cutie marks...?

Angie Cakes

I looked around a bit and I didn't see anything about this, but I feel like somebody must have brought up this point by now...

does anybody else think that the idea of a cutie mark is somewhat sad? well not really sad, but... um...

can a cutie mark change? because I feel like if I was a pony, I'd probably be stuck with something that I really don't like.

when I was little, I REALLY loved cats. I always researched them, I collected cat toys (I had over 100 stuffed cats when I was little), I always got along with cats --even the mean ones. everybody in my class knew me as the cat girl and if there was anything they wanted to know about cats, they could ask me. I thought that I'd never outgrow cats. I probably would've had a cat-related cutie mark

now that I'm older and I have outgrown cats for the most part, I wouldn't want to have a cat as my cutie mark. I think now my special talent would be more art or computer-related.

it seems like it would be really sad to have a cutie mark because you discovered who you were, but it doesn't represent who you are now... people and ponies change. what makes them special at one point in their life, isn't necessarily what makes them special at a different point in their life... :unsure:

EDIT-----------------------------------------------------

I'm deleting all my edits because they were stupid XD

it seems like it would be really sad to have a cutie mark because you discovered who you were, but it doesn't represent who you are now... people and ponies change. what makes them special at one point in their life, isn't necessarily what makes them special at a different point in their life... :D

In all honesty, I'm not sure it works like that for ponies. It seems that for them a cutie mark is a destiny of sorts. It always relates to what they like/want in life. Consider:

1) A cutie mark always seems to relate to a special talent that the pony is good at, even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Consider Twlight, who could barely do magic when she was young, until that fateful day at the entrance exam. Pinkie Pie didn't even know what a party was until she threw one for her family etc. So even if you really loved cats, if it wasn't your destiny, you wouldn't have gotten a cat cutie mark (a kitty mark? :unsure:)

2) A cutie mark doesn't stop a pony from doing anything else they want to do. Pinkie is good at throwing parties (hence the :Pinkie: ) but she also works as a baker. Applejack works on the apple farm, but she is also an athelete who enters rodeos.

3) Thus far we have never seen a pony complain about his/her cutie mark.

I think it's safe to say that ponies probably view cutie marks as something that tells them who they are and what they can be, rather than any kind of constraint. Humans change throughout life, but perhaps ponies just always find their true path early in life. Hence why I say it's destiny.

My personal theory is that the Princesses created the cutie marks all those centuries ago as a way of making sure that every pony felt special, no matter what.

ah, that is a good point :unsure: I forgot that I need to be more open to things like destiny when we're talking about ponies...

I had something to add here, but I forget what it was ._.

I'm pretty sure Cutie Marks don't evolve. They also don't have to necessarily be what a pony does for a living or does for fun. Look at Rarity for example. We all know she's a Fashionista, but her talent is to find gems. That's actually her real talent and her real magic, and it has nothing to actually do with making clothes! But because it ties in so easily with what she does enjoy doing for a living, it's a compatible talent that she can use along with her true passion. So a pony's cutie mark doesn't necessarily mean that they are required or limited to it.

So if, for example, you had a cutie mark of a kitty, it could be that you just have a special attachment to cats and have something special around them (Maybe they just inherently like you, maybe you love to lounge in sunbeams, who know) but it'd be something about it that made you special but doesn't necessarily limit you in any way from doing anything else you enjoy. After all, a Sunbeam-lounging pony could still enjoy being a coal miner. :)

I'm pretty sure Cutie Marks don't evolve. They also don't have to necessarily be what a pony does for a living or does for fun. Look at Rarity for example. We all know she's a Fashionista, but her talent is to find gems. That's actually her real talent and her real magic, and it has nothing to actually do with making clothes! But because it ties in so easily with what she does enjoy doing for a living, it's a compatible talent that she can use along with her true passion. So a pony's cutie mark doesn't necessarily mean that they are required or limited to it.

So if, for example, you had a cutie mark of a kitty, it could be that you just have a special attachment to cats and have something special around them (Maybe they just inherently like you, maybe you love to lounge in sunbeams, who know) but it'd be something about it that made you special but doesn't necessarily limit you in any way from doing anything else you enjoy. After all, a Sunbeam-lounging pony could still enjoy being a coal miner. :)

This is pretty much what I think, so I don't have to make a wall of text, I am just going to quote it.

Derpy Hooves is a nother is a nother great example since she is Ponyville's offical mailmare and her cutie mark has nothing to do with it. Her talent is still a mystery for me. :unsure:

i agree wholeheartedly with op's original opinion

it gets even more pitiable when you consider diamond tiara and silver spoon, whose special purpose in life is...that they're rich (and if they were to ever lose this part of their life, well...)

i can't help but feel really bad for both these characters :<

i agree wholeheartedly with op's original opinion

it gets even more pitiable when you consider diamond tiara and silver spoon, whose special purpose in life is...that they're rich (and if they were to ever lose this part of their life, well...)

i feel really bad for both these characters :D

ah, I knew there was somewhere were this idea came from XD I forgot that those were the characters that got me into thinking about this in the first place

9085%20-%20Diamond_Tiara.png

This was in fact what inspired my to app for Diamond Tiara in the first place. I knew there had to be more to a cutie mark than just "being rich" or "wearing a tiara". So I made it so that it symbolises both her knack for showing off (let's face it, a tiara is an accessory that just sceams "look at me!") and her love of jewellery.

Also: D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW :(