Pigpen's loyal flies quickly buzzed into a formation that spelled out the word, 'YES".

"Well, no offensve to your, little friends, Pigpen, but I disagree! I believe Your Royal Majesty is a more proper greeting."

"Princess Cadance is a real down to earth mare! She doesn't need a fancy greeting on her letters."

"It's all about proper royal ettique, Mr. Pigpen!"

As he held the quill in his hoof, Diamond Cut waited for the ponies to help him. Writing Your Royal Majesty seemed good, but then Pigpen proposed another informal opening. For a moment the crystal pony watched the two friends argue about which was better for a first time letter to the Princess.

"No offense Pigpen but I think using 'Your Highness' sounds better that 'Dear Princess.' Maybe after I send this letter and after I meet the Princess future ones can be written with 'Dear Princess.' Ok, so now that I have that part decided, I want to invite her to basically visit my store, but I want it to be formal. Maybe 'You are cordially invited?"

"Sounds wonderful, Diamond Cut!" Mr. Waddle neighed in agreement. "Don't you think so, Pigpen?"

"Well, since you put it that way, I would have to agree," Pigpen said with a nod. "Ok, now that that's settled, I know a very fast way for that letter to be delivered once it's written. In fact, my way will get that letter to Princess Cadance within a few minutes!"

"Your flies, Pigpen?"

"Of course with my pet flies! They'd love to do the job for you, Diamond Cut! Right guys?"

The orbiting flies immediately flew upward in a tight formation and then moved together to spell out the word, 'YES' in midair.

"See? They'd be able to fly that letter straight to the Princess in no time! Whatdoya say, pal?"

Diamond Cut was amazed the more he got to know the two ponies in his shop their unique personalities. In particular he was fascinated by the fact that Pigpen's flies not only could form words but could deliver things. It would be a sight for the Princess to see the tiny insects delivering a letter a hundred times their size, but Diamond wondered if flies were a good impression to show for his store.

"Well, I suppose that the flies can deliver this if it's a fast way to go. Now let me see if I can write this invitation."

The Crystal Pony worked hard on the letter pausing frequently between quill strokes to think about what to say next. Finally he set the quill down and checked it over.

"Alright, here's the finished invitation. Let me know if it's ok."

Diamond cleared his throat and bean to read the note.

"Your Highness, Princess Cadence,

You are cordially invited to my jewelry shop, Wearable Art , in the Crystal Empire. Here I make the finest quality jewelry for all ponies who wish to have a little artistic flair to their lives. As a pony who knows about the finer things in life I am sure you would appreciate my store and my talent for making such wearable works of art. If you wish to visit my store, please let me know when you are arriving so that I may properly greet you and give you a private tour of the shop.

Sincerely,

Diamond Cut"

Both Mr. Waddle and Pigpen applauded, of course as the unkempt clapped his front hooves together repeatedly, it created a small cloud of dust.

"Brilliant my dear friend, brilliant! Well written indeed!" the elderly Earth stallion neighed. "That letter will surely be well accepted by Princess Cadance!"

"I agree! Wonderful words!" added Pigpen as he turned to his fly friends. "What do you guys think?"

Zooming out of their orbiting of Pigpen's head, the flies flew high up to 'spell out' the word: "YES"

"See that, even my flies love your letter! I always consult with them when I have to write letters or fill out forms. They are surprisingly smart! So Diamond Cut, my offer still stands! My flies would be honored to carry that invitation directly to the Princess. What do you say?"

For a moment Diamond was worried that his letter wouldn't pass the ponies' approval in his store, forcing him to write another. It would be a minor inconvenience, but still enough to make him have to be careful yet again that he didn't make an error with the ink. To his delight both ponies liked the short invitation. Why even Pigpen's flies approved of the letter!

"Well, I'm glad you all like the invitation. Guess i wasn't that bad at letter writing after all! But yes Pigpen, I'd be happy if your flies could deliver the letter."

"Fantastic, Diamond Cut!" Pigpen neighed, "all you have to do is get it sealed and ready to send. My flies will do the rest. Mr. Waddle and I have toured the Crystal Empire enough that they know where to take the invitation."

"Oh yes," added Mr. Waddle, "Pigpen and I have been here taking in the Crystal Empire all day. Of course, this day hasn't been free of incident. I can remember when we went to the Petting Zoo that his flies frightened the crystal ewes so much they nearly broke out of their pen."

"Hay! Is it MY fault that the sheep here have never seen flies before?"

"Well, no, of course not. But then you made all that fuss when we tried to enter the library."

"That old librarian mare wouldn't let me go inside with my flies! The way I feel, if my flies ain't welcome, I ain't welcome either!"

"And need I mention what happened when we toured the castle?"

"I kinda wish, you wouldn't," Pigpen said with an embarrassed look on his face.

As he sealed the envelope, Diamond Cut listened as the two ponies spoke about their time in the Crystal Empire, and what seemed their issues they had.

"Well it seems that you two had seen much of the Crystal Empire. For a moment I thought you just stepped off the train and came here first. I'm glad to hear that you did see much of the area though. Since you mentioned the fact that the crystal ewes didn't like the flies, I'd imagine that thinking back to your previous comment that yes I guess they're not common in the empire. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel welcomed in the library Pigpen. That is a really nice place to visit, as is of course the palace."

Giving the envelope one final check, Diamond smiled at his accomplishment.

"Well looks like this letter is ready to go. Pigpen and flies, feel free to do the honors."

0JvgaeH.png

Plans were slowly beginning to come to fruition. With a worrying little knot in her brow, Lilac Briolette began to weave her way through the crowds in the Crystal Empire. It seemed as though more tourists were pouring in every day, and though the prima ballerina usually delighted in helping newcomers see the beauties of her beloved home, today the mare was in a more thoughtful place.

Lilac had come to a decision not long ago (though she was still flip-flopping a little), to go out into the world and learn all she could of Equestria first-hoof. Her dreams of becoming prima ballerina assoluta in the Trillion Ballet Company still fueled her, but there was something else lurking in her heart, a vision that became more demanding of her attentions every day. She wanted to create her own ballet, she wanted to tell the story of her home and its ponies, and she wanted it to blend her now archaic, classical style with the styles of contemporary dance throughout Equestria. The only way to do that would be to experience Equestria for herself.

So that was exactly what she would do. Travel Equestria and absorb all that she could. And while she did that, she would carry the solo number that came to her in a fervor of artistic creation, the opening dance to her ballet that told the story of the Crystal Empire. And with it, why, she would busk! She couldn't just walk into a new town and demand use of their dance halls, after all, so the mare would take her choreography to the streets

But of course, in order to do that she would need to be dressed to face the world! Her morning had started with visits to her favourite tailors and seamstresses, and now she needed to take care of accessories. Though the mare normally garbed herself in breezy numbers that allowed for freedom of movement, with precious few accessories to bog her down, if she were to travel through Equestria she would have a certain reputation to carry with her. Lilac Briolette was of the artistic elite in the Crystal Empire, so it was her duty to represent her community. When she wasn't dancing, she would wear the latest and best her beautiful home had to offer in fashion.

And so, with that on her mind and a knot in her belly that accompanied her decision to leave all she knew behind in order to experience the world, Lilac Briolette stepped into a shop she had not yet visited: Wearable Art.

The crystalline dancer was not the only pony present, however. Two visitors, earth ponies, were occupying the owner’s time. Well, she couldn’t avoid greeting the visitors to the Crystal Empire any longer it seemed! Unable to melt her ice queen exterior, Lilac approached the shopkeep and his customers with an elegant stride.

“Good day,” she said politely, dipping her head in a little bow towards the earth ponies, “And welcome to the Crystal Empire.”

She offered the shopkeep an odd, tight little smile as well. The closest thing to a beam the mare could conjure at will. But then it hit her. The smell. She gave the two earth stallions before her a one-over glance, and realized that accompanying the elderly gentlecolt was a…smelly, fly-ridden-

But no, no, it would do no good to judge. She was judged, once, as a clumsy, talentless filly who would never own the stage. She proved ponies wrong in her lifetime, and she had proven herself wrong. She knew better then to judge. The smelly stallion was likely a kind soul beneath all that…dirt. So she would not allow herself to wrinkle her nose. Luckily, dance demanded a certain level of acting as well, and though it wasn’t terribly easy Lilac managed to maintain her cool expression. It would be rude to make a face, no matter how upset her nose felt!

Hearing Diamond Cut's letter was ready, Pigpen set a hoof up to his mouth and gave a loud whistle, his loyal flies hovered at attention.

"Ok guys, you know what to do, take this invitation to the Princess!" the shaggy, unkempt stallion said as the flies buzzed over to the envelope, picked it up and then proceeded to fly out an open window with it. When Pigpen turned back around, he spotted the newcomer who was giving a grand greeting to himself and Mr Waddle.

"We thank you, kind mare," Mr Waddle said, the elderly stallion returning her bow.

"Pleasure to meetcha, ma'am," added Pigpen as he also bowed, but during the bowing motion, a cloud of dirt was produced, floating slowly upward towards the ceiling.

Diamond Cut watched as the flies airlifted the treasured envelope out the window. The crystal pony hoped that it would reach its destination and not meet some calamity along the way. That was the only fear of him not hoof delivering the letter personality, that unknown time between the letter going from Point A to B. His thoughts though were interrupted by the sound of the bell above the door ringing, signaling another customer. This new one was a crystal pony like him, a short and slender mare who seemed to have an elegant way to her. He didn't know if she was some kind of famous or noble pony but it didn't hurt to treat her as such.

"Good day," the white stallion said returning the bow, "and welcome to my shop, Wearable Art. My name is Diamond Cut, owner and operator. And what is your name miss?"

Archived