Hello there! I'm a fan of the persona series by shin megami tensei one of my favorites in the series being persona 4 because of the way the titular personae are obtained. Namely by facing your own darkest natures and the feeling you have that you don't wish to acknowledge. An example would be how one of the early main characters named chie is confronted by her shadow who says the only reason she hangs on to her softspoken and more traditionally attractive friend is because she doesn't wish to lose the feeling of control she has over her in their friendship.

Anyway! Since the ponies of mlp and your own Ocs likely have their own faults and foibles and things in their life they'd rather not talk about or acknowledge this could be a nice chance to get these things fleshed out.

here are some things you could talk about.

What would your shadow pony confront you with? Immaturity? an inferiority complex to somepony else? how would they act since they tend to embody your Oc's negative traits dialed up to eleven? What would it take for your Oc to face themselves?!

Don't be shy and step right up in fact I'll go first.

My Current only oc would be my unicorn, Presteza. Her shadow would likely confront her with the fact she hates her parent's lifestyle as richponies in trottingham (and by extension) , even when she does love them greatly. Other things she would bring up is how she is unable to do magic normally or control her magic without the aid of her favorite paintbrush. Last but not least it would tell her she could never achieve her dream of being Equestria's greatest artist because of all her faults such as her headstrong nature and tendency to act before thinking. Also she would call her out for being jealous of unicorns who can cast spells normally and have more skill with traditional magic than she does.

Hehe. I really love Persona 4. Seriously the best. :)

And I also enjoy analyzing my OCs with these kinds of things, so I'll bite.... Gonna skip some though, since I have so many characters... :P

Pegasi:

Radiant Steel - Probably the most obvious one since her complexes are so immediately apparent to me. Radiant's shadow would appear wearing a frilly pink dress and a fake alicorn horn and speak like an over-excited child. She would confront Radiant with the bottled up resentment she has for her family and her upbringing and the fact that she deep down wants to leave everything behind and fly off on a magical storybook adventure. She is still ultimately an immature child who knows nothing of the world beyond that which she is familiar with, and the tough act she puts on is the same as her armor; a shield to mask her vulnerabilities, that's why she has come to cling to both.

Snowfall - Snowfall's shadow would appear wearing an immaculate white suit, mane tied in the back and styled in the front like her father's. With vacant eyes and a monotone voice, she would profess that Snow, despite all her enthusiasm about living her own free life and making her own choice, in her heart is really clinging to her father's shadow which she still inhabits. She has allowed his memory and her mother's efforts guide her down a path of emptiness, and Pathfinder and anything else extravagant she tries to surround herself with is just a naïve and childish attempt to distract her from how hollow and lonely her life has been.

Serendipity - Seren is difficult since she's so open by design. I suppose her shadow would have a sort of evil, demonic expression to it. She would confront Seren with the idea that she truly doesn't care about anything. Her life is a meaningless series of events and she just tries to fill it with as many names, faces and places in a vain attempt to convince herself otherwise. She is wicked at heart, her only true pleasure coming from spurning others and watching them crash painfully.

Crystal Snowflake - Crystal's shadow would look a little younger and have a disheveled mane. She would suggest that every action Crystal ever took in her life was one of callous and selfish rebellion and that in her heart she has not known happiness since her time as a simple Cloudsdale weather mare. She constructs walls around herself because she wants to control other's perspectives so that they'll respect or pity her but in truth, none of it means anything to her beyond that.

Earth ponies:

Midnight Brand - Midnight's shadow would be angry and callous in expression. She would express that the cold and violent pony Midnight was to start with had never changed and would never change. She is just lying to herself because she is afraid and doesn't know how to deal with raising Hopesong, who ultimately is really just holding her back.

Starless Shroud - Starless' shadow would have both her eyes and be wearing a red dress. She would sassily confront Starless with the fact that she is weak at heart. She has never recovered from the loss of her mother, and lashing out at what she perceives as weakness on her mother's part, has tried to annihilate or cover up any shred of her own weakness through emulating her father and generally rebelling and breaking the law. She has been running her whole life, but beyond everything else it is from her own weakness.

Harlequin Salad - Harlequin's shadow would have a more serious demeanor. She would confront her with the fact that deep down she knows full well how futile and misshapen her dreams are. She keeps up her chipper attitude and relentless optimism because she doesn't know how to stop, and she wouldn't know what to do with herself without the one thing she has to cling to, her dream. She thinks somehow that if she can continue to deceive herself into believing, maybe the deception will spread and she'll be able to achieve what she wants, all while knowing this is impossible.

Slick Noir - Slick's shadow would be dressed in a prison stripes and look particularly haggard. He would profess that no matter what he does now, Slick is a prisoner of his own constructs. His entire life has been spent trying to beat the system and live by his own rules, but ultimately his rules have long already put him in a box. The only reason he even makes an attempt at anything now is out of fool pride and the vain hope his daughter will somehow see and recognize his accomplishments. Whether free or behind bars, he is shackled, and after what happened in his past that is the fate he feels deep down he deserves.

Unicorns:

Dazzle Dawn - Dazzle's shadow would solemn and gloomy. She would express that Dazzle clings to others and butts into their lives in an attempt to mask her own shortcomings. Ultimately she is ashamed of her own lack of worth and inability to be anything more than average in anyone area, so she consciously just attempts to make as many friends as she possibly can just so her life has an increase in perceived value. In truth, the friends she has collected are just window dressing to boost her ego and make more attractive her useless, average self.

Arcana - Arcana's shadow would be scared and childlike. She would propose that Arcana is ultimately still a miserable foal, deathly afraid of loss. Her mother's death, her initial separation from Dazzle, her inability to form connections with family or schoolmates just lead to unscalable walls of guarded bitterness and loathing of everything, self included that not even she can scale at this point. Ultimately she just does what she does now for attention and because she wants to belong again somewhere and at this point, the only way she can bring that about is by forcing everyone else to see the sort of misfortune she has.

Steel Dagger - Dagger's shadow would dress in a full REA dress uniform, mane combed straight. He would express that Dagger has ultimately lived his life in the vain hope of proving himself and earning the acknowledgement of others, especially his father. His loose lifestyle is just a narcissistic show to promote his own ego and that beyond the one-upmanship and artifice, he is just another uniform, as stubborn and prideful as the father he resents.

Crystal Ponies:

Alexandrite Tilt - Alexa's shadow would be wearing shackles. She would confront her with her lingering regret over her failings during Sombra's reign. She can hide behind her lance skills and victory at the joust, but her inability to rise up and successfully do anything when it truly mattered for her people has left a scar that runs deep, and the fact that it was all outsiders who ultimately did what she could not and rescued her Empire just has her questioning her own worth and the worth of what she stands for. She puts forth a composed face, but in truth her entire world has been shaken at its very foundation and she is left with no real way to deal with it.

Tourmaline Glass - Tourmaline's shadow would be smiling. She would propose that Tourmaline truly wants to belong; she desires friendships. What happened in the empire, it just left her feeling frightened, confused and vulnerable. She is unable to adjust now, so she just throws up walls and indulges in the few things she does still understand fully while feigning what she perceives as maturing and rejecting everything else. Ultimately, by convincing herself she's mature, she is able to convince herself that nothing she has seen frightens her and that she doesn't need to rely on others to face any of it.

Others:

Sierra - Sierra's shadow would probably be larger than her and more feral. It would express that Sierra has knowingly lived her life in denial of her own nature, because she wanted nothing more than to belong. She is in fact as greedy and selfish as any dragon, it just manifests in her as a want for relationships and affections. She spends so much of her time exploring wildernesses, because some part of her still expects that she might someday find a home more perfect than any she has known previously.

Brenda Razorclaw - Brenda's shadow would appear with the scar across her face still red. She would confront Brenda with how she has let herself become a monster. Driven by her own deep-rooted narcissism, she has spent her whole life purposefully alienating others and trading relationships and trust for material things that only matter to her because she doesn't want others to have them, because she enjoys the attention that comes with being scorned and hated. She has allowed her world to become so warped that the only things that there is nothing left in it that matters to her but the satisfaction attained from paining others.

• 1 month later...

I love the Persona series. P4 had a much more creative Persona origin than P3. Thus I am obliged to reply here.

Regal Steel: Regal's shadow would in my mind be a bit more masculine, and blunly state its feelings, & opinions; representing Regal's sometimes forced etiquette and femininity. She isn't as much of a girly girl as she feels the need to act like. She is also very opinionated but hides it to seem polite. Additionally her shadow would be shy when around stallions as Regal tends to act like a fool around them.

Vindict: i think her shadow would differently bad news for everyone. very aggressive, hostile, cruel, and fully believe in changeling superiority, she would be a bulkier due to regular feedings, i think her shadow would be stronger than the real one.

Delirious (Vindict's son): his shadow would be well ordered, everything would be well thought out and planed, he would be well groomed and all.